Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

That third row... a recurring thing I appreciate in Modesty Blaise is that while the plot is arranged to have her take point the people she interacts with are usually portrayed as quite competent in their own right even if there's a reason they're not so right now. It's not a "clever main character showing the buffoons who think they're actually in charge how buffoonish they are" like, for example, some depictions of Sherlock Holmes. Aside from some arcs where that's the whole point, anyway. The comic has plenty of hubris when it wants to.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
So I searched and I'm surpised no one shared this, but theres a collection of Sunday comics that's coming out by a little known artist named Jack Kirby.

Sky Master of the Space Force was a comic strip Kirby and Wally Wood worked on in Kirby's pre-Marvel/early DC days about a guy named Sky Masterson and his adventures in space. There's also a collection of the B&W dailies but it appears to be out of print and the strips themselves don't appear to be online anywhere.

The work was collected and produced by designer Ferran Delgado, and the Jack Kirby Museum is helping bring it to a wider audience. The pages are here samples they shared. Apparently the Sunday's stories were unrelated to the dailies, so it won't leave you hanging.

I figured this might catch the interest of a few of you. Here's a link to the campaign to fund it, which met it's goal within the 1st day. It's also got more details about the history of it all, it's absolutely fascinating.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Still hate the direction Luann is going with this story, which reads like a boomer rear end "actually, streaming culture is just 100% bad" instead of Bets needed to learn some moderation.

Gil Thorp pretty cool with its storyline.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

quote:

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Heaven help me, I did crack a smile at that last line.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That's right, Bets. The problem isn't that you completely altered your life at the demands of your dump of a boyfriend. It's that you just love social media too much!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
:cry: Hudley!!! Thank you!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe Prince-Consort Hagar would cheat on his king

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Next: Lothar punches everyone

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Why is the daughter there?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why did someone randomly unplug it?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Why is the daughter there?

Home studio, apparently. She called their IT guy an hour before her show was due to start, he travelled from wherever their base is, to their house, with seemingly enough time left to potentially identify and fix a problem. His existential malaise is understandable imo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

Bardiche Hotel was a really wonderful series of vignettes, and like you said, I love Q-Rais's surrealism. He has this great way of introducing strange, fantastical characters and concepts and having the rest of the characters treat them as perfectly ordinary.

Thanks for sharing it!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fishylungs posted:

I figured this might catch the interest of a few of you. Here's a link to the campaign to fund it, which met it's goal within the 1st day. It's also got more details about the history of it all, it's absolutely fascinating.

This looks great. Fun fact: drone delivery of medical supplies exists today, in Rwanda.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fishylungs posted:

Sky Master of the Space Force was a comic strip Kirby and Wally Wood worked on in Kirby's pre-Marvel/early DC days about a guy named Sky Masterson and his adventures in space. There's also a collection of the B&W dailies but it appears to be out of print and the strips themselves don't appear to be online anywhere.

I heard about this Kickstarter and was considering trying to find it. I'd definitely be interested (but I also was enjoying Tom Corbett, so you know).

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

I'll definitely miss it, it was delightful.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/23/52

Archie 5/12-14/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 12/13-15/76

Winthrop has achieved a level of uselessness worthy of Sam Cooper.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Any Good Ideas? Nope. Time For Strips About That Gator Child At School.

"And He's Always Talking About Pegging."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Fishylungs posted:

Neat find! I might have to chip in and get that book.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Are they just recapping a really old story like it was a dream?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

The whole thing feels like an attempt to retcon away a bad story.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Yes

Ghostlight posted:

Oh man, we're straight back into something - Phantom is recapping the start of the 1953 storyline 'The Chain'. The scans online suck, but this page has what's probably all the pertinent information.

an ignoramus:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 9, 1936)

Peanuts (January 26, 1977)

That's a hell of a field trip that just lets kids wander off and climb up on top of barns. Hope that permission slip had a liability waiver.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (September 16-18, 1935)

Capp's really finding his tone in this storyline.

Thimble Theater (August 28, 1940)

Out Our Way (November 15-17, 1943)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

Bardiche Hotel was a great story, thanks for translating and posting it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

goatface posted:

Home studio, apparently. She called their IT guy an hour before her show was due to start, he travelled from wherever their base is, to their house, with seemingly enough time left to potentially identify and fix a problem. His existential malaise is understandable imo.

If it's a home studio then yeah, the IT guy is extremely right to be in a bad mood.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

:psyduck: Morgan had nothing to do with what happened to you, you windsocked fart

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

As an IT-type the number one thing to remember is these stupid loving mooks pay your paycheck so wise the gently caress up and dont be a dick to them no matter how goddamn stupid they are.
Yes, ive been called out for unplugged power and comms cables. And I'm thankful that the world has enough idiots that I can make a career out of catherding dumbfuck IT's who act all upset when they get called away from watching youtube videos to go "fix" some dumb gently caress's monitor because he didnt push in the plug all the way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah as a computer janitor I'd rather deal with a dozen callouts for an unplugged computer than a single "real" problem where I have to trace a generic error message back through six different Microsoft services only to find out the issue is that one of them is following a different XML standard which makes its output completely incompatible with the only clue being an eight-year-old post that a Microsoft rep marked as "solved" because it was a known issue that they didn't intend to fix.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:psyduck: Morgan had nothing to do with what happened to you, you windsocked fart

Well, Rex did clue in the original author what was being done with his old method, after encountering him in an astonishingly unlikely coincidence.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah as a computer janitor I'd rather deal with a dozen callouts for an unplugged computer than a single "real" problem where I have to trace a generic error message back through six different Microsoft services only to find out the issue is that one of them is following a different XML standard which makes its output completely incompatible with the only clue being an eight-year-old post that a Microsoft rep marked as "solved" because it was a known issue that they didn't intend to fix.

Did you turn it off and on?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crab Dad posted:

Did you turn it off and on?

That's called "power cycling". They claim it's because it's a broader term to include rebooting things remotely, but I think it's so less people yell at them when they suggest it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bruceski posted:

That's called "power cycling". They claim it's because it's a broader term to include rebooting things remotely, but I think it's so less people yell at them when they suggest it.
it's also just a fun way to make it sound like you're actually doing something substantive.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This could have been a phone call. I hope surly IT guy charges them out the rear end for this house call.

One of the first things you check when something won't turn on - Is it plugged in? If Yes - Is the power strip plugged in/turned on?

Can't count how many times this was the solution.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 17-21, 2005)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009