Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Domhainne Tunnels, Kor Dragor Stronghold but don't kill the boss, kill stuff in the PvP areas, doing the seasonal quest, get the Aspects your build needs, etc etc.

Edit- for leveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ah right I forgot about the PvP area being so good

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Blizzard devs seem fully capable of stepping in poo poo without executive meddling

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Who's the loving clown that decided to change the horse buttons?

Also, you'll never guess who can show up in Vaults!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

bio347 posted:

I'm honestly kinda baffled at how much work it is to level the robutt stones to be even mildly worthwhile. Do the two swim lanes just... not look at each other's work, or something?

not sure how solid the math is, but it's looking like ~2K vaults, going for speed and ignoring pearls/traps, per character to level a robot to 10 in all slots. that would probably not be needed since you're not likely to have the 8 glyphs you need out of 32 or w/e be the very last ones to level, but the outlook doesn't look great

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its definitely a weird change going from vampire powrs where you make an alt and bam you have thousands of currency to burn on leveling your powers to this, where its gonna take like several hundred/a thousand + vault runs to fully level your pet (according to wudi) and also have to do it on any other classes as well

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
What if, and im just spit balling here, they didn't make it take thousands of vaults to complete the seasonal contentent, or ideally, make seasonal progress account wide.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Good bones

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
they've heard all your very good feedback and have some exciting changes they're going to announce soon

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

we hear you, we agree with you. Changes will be coming soon (forget all that stuff in the dev chat about only 2 patches per season)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
We hear you, we see you, the horse mobility isn't coming back, too fast horses make the ps4 kill itself (probably)

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Harfunus posted:

I played through seasons one and two and both were pretty meh. Never got to above 70 with any character. I was thinking about getting back into season 3 to get my ARPG fix, but Grim Dawn did an update where they added a dodge button and now I'm just gonna play that again.

Grim Dawn rules #1

Me: it’s late, I’ll read the forums and go to sleep
You: Grim Dawn added dodge
Me: …if I stay awake all night now that I’m 55 will my exhaustion be noticeable and can I blame it on covid

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm giving necro a spin for the first time. I heard that bone spear was the way to go if you don't have minions, but what's a good few skills for a minion boy. Every guide I've seen seems to be out of date and I have no idea what I'm doing.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
reap, blight, sever, and curses are all worth trying to see what you like for minions. tentacles can be really good; you might want to skip corpse ex to save your corpses for priests/resummons.

e: for passive reasons you'll generally want to be within midrange of your minions to keep them tough and doing extra damage. blood orb generators can also be nice if you want to share blorb healing onto them but personally I'd skip that in favour of higher corpse gen or using the minion bonus on sever to do more damage.

doomfunk fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 25, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Here's an up to date minion/sever levelling build

https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/sever-necromancer-leveling-guide

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

This game still feels like they're making things difficult for the players just so they can fix them and count that as a content patch. At launch of the game and each season within hours of playing you stumble upon some really weird game design decision that its clear wasn't tested fully because no on in their right mind would EVER be fine with it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think the problem is there aren't many good developers on the team because Blizz is a lovely place to work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s usually not the play testers / QA people. It’s devs with certain ideas about what the game “should be” running face first into a cliff wall like Wile E Coyote on launch

To flesh out The metaphor the tunnel that Roadrunner paints on the cliff face is the Devs’ ego-dominated desire of what the game “should be”. The cliff face are the people who buy and play the game. The QA testers are the people watching the cartoon.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 25, 2024

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Rod Ferguson seems to be nothing more than a competent project manager who can oversee 5 separate, and seemingly siloed teams, and gets things delivered on time and budget. That would be fine if he had some other passionate ARPG devs under him who had ideas, but he doesnt, and the genre appears to be alien to him.

