Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1748138686112465353?t=_tXszh4e08PntWlnSVZmZg&s=19

Didn't Alabama try a bit of this and they had no one to pick tomatoes as a result?

I like how he says "without objection", clearly in order to be able to handwave away renowned, business-repelling Democratic backwaters like New York and California.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What if I create a fanfic will im right and my posting enemies are wrong?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PhazonLink posted:

What if I create a fanfic will im right and my posting enemies are wrong?

Ok, Dante

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Funkers, please. Republicans want the funk. Gotta have that funk.

George Clinton for VP?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
america is the most normal country in the world with the most normal media outlet in the world

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1750261313660387720?t=vtjqLkhB-Gir1m54ytUSKw&s=19

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The bucket of bronzer used before this must have cost a fortune.

https://twitter.com/ZaleskiLuke/status/1750371080357675420

TLDR is he is basically listing all the people his secret police will give cement shoes once he is Dear Presidente again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

america is the most normal country in the world with the most normal media outlet in the world

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1750261313660387720?t=vtjqLkhB-Gir1m54ytUSKw&s=19

Did this even happen?
Like a single pregnancy? Rape?

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

As best I can tell, we do not have any first hand accounts from hostages or survivors regarding rape or any pregnancies resulting. Police have said they have taken statements saying sexual violence took place, and a doctor treating released hostages has said he has seen evidence of sexual violence. That said, I think it's reasonable to be cautious and prepare for the circumstance in case it turns out to be true.

The NY Post is never going to be a credible or reliable source of that in any case.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

OgNar posted:

TLDR is he is basically listing all the people his secret police will give cement shoes once he is Dear Presidente again.

Lol @ cracking down on the sinister secretive deepstate and also government whistleblowers

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

its me, the trump campaign a/v guy. here-a i am working my fifth consecutive overnight wrestling with color balance and contrast levers in the video editor until we get something that doesn't make boss look like a brass clown

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Judge denied a dismissal of the Fox/Smartmatic $2.7 billion lawsuit and said it could precede.

"“We will be ready to defend this case surrounding extremely newsworthy events when it goes to trial, likely in 2025,” a Fox spokesperson said in a statement after the ruling. “As a report prepared by our financial expert shows, Smartmatic’s damages claims are implausible, disconnected from reality, and on their face intended to chill First Amendment freedoms.”"

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/24/media/fox-corporation-smartmatic/index.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/media/fox-corp-smartmatics-defamation-suit-rcna135619

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Staluigi posted:

its me, the trump campaign a/v guy. here-a i am working my fifth consecutive overnight wrestling with color balance and contrast levers in the video editor until we get something that doesn't make boss look like a brass clown

And then Trump comes in with a raging hissy fit about his skin is too light toned and he needs to be darkly tanned to show how healthy he is and more handsome than a movie star.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Loom forward to seeing this bumper sticker all over the goddamn place I bet
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1750598676794220607?t=2lV_opEWG6VmZErXrYt0og&s=19

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

OgNar posted:

This is so cool and normal. "I'm going to exceed my power and remove all checks and balances. I want to be a king, did I mention that yet? I'm gonna kill everyone!"

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Term limits sounds fine but yeah the rest of that is literally just 'I'm going to get rid of people I don't like, people who don't like me, and anyone who even thinks about getting in my way, this is how democracy works, people who love america know that this is how democracy works.' fuckin loony toons.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FunkyFjord posted:

Term limits sounds fine but yeah the rest of that is literally just 'I'm going to get rid of people I don't like, people who don't like me, and anyone who even thinks about getting in my way, this is how democracy works, people who love america know that this is how democracy works.' fuckin loony toons.

Term limits are actually a pretty bad idea. If you guarantee that the entire body of elected officials will be cycling out on a schedule every few years, knowledge and practice at actually crafting and passing legislation will leave with them. This creates a vacuum that lobbyists and unelected support staff end up filling because they're still going to be there, sitting and waiting, while the person in the seat now gets kicked out and the new one comes in not knowing what to do and how to do it. You end up with elected officials who become near-worthless talking heads while the people who are in it for the money, and the monied interests, run things behind the throne.

