Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Having established that his characters lives in segregated neighborhoods it's time to imply that a literal lynch mob can show up at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 21, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

riderchop posted:

I spent a couple of years as a tram conductor, and random people will actually just tell you the weirdest poo poo. It did make the work day go by faster, so I didn't really mind as long as they weren't racist or trying to get me to join their weird sect.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

riderchop posted:

It actually stands out as unusual in Baldur's Gate 3 that, once you get to the city, there are a bunch of NPCs standing around in the streets having conversations and the vast majority of them have no interest in talking to you or giving you any tasks or letting you help them solve their problems. It's actually kind of annoying how much time you can waste trying to start quests with NPCs who only exist to add detail and colour to the world.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Untranslatable Fingerpori

So yeah.

In Finnish knee is "polvi". The word for generation is "sukupolvi", literally family/ancestry knee. The etymology of the word is unknown, but some linguists believe that "polvi" was used to indicate bends, corners, turns etc, and the knee is the leg's turning point. A generational shift is also considered a shift or turn of some kind, so I guess it makes some amount of sense.

In any case, in common language it is common to say that someone is "toisen polven" (second generation, but literally second knee's) something, and the word for second, "toinen" is also the word for another or other. So this orthopedist is either a second generation surgeon, or the orthopedist for the other knee.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 25, 2024

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Tiggum posted:

It actually stands out as unusual in Baldur's Gate 3 that, once you get to the city, there are a bunch of NPCs standing around in the streets having conversations and the vast majority of them have no interest in talking to you or giving you any tasks or letting you help them solve their problems. It's actually kind of annoying how much time you can waste trying to start quests with NPCs who only exist to add detail and colour to the world.

I’ve actively been avoiding those conversations all this time because I was afraid that they would add yet more quests to an ever-growing checklist. Now I’m relieved to hear that’s not true.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Samovar posted:

Eesh, that Valiant.

Yeah the combination of slave buying and ~shifty traders~ is a bit much.

CommonShore posted:

When I saw the art I thought this was his perfidious Greek friend from decades of strips ago. Slith? That guy ruled.

I thought of Slith immediately too. It's a very similar character design.

Giant Ethicist posted:

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

Thanks so much for posting this. :)

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 04, 1961)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

Bardiche Hotel was great, and I hope Q-Rais is far form done making comics in general.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Forgot to post Buni yesterday so here it is.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/24/04

Brenda Starr 7/3-5/52

As far as I can determine, estate taxes in 1952 were applied to any estate of over $10 million, and were 77% of the amount over $10M.

Smokey Stover 5/24/59

Everyday Movies 3/6/37

"I'm so mad -- I wish that lollipop I've just eaten had been green instead of red."

That's a 45-year-old toddler.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/31/42 - 1/2/43

Oh, laaaaaaaame.

YES YES HIPPY'S BACK YOU'RE FORGIVEN STAMM

Closer Than We Think! 5/24/59

Bonus Ad! Uh, what sauce?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That was a very quick and tidy progression in Valiant! The trouble is in the following strips then.

This new storyline of Phantom has been written, let alone drawn, with all the seriousness of a parody. Just one big piss-take. "Hahaha, I sure was stupid!" "You sure were stupid, honey!" I... can't believe I already miss the Mozz storyline. :v:

I'm gonna be really surprised if Sam doesn't get shot in L'il Abner. This guy puts in more work to spread misery than some serial killers.

Selachian posted:

:allears: Always bet on Stamm.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(11/5/1993)

(11/6/1993)

Ziggy

(7/31/1971)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Having established that his characters lives in segregated neighborhoods it's time to imply that a literal lynch mob can show up at any time.

we know this is coming. or at least a protest/riot.

"no predators around our kids!" (which loving makes sense)
"rabbits for rabbiton only!"

"WAIT. RUDY IS AN EASTER RABBIT." *wild cheers and shock from the assembled rabbit protesters*

One of us, one of us!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, May 24-27, 1984
Tomorrow: A NUDE THORN

Just kidding!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

For anyone who wants to relive Hippy's first appearance, here's a link.

She's incredible, thank you Stamm.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 7/3-5/52

I knew this was going to happen and I hate it. A lot.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Nobody can argue with the mental image of Miss Bliss on a tricycle.

Born 21 Years Too Soon

Rose is Rose

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Gotta say it before I forget it for the tenth time: thanks for posting Cul De Sac again! It's a touch of joy every day. :3:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pompeii existed for centuries before it was destroyed and that guy looks pretty old, so unless this was around ~50 to 70 CE, he's probably making a good move.

(Pompeii was destroyed in 79 CE IIRC)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad! Uh, what sauce?

Could be worse

https://www.alowafoods.com/products/congolese-pili-pili-sauce

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Well, that seems to be a genuine Congolese recipe. Back in the 1950s, I'm pretty sure "Stewart's Hot Congo Sauce" would be about as spicy as a single unseeded jalapeño stirred into a gallon of vegetable oil.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Yeah the combination of slave buying and ~shifty traders~ is a bit much.

I thought of Slith immediately too. It's a very similar character design.

Thanks so much for posting this. :)

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 04, 1961)

Noooooo let them kiss.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I was like "drat"

Doomykins posted:

Gotta say it before I forget it for the tenth time: thanks for posting Cul De Sac again! It's a touch of joy every day. :3:

Once I started inflicting Rose is Rose on the thread, I figured I should expand my GoComics offerings. Seeing Cul de Sac in the list was a no-brainer. The FoxTrot reruns appealed to me because they're currently in 2003, which was right after I fell off of if and all newspaper comics (I'd just started college, and I was only reading the campus newspaper on a regular basis.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like Vultan's speech style.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Bluebeard Affair

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I hate our society

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bless you, Miss. Nothing has ever made me give less of a gently caress in my entire life than discussion about how good the company is doing. If this old fart wants people to have the brand loyalty he used to then maybe corporations shouldn't be actively antagonizing society and their employees. :v:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"What happened to good old fashioned loyalty to your workplace?"

They don't pay me enough for it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(July 28, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 27, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 26, 1912)

Rubaiat
Omar Khayyam

Gasoline Alley(September 15, 1919)

Us Boys(November 22, 1911)

The Gumps(February 22, 1917)

Krazy Kat(November 19, 1913)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Getting into a bit more detail with the thread-triggering formula incident here.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

School-shooting funnies.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

who's guest-writing on Dustin

Yvonmukluk