Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I know you didn't want to kill your radio presets, but I was wondering if they still make those remote controlled car batteries. They had some kill relay inside. Google just gave me batteries for remote control cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cached Money posted:

And also as that article states, it's probably relay theft where you use a device that amplifies and transmits the keyfob signal from inside your house to the car/truck. Just put your keyfob in a closed metal box at home and it won't work.

How much can they amplify that signal. :ohdear: (my keys are about 50 ft from the inside of the house to the garage)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

How much can they amplify that signal. :ohdear: (my keys are about 50 ft from the inside of the house to the garage)

If you have insurance this type of thing is literally not worth worrying about. If you wanted to you could build a Faraday cage in your home for your keys.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just keep your keys in a faraday box, this is a solved problem. https://www.amazon.com/Samfolk-Faraday-Protector-Anti-Theft-Blocking/dp/B08FX6Q4H3

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VelociBacon posted:

If you have insurance this type of thing is literally not worth worrying about. If you wanted to you could build a Faraday cage in your home for your keys.

Honestly, I'm really not worried about it. Just kinda curious.

I'm more worried about someone getting into the garage and taking my bikes or tools.

Can I put my entire garage into a Faraday box?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

This is my thought process for anything that is relatively new and replaceable.

Uthor posted:

Honestly, I'm really not worried about it. Just kinda curious.

I'm more worried about someone getting into the garage and taking my bikes or tools.

Can I put my entire garage into a Faraday box?

The hack being done on keyless entry cars only works on cars that are always listening / keys that are always broadcasting. Older push-button remotes for unlocking a car or opening a garage door aren't subject to this, but they may be susceptible to a replay attack instead.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah especially if your garage door motor is a specific brand that was leaked awhile ago on I think sub 2.5ghz. I have one of those pocket tools that could in theory blast every frequency over a second or two. I actually made recordings of my own underground parking and keyfob signatures with it just for fun and it absolutely works.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Uthor posted:

The relay devices can sometimes be connected to smartphones for effectively infinite range over the internet, the attackers can work as teams with one getting close to likely places for people to put their keys and the other near the cars.

Newer keyless systems are adding timing checks to prevent long range relay attacks but there are a LOT of cars with older systems and I'm pretty sure some of those older systems are still in production.

In general the answer is to not keep your keys near your door, or if that's unavoidable keep them in a RF attenuating enclosure.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Do your tires show signs of actual rubbing? Or the wheel wells?

If there's no actual rubbing, it's almost certainly a wheel bearing.

It was a wheel bearing 😀

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I was backing out of my garage, and I hit my passenger-side rear view mirror at just the right angle, and it exploded. The only thing left intact is the glass mirror, which was dangling from it's wiring. 3 out of the 4 bosses that the outer shell attach to are undamaged (still have the screws in them), so I should just be able to replace the broken parts.

I used to work on cars, but that was like 25 years ago. I have no idea where to start to find the parts.

I have a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and I live in Massachusetts.
My MA inspection is up in two weeks, so I need to make this happen soon.

Help me, goons.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

I was backing out of my garage, and I hit my passenger-side rear view mirror at just the right angle, and it exploded. The only thing left intact is the glass mirror, which was dangling from it's wiring. 3 out of the 4 bosses that the outer shell attach to are undamaged (still have the screws in them), so I should just be able to replace the broken parts.

I used to work on cars, but that was like 25 years ago. I have no idea where to start to find the parts.

I have a 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and I live in Massachusetts.
My MA inspection is up in two weeks, so I need to make this happen soon.

Help me, goons.

Rockauto.com but if you need it done in 2 weeks I'd call wreckers and try to find one the right colour. They usually pull this kind of thing off the cars for you these days and you pay probably a little too much but just pick it up from their desk.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

OK, I'll start there. I can fix an extra 10 days with a failed test, so I should be OK.
Thank you.

EDIT:
Yeah, that's the whole thing. I was hoping to cheap out with just the broken parts.

VelociBacon posted:

I'd call wreckers

Where I live, that means driving to RI. Ugh.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 24, 2024

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Check ebay

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wolrah posted:

The relay devices can sometimes be connected to smartphones for effectively infinite range over the internet, the attackers can work as teams with one getting close to likely places for people to put their keys and the other near the cars.