Besides we already, theoretically, have the ultimate term limit. Don't like them? Vote the bums out and get someone better.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
"I'm cleaning out the Deep State by exposing all their illegal poo poo, and so help me God if you expose any of my illegal poo poo"

Rules for thee, not for me usually isn't said quite this clearly, much less right in a row like that.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

bird food bathtub posted:

Term limits are actually a pretty bad idea. If you guarantee that the entire body of elected officials will be cycling out on a schedule every few years, knowledge and practice at actually crafting and passing legislation will leave with them. This creates a vacuum that lobbyists and unelected support staff end up filling because they're still going to be there, sitting and waiting, while the person in the seat now gets kicked out and the new one comes in not knowing what to do and how to do it. You end up with elected officials who become near-worthless talking heads while the people who are in it for the money, and the monied interests, run things behind the throne.

Besides we already, theoretically, have the ultimate term limit. Don't like them? Vote the bums out and get someone better.

I fail to see how any of this is different from the current situation except that now, lobbyists and unelected support staff also have to "weekend at bernies" their bosses

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Loom forward to seeing this bumper sticker all over the goddamn place I bet
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1750598676794220607?t=2lV_opEWG6VmZErXrYt0og&s=19

This is a level beyond the Moron Label, we call it Moron Label 2

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Aztec Galactus posted:

I fail to see how any of this is different from the current situation except that now, lobbyists and unelected support staff also have to "weekend at bernies" their bosses

yeah after hearing about the issues some states have had with term limits, my views have went from "implement term limits in congress" to specifically just "implement term limits in the Senate only and leave the House alone" (a mix of the problems people seek to fix with term limits being at their most prominent in the senate mixed with the fact that freshmen senators are generally expected to have experience from state legislatures/the house/governorships and thus reducing the risk of brain drain)

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Sure, I didn't really elaborate so all that is fair I think. I'd definitely also be in favor of cleaning house with a lot of the staff and critically limiting the involvement of lobbyists. In line with this post I don't think term limits should be incredibly short, longer than a presidential term for sure, and many elected officials don't last decades but some certainly do. Also, clearly, I wouldn't trust a trump admin or gop electorate to implement good term limits.

These people ought to know about crafting and passing legislation before being put into the senate, etc, but that's definitely not what we've been getting since, I dunno, the 90s. Along these lines Just Vote hasn't been serving us all that well, though I'll readily admit to having my view tainted by being from Oklahoma.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Is this dumb caravan worth mentioning?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9adk/trucker-convoy-eagle-pass-texas-border-dispute-christian-nationalism

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It's a concern, but lol:

quote:

The organizers current plan is for the convoy to depart Virginia Beach on Monday and snake down through the southeast, stopping over in Jacksonville, Florida before making its way to several stops along the border. The convoy will then split up for separate rallies on Feb. 3, one near Eagle Pass, Texas, a second in Yuma, Arizona, and a third in San Ysidro, California.

"Do these people not have jobs???"

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

FFT posted:

It's a concern, but lol:

This hypocrisy is funnier to me because I know an old racist joke that is exactly about this topic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The one about looters passing up all the workboots in the stores because they're so lazy?

Which always seemed dumb to me. Those boots are valuable. Someone going through the effort to ransack a retail establishment isn't going to pass something up over principle.

Though it would be interesting to see what kind of items are most likely to be taken. I'm guessing simply stuff that's the easiest to carry or nearest to the entrance.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FFT posted:

It's a concern, but lol:

Hey, being in the pay of Russia to ferment dissent and advance right wing causes is a full time job. But I suspect that only a small number of the convey are actually getting paid for their time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A large majority of them, and the Jan 6th assholes, are the local business owning poo poo head that can take three weeks off and come back to their 'job' of owning stuff and telling others what to do without any interruptions to themselves.

The petite bourgeoisie as some random guy who wrote books or some poo poo a while back called them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some of them were just supported by their spouse. I found it rather ironic that one of the 3%er guys who got a bunch of prison time was, for the better part of a decade, pretty much supported by his wife who did all the wage labor on top of all the household/childrearing stuff. For all the tough talk a lot of them are not much removed from some NEET in terms of individual accomplishment.

