Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Okuteru posted:

Doesn't Tencent have partial ownership of reddit?

5% isn't exactly "do what we want or you're all fired" ownership.

Also I really feel like while Tencent may be a compliant party stooge in China, they are money > else in the rest of the world and are way less censorious than people on the internet blame them for. Like, plenty of companies that aren't owned by Tencent will kowtow to China's hurt feelings to keep access to their market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Tencent is a full on arm of the CCP tbh

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

mobby_6kl posted:

They should crack down on it before it's too late

You can tear my copy of Fresh Fruits from my cold dead hands

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
It's pretty funny that I can pop in to this thread at random intervals, post "You have hurt the feelings of the Chinese People!" and it's always relevant

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This is killing

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The feelings of the chinese people must be protected at all costs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

This is killing

Much like Chinas stock market

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone must buy A-shares to save the economy

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Coolguye posted:

Tencent is a full on arm of the CCP tbh

Isn’t it being significantly undercut by CCP policy though? Stuff like “kids are only allowed to play one hour a day”

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

thetoughestbean posted:

Isn’t it being significantly undercut by CCP policy though? Stuff like “kids are only allowed to play one hour a day”

never stopped them before

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It's not a single monolithic interest, as the gaming regulation dustup indicates.

The clearest party corporate capture is probably China Tobacco, though: where the modernizing, centralizing, paternalistic tendency of the party runs right up against number-go-up and loses.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The government is also a massive entity that is poorly run and left hand not knowing what the right is doing stuff happens constantly. Different segments of the government working at cross-purposes is normal.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

they rolled that back within 7 days precisely because it was undercutting tencent (and a nontrivial amount of the rest of the stock market)

the fact that they did it at all was flat out "left arm doesn't know what the right is doing"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not a recent, or indeed relevant picture.

But Black Cat Detective/Mr Black rules!

Ans so should be featured here more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lol hey since we were just talking about tencent

https://cybernews.com/security/billions-passwords-credentials-leaked-mother-of-all-breaches/

this is a massive breach and affects pretty much every major brand on the planet, but tencent and weibo were hit about as hard as the next 10 brands COMBINED. 2 billion user records between the two of them.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Coolguye posted:

https://cybernews.com/security/billions-passwords-credentials-leaked-mother-of-all-breaches/

this is a massive breach and affects pretty much every major brand on the planet, but tencent and weibo were hit about as hard as the next 10 brands COMBINED. 2 billion user records between the two of them.

Again?

Isn't this like the 2nd "largest leak of personal data ever" made of primarily Chinese people's data in... I wanna say a year and a half?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Coolguye posted:

If you read the article it's just a whole bunch of old leaks that have been compiled and nicely organized. There is nothing new here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Random imgur video of a two models wearing traditional clothes in a modern street and they look amazing

https://i.imgur.com/QWlRJ8t.mp4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The world would be a lot cooler if more cultures kept their traditional clothes instead of western stuff becoming so universal.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Work in a Mumbai office briefly and you'll see plenty of saris, as completely unremarkable, normalized day-to-day wear

Headgear is out of fashion for the same reason westerners stopped wearing hats to work, though. Outside of Muslim women.

As is elaborate clothing on men of any kind, but hey, you're not wearing your traditional culture of breeches and a waistcoat either

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Klyith posted:

If you read the article it's just a whole bunch of old leaks that have been compiled and nicely organized. There is nothing new here.

ah poo poo, good call, ty

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

The world would be a lot cooler if more cultures kept their traditional clothes instead of western stuff becoming so universal.

As long as it doesn't come with all the fascism wrapped up in it.

I loving love traditional stuff from basically everywhere but it feels like every time I talk to someone into it eventually they start dropping a bunch of fascism into the conversation and weird race stuff.

Same with my Roman history hobby, same with my ancient Egypt hobby, all my hobbies are ruined by people with bad politics.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Random imgur video of a two models wearing traditional clothes in a modern street and they look amazing

silly hat competition has new contenders

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrainDance posted:

As long as it doesn't come with all the fascism wrapped up in it.

I loving love traditional stuff from basically everywhere but it feels like every time I talk to someone into it eventually they start dropping a bunch of fascism into the conversation and weird race stuff.