Newer keyless systems are adding timing checks to prevent long range relay attacks but there are a LOT of cars with older systems and I'm pretty sure some of those older systems are still in production.

In general the answer is to not keep your keys near your door, or if that's unavoidable keep them in a RF attenuating enclosure.

Interesting info (you and the other goons talking about Grand Theft Autos).

This just happened a couple weeks ago near me too:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/14-ford-edge-suvs-stolen-from-factory-lot-in-most-boring-car-heist-ever

I wonder how they did it, but I can almost see where they (Ford) might think that if they're in a fenced in locked compound then maybe they leave the keys with them to save someone from having to spend an hour tracking down 75 keys so that they can get to a specific car in the middle of the pile.
But on the other hand, they probably don't do that.

I know a couple people that work at that plant. I should ask them what they do.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
How does the engine (2022 6.7 Cummins) in the truck I've been driving warm up so quickly in the winter?

I usually hit the remote start before I brush my teeth and by the time I'm done and get in there's already slightly warm air blowing out of the vents. I've never driven a diesel that didn't take ages to warm up before, at -10F my TDI could only maintain temperature on the highway if I didn't block the radiator.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

How does the engine (2022 6.7 Cummins) in the truck I've been driving warm up so quickly in the winter?

I usually hit the remote start before I brush my teeth and by the time I'm done and get in there's already slightly warm air blowing out of the vents. I've never driven a diesel that didn't take ages to warm up before, at -10F my TDI could only maintain temperature on the highway if I didn't block the radiator.

Aluminum block?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

A lot of modern emissions stuff if centered around getting the catalytic converter up to temp (and the engine too) asap since operating temp gives the best emissions.

I think. Not my area of expertise.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

honda whisperer posted:

A lot of modern emissions stuff if centered around getting the catalytic converter up to temp (and the engine too) asap since operating temp gives the best emissions.

Given your name and av, I’d assume your expertise only applies to rotary Hondas

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

honda whisperer posted:

That's what I was thinking, but what did Dodge/Cummins do to make that happen? It does go into a high idle mode if you let it idle long enough but not until it's been running 5+ minutes.

It feels weird to say this but I'd take a Dodge over a Ford in a second after driving this thing despite all the recalls. As CSB knows the Ford would have eaten several turbos by now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SpeedFreek posted:

If Google is right, there's an auxiliary heater in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIl3EzGv72s

My 2.8 diesel Canyon has one for the same reason - fucker would take forever to warm up on its own.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If Google is right, there's an auxiliary heater in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIl3EzGv72s

My 2.8 diesel Canyon has one for the same reason - fucker would take forever to warm up on its own.

Yes, it's this. Diesel engines actually (as you might already have known, hence the question) suck at generating heat. So diesel vehicles use secondary heaters for cabin heat. It's quite a source of wasted energy. There may or may not be efforts to replace the current ones with more efficient heaters.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You can always take the batteries out of your key fobs. You can still start the car and unlock it and all that, but it doesn’t have a powered antenna anymore, so you can’t amplify it through a wall.

I have a Nissan key fob that just doesn’t work without a battery.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Are dealer ceramic coatings any good? I'm looking at a car and it comes with a ceramic coating I can't opt out of. And it's drat expensive.

Googling it gives me a lot of car dealers saying they're great and detailers saying they're crap, come pay us to do it. So I need a non-biased opinion.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

SpeedFreek posted:

That's what I was thinking, but what did Dodge/Cummins do to make that happen? It does go into a high idle mode if you let it idle long enough but not until it's been running 5+ minutes.

The trick to fast modern warm-up is to have a pile of cooling loops for the coolant to travel based on its temperature. It's optimized for block/catalyst warmup. One reduces particulates, the other increases catalyst efficiency and lifespan.

It started happening in gassers 20ish years ago. Didn't really start seeing the tech transfer to diesels till the common-rail era.
Powersports made the change somewhere around the same era as cars. If you're curious there's conversion kits for klrs that change how its coolant system operates to be more ... consistent.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

The trick to fast modern warm-up is to have a pile of cooling loops for the coolant to travel based on its temperature. It's optimized for block/catalyst warmup. One reduces particulates, the other increases catalyst efficiency and lifespan.

