Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Why not google vegan cookies? Ovenly's chocolate chip are the best, but they need an overnight rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Nettle Soup posted:

Had an urge to make biscuits today, but I have no eggs, or butter... I have flour and chocolate and baking powder and sourdough starter....

Do It you loving Coward

Sounds like you should just make a sourdough chocolate torte.

e: okay most tortes need egg

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Hmm, I do have tinned chickpeas for aquafaba

Google has offered me this: https://topwithcinnamon.com/vegan-sourdough-brownies/

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 26, 2022

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Made my annual batch of anise springerle for a German lab manager who retired that I’m still friends with, and a lemon batch for me!

Them some good looking springerle! One of my fav cookies. This is the first year in I don't know how long that my mom hasn't made any since she was visiting my sister in Sweden. The holidays feel weird without homemade stollen, lebkuchen, pfeffernüsse, springerle, or even a fruitcake. Guess I'll have to make them myself to at least keep the tradition alive when she's no longer with us. Prob the hardest thing to find would be baker's ammonia for springerle.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

dog nougat posted:

Them some good looking springerle! One of my fav cookies. This is the first year in I don't know how long that my mom hasn't made any since she was visiting my sister in Sweden. The holidays feel weird without homemade stollen, lebkuchen, pfeffernüsse, springerle, or even a fruitcake. Guess I'll have to make them myself to at least keep the tradition alive when she's no longer with us. Prob the hardest thing to find would be baker's ammonia for springerle.

All of mine came from said lab manager bringing it back for me from Germany (along with the cookie mold). Looks like you can get it on amazon though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Lingonberry squares

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
:eyepop:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hi all! My wife's brother is getting married in a few months and we are expected to take part in the great Pittsburgh tradition, the Cooke Table. We live in Miami and want to make cookies that are representative of the area. We are going to try a few different recipes and ideas before hand, but could use some help. The first cookie is going to use guava or guava paste somehow, basically a cookie version of a pastelito. The second we are thinking of doing a basic sugar cookie, but with a passion fruit or mango (or combo of both!) icing/glaze.

Any one have any recommendations for recipes (especially the first one), or other ideas or suggestions. I am a novice baker, and my wife mostly bakes breads and pastries but are open to challenging recipes since we have some time to try things out.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

swickles posted:

We live in Miami and want to make cookies that are representative of the area.

Hmmmm? https://easyfamilyrecipes.com/key-lime-cookies/

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Guava pastelito cookie and a key lime cookie is the one-two punch.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I made Earl Grey Apricot Hamentaschen from Claire Saffitz's Dessert Person book and they were real good.

That tray did anyway, the other tray I had rolled the dough out slightly thicker and they mostly popped open during baking. Still tasted great though.

If I make them again I'll be sure to keep the dough thinner and I'll probably add an extra tea bag or two when making the filling because the earl grey flavour is pretty subtle.

The dough is really tasty, with the cream cheese and citrus zest in it adding some nice tanginess, they come out soft but not doughy after baking and have a kind of buttery shortbready taste but much much lighter and softer texture.

Highly recommended.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I made Semlor, traditional to make them this time of year both in Sweden and Finland:

The scooped out innards are mixed with melted butter, chopped almonds, sugar and eggs and cooked on low heat, then returned back to the buns:

Then spritz some whipped cream and put the lid back on

There's even a video in english about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ljm5i5N6WQ

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Yum

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Entropic posted:

I made Earl Grey Apricot Hamentaschen from Claire Saffitz's Dessert Person book and they were real good.

I made one recipie of hers and immediately decided to put that particular vice away lest I inflate like a balloon. That woman knows her way around some good food.

Those look amazing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm in a mood, so over the last two days I made bread, brownies, sesame cookies, ginger biscuits, english muffins, and I hosed up simple sugar biscuits because apparently they're the one thing I can't make. I might try shortbead tomorrow.

I have some butter, brown sugar, regular sugar, dark chocolate, and chocolate chips, but no eggs left. I guess I have some tins of chickpeas? Give me your favourite recipies for biscuits to shove in a box or in the freezer!

Not a sweet, but they came out so good!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like to make entremet cakes on occasion.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 8, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our twin boys turned 10 this week so we had one kids party and last night a party for relatives and friends at our house. SO made some cakes and pies. The black & blueberries are from our own yard and some of the hidden filling in the cream cake as well is blueberry based.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Looks delicious!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I have a very old cookie recipe that my mom made a lot when I was little. It has 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar. I can probably just use 1 teaspoon double-action baking powder instead, right?

There's no other obvious source of acid/base I can see. Just sugar, flour ,egg, salt, fat, vanilla.