Which makes sense in regards to radicalization. If you actually have a good relationship with a close loving family and a career you enjoy you aren't going to take stupid risks. It's the people who lack those things, either for lack of privilege or simply by alienating everyone up to that point that end up dying from tazered balls.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

The one about looters passing up all the workboots in the stores because they're so lazy?

Which always seemed dumb to me. Those boots are valuable. Someone going through the effort to ransack a retail establishment isn't going to pass something up over principle.

Though it would be interesting to see what kind of items are most likely to be taken. I'm guessing simply stuff that's the easiest to carry or nearest to the entrance.
I mean 1960s older.

A large majority of them, and the Jan 6th assholes, are the local business owning poo poo head that can take three weeks off and come back to their 'job' of owning stuff and telling others what to do without any interruptions to themselves.

The petite bourgeoisie as some random guy who wrote books or some poo poo a while back called them.
At least their terrible beliefs are based in something reasonable like more money for me, gently caress you. We're lucky to get people voting Republican for self-interest these days

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Okay let's break this poo poo down.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-resolution/863/text

"In his willful admittance of border crossers, terrorists, human traffickers, drugs, and other contraband, Alejandro Nicholas Mayorkas has failed to maintain operational control of the border, thereby violating the Secure Fence Act of 2006."
"The term willful refers to acts which are intentional, conscious, voluntary, and designed to achieve a particular result."
This argument is literally the Secretary of Homeland Security wants to destroy America.

"The Guarantee Clause clearly dictates that the Federal Government has a constitutional duty and obligation to protect each of the States from invasion. As Secretary of the Department of Homeland Secretary, Alejandro Mayorkas, has violated his oath to uphold this constitutional duty by allowing the invasion of approximately 10,000,000 illegals across our borders."
Ten million is completely made-up bullshit. As for invasion, here's the other use of the word in the Constitution, other than suspending habeus corpus: "To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions". Under powers of Congress. HMMMMM DOESN'T LOOK SO GREAT IN THAT CONTEXT DO IT

"(1) approximately 10,000,000 illegal border crosser who have invaded our country at our border, this is broken down between 8,000,000 encounters and approximately 1,800,000 known “gotaways” who have evaded United States authorities and are roaming the interior of the United States;"
REALLY? You're inflating the number of people that we caught (what you say you want) of all things to make a case against this man? The other numbered bits are also people we caught.
Edit: I thought about this one for a while and realized oh yeah they can claim repeat offenders on this one, so I guess everyone caught was caught an average of four times. Good way to inflate the gotaways while still making the apprehension ratio look like poo poo. Everything below on this numbered list is just categories of who we caught.

"In fiscal year 2021, Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) seized approximately 11,200 pounds of fentanyl. In fiscal year 2022, CBP seized approximately 14,700 pounds of fentanyl. In fiscal year 2023, CBP has seized a record of approximately 27,000 pounds of fentanyl. Over 70,000 Americans died from fentanyl in fiscal year 2022. Fentanyl is now the number one killer of Americans between the ages of 18 and 45. Fentanyl kills approximately 300 Americans a day. This is the amount of fentanyl that has been seized at the border, yet 300 Americans are still being killed by fentanyl poisoning every day. The amount of unseized fentanyl has not even been taken into account."
Notice that they are not drawing any conclusions from or asking any questions about this. Like how exactly those drugs get into the country.

"The Constitution also requires the Secretary of Homeland Security to observe the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.). This law requires Homeland Security to detain inadmissible aliens arriving in the United States or illegal aliens presently in the United States. Instead, the Department of Homeland Security, under Secretary Mayorkas, has practiced catch and release policies, whereby illegals are detained, but then released, without any mechanism to ensure they show up to court for processing."
He's not fulfilling his obligations by which we actually mean yes he is, we don't like how, and we'd keep all eight million illegals we definitely think were caught locked up somefuckinghow if it were up to us even though a small fraction of that many people total are currently in prisons we require to stay full just trust us on this one
Hell use the actual number of 2.3 million and that's still more than the civilian prison population.

"By terminating contracts for border wall construction, ending the Migrant Protection Protocols (Remain in Mexico), unlawfully granting categorical parole, and being complicit in ending title 42, Mayorkas has made it easier for illegal people and drugs to enter the United States, endangering American citizens, and has made it harder for CBP to expel such threats."
Replace everything before the word Mayorkas with the military mowing down people who try to cross indiscriminately and this point would be equally true and valid. Which yes is the point.