It started happening in gassers 20ish years ago. Didn't really start seeing the tech transfer to diesels till the common-rail era.
Powersports made the change somewhere around the same era as cars. If you're curious there's conversion kits for klrs that change how its coolant system operates to be more ... consistent.

Yeah, my new car (to me - the car is 2020) with a VW TDI takes ages for the gauge to reach normal temperature even in these mild UK winters but starts putting heat out the cabin vents after only a few minutes.

As well as the usual tricks with the catalyst, reduction chamber, DPF etc. which makes it run very high EGTs to get the exhaust and head up to temp. It has separate coolant circuits for the head and the block (with their own thermostats for their respective optimum temperatures) and a variable flow water pump.

Like all diesels it warms up much more quickly under a decent load, but it's hard to actually work it hard during warm-up without breaking a lot of traffic laws!

About 10 years ago I worked for a company that had a couple of Toyota Hilux pickups which had 'heat generators' - basically just a miniature fluid clutch pack driven off the aux belt and fitting into the block coolant passages. When you hit a button on the dash it engaged the clutch and the heat generated by the spinning was soaked up by the coolant and kept the temperature up enough to provide cabin heat even when the engine was idling for hours on a cold day.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Years ago I remember reading in one of the big three US car mags (MT, C&D or R&T) about some new development that I think Ford was doing where they would store coolant in a thermos like container and when the car was started, it would get circulated around the engine to help speed warm up and thus help to lower emissions and probably boost fuel economy a bit since the engine would get to operating temps and go in to closed loop (or is it open loop) mode faster.

Guess it never panned out the way they'd hoped.

E: also I don't want to continue the Grand Theft Auto derail, but I talked to my friend who works at the factory where 14 Ford Edges got jacked a few weeks ago and asked him how they could have gotten stolen, with questions like: is the compound locked? Do they keep the keys somewhere organized/locked up?, and the cars locked? What is security like at the compound?

Without telling you how easy it is to jack them, his response was something along the lines of "LOL no."

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 26, 2024

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Years ago I remember reading in one of the big three US car mags (MT, C&D or R&T) about some new development that I think Ford was doing where they would store coolant in a thermos like container and when the car was started, it would get circulated around the engine to help speed warm up and thus help to lower emissions and probably boost fuel economy a bit since the engine would get to operating temps and go in to closed loop (or is it open loop) mode faster.

Volvo and I assume also Saab was doing this back in the late 90s, they kept touting this as “the next big thing for emissions control”, to the degree that it made the normal papers and not just trade rags.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
The most likely tech to be implemented (if any) is probably going to be electronically heated catalysts tbh. There's been a lot of other tech ideas thrown around but ehc is just so much easier to implement than any of the others.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What did Chrysler do to end up where they have 2 entire cars now? Weren’t they like a gigantic thing way back when?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Given your name and av, I’d assume your expertise only applies to rotary Hondas

Holding a 13b "neat but where does the vtec go?"

SpeedFreek posted:

It feels weird to say this but I'd take a Dodge over a Ford in a second after driving this thing despite all the recalls. As CSB knows the Ford would have eaten several turbos by now.

Answered better by others but one I just learned about are tumble generators that are butterfly valves in the intake manifold of Subarus. They make the idle air turbulent at startup to help get more complete combustion, then lock wide open for normal operation. (06 sti at least)

I know my BRZ sounds weird for the first 30 seconds or so it runs. Twice as loud and has a nice burble. By the time I lock the garage and hop back in it's in sewing machine mode again. I'm not sure what it's doing though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

honda whisperer posted:

I know my BRZ sounds weird for the first 30 seconds or so it runs. Twice as loud and has a nice burble. By the time I lock the garage and hop back in it's in sewing machine mode again. I'm not sure what it's doing though.

It's heating up the O2 sensor and undergoing dew point waiting so it can go into closed loop.
(and probably other stuff)

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Invalido posted:

Dad's Saab 99 had an ignition lock that was so worn at the end of the car's life that it could be started with a popsicle stick.

