Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Autechresaint posted:

What kind of bird is that. Movie is too low budget for it to have been animatronic

the cool kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

When the girls up the road hear about my Pokemon collection.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Shorsey? That you?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Frank Frank posted:

Shorsey? That you?

gently caress you, Frankey. Is that what your mom asked when you were at the door and then looked disappointed when she saw you?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlackIronHeart posted:

Lent's coming, time for fish fries!

Nothing goes with pre-frozen fish fingers like canned skettio pasta

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

BlackIronHeart posted:

Lent's coming, time for fish fries!

Why is this so desaturated and like... greenshifted.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

DarkDobe posted:

Why is this so desaturated and like... greenshifted.

most of the cameras in use today have twice the amount of green sensors than other colors. as a result, many images taken in low/mid lighting will appear greener than reality unless that effect is accounted for via software

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Figuring out the white point is genuinely hard without making a reference photo with a grey card in the same light. It's always a guess and sometimes the software guesses wrong.

Our perception of colours is really sensitive to the subtlest shifts in colour.

Tangentially related, read this: https://bottosson.github.io/posts/oklab/

e: The curse is that once you learn how colour works, you can never unlearn it. It's not as bad as learning what keming is, or other typesetting atrocities, luckily.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 24, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Antigravitas posted:

Figuring out the white point is genuinely hard without making a reference photo with a grey card in the same light. It's always a guess and sometimes the software guesses wrong.

Our perception of colours is really sensitive to the subtlest shifts in colour.

Tangentially related, read this: https://bottosson.github.io/posts/oklab/

e: The curse is that once you learn how colour works, you can never unlearn it. It's not as bad as learning what keming is, or other typesetting atrocities, luckily.

oh gently caress you lmao

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The sea is deeply deeply cursed and always has been.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lt. Cock posted:

i could eat this

American cheese is loving disgusting and ruins anything it comes in contact with. I knew this at 4 years old when babysitter grilled cheese sandwiches tasted like puke and smelled bad and also made me want to puke out the puke.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

BiggerBoat posted:

American cheese is loving disgusting and ruins anything it comes in contact with. I knew this at 4 years old when babysitter grilled cheese sandwiches tasted like puke and smelled bad and also made me want to puke out the puke.

Is it cursed that I really quite like grilled cheese made with Kraft slices? This IS in Canada so I don't know how much Kraft differs from American American cheese. I'm yet to visit the States but I'm lead to believe we generally have better food quality up here.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah they're good

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

american cheese was literally invented by kraft

and they're so good that the fda won't let them use the word "food" on the package

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nothing wrong with some American, I don't want it everywhere but it's good for a burg or a grilled cheese :911:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Ghostlight posted:

and they're so good that the fda won't let them use the word "food" on the package

I think you're thinking of the word Cheese.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

there is no ethical cheese under capitalism

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TrashMammal posted:

there is no ethical cheese food under capitalism

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What about dick cheese

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nobody Interesting posted:

Is it cursed that I really quite like grilled cheese made with Kraft slices? This IS in Canada so I don't know how much Kraft differs from American American cheese. I'm yet to visit the States but I'm lead to believe we generally have better food quality up here.

Kraft Singles at least in the US are a "prepared cheese product" that can't be legally called cheese but is cheap and convenient. That's the kind that a lot of people mock and hate. Actual "American cheese" is just mild cheddar and Colby with some emulsifiers to make it melt better for things like grilled cheese or burgers. It's perfectly legitimate mild-flavored cheese.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

yeah its considered 'pasteurized processes cheese product' and not real cheese and barely food

also iirc whats weird is that kraft singles cost nearly the same as actual sliced cheddar, so people are choosing kraft on purpose

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Killer robot posted:

Kraft Singles at least in the US are a "prepared cheese product" that can't be legally called cheese but is cheap and convenient. That's the kind that a lot of people mock and hate. Actual "American cheese" is just mild cheddar and Colby with some emulsifiers to make it melt better for things like grilled cheese or burgers. It's perfectly legitimate mild-flavored cheese.

Don't forget about the orange food colouring!

Here in Australia the Kraft cheese slices don't have colouring and they look all pale and white. I'm not sure which version is more horrifying

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Time to break out the chart!

Pasteurized process american cheese tastes like cheese because it is cheese, and like you said has melting properties from the sodium citrate that are useful for certain applications.

The goon with the terrible babysitter was probably eating pasteurized process american slices, which are mostly just vegetable oil in a vaguely solid state.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
My dog loves Kraft Singles

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

My dog loves Kraft Singles

I asked you not to call me that

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Autechresaint posted:

What kind of bird is that. Movie is too low budget for it to have been animatronic

Budapest short-faced tumbler pigeon
https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/10704bt/budapest_short_faced_tumbler_pigeons/

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

you can order sodium citrate online and then you can turn any cheese into velveeta. fun but very confusing to do with nice cheeses

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I grew up thinking I hated cheese because the main cheese products in my house were Cheez Wiz and Kraft Singles. I liked pizza just fine though, since it was mozzarella.

Much later in life I was introduced to charcuterie and found out there was a whole world of cheese and I'd been missing out.

I had a similar experience with fish sticks and seafood.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

norp posted:

Don't forget about the orange food colouring!

Here in Australia the Kraft cheese slices don't have colouring and they look all pale and white. I'm not sure which version is more horrifying

Yeah, that's generally just annatto. Not really enough to add any flavor to speak of, so white vs. yellow is just a visual thing.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

When I was a little boy and my mommy used to make me tuna melts an American cheese slice did a great job of corralling the tuna on top of the bread. I think it’s the only thing melty enough to do that. Plus we were poor as gently caress and they were cheap so whadya gonna do?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's a miracle you survived

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

alucinor posted:

Budapest short-faced tumbler pigeon

Gesundheit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Rockman Reserve posted:

oh gently caress you lmao

I love how the letters are adjacent on the keyboard so we'll never know if it was an intentional joke or just a typo :tizzy:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Good words to test when it comes to keming are FLICK & click

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I remember political cartoonists getting cute with the kerning for "CLINTON".

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Ghostlight posted:

why are people so weird about american cheese? it's literally just cheeses blended together with sodium citrate to keep them from separating. Guess how you make sodium citrate - by neutralizing citric acid with baking soda. that's it. you eat both of those things every single day. baking soda is in every baked good you consume. there is nothing weird or chemically about american cheese. It's not called cheese because the dairy industry lobbied to have that term protected so it only refers to the by product of milk curds.

it's like those "holy poo poo chem trails bro" people who just don't know what they're talking about

if you've ever tried to make cheese dip you have to put a slice of american cheese in there to keep it from breaking when heated.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 25, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's true of real American Cheese but it's not true of kraft singles which are what most people associate with the phrase "American Cheese". Those things are not made out of any cheese-adjacent ingredients. They're pretty much just artificially cheese-flavored squares of emulsified oil.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 25, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's true of real American Cheese but it's not true of kraft singles which are what most people associate with the phrase "American Cheese". Those things are not made out of any cheese-adjacent ingredients.

The chart was posted on this page. Kraft singles are legally required to be at least 51% cheese.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cosmik Debris posted:

why are people so weird about american cheese?
i said they were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh whoops I thought the kraft singles were the processed American slices type