Based strictly on normal substitutions for baking powder as 2:1 tartar and soda, it's almost like 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon of the baking soda would become 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, plus 1/4 teaspoon baking soda still remaining? Or is that excessively pedantic. Since the cookies have no brown sugar only white, I can't imagine what the extra baking soda is supposed to be reacting with.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 24, 2023

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Rescue Toaster posted:

I have a very old cookie recipe that my mom made a lot when I was little. It has 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar. I can probably just use 1 teaspoon double-action baking powder instead, right?

There's no other obvious source of acid/base I can see. Just sugar, flour ,egg, salt, fat, vanilla.

Based strictly on normal substitutions for baking powder as 2:1 tartar and soda, it's almost like 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1/4 teaspoon of the baking soda would become 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, plus 1/4 teaspoon baking soda still remaining? Or is that excessively pedantic. Since the cookies have no brown sugar only white, I can't imagine what the extra baking soda is supposed to be reacting with.

Acid as a source of flavor is also a thing, and in particular cream of tartar in snickerdoodles is kind of a classic. I would go find some cream of tartar if I were trying to reproduce mom's cookies. You can get a decent sugar cookie without it, but it probably won't taste the same.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Base Emitter posted:

Acid as a source of flavor is also a thing, and in particular cream of tartar in snickerdoodles is kind of a classic. I would go find some cream of tartar if I were trying to reproduce mom's cookies. You can get a decent sugar cookie without it, but it probably won't taste the same.

I'm totally open to that, it's not like a thing of cream of tartar is expensive, I just figured the recipe might use the combo instead of baking powder. But if the cream of tartar was supposed to have remaining acid flavor, wouldn't you need less baking soda? If I'm understanding the proportions right, 2:1 tartar:soda is balanced, so even quantities would totally neutralize all the acid, no?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm totally open to that, it's not like a thing of cream of tartar is expensive, I just figured the recipe might use the combo instead of baking powder. But if the cream of tartar was supposed to have remaining acid flavor, wouldn't you need less baking soda? If I'm understanding the proportions right, 2:1 tartar:soda is balanced, so even quantities would totally neutralize all the acid, no?

It would neutralize it as an acid, but you'd still have a tartrate salt. (I'm kinda guessing here though, I'm not a cookie chemist...)

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m looking to make chocolate and orange cupcakes on friday and I was going to modify the SBA chocolate cupcake recipe by adding some orange zest and juice to the batter and using whole milk instead of the buttermilk to keep the acidity in check. Is that reasonable or am I missing something? Does one orange sound right? If they come out good I’ll post some pictures. If not, I might still post pictures for posterity.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Chakan posted:

I’m looking to make chocolate and orange cupcakes on friday and I was going to modify the SBA chocolate cupcake recipe by adding some orange zest and juice to the batter and using whole milk instead of the buttermilk to keep the acidity in check. Is that reasonable or am I missing something? Does one orange sound right? If they come out good I’ll post some pictures. If not, I might still post pictures for posterity.

They probably won't rise all that much without buttermilk. I'd honestly just go with zest and add orange extract to get the orange flavor. Orange juice will likely get overpowered by the chocolate. You could do juice and add a bit more flour to compensate for the extra liquid and see how it tastes and add some extract of needed and they'll probably turn out fine.

Edit: Orange juice is also pretty sweet, I'd consider dialing back the amount of regular sugar just a bit to offset that if you go that route. Also that seems like a shitload of sugar to begin with for a cupcake recipe relative to the amount of flour and other ingredients. Now I'm intrigued and wanna give chocolate orange cake a go.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 12, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

dog nougat posted:

They probably won't rise all that much without buttermilk. I'd honestly just go with zest and add orange extract to get the orange flavor. Orange juice will likely get overpowered by the chocolate. You could do juice and add a bit more flour to compensate for the extra liquid and see how it tastes and add some extract of needed and they'll probably turn out fine.

Edit: Orange juice is also pretty sweet, I'd consider dialing back the amount of regular sugar just a bit to offset that if you go that route. Also that seems like a shitload of sugar to begin with for a cupcake recipe relative to the amount of flour and other ingredients. Now I'm intrigued and wanna give chocolate orange cake a go.

I appreciate this, but you don’t have any advice here for my very recent problem: my oven is broken and almost guaranteed needs to be replaced. The cupcakes will have to wait!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yo it's christmas! What's everyone baking?

https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/recipes/all/shortbread-biscuits/ I doubled this and added the contents of an earl grey teabag to the mix, and it makes very nice shortbread. Although they did melt a bit in the oven, I don't know how to solve that.

