Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
It's real, it's the same wording as acts bit on the treaty in their manifesto lol, not even a surprise

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Copy+paste by the absolute best people

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://x.com/henrycooke/status/1748107706320171497?s=46&t=z-BpKV_zuayDXrjUW20mQw

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/19/leaked-ministry-doc-warns-bill-could-break-spirit-and-text-of-treaty/

1 news says it's a leg bid, which makes sense – the headings match the template https://www.dpmc.govt.nz/publications/about-legislation-programme

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

sebmojo posted:

I feel like I should do an effort post on the public law implications of the principles, but pending that read this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Maori_Council_v_Attorney-General

So you define everyone in NZ as Maori leadership and thus destroy the need to consult actual Maori leadership? Is that about right?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So you define everyone in NZ as Maori leadership and thus destroy the need to consult actual Maori leadership? Is that about right?

Nah it just ignores the treaty entirely p much

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Here's a quick explainer for anyone who doesn't really understand:

Seymour's proposed principles do two interconnected things.

One would be to overwrite what Te Tiriti is, in the sense of constitutional law. Basically when the Courts and the Waitangi Tribunal make rulings based on Te Tiriti they don't refer to the actual text(s) themselves, but rather to the underlying principles behind both texts. There are a bunch of "principles" that have been semi-codified over the last 40 years by various rulings in the Courts and by decisions by the Waitangi Tribunal. Various bits of legislation require that the principles be given effect in a variety of ways, sometimes fairly specifically and other times in pretty vague ways.

There are a bunch of principles, probably the most important one being the principle of partnership. A bunch of landmark cases in the Courts have found that all versions of the treaty were an attempt to establish a partnership between the Crown and Māori. This is the most important because a principle of partnership establishes a bunch of flow-ons, like a duty to act in good faith, for there to be informed decision making (i.e. genuine consultation), etc. Other principles are the Crown's duty to actively protect Māori people, culture and taonga (including language); and the principle of mutual benefit.

Seymour's proposal would replace all of this with some bland libertarian principles that are already part of our constitutional law through poo poo like the NZBORA.

The second (and related) thing is to redefine what Tino Rangatiratanga means and, in doing so, erase the principle of partnership along with all the flow-ons.

It does this in the proposed principle #2, where it says that all "New Zealanders" have Tino Rangatiratanga over their land and property, and then (in the leaked document) defines Tino Rangatiratanga as "chieftainship". Without a recognition that Te Tiriti granted Māori tino rangatiratanga, or absolute sovereignty, there's no longer any requirement for the Crown to act in partnership with Māori, because Māori would have no sovereignty except through the Crown.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

John Campbell's piece about the hui yesterday at Turangawaewae is good:

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/21/john-campbell-i-saw-peace-joy-and-10000-people-uniting-to-say-no/

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
so are all those leaking cracks in the road and sidewalk in wellington not water features?? kinda like the bucket fountain but less colourful i guess

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Booty Pageant posted:

so are all those leaking cracks in the road and sidewalk in wellington not water features?? kinda like the bucket fountain but less colourful i guess

That is doing a disservice to the bucket fountain, it is raised so that a decent gust of wind can completely soak tourists while they pose for pictures.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Content to Hover posted:

it is raised so that a decent gust of wind can completely soak tourists while they pose for pictures.

could that be counted as irrigation??

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Booty Pageant posted:

Potentially growing tourist numbers, so maybe?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol at least 55% of the wcc rates take is spent on water and roads, I guess the council could close all the pools, parks, beaches and libraries in order to fund THE PIPES

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Booty Pageant posted:

Shouldn't be hasty to shut it down, I think it'll make a fine distribution point for citizens to fill their own buckets in the coming months.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 22, 2024

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Infrastructure costs money, while increasing rates (or taxes if you centralise) costs elections. So we need to recognise the inherent beauty that poo fountains and sidewalk water features bring to our capital.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Booty Pageant posted:

i'm getting word that the stream at the corner of tory and wakefield is now old enough to drink at the panhead bar it passes in front of

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lol at least 55% of the wcc rates take is spent on water and roads, I guess the council could close all the pools, parks, beaches and libraries in order to fund THE PIPES

to be fair, access to safe drinking water and sanitation is more important than those other things

but i think they should tear down city hall first before looking at cutting those

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i'm getting word that the stream at the corner of tory and wakefield is now old enough to drink at the panhead bar it passes in front of

good news! heritage nz had been thinking of declaring the stream as a historic place. however they decided to go with the BP station down the road instead

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The view of the stream from the BP has been declared an Historic View, though, so don't worry it's not going anywhere.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Progressive JPEG posted:

to be fair, access to safe drinking water and sanitation is more important than those other things

but i think they should tear down city hall first before looking at cutting those

Love to live in a city with zero amenities and no events but there's water, sewage and roads

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Love to live in a city with zero amenities and no events but there's water, sewage and roads

come on down to christchurch!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

redleader posted:

Oh eventually we'll finish the stadium and have some sort of events. After raising rates over and over for several years to pay for it all...

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

The central library is fantastic, to be fair.

And maybe the pool complex in town will be finished one day.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

redleader posted:

Hey at least central government spent a bit of money on EQ recovery in chch

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Hey at least central government spent a bit of money on EQ recovery in chch

Whereas as far as I'm aware, so far this govt doesn't plan to do anything at all in Christchurch (and probably scrap many of the stuff that was previously planned)

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

May i interest you in Palmerston North?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Firstscion posted:

May i interest you in Palmerston North?

No you may not.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/507356/new-zealand-to-deploy-defence-force-to-red-sea

This gov sucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have to show we're still on team genocide

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Look international law is very important. Which is why we are supporting South Africa's case at the ICJ going to help bomb Ansar Allah.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
the geysers are supposed to be in rotorua not wellington!!
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/507425/houghton-bay-residents-could-have-been-injured-by-exploding-water-main-eyewitness

though i might be biased but i'd prefer the smell of sulfur than the smell of everyone's faeces mixed together

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

driving up inflation by helping escalate a conflict to "protect supply chains" ftw

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/25/budget-deficit-11b-lower-than-forecast/

Apparently the "books" are not quite as dire as it was made out to be, but let's not let a little thing like evidence get in the way of saying the previous govt did a terrible job.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's just proof of how national are so good at economy

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Just like when Labour got in last time and found the books were waaaay worse than National said they were.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Is Treasury just an arm of the National party at this point?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*looking at two fingers of a giant hand* is index finger just an arm of middle finger at this point?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

exmachina posted:

Is Treasury just an arm of the National party at this point?
The national party is an arm of capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah but so is the Labour party, wearing a prettier mask