Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

FWIW that was the only thing actually bugging me, it looked like a weird slice of cake photographed over the stretch of a few days. Sorry to be snippy and your big chappie is lovely 😍

No no it’s okay, I really do need to clean that counter.

The incense burner is super cool though and works better than I thought it would, I heartily recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah they didn’t get Mark Rolston’s likeness for the Drake figure. Likewise, they didn’t get Al Matthews for their Kenner Apone remake, either.

The Kenner Ripley and Vasquez figures have the actors’ likenesses, though.

Huh I wonder how hard they lowballed them to be told gently caress off.

Owlbear Camus posted:

"Boomhauer, you never served in the Space Marines. That's just asinine."

"Daggoneolhadleyshopechestpoppincrittersman.Talkinboutyouwerenttheredidntseethembugs."

:lol:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I love the alien, and would hug him and give him kisses and oh what is that I am told I am being devoured mercilessly well poo poo

But anyway, cool alien!

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Huh I wonder how hard they lowballed them to be told gently caress off.

Given what he has said in an interview I read not too long ago, they probably didn't even ask Al.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

Today I spent a little more than I probably should have (but I got a good deal, honest! No really!) on something I never thought I’d see in person:

Vintage 1979 Alien action figure (Coke can for scale).

https://youtu.be/iBhTpyJMnZY?si=ZRfVWgHa7ONw_KK9

Man, now that brings back a childhood regret right there. Back when I was little, my mom's best friend was dating someone who worked for Kenner and he gifted me a prototype of one of these used to test the molds before going into full production. Of course I didn't comprehend how rare it actually was and kept it out on an open shelf where it eventually fell and shattered.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gonna cross-post this to a few places.

I got the NECA ‘Aliens’ remake of the Kenner Ripley figure. The original toy came with a badass flamethrower. Instead of making a new updated flamethrower for the remake figure, NECA instead just gave her a smart gun and called it a day.

Anyone here with any 3D modeling/printing/sculpting/customizing aspirations interested in making a few bucks and giving her the weapon she deserves?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

https://twitter.com/roguecaliber/status/1747601735009325439/photo/1

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I just watched 1984's C.H.U.D. for the first time since I only saw snippets of it growing up. There's a scene where the police go into the sewers to investigate the claim of creatures being there and it gave me major Aliens vibes. I've never seen it mentioned, but wonder if James Cameron used this scene as inspiration for some stuff in Aliens.

It has a group in a dark, damp area with weapons drawn and not sure what they're going to find, a motion tracker of sorts (a Geiger counter that indicates the chuds are close), video feed going to a command center where the guy in charge doesn't really care or understand what's happening and everything spiraling out of control while the team disappears and the feed goes blank.

This is the only clip of it I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hpuDEcZPig

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I finished another play through of isolation yesterday since my last attempt fell flat (last time I tried it was the VR mod….it was to brutal) it’s insane how good this game is and how there wasn’t a proper follow up but those face huggers are cunts!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

Today I spent a little more than I probably should have (but I got a good deal, honest! No really!) on something I never thought I’d see in person:

Vintage 1979 Alien action figure (Coke can for scale).

https://youtu.be/iBhTpyJMnZY?si=ZRfVWgHa7ONw_KK9

First jealous about the xeno.
Then I spot the AT-AT and the jealousy exponiates.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i tried isolation but its too drat scary for me so i gave up. love the vibes of sevastapol station just wish i could wander around without anyone or thing trying to blast me or facefuck me

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

i tried isolation but its too drat scary for me so i gave up. love the vibes of sevastapol station just wish i could wander around without anyone or thing trying to blast me or facefuck me

Same here, I wish there was a mod or something that let you just wander around and check the place out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arson Daily posted:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Same here, I wish there was a mod or something that let you just wander around and check the place out.

Buy this:

The Art of Alien: Isolation https://a.co/d/ggfx3PF

It’s awesome.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I really want to play Isolation again (I never finished it), but it's the only game that's ever given me an honest-to-god nightmare, so... :smith:

(I couldn't finish RE2make either because having that guy relentlessly clomping after me was too tense for me to handle.)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've said it before ITT but Isolation literally made me scream and throw the controller across the room. No other horror game scares me at all but I can't even play it anymore, it just fills me with so much dread.

Also the first time I played it I totally missed the medkit schematic and got pretty far on bingo health but eventually kept dying and had to backtrack all the way to the early level and pick up the schematic.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I tried the VR mod for isolation over steam link for like 5 minutes. Then I stopped doing that.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Buy this:

The Art of Alien: Isolation https://a.co/d/ggfx3PF

It’s awesome.

sick. will do. i had been growing more and more on edge by that game and then the xenomorph shows up and you hide under the desk and welp thats it for me

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I haven’t tried this and can’t vouch for it.