I had a 900 that no one else but me could start, you had to push the key down and use a specific amount of force twisting.

Anyway, maybe someone can help me get on the right track with a 94 f150 that cranks but doesn't start. A year or two ago it would idle rough cold and often die changing gears(auto), now it cranks but doesnt start at all. Don't hear a fuel pump priming and starting fluid in the throttle body will get it going for a couple seconds so im pretty sure its the fuel system but god knows what else is wrong considering its sat for 4 years or so. what do now??

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it never tries to run on its own but does when you have starter fluid, pretty much just pick an aspect of the fuel system and check it to see if it's working or not. For example, check fuel pressure - if it's good, you can assume the pump is good and the relay running the pump is good, but then you need to see if the injectors are being commanded to fire / if they flow when commanded.

Or if there's no fuel pressure - make sure the pump is getting 12V. If it's not, figure out why, if it is then the pump might be dead, etc...

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

buglord posted:

What did Chrysler do to end up where they have 2 entire cars now? Weren’t they like a gigantic thing way back when?

"being chrysler"

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Anyone have experience with Toyota's TrueStart warranty?

Came out to a dead (we're talking 3V, couldn't even get the dome light to turn on) 12V battery on Tuesday morning in my Prius. I had last driven it on Saturday, when I ran a bunch of errands around town and did an oil change afterwards, plus it's sat for longer in significantly colder weather with no ill effect. No trouble starting or anything in the leadup. I have three theories on what happened, only the first of which I like:

1) Had the cargo area completely stuffed*, like piled to the top of the hatch, so maybe the trunk was slightly open with the light on, which ran the battery down. I would think I'd have heard the extra air whistling around while I drove, but maybe not?
2) A parasitic draw somewhere (fun with multimeter and pulling fuses one by one)
3) The manual was on the passenger seat. I had used it earlier in the day to double check oil capacity but it 100% was put away, and my partner was sitting there for the ride home. I can't think of any reason I'd have taken it out when I got home, but maybe it's possible? Otherwise, maybe I left the car unlocked and an opportunistic crackhead had a rummage with the dome light on, didn't find anything, and left without turning it off. However, I had a bunch of tools in the back seat, none of which were touched.

Anyways.

Got the battery out and it's a TrueStart with April of '21 stickers, claims to be an 84 month warranty. Google results are flooded with dealerships repeating the same stuff; it's 24 months with a pro-rated replacement after that. I did call a local dealership (what came up when I was looking on Toyota's site) and leave a message but can't find any specifics on what the replacement would cost, if I can just bring the old one in and swap it, what conditions they might not honour it, etc. A new one is $250 which I definitely do not want to pay if I can help it, and not easy to find locally.

*did not know about the leads in the front of the car I could have used to check voltage, so this involved removing everything through the back passenger door, worming my way into the cargo area, and releasing the hatch manually from inside, because the stupid boot lid won't open from the outside without power.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How do core charges work with RockAuto? Do they expect me to ship the old battery back to them? Is there any problem if I choose to eat the $18 and drop it off at the recycling center instead?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Eat the $18. Drop it off at any auto center.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Tried to schedule a timing chain and water pump change at local Toyota dealership (2009 4Runner, 283k miles) after learning from previous owner it had never been done. I was under the impression for tge v6 it was to be done at 250k miles, but the dealership said they dont replace that part unless its showing signs of failure.

Isnt the sign of failure for the timing chain it breaking outright?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Oh I remember that... when I fist saw in it Popular Science, they called it a "heat battery".

After that, it got a little bit of mainstream press, and then nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

How do core charges work with RockAuto? Do they expect me to ship the old battery back to them? Is there any problem if I choose to eat the $18 and drop it off at the recycling center instead?

It's exactly that, they charge you the core up front and expect you to ship the part back to get the core charge back. If they never get the core, they don't care. For batteries I've even seen local shops just offer $8-10 cash for used batteries.

I have zero interest in dealing with returned cores like that unless I absolutely have to. The last thing I ordered from RA with a core charge was the Opel GT's starter, which is a beefy thing on par with what you'd expect for a first-gen small block V8. The core charge on it? $2.