Pretty insane poo poo overall. I guess their voters assume that Biden having a (D) next to his name is why he's a Brown People Invasion beacon in a lovely RTS since they don't seem to need more rationale than that

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 29, 2024

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Like any of the chuds get anything past the headline. It doesn't matter as long as there's the click bait headline and a lot of words that must be important, but reading is hard so I'll let someone else tell me what it means.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MrUnderbridge posted:

Like any of the chuds get anything past the headline. It doesn't matter as long as there's the click bait headline and a lot of words that must be important, but reading is hard so I'll let someone else tell me what it means.

Lmao, it's not just chuds, just look at leftists and libs on Twitter following for same poo poo in reverse

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They ‘had’ to impeach someone, and I think they correctly realized that impeaching Biden for really spurious reasons was just going to benefit Biden.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Speaking of fentanyl... the prescription list from the Trump White House confuses me, as fentanyl appears at least twice. Why... is fentanyl just handed out like that? I thought its use case was "gets you super high and is super addictive, but will super kill you." So, again: why was it available?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Space Fish posted:

Speaking of fentanyl... the prescription list from the Trump White House confuses me, as fentanyl appears at least twice. Why... is fentanyl just handed out like that? I thought its use case was "gets you super high and is super addictive, but will super kill you." So, again: why was it available?

Lawmakers have a history of making drugs far more accessible to themselves than anyone else. I haven't heard of previous admins making controlled substances like fentanyl accessible, but it wouldn't surprise me either - maybe not fentanyl specifically, but other narcotics or other easy to abuse pharmaceuticals.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Space Fish posted:

It's the most popular synthetic opioid and is widely prescribed for chronic pain and surgical recovery among other things. It gets used a whole lot legitimately.

The reason why it's so widespread and dangerous as a recreational drug is that it's very potent (and thus easy to smuggle) and it has a pretty variable level of toxicity. When it's not being administered in carefully controlled doses both of those are really bad. It also has severe interactions with other drugs; again, okay if you have a pharmacist tracking your pill load and looking for red flags, but exceptionally deadly in the recreational drug use space. That's not unusual for narcotics either, but is most of why it's so deadly in the wild.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The question is why is the WH clinic providing morphine and fentanyl in quantities high enough that they need to be reordered and not directing people to their care providers?

It seems like those thing would be there for holy poo poo emergencies because there is certainly a chance of that but I wouldn’t be expecting it to be disbursed.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

probably because getting high rules

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I ask my students one good thing that happened over the weekend and one student said that the greatest thing that happened over the weekend is that “Tom McaDonald came out with a new song called ‘Facts’ which includes a surprise guest.”

I had to work really hard to not laugh and just reply with “oh, okay”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Killer robot posted:

It's the most popular synthetic opioid and is widely prescribed for chronic pain and surgical recovery among other things. It gets used a whole lot legitimately.

The reason why it's so widespread and dangerous as a recreational drug is that it's very potent (and thus easy to smuggle) and it has a pretty variable level of toxicity. When it's not being administered in carefully controlled doses both of those are really bad. It also has severe interactions with other drugs; again, okay if you have a pharmacist tracking your pill load and looking for red flags, but exceptionally deadly in the recreational drug use space. That's not unusual for narcotics either, but is most of why it's so deadly in the wild.

Two facts make fentanyl particularly kill-y with regards to overdose

* Because it is so potent by-weight, a poorly blended ‘cut’ can have wildly varying potency in different portions of same batch. Drug dealers typically aren’t using pharmaceutical manufacturing equipment meaning some customers get *way* more fentanyl than others and as a consumer there’s no way to judge the strength of the bit you got and thus calculate a safe dose

* Compared to heroin, fentanyl is less ‘euphoric’. To get the same quality of feel-good using a fentanyl blend you’ll need a dose that has a stronger effect on your breathing than if you’d used pure heroin. If you judge the size of your dose by how much you need to get the right high then it’s easy to take too much, especially if you don’t know that it’s been cut.