Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Judge Kaplan will have seen that photo of Habba, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Most Americans hate Trump and don't want to hear about him, but Trump's not the one pulling this stunt and a majority of the country still thinks that the GOP is the party to trust on immigration and "border security": https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/first-read/poll-republicans-advantages-immigration-crime-economy-rcna117054

This is absolutely favorable ground to them if this stunt blows up into a national story.

that article is from 5 months ago, the GOP got clocked in an off year election already

I think the GOP has done some new and exciting ways of loving up since then

Seriously why do people in this thread just act like the GOP hasn't eaten poo poo repeatedly at the polls since 2018?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 25, 2024

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Vire posted:

Not trying to be a doomer
you are being a doomer though

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 25, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, Abbott isn’t actually gonna defy anything. Nobody is seceding or going to war or starting poo poo with Mexico. He’s just gonna put out a bunch of official statements about how he’s gonna stand up to feds, because this is all just a chance for him to remind Trump he exists and would be very happy to be selected as VP candidate. (While also staving off potential challenges from the right, which are the only challenges that could cause problems for him when he’s up for election again in 2026.)

I can’t imagine Trump putting someone who requires a wheelchair on the ticket. He’s just going to be the latest moron prostrating himself only to be called a slur on TRUTH

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Waffle House posted:

Gonna stop you right there, neither of these terms is congruous with reality, gottta remind you that you're dealing with an objective piece of poo poo who has long overstayed his welcome. Gimme some better terms here.

I know it's emotionally satisfying to pretend that the people doing horrible things are all diaper-wearing morons, but he is clearing achieving his objectives here. He's getting all the right people angry at him, he's getting to dominate a news cycle (literally days after a big primary for his party), and he's in no danger of suffering any actual political consequences.

Docjowles posted:

I can’t imagine Trump putting someone who requires a wheelchair on the ticket. He’s just going to be the latest moron prostrating himself only to be called a slur on TRUTH

Yeah, there's basically no way he'll get the VP nod. But this does buttress his rep with the Trump wing of the party. There are exactly two other figures in statewide Texas politics who would have any chance running against Abbott in the Republican primary (right-wing radio host turned Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, and the literal indicted criminal who is also somehow our Attorney General, Ken Paxton), and stunts like this make it harder for him to be challenged from the right.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

TulliusCicero posted:

that article is from 5 months ago, the GOP got clocked in an off year election already

I think the GOP has done some new and exciting ways of loving up since then

Seriously why do people in this thread just act like the GOP hasn't eaten poo poo repeatedly at the polls since 2018?
Here's a more recent poll (from this article) that shows that voters specifically trust Trump more than Biden on immigration:

I'm not trying to be a doomer or suggest that this stunt is going to make Trump win in November, I'm just trying to make the point that in this specific instance it'd be a dumb idea for Biden to take the bait. If he ignores it or deals with it quietly then it probably won't have any effect on anything.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

LanceHunter posted:

I know it's emotionally satisfying to pretend that the people doing horrible things are all diaper-wearing morons, but he is clearing achieving his objectives here. He's getting all the right people angry at him, he's getting to dominate a news cycle (literally days after a big primary for his party), and he's in no danger of suffering any actual political consequences.

The dude is in a wheelchair, he is already comfortably diapered and insulated as you say. He is no threat to anyone, and you should bully him until he is.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Docjowles posted:

to be fair to trump he won't call Abbott a slur, he'll make a wild hand motion that is the visual representation of a slur for people who use wheelchairs that hasn't been invented yet

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

instead of fretting about whatever the gently caress goes on in a state i don't live in, i just double checked my voter registration and signed up for my absentee ballot.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dell_Zincht posted:

Judge Kaplan will have seen that photo of Habba, right?

It made international news and this is a huge court case, there is absolutely no way someone hasn't brought it to their attention.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is it a faux pas or a crime for a lawyer to lie to a judge like that?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

And since I'm on a Texas politics posting-spree, let me just say that it is absolutely wild and terribly demoralizing watching how our state got so weirdly anti-immigrant over the last 20 years. Texas, like most border states, was pretty chill about immigrants since at least the later half of the 20th century. (Hell, the joke used to be that Texas would gladly allow unlimited immigration from Mexico in exchange for a strong border that would keep out people trying to move here from California.) Even conservatives realized that immigrants were a pretty vital part of our economy and that we have a lot of strong ties South of the border. I don't know a single person whose family has been in this state for 3 or more generations who doesn't have a few folks from either Mexico or Central America in their family tree.