It feels like everyone involved with making this game hopped on to play a little bit of D3 when they were assigned to the project, and were given a note telling them power creep is bad an needs to be avoided at all costs. That is basically all they know about the genre and being locked into annual paid expansions means even when there is an obvious way to improve the game they have to sit on it until the expansion. Imagine what PoE would be if no league content ever got added to the base game. The base game of D4 is underwhelming at best, and because nothing carries over every season is just the base game + seasonal gimmick. If the seasonal gimmick doesnt knock it out of the park, you are left with this very shallow base game and nothing else.

I suspect expansion 1 is too far along given the siloed nature of Rod's swim lanes to make massive changes to the game beyond a couple of new skills for each class. Things should start to click around expansion 2, but the game needs a change in leadership, Rod and the senior devs need to go.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

faantastic posted:

This game still feels like they're making things difficult for the players just so they can fix them and count that as a content patch. At launch of the game and each season within hours of playing you stumble upon some really weird game design decision that its clear wasn't tested fully because no on in their right mind would EVER be fine with it.

I don't expect Blizzard will come out and say "You know what, dungeons designed around traps you can't just run through without losing loot DO suck!" or "You're right, randomly dotting pillars to click on around the map isn't an enjoyable overworld activity" and then fix those things because they're basically just what the season is.

TyrantWD posted:

Rod Ferguson seems to be nothing more than a competent project manager who can oversee 5 separate, and seemingly siloed teams, and gets things delivered on time and budget. That would be fine if he had some other passionate ARPG devs under him who had ideas, but he doesnt, and the genre appears to be alien to him.

If there was competent project management going on the teams wouldn't be siloed.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

faantastic posted:

This is how they've approached world of warcraft since aq40 dropped in 2006. They aim to drop content way overturned so that only the top players with the top gear, after grinding their faces into dust. Then, they drop more content several months later, and in the process, heavily nerf the last content dropped so that the average* grinder can get it done.

This works ok in a game like wow because wow has layers of content that if you get bored of one aspect, you just swap. In d4, there really just isn't much to do in the base game, and they're going to have serious issues implementing previous seasonal content into the core game, if they even wanted to do that. There's 1 new thing to do, and they expect you to do it for 250 hours before you get to complete it, and once it's done, there's nothing left to do besides farm scratch off tickets

TyrantWD posted:

Rod Ferguson

Were never gonna see him again because he thought it was a good idea to talk about his malignant tunnels twice on stream

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It depends on what is silo'd. There's nothing wrong with having the art team draft expansion 2 concepts and coders doing test runs of Class 7 abilities, experimenting with putting new tile set pieces together and what interactions they can brainstorm, writing the overall plot and some dialogue scripts.

The problem is that's all asset work and D4 has a lot of very questionable systems. I dunno how competent Rod can be if Team B managed to put season 3 together without acknowledging any of the positives of season 2 from Team A. Or if Season 3 was so far along that feedback couldn't be incorporated, highlighting an enormous weakness in parallel teams.

The expectation is always going to be at least steady improvement as time passes and nerds in particular will always get mad if something looks like it could've been made better with an afternoon of simple math. ... 2000 vaults to max the spider? Really? Hahahahaha.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Siloed teams story makes no sense. Even if it were true that would mean team 1 or whatever had 6 months !!! To come up with this

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

euphronius posted:

The Siloed teams story makes no sense. Even if it were true that would mean team 1 or whatever had 6 months !!! To come up with this

The same team (assuming 2 seasonal teams) developed s1 alongside the base game and that was a pile of poo poo too, surely that was worked on longer than 6 months for season 1, right?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doomykins posted:

It depends on what is silo'd. There's nothing wrong with having the art team draft expansion 2 concepts and coders doing test runs of Class 7 abilities, experimenting with putting new tile set pieces together and what interactions they can brainstorm, writing the overall plot and some dialogue scripts.

The problem is that's all asset work and D4 has a lot of very questionable systems. I dunno how competent Rod can be if Team B managed to put season 3 together without acknowledging any of the positives of season 2 from Team A. Or if Season 3 was so far along that feedback couldn't be incorporated, highlighting an enormous weakness in parallel teams.

