Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Anyone ever play Warsim? Looks pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Zokari posted:

if someone released a game that literally had pokemon in it, why should i care? i'll play it if it's good

why do people think it's their job to be nintendo's lawyers

I guess they don't realize Nintendo has had the police abduct people for modding their games in the past and will prosecute anyone who violates their copyright to the full extent of the law.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Nintendo kills the Palworld League

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I started but fell into a white hole with The Outer Wilds which is as amazing as everybody has been screaming directly in my face for several years it is. I wish they'd told me and I'd listened sooner!

You fall OUT of white holes, have you learned nothing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dabir posted:

You fall OUT of white holes, have you learned nothing

Based on my repeated performances in Brittle Hollow... no!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

okay so now we need to start emailing Capcom instead cause theres two pals that are just Teostra and Lunastra

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Monster Hunter is already Pokemon with guns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Gotta say I’m pretty surprised to learn that palworld hq (Pocket Pair) is in Japan. I really thought the devs would be from like Moldavia or something

Makes Nintendo’s upcoming occupation of their building a lot simpler

Can always recognize an eu4 player when they call Moldova Moldavia

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

verbal enema posted:

Anyone ever play Warsim? Looks pretty good

it's fun, has more content than it appears on the surface. the game seems a bit overly simple at first but as you explore more you'll run into stuff all over. the guy has been steadily updating it nonstop for years and years now.

I was never super happy with the actual combat side of things but I believe there were a few big updates to it since I last played that seem to have improved it. will probably go back and try it out since it's been a while.

if the idea of a text based kingdom builder RPG sounds like your jam then I'd definitely give it a shot. lots of randomization and hidden events and etc to keep things fresh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, this statement reads more like Pokemon Co. would appreciate it if everyone stopped talking about this. They don't care, Palworld is not a threat to Pokemon.

Coincidentally the next Pokemon game has survival crafting elements

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zokari posted:

if someone released a game that literally had pokemon in it, why should i care? i'll play it if it's good

how can you appreciate the fun when the looming spectre of intellectual property violation, the worst crime known to man, is hovering behind you the whole game?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kerrzhe posted:

okay so now we need to start emailing Capcom instead cause theres two pals that are just Teostra and Lunastra

owns

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zokari posted:

The internet has made children stupid.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WaltherFeng posted:

Monster Hunter is already Pokemon with guns

Everyone is there for the big swords though

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Also Pocket Pair's next game is just Hollow Knight:

https://www.pocketpair.jp/nevergrave

It'll probably slap though.
It'll come out before Silksong and it'll make Silksong fanatics super angry.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Palworld 2: Yarntune's delays are going to make people really mad

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kerrzhe posted:

Holy gently caress...they even copied themselves....stealing their own design but blue....how deep does it go???

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

is there a 1/4096 chance to run into a subtly-differently-coloured palworld pal?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Jay Rust posted:

is there a 1/4096 chance to run into a subtly-differently-coloured palworld pal?

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

165, -444 occasionally has a blue hedgehog.

Edit. I mistook this for the Palworld thread.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 25, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's fine, the palworld thread is merely this thread with its proportions tweaked anyways

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Attack on Princess posted:

Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

165, -444 occasionally has a blue hedgehog.

Edit. I mistook this for the Palworld thread.

Super Palmon God Super Palmon

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jay Rust posted:

Naw, the odds are much higher and rather than being a different color they're literally shiny. They're called Lucky pals and are usually twice the size of a regular version and come with a sweet move they don't normally have.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
There's lucky pals and subspecies pals.

Pals for every occasion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only problem I'd really have with just using Pokemon is that it is staggeringly lazy and uncreative and I'd rather see monster trainer stuff use its own ideas instead of Big Lots Pikachu.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tick tock it's layoffs o'clock.
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1750522175163883953

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually these mergers are good because

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
doesn't that seem way too high to be the result of merger consolidation? thats a pretty big number

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hatty posted:

doesn't that seem way too high to be the result of merger consolidation? thats a pretty big number

Apparently that survival game Blizzard was making got cancelled so that's probably a chunk of it. Apparently most of these are coming from Activision because consolidation is good and Microsoft are totally going to handle it better. Seems like a bunch of Blizzard execs are peacing out now the sale's gone through too.

The Verge posted:

Alongside the layoffs, Blizzard president Mike Ybarra has decided to leave the company. “As many of you know, Mike previously spent more than 20 years at Microsoft. Now that he has seen the acquisition through as Blizzard’s president, he has decided to leave the company,” says Microsoft’s game content and studios president Matt Booty in an internal memo.

Microsoft plans to name a new Blizzard president next week. Allen Adham, Blizzard’s chief design officer, is also leaving the company. “As one of Blizzard’s cofounders, Allen has had a broad impact on all of Blizzard’s games. His influence will be felt for years to come, both directly and indirectly as Allen plans to continue mentoring young designers across the industry,” says Booty.

Blizzard’s previously announced survival game has also been canceled as part of these changes. Booty says Microsoft will be “shifting some of the people working on it to one of several promising new projects Blizzard has in the early stages of development.”

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 25, 2024

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

hatty posted:

This is all still pandemic correction. 2024 will likely be another full year of contraction, layoffs, and closures in the video game industry.

I'm sure consolidation will also continue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If only someone could've foreseen that a massive spike caused by people having nothing to do might not last.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also just the general fact that a lot of big spending/VC investment in the industry has not worked out as well as parties involved had hoped. Many within the industry are saying we'll still be seeing this going through 2025.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

If only someone could've foreseen that a massive spike caused by people having nothing to do might not last.

yeah well if you're not hiring up when everyone else is your shareholders will probably get pretty upset at you!!!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol I need to change careers, jesus christ

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

njsykora posted:

Apparently that survival game Blizzard was making got cancelled so that's probably a chunk of it. Apparently most of these are coming from Activision because consolidation is good and Microsoft are totally going to handle it better. Seems like a bunch of Blizzard execs are peacing out now the sale's gone through too.

It's 1900 across the whole "gaming division"

Wondering how that breaks down, cause :stare:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pretty sure 2024 is already pushing half of 2023's TOTAL number of video game industry jobs lost to layoffs.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mutata posted:

Pretty sure 2024 is already pushing half of 2023's TOTAL number of video game industry jobs lost to layoffs.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1750530203468849230

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You know, when I was young I wanted to be in the video game industry more than anything.

Holy poo poo I'm glad I changed my mind.

Except working for Nintendo, that would've been cool.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Except working for Nintendo, that would've been cool.

Unfortunately, I've only really heard bad things, lol.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

mutata posted:

Unfortunately, I've only really heard bad things, lol.

My choice is justified more and more.

(I'm just recalling how instead of laying people off, the president or CEO or something took a pay cut).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kerrzhe posted:

I didn’t have much interest in Palworld but man the idea of brutally murdering Lunastra with an RPG is tempting