Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
quick brown fox is some lab rat poo poo. We do real world testing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

this just arrived for me today and lmao it's absolutely wild

https://grabshell.io

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

holy poo poo, tell me more about that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

its crazy that logitech still doesn't make a usb-c 2.4ghz receiver. the mice themselves use usb-c to charge, its not like they've never heard of it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
new hellraiser movie's lookin kinda lame

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we have such memes to show you

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

those are hosed up layouts

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Subjunctive posted:

those are hosed up layouts

no man once you get used to it you can type so much faster on a ZJDDQ layout

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the drop before model m lmko

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh man, the hoteling stations at the office have Keychron K3 Pros (with company-logo escape keys). this is so nice

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

oh man, the hoteling stations at the office have Keychron K3 Pros (with company-logo escape keys). this is so nice

no 10key? I'd resign

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

akadajet posted:

no 10key? I'd resign

I said “ugh, tenkeyless” aloud when I first saw them, but my opinion improved when I got close enough to recognize the brand

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Subjunctive posted:

damnit I had just talked myself out of a k3 pro to bp out my k3 at home, but now…

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Jonny 290 posted:

quick brown fox is some lab rat poo poo. We do real world testing here.

on the subject of pangrams:

https://www.typography.com/blog/text-for-proofing-fonts

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agile Vector posted:

damnit I had just talked myself out of a k3 pro to bp out my k3 at home, but now…

the glorious GMMK Pro was one of our Christmas-gift options from work last year too, this place is good on keebs

(one of my colleagues wrote his own firmware, like an alternative to QMK)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I saw an ad today for ceramic keycaps. That sounds pretty nice to me but they might feel cold?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

akadajet posted:

I saw an ad today for ceramic keycaps. That sounds pretty nice to me but they might feel cold?

The Cerakey caps? They're a little cool to the touch but you get used to it very quickly. I was a backer on their first Kickstarter run.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kvantum posted:

The Cerakey caps? They're a little cool to the touch but you get used to it very quickly. I was a backer on their first Kickstarter run.

yeah. I think it looks like a nice alternative to plastic

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they feel great but I need them to make an alice set

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy puberty caps

the difference between absolute and puberty caps is huge. is ceramic that much better again?

they’d have higher mass, right? does that affect how they feel

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

echinopsis posted:

I enjoy puberty caps

the difference between absolute and puberty caps is huge. is ceramic that much better again?

they’d have higher mass, right? does that affect how they feel

i assume you're referring to abs and pbt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yes that’s what abs and pbt stand for

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

akadajet posted:

yeah. I think it looks like a nice alternative to plastic

I love 'em, for what it's worth. I won't go back to plastic, either ABS or PBT, if I have it my way. Smooth, cool, a little bit slick, and the sound. They somehow make a board with clicky switches (I use Box Navies) also just as thocky so don't get them if you're looking for a silent board. Ceramic caps are noisy, but wonderfully so IMO.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can't believe this thread dropped to page 5!

i am kinda interested in the look of the keychron keyboards. i like a full size one with a numpad and i also like having the knob.

i currently use a logitech craft which i guess has basically chiclet keys. and a thinkpad with similar ones. i like at least a few millimeters of travel but haven't used a mechanical keyboard of these sorts before. i don't want something super noisy.

1) what are the best switches for me to get?
2) are there any differences between the q6 and v6 other than the q6 is metal?
3) is the metal body of the q6 worth it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
q series has a gasketed setup so the board is sandwiched tighter to that nice aluminum chassis. absolutely worth it if you want to spend the extra

start with reds or maybe browns. i have boards with red, blue, and brown and ended up liking reds best. brown is a little less clicky if you dont like that. blues sound like a machine gun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've got one that has that retro vibe. I love it

I would prefer stiffer switches than the browns, but eh what are you gonna do

make sure the caps are PBT. seriously, PBT is the 120hz of keyboard plastics

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

can't believe this thread dropped to page 5!

i am kinda interested in the look of the keychron keyboards. i like a full size one with a numpad and i also like having the knob.

i currently use a logitech craft which i guess has basically chiclet keys. and a thinkpad with similar ones. i like at least a few millimeters of travel but haven't used a mechanical keyboard of these sorts before. i don't want something super noisy.

1) what are the best switches for me to get?
2) are there any differences between the q6 and v6 other than the q6 is metal?
3) is the metal body of the q6 worth it?

The standard advice is to order keychron boards from amazon because their in-house customer service is completely horrendous, and they do seem to have reliability problems.

I just got a metal body full-size (monsgeek m5) and it's awesome. Runs open firmware too (qmk).

For what switches to get, that's all personal preference. If you don't want loud switches you probably want linears or tactiles, the quietest switches are dampened with little rubber bumpers on the key stem. Browns are an ok place to start but the tactile bump is very small.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i got that cheapo keychron (c3 pro) that jonny mentioned a bit ago and tbh it's pretty drat nice for a $30 keyboard

i did wind up getting a 'nice' keyboard from drop (the ctrl v2), though. feels like a murder weapon from a modern columbo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mewse posted:

The standard advice is to order keychron boards from amazon because their in-house customer service is completely horrendous, and they do seem to have reliability problems.

disaster pastor posted:

If you have an issue with your keyboard and go to Keychron, they will essentially say "first of all, go gently caress yourself, you're not entitled to a working keyboard, and second, if you bother us again about this, we'll show up at your house and shove the keyboard up your rear end." If you bought it from Amazon, though, Amazon will just, y'know, replace it.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper
kailh box whites are the best clicky switches

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am super careful to not get into being really picky about switch brands

if i'm typing enough that it matters, i need 2 log off

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper
brand doesn't matter, but i think they are the only people that make them. the v2s are pre-lubed too.

though i just built the lily58 with the choc white switches, which are lower profile, and the typeractive board, which have a tighter spacing.
https://typeractive.xyz/products/lily58-partially-assembled-pcb?variant=47313748590823

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Pooper Hero posted:

kailh box whites are the best clicky switches

Navy and Jade are both better than the Whites, but any Kailh Box clicky switch is better than any other company's clicky ones. They use a click bar instead of a click jacket. Just produces a better sound.

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper
also the reset and activation point are the same, unlike cherry blues

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the double clicky of blues is really weird. I don't use that board much but when i'm in The Mood for it, it's perfect. also its one of the aluminum body ones so it's just super sewing-machine-ey

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have a keyboard with box jades, and while i like it quite a bit, id like some switches that feel very similar but less loud for night-typing. maybe box burnt oranges? idk. not sure i want to go down the rabbit hole again.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thock supremacy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m going to keep using my kinesis freestyle edge with cherry mx reds I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005