The expectation is always going to be at least steady improvement as time passes and nerds in particular will always get mad if something looks like it could've been made better with an afternoon of simple math. ... 2000 vaults to max the spider? Really? Hahahahaha.

Right, there's stuff you can and should compartmentalize but if you're not continuously looking for opportunities to have the teams collaborate or at least communicate with each other you're making the teams feel less like they're contributing to a greater whole, getting less from their efforts, and increasing risk to the project when it comes time to integrate what they've done. This means having somebody with a project view go "Hey the California team has been putting a bunch of work into a QoL feature that shouldn't impact what you've been working on, can you spend some time seeing what it would take to integrate it into your build?" and "The story guys in New York put together an overarching plot for the season after yours, do you think you could meet with them and figure out how to put some hooks into your piece so we have continuity?"

For all I know they're attempting this and it just hasn't been working out. I dunno. I just know anybody with real project management experience stays far away from jobs that grind you down, don't pay, and don't offer good benefits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The problem is that you can always adjust drop rates and numbers, but you can't exactly patch in a unified creative vision where there is none.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Microsoft just announced 1900 employees in the games division will be laid off shortly. They specifically mentioned Activision Blizzard and Xbox.

What that’s going to do for D4, who knows. Can’t be positive. IGN article. Phone posting so sorry no link.

Frankly I don’t want the devs playing their own game, they have too much invested.

After the nerfing fiasco in S1, they are going to be too conservative and buff, vs too strong and nerf.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really feel like they could have something neat on their hands if they tried to actively take advantage of the open world / large areas. Make it a giant risk map. Put in some crazy faction PVP battles with changing objectives as the battle goes on. Put in some giant siege weapons that Do Stuff. They've given themselves a ton of space but you're almost always horsing your way through it as fast as you can go.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Bloomberg reporting that Microsoft has fired Blizzard President Mike Ybarra.

There are other layoffs across Microsoft and Activision-Blizzard and Microsoft plans to install new leadership in several teams inside Blizzard (no specifics about games or teams).

No info on if it impacts Diablo or if this is a good or bad thing (or no impact) long-term, but a big shake up at Blizzard.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750527838523179368

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mayveena posted:

After the nerfing fiasco in S1, they are going to be too conservative and buff, vs too strong and nerf.

This season feels almost as bad as the S1 nerfs because the vampire powers were strong for both levelling and endgame, whereas the robot is poo poo

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
These layoffs are brutal, they don’t stop.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Bloomberg reporting that Microsoft has fired Blizzard President Mike Ybarra.

There are other layoffs across Microsoft and Activision-Blizzard and Microsoft plans to install new leadership in several teams inside Blizzard (no specifics about games or teams).

No info on if it impacts Diablo or if this is a good or bad thing (or no impact) long-term, but a big shake up at Blizzard.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750527838523179368

Oh wow, sucks for the honest computer touchers but hopefully some new leadership will turn this flailing ship around.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ultrachrist posted:

These layoffs are brutal, they don’t stop.

This particular set of layoffs isn't surprising. When two huge companies merge, there is always a round of layoffs that follow because they often have duplicate positions.

The firing of the Blizz President is a little surprising.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tarnop posted:

This season feels almost as bad as the S1 nerfs because the vampire powers were strong for both levelling and endgame, whereas the robot is poo poo

I miss the vampire powers a lot, the one that made your dodge unstoppable in particular because it made combat flow a lot better.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The firing of the Blizz President is a little surprising.

They probably have a MS person ready to go for the job

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

euphronius posted:

Hopefully not somebody's brother-in-law.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The good news is maybe our beloved Blizzard IP may (may) end up in more competent hands

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

euphronius posted:

The president was at MS for 22 years before joining Blizzard.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I doubt this took 6 months. More likely this was rushed and then the crew was shuffled to other projects ala the expansion.

I don't blame the devs for this or believe anything Rod says. Blizz is a bad company and currently being absorbed to an even bigger shittier company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

The good news is maybe our beloved Blizzard IP may (may) end up in more competent hands

Lol