Google says: Chill the dough for a half hour after cutting and before putting in the oven, and don't cream the butter and sugar together, just mix it and don't get too much air in there. Will try that next time.

https://www.sweetestmenu.com/lemon-blueberry-muffins/
I doubled the blueberries and cut the sugar down to 110g and these were very good. Gave them as a last-minute Christmas gift and I think they went down well. Smelt a bit like toilet cleaner when I first opened the oven, due to the high lemon juice content, but tasted fantastic.

https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/melomakarona-greek-christmas-honey-cookies/
Tempted to make these for christmas day, but they need a few ingredients I don't have.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Banana cream pie, chocolate mousse pie, and orange white chocolate cookies. The cookies are from the back of the package of Ghirardelli white chocolate cookies (minus the macadamia nuts yuck), with an extra 1 tsp of vanilla, 2 tsp of orange extract, and an orange worth of zest.

I find when I cook them in my lighter color cookie sheets they take for freaking ever in the oven, like 18 minutes. But on my dark cookie sheets they take 13. I know there's a difference between the two, of course, but it threw me off how stark that difference was when I had to use one of each sheet at the same time! Chaos!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pecan brownies and cranberry muffins. This recipe also works well with ground cherries, in case you’ve ever planted them and had them volunteer year after year.

https://therecipecritic.com/cranberry-muffins/#wprm-recipe-container-123904

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Chocolate butter mochi. Easy to throw together, interesting, and delicious.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chocolate-almond-marbled-bundt-cake
Today we're eating this for breakfast, because christmas is cancelled. I forgot the chocolate side of things, so it's just almond, I put orange zest in instead of almond extract and I put some brown sugar and flaked almonds on the top, and it's pretty great. A tiny bit dry but good with tea.

I tried chilling the biscuits in the fridge thing and not overworking the buttersugar mix and they came out much better. I did have to add water to get them to be anything other than a pile of dust, though.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 25, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's the one time a year I make gingerbread! That's not regularly enough to get good at it, but also frequently enough to not suck rear end at it anymore. Right down the middle, maybe towards the shittier end.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Made some spritz cookies from here: https://preppykitchen.com/spritz-cookies/. I don't have a press so this is with a piping bag. I think they look great, but it's kinda tough to get them squeezed out. It went smoothly once the dough heated up from my hands.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Munkkipossut, syltgrisar or just "pigs". The finnish equivalent to the donut.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Those pigs look delicious

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am looking for a good thumbprint cookie recipe, but I have some expectations:

1. I am looking for fruits and nuts.
2. Last time I did this, I remember having egg whites at hand to help bind the nuts to the cookies.
3. I also remember indenting the cookies partway into the bake, which I think gave me a butter bowl for the jam.

SEO food blog recipes are making it real hard to look up this stuff.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am looking for a good thumbprint cookie recipe, but I have some expectations:

1. I am looking for fruits and nuts.
2. Last time I did this, I remember having egg whites at hand to help bind the nuts to the cookies.
3. I also remember indenting the cookies partway into the bake, which I think gave me a butter bowl for the jam.

SEO food blog recipes are making it real hard to look up this stuff.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9618/thumbprint-cookies-i/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ahh I think this is what I used a few years ago! I remember all the issues with the bake time. It made a decent cookie after that adjustment.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Made a chocolate cheesecake over the weekend. My springform pan betrayed me at every turn...first, it was 10" when I thought it was 9". Then, when I put it into a water bath...it was not watertight! loving water leaked in on my crust and I had to bake without the bath. Finally, it didn't want to release the god drat cake after chilling overnight. What a pain in the rear end.

As for the cake...it cracked super, super bad -- we're talking San Andreas here, the cracks went all the way down to the pan.

So I doubled up on the ganache topping and filled those cracks in; the perfect crime.

The whipped cream on top looks like coiled poop, but it was very tasty. I was happy with how this one came out--super rich, and super chocolatey. But, first time using a recipe = follow to the letter, second time = what iterations can you make.

The cheesecake consisted of an oreo crust, chocolate cheesecake filling (bittersweet and semisweet chocolate), topped with a semisweet ganache and finally cocoa whipped cream.

I'm thinking the following:

Is there a place to sneak in some caramel? Maybe the ganache? Might not be a good idea, the rest of the cake was so overwhelmingly chocolate that I'm not sure if caramel could add much to it
The cocoa whipped cream was delicious, but for aesthetic reasons I might try a plain white whipped cream...I think the white contrast with the rest of the cheesecake would be interesting
Maybe switch out the oreo crust for a standard graham cracker one, give it more of a honey profile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
could do like a cinnamon whipped cream; that might be a nice flavor profile. Or a raspberry topping.