But supposedly this edit makes the alien stay in the vents and never come down.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/214490/discussions/0/620695877286051362/

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

HERE is a great blind Let's Play of Alien: Isolation, for those who would like the vicarious experience. A:I is absolutely the most intense horror game I've ever played.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Mister Speaker posted:

I've said it before ITT but Isolation literally made me scream and throw the controller across the room. No other horror game scares me at all but I can't even play it anymore, it just fills me with so much dread.

Also the first time I played it I totally missed the medkit schematic and got pretty far on bingo health but eventually kept dying and had to backtrack all the way to the early level and pick up the schematic.

My first ever play through (way back on my PS3) I screamed so loud and so much that my neighbour carried out a welfare check on me ….

I’ve just realised over the years I’ve bought the game 3 times

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Had a dream the other night where I was working at a rural farm that had been turned into a research station. We had a gorilla and a xeno in separate pens, to do research on behavioral similarities between them. Our artificial person was a recreation of Vasquez, but with more visible cybernetic parts in her limbs. My research team would not loving stop leaving the pens open!

There were many OSHA incidents and lots of yelling at the morons.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/Mathew__Clayton/status/1749399762195939775?s=20

Andy Kelly's book on the game is out soon.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol. Meta.

Question: Are there any other confirmed aliens in the Alien universe? I assume Predators are confirmed since there was an Aliens V Predator movie. And thus any aliens that exist in the Predator movies also exist in the Alien universe. Any others? The Arcturans?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

redshirt posted:

lol. Meta.

Question: Are there any other confirmed aliens in the Alien universe? I assume Predators are confirmed since there was an Aliens V Predator movie. And thus any aliens that exist in the Predator movies also exist in the Alien universe. Any others? The Arcturans?

The space jockey who was flying the ship and got chestbursted. They used that species well in the comic series that followed on from Aliens. gently caress, they really should just do what Hallowe'en did (twice) and start a new series of films that are direct sequels to Aliens and which follow that comic book. I've said it before, I said it again, that comic was the only logical next step in the story. Alien was a slasher film, Aliens was an action film, the Aliens comic book was a disaster/apocalypse movie. Get Jared Leto in to be the creepy evangelist cult leader who really wants to help bring about the age of the Xenomorph on Earth, a role he's been training for all his life.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Well the other alien species is arcturians who are known for their sexual prowess. Yes they are non human species, fight me. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

redshirt posted:

lol. Meta.

There are others, but not many, and most of them either never encounter humans or have died out or something like that.

Predators are… complicated - the core Alien canon doesn’t have Predators in it, and the core Predator canon kinda sorta has some Aliens and AvP stuff in it depending on the storyteller doing the writing, and then there’s the AvP canon that has both. The Predator canon has a bunch of creatures the Predators have hunted, but that doesn’t mean they’re present in the Alien canon.

On top of that, it’s up in the air on if the handful of races that did exist in the old Aliens comics and novels are still “canon” what with the whole Fox/Disney buyout and things getting changed up in the wake of the prequel movies.

There’s also the Engineers, which may or may not be the same as the Space Jockey from ‘Alien’ due to new information from the video game Aliens: Dark Descent.
The current line from the RPG according to the author is that there’s a soft rule that intelligent species in the setting can be derived from the Engineers in some way.

Arcturians are technically two species - there’s the main Arcturians, near-humans that were created by the Engineers. They’re the fuckable ones Frost talks about in ‘Aliens’. They mostly look like us, aren’t as technologically advanced, make good trading partners, aren’t enthusiastic about leaving their homeworld, and we just kind of let them be.
There’s also the Arctura, which are the nonhuman, not-quite-sentient indigenous life on Arcturus. They’re a holdover from the old 1992 ‘Aliens Adventure Game’ RPG where they were the (still fuckable, but kinda problematically so!) “Arcturians” from that book.

Outside of that, there’s some other races that show up in the comics but like I mentioned, they’re either very primitive, died out before ever encountering humanity, there’s an isolated incident with no survivors, or humanity at large doesn’t know they exist for one reason or another.

And then there’s oddball indigenous life that Marines get called in to shoot at sometimes (“bug hunts”). The newer RPG specifically calls out the scorpionoids from Tanaka V (which are what the Scorpion Aliens from the Kenner toyline come from :v: ), and I think they carry over the “Harvesters” from the old RPG, basically big armored armadillo kind of things if I remember right.

