Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

I must be worse. The king can take the bishop, but trading a bishop for the opponent's queen sounds like a pretty good deal?

King can't take the bishop because the knight is covering it. White's only move at that point is to move the king forward, at which point the other bishop moves in and checkmates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
For what it’s worth, I showed the “free queen” meme to three friends of mine with ratings between 1600-2100. They all chuckled sensibly, so it’s a good meme.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/5Z7KsH1.mp4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grundulum posted:

For what it’s worth, I showed the “free queen” meme to three friends of mine with ratings between 1600-2100. They all chuckled sensibly, so it’s a good meme.

I've been watching a bunch of Anna cramling chess videos and they are really fun. She just loving loves chess, man.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Anna Cramling is an extremely chess name.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Tree Bucket posted:

Anal Cramming is an extremely chess name.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

sebmojo posted:

I've been watching a bunch of Anna cramling chess videos and they are really fun. She just loving loves chess, man.

Have any suggestions in particular?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Grundulum posted:

Here’s my problem, I have about a dozen “sensible chuckles” a day. I’m kinda chasing one of those laughs where you can’t catch your breath and cry before passing out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Grundulum posted:

Have any suggestions in particular?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRIiFdw9N7c

I like this guy too he's like Dunkley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9NNSadm4g

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Here’s my problem, I have about a dozen “sensible chuckles” a day. I’m kinda chasing one of those laughs where you can’t catch your breath and cry before passing out.

here's the last video that did that for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CpDldSKxBc

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I was in junior high, but yeah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
at my school we also knew that he blinded himself in one eye, though nobody could agree on whether he did it with bleach or with a fork

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sagebrush posted:

at my school we also knew that he blinded himself in one eye, though nobody could agree on whether he did it with bleach or with a fork

What the gently caress.

Why would he do that?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

what about how whats-his-face (richard gere?) had to go to the ER for a gerbil in his tushy hole and sheryl crow had to go to the ER to get a liter of cum pumped out of her stomach

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress.

Why would he do that?

so he could socket his own cock

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dans Macabre posted:

what about how whats-his-face (richard gere?) had to go to the ER for a gerbil in his tushy hole and sheryl crow had to go to the ER to get a liter of cum pumped out of her stomach

that was sheryl crow? i heard it was the head cheerleader at my school!

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

ToxicFrog posted:

King can't take the bishop because the knight is covering it. White's only move at that point is to move the king forward, at which point the other bishop moves in and checkmates.

What knight? I feel like I'm missing something fundamental, the only white knight is still in its original position, it ain't covering the black back row.

I am also a chessidiot who can't even begin to figure out how black wins this.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Samfucius posted:

What knight? I feel like I'm missing something fundamental, the only white knight is still in its original position, it ain't covering the black back row.

I am also a chessidiot who can't even begin to figure out how black wins this.

White bishop takes black queen.
Black bishop takes white pawn, check.
White king can't take the black bishop because the black knight is defending its square. White's only legal move is to advance the king.
Black's other bishop moves to put white's king in checkmate.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Somewhere in this playlist is a scene that should meet your demand. I don’t remember when exactly it happens, so I guess you’ll have to watch the entire series.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHSbAz1hu9sSeapwasHHUbOfhkzKA0usj

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Well pay her then!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Smh all this talk about board games and no mention of the best board game meme

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

disaster pastor posted:

White bishop takes black queen.
Black bishop takes white pawn, check.
White king can't take the black bishop because the black knight is defending its square. White's only legal move is to advance the king.
Black's other bishop moves to put white's king in checkmate.

Yeah, I think the guy I was responding to thought that the next move (black bishop taking white pawn) was so obvious he didn't need to say it, and left those of us looking at the board-as-presented scratching our heads because it's black's turn, and the white bishop is in no way covered by the white knight.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

New season of True Dectective: Night Country is :discourse:.

Is it actually any good? Season 1 is maybe my favorite season of TV ever but I didn't bother keeping up with 2 or 3.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was in junior high, but yeah.

Same and same, had our own little satanic panic revival around him. It's fun to read through his tour history in the 90s and see all the places that wouldn't let him perform in their town, then got sued for it and lost :lmao:

Dans Macabre posted:

sheryl crow had to go to the ER to get a liter of cum pumped out of her stomach

Heard this one with Lil' Kim :cocaine:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Dans Macabre posted:

When they said Lance Armstrong was juicing I thought it meant steroids

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Why would they even pump the cum out? It's not like it's toxic, as your mother can attest.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Canonically it was Jewel

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

1stGear posted:

Why would they even pump the cum out? It's not like it's toxic, as your mother can attest.

I found it!

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rock-star-stomach-pump/
They collapsed at a party which is why they had to pump the cum out.

edit

quote:

The following people have had this legend attributed to them: Rod Stewart, Elton John, David Bowie, Marc Almond, Mick Jagger, Andy Warhol, Jeff Beck, Jon Bon Jovi, the drummer for Bon Jovi, the lead singer for New Kids on the Block, the Bay City Rollers (what, all of them?), Alanis Morrissette, Li'l Kim, Foxy Brown, Britney Spears, and Fiona Apple.

huh so I guess I owe cheryl crow an apology.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I heard it with Mick Jagger

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I heard it was u

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Dans Macabre posted:

...sheryl crow had to go to the ER to get a liter of cum pumped out of her stomach
I heard Fergal Sharkey

Seems it's a lot of rock stars....

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Yeah, I think the guy I was responding to thought that the next move (black bishop taking white pawn) was so obvious he didn't need to say it, and left those of us looking at the board-as-presented scratching our heads because it's black's turn, and the white bishop is in no way covered by the white knight.

Oh, yeah, sorry, I thought the person I was responding to was talking about the white king taking the black bishop after check.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Isn't chess still getting patch notes?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Cable Guy posted:

I heard Fergal Sharkey

That made me laugh, why would anyone start such rumours about the middlest-of-the-road jawline in a suit? I can understand people targeting Marc Almond, he was pretty provocative, but Feargal Sharkey?? A Good Heart???

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the gently caress.

Why would he do that?

It was an accident that happened on the set of The Wonder Years.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ms Adequate posted:

Smh all this talk about board games and no mention of the best board game meme

lol its pretty much this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyYexTcyY2A

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jestery posted:

Isn't chess still getting patch notes?

https://www.pentadact.com/2022-11-10-five-problems-with-chess/

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
They’re absolutely right about Stalemate and it’s why I don’t play chess. If one player is out of moves but the other player has tons of options left then how the gently caress is that a draw?

Literal complete board dominance and I don’t win BECAUSE I took every option away from you? Dumbest game on the planet.

Yes I am still bitter about a specific match I played in 6th grade.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Any game that elevates rage quitting to a core rule is suspect IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)