And like I said, even the Republicans in Texas recognized this. George W. Bush fought his party in a failed attempt to try and create a path to citizenship for people already in the country along with a temporary worker program that would have effectively legalized damned near everyone who wanted to come over to work. Rick Perry's got boo'd at the GOP primary debates over the law in Texas that gave in-state tuition to college students who had been living in the state but didn't have legal status. This was his exact quote: “We were clearly sending a message to young people that, regardless of what the sound of their last name is, that we believe in you. We are going to allow you to be contributing members of the state of Texas and not be a drain on the system.”

And the audience (in loving Florida) booed him. Loudly.

I think that was when things stated to change. A lot of anti-immigrant sentiment from elsewhere in the country managed to creep into Texas politics. Then Trump came on the scene and just kicked all that into loving overdrive. The sentiment around immigration in this state, at least among elected Republicans, is absolutely unrecognizable now.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 25, 2024

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Great to hear that Kari Lake, noted Trump ball-gargler, is standing up against corruption and dishonesty in politics.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Cool cool cool

Civil War then

Cool cool cool

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Raged posted:

Cool cool cool

Civil War then

Cool cool cool

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This has happened before. The president just nationalized the guard and we didn't have civil war.

True they want Biden to do this because they can go scream crying to the Fox News Cinematic Universe.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Raged posted:

Cool cool cool

Civil War then

Cool cool cool

lol

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This has happened before. The president just nationalized the guard and we didn't have civil war.

True they want Biden to do this because they can go scream crying to the Fox News Cinematic Universe.

Yeah, if Biden does nothing "He's weak and pathetic and not a strong leader!" and if he does deal with it "He's an out-of-control dictator!"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

Yeah, if Biden does nothing "He's weak and pathetic and not a strong leader!" and if he does deal with it "He's an out-of-control dictator!"

What if he just does it for one day?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Escape From Noise posted:

What if he just does it for one day?

What if he does it "in Minecraft"?

Check and mate

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Docjowles posted:

Trump wants a VP he can push around

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Trump wants a VP he can push around

Don Jr. confirmed?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

BigglesSWE posted:

Don Jr. confirmed?

Pence has a solid record of allowing himself to get pushed around by trumbo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I said come in! posted:

How much of the southern border situation is even actually true? I just take everything from Republicans with a healthy dose of salt. Assume almost all of it is exaggerated.

Yeah this is why I was calling out the "six million" claim yesterday. Like I mean come on, you're talking a Los Angeles size city moving into the US over the past three years? This doesn't even pass the sniff test and nobody's pushing back on it. I'd thought the immigration numbers were on the order of like 40K/year

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

On CNN's front page for a while earlier:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/drvolts/status/1750198948948795402?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

:allears:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Data Graham posted:

This doesn't even pass the sniff test

:sniff:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Fly commercial? Like an animal?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Yeah this is why I was calling out the "six million" claim yesterday. Like I mean come on, you're talking a Los Angeles size city moving into the US over the past three years? This doesn't even pass the sniff test and nobody's pushing back on it. I'd thought the immigration numbers were on the order of like 40K/year
Six million is almost certainly bullshit but lol 40k isn't even the same order of magnitude

I would only fly private too if I could, tbh.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Data Graham posted:

But that'll be the number chuds throw out from now on

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

If I had the money to fly private I’d settle for Business/1st Class, to show everyone how down to Earth I am!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mobby_6kl posted:

Way to announce that you'd be a piece of poo poo if you weren't too poor, I guess

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, but you'd be sharing that plane with Ron Desantis.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

A guest on a recent Chapo episode mentioned a story where apparently on a flight to Israel, Ron just sat staring straight ahead, no screen no headphones saying nothing the whole time, like Puddy from Seinfeld

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Way to announce that you'd be a piece of poo poo if you weren't too poor, I guess
Yeah absolutely would be :colbert:

OK maybe not at this cost :barf:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
lol she's going to leave him 100%

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think she will run for governor

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think she will run for governor

Publicly humiliate meatball Ron and take his job

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is this the year Texas goes blue? Is Beto running for something again?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

With races like Beto O'Rourke is in them, you can't lose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

No and no