So yeah there’s some life out there, occasionally intelligent life, but mostly the galaxy is pretty empty.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 22, 2024

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Comin by randomly to say this thread reminded me that, back in ye olde 1983 or so when I was just barely a teen, I drew Aliens fan art of a girl hangin out in her room with her xenomorph bff. I have to go through old boxes of ancient crap -- if I ever find this drawing, I promise to share it here.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Plastic Pal posted:

Comin by randomly to say this thread reminded me that, back in ye olde 1983 or so when I was just barely a teen, I drew Aliens fan art of a girl hangin out in her room with her xenomorph bff. I have to go through old boxes of ancient crap -- if I ever find this drawing, I promise to share it here.

Heck share it on DeviantArt

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Apollodorus posted:

Heck share it on your LinkedIn profile
Fixed

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Watching my buddy's fan edit of Aliens for the first time - I was able to get it running from his Plex server after tweaking some settings.

It's definitely interesting so far. The most notable edit is the inclusion of the establishing shots of Hadley's Hope's administrators talking about the bureaucracy, but nothing with Newt's family. And it's cut in immediately after Ripley asks the company man how many people are on LV426. I'll definitely have to ask buddy what else he's done other than editing, there's 100% some sort of colour grading and treatment, maybe upscaling or even stabilization of some shots - again it sounds corny and unexpected that some fan edit could improve on Cameron's vision but it is definitely the best-looking treatment I've seen so far. Will elaborate when he gets back to me.

Comments apropos of nothing from the latest viewing:
- The character development from the moment the marines all wake from cryosleep is masterful and still some of the most memorable exchanges in film.
- I do find it funny that Ripley is violently set off by seeing Bishop bleeding white revealing he's an android, but she's completely unimpressed and not at all suspicious up to that point despite witnessing his inhumanly-fast game of five finger fillet.
- There's some contention as to whether Drake and Vasquez are romantically involved or just very into the camaraderie and esprit u corps, I've probably noticed this before and just forgot but Drake 100% calls her "baby" when they're gearing up to get into the APC. Could still be some moto language but in my head that's pretty blatant 'more than friends' talk, at least in my headcanon.
- When Bishop is dissecting the facehugger, Spunkmeyer(?) approaches him and he's super cold and totally engrossed by the alien, in a way that echoes Ash in the first film. It's a nice little touch, even though he ends up being good in the end it definitely sows some extra unease in an already-stressful situation.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 24, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
From the PYF Funny Pictures Thread:

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

The Zombie Guy posted:

HERE is a great blind Let's Play of Alien: Isolation, for those who would like the vicarious experience. A:I is absolutely the most intense horror game I've ever played.

Thanks for posting this. I watched the whole thing and now I can fully appreciate this great game I was too chickenshit to actually play myself.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Xenomrph posted:

And then there’s oddball indigenous life that Marines get called in to shoot at sometimes (“bug hunts”).
I always took the dismissive way Hudson and Hicks said "bug hunt" to mean it was the equivalent of a snipe hunt; someone thought they saw scary monsters on a colony world, so the Marines get called in to deal with them and end up wasting their time trudging around some horrible planet looking for something that isn't there.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Small Strange Bird posted:

I always took the dismissive way Hudson and Hicks said "bug hunt" to mean it was the equivalent of a snipe hunt; someone thought they saw scary monsters on a colony world, so the Marines get called in to deal with them and end up wasting their time trudging around some horrible planet looking for something that isn't there.

Sometimes they do end up being glorified over-equipped exterminators - the nose art on one of the dropships says “We Endanger Species”.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm listening to the Terminator 2 episode of Unspooled and they found a tv ad that spoiled the fact Arnie was the "good" robot. I can't remember how our discourse went in this thread about the trailers spoiling the film but there we are.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah it was never in doubt they did, the argument is they did it in order to maximize profits since Arnie was always the good guy by that point.

Creatively, it's a dipshit decision.

Also unspooled sucks, I love Paul sheer but that lady is milquetoast as gently caress.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm listening to the Terminator 2 episode of Unspooled and they found a tv ad that spoiled the fact Arnie was the "good" robot. I can't remember how our discourse went in this thread about the trailers spoiling the film but there we are.

Pretty sure it was on the DVDs and Blu-Rays.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah I think it was always known that Arnold would be the good guy in T2. I erroneously thought that the marketing spoiled 'the greatest early twist of all time'. Still though, it's fun if you run into someone who is completely uninitiated and you get to give them the experience of that ultimate deek-out by watching the two movies back to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The T2 marketing definitely spoiled it, the movie itself plays it as a twist that Arnold is the good guy. Up until the mall hallway shootout, you don’t see the T-1000 do anything shadier than Kyle Reese did in the first movie.