Same with my Roman history hobby, same with my ancient Egypt hobby, all my hobbies are ruined by people with bad politics.

They were never ruined. You just live in fear of what people who don't know you think of you.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

ninjoatse.cx posted:

silly hat competition has new contenders

how I feel when reading martial arts comics featuring characters in confucian court official garb

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ronya posted:

high youth unemployment in Lost Decade Japan led to an explosion in street fashion and artistic culture

I suspect China may see a different evolution: it would slap down an assertive fashion culture well before it could coalesce into forming commercial entities in the way 1990s Japan yielded A Bathing Ape (say)

i would be more excited for all the kids saying gently caress it and starting rock bands, but less so now that the party realized the rock scene existed and started trying to co-opt it to serve as acceptable patriotic entertainment

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They were never ruined. You just live in fear of what people who don't know you think of you.

Nah I just dont wanna interact with fascists any more than I have to

all my hobbies are social things, and if like 70% of the other people into the stuff you're into are fascists then you end up talking to fascists

For real though, the "traditional clothes" thing in China and a lot of places, theres a lot of freaks who latch onto that cuz of the whole nationalism and "reverence for anything traditional" thing

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 25, 2024

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think it's fairly safe to assume that anyone who is *really* into Roman culture, especially imperial Roman stuff, is probably just a Nazi basically

You might not be a cop, but you're wearing a cop's uniform, etc.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

The greatest fashion crime by Croatians is pushing neckties into global consciousness, I think about them with hatred every time I have to wear one of those wretched things.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

At a wedding in india me and our sizeable group of foreigners all made efforts to get appropriate saris, kurtas and generally traditional outfits.

Turned out that like 80% of dudes were wearing western style suits, and we were the outliers. People loved it tho and it's still completely normal to wear indian formal stuff, but I was surprised how ubiquitous western formal wear has become. The indian stuff looks badass, too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The Indian women I work with in Thailand regularly wear traditional clothes, but the men are just in shirt and tie.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 25, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Indian women I work with I in Thailand regularly wear traditional clothes, but the men are just in shirt and tie.

Lots of zoom meetings I assume?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
They have pants on too I assume.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Indian women I work with in Thailand regularly wear traditional clothes, but the men are just in shirt and tie.

Lungis rule! My dad wears his around the house all the time.

Loose and breezy enough for an Australian summer, yet still allows enough freedom of movement to play backyard cricket.

Although I will agree with the "if you are fully into the 'traditional clothes' thing, you are probably leaning conservative and right wing.

To keep chat Indian. Modi recently tried to curry favour with your Hindu supremacist South Indian types by wearing a Vershdi, (A formal fancy pants lungi, that I and my brother have worn for weddings etc.), but because it wasn't ironed right, and the creases weren't crisp enough, your nutjob traditionalist crowd didn't bite.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Megillah Gorilla posted:

i mean, let's be real, they'd look good in anything and they'd be getting looks just for being two heads taller than everyone else

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

also idk if this is the case with those particular clothes but in some cases "traditional clothing" is not only beloved by fascists, but made up by them too with only the most tenuous connection to anything ever actually worn by anyone

lederhosen & the ten-gallon hat are the two i know off the top of my head but i know there's more

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Cactus Ghost posted:

also idk if this is the case with those particular clothes but in some cases "traditional clothing" is not only beloved by fascists, but made up by them too with only the most tenuous connection to anything ever actually worn by anyone

lederhosen & the ten-gallon hat are the two i know off the top of my head but i know there's more

I was at Oktoberfest last year and like half of the local population and 1/5th of the million tourists there were wearing lederhosen, so it paints a pretty grim situation about fascism in modern day Munchen.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

yeah lol lederhose are super common in the alpine regions of germany and austria

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Toxic Mental posted:

I think it's fairly safe to assume that anyone who is *really* into Roman culture, especially imperial Roman stuff, is probably just a Nazi basically

You might not be a cop, but you're wearing a cop's uniform, etc.

"Into" like "I think we should model our society after ancient Rome"? Yeah.

"Into" like being into history and being interested in the culture and politics of ancient Rome? Nah gently caress off. Plenty of historians will acknowledge the terrible poo poo Rome did, both to their enemies and to their own people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

BrigadierSensible posted:

To keep chat Indian. Modi recently tried to curry favour
ahh I get it