Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol looks like HP is taking the next logical step, and turning printing itself into a subscription service.

HP stands high on my list of a company whose products I used to trust implicitly, and then over the years, have now come to the point where I don't trust anything they do and will go out of my way to avoid their products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

lol looks like HP is taking the next logical step, and turning printing itself into a subscription service.

HP stands high on my list of a company whose products I used to trust implicitly, and then over the years, have now come to the point where I don't trust anything they do and will go out of my way to avoid their products.

I don't think there's any corporation that has as large of a canyon separating the quality of their consumer vs industrial offerings as HP.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
From a friend

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Aramis posted:

I don't think there's any corporation that has as large of a canyon separating the quality of their consumer vs industrial offerings as HP.
IDK their industrial offerings blow chunks too

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aramis posted:

Worth noting that HP and HPE are two very separate and very different companies at this point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The state is printers is very sad coupled with the trend for companies to stop mailing you anything

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I dunno, I'm pretty happy with my brother laser other than when it decides to freak out my afci breaker.

HP inc even has weird canyons between some of their business products. Their probooks are as low quality as the cheapest acer you can find at bestbuy but their elite book and z series are surprisingly good.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
We have a decade-old consumer grade Brother laser printer that’s still alive and kicking.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

i print at my local library

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

(Watching Fargo on Hulu) I can't get this to leave the screen. There's a countdown to the next episode and I can't make this leave. I maximize the screen, refresh the screen, nothing. Nothing will make this dumb countdown go away. There is a ^ next to this, but it just causes the video to pause so I can look at the cast and poo poo. Once the show resumes this sticks around in the lower-right corner.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Duck and Cover posted:

It's okay the technology doesn't bite, yet.

:): "of the several means available to use my pocket computer to communicate by radio with my local pizza place, the one that is slowest and involved the most steps is my least favorite"

:downs: "look at this technophobe haha keep yelling at the cloud grandpa"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I just tried to look up some very common legal information and the first few search result pages were littered with grotesque ChatGPT generated websites made by a man from Cameroon, who pretends to be three middle aged European stockphoto models. The articles are 70% empty filler with no information content and ~10% of the information that is there is blatantly false(sometimes even contradicting things in the previous sentence) and could get you in trouble with your employer or even get you fired if you acted on it.

I weep for the next generation, for they will never know the wonders of a functioning internet. They will have to go to the library to get information like cave people.

e: the bizarre stock photos on that page still haunt me. I've seen a creepy chemotherapy child in a hospital garment with a prop sword and shield stare at me. I only hope it was AI generated or a stock photo that was heavily digitally altered, and not a real chemotherapy patient.

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 25, 2024

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

credburn posted:

(Watching Fargo on Hulu) I can't get this to leave the screen. There's a countdown to the next episode and I can't make this leave. I maximize the screen, refresh the screen, nothing. Nothing will make this dumb countdown go away. There is a ^ next to this, but it just causes the video to pause so I can look at the cast and poo poo. Once the show resumes this sticks around in the lower-right corner.

Piracy.

Piracy?

PIRACY.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

credburn posted:

subtitles are mistimed on hulu by several seconds and when i googled to try to solve this problem reddit pretty much indicated it's been like that for years and none of the fixes actually work

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
speaking of hulu subtitles dont work half the time or the tracking is off. at least with pirated stuff you can adjust that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m sure the internet works in other parts of the world. This is jsut our fate

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

I blame that net neutrality guy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

Not really, no

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
shut it all down

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Philthy posted:

shut it all down

Until we figure out what the hell is going on

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

shut it all down

Non ironically disconnect Russia from the https://www.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A world with no Internet, wow

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A world with no Internet, wow

Dare we even dream?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Not far enough. Back to the trees my simian friends

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Should've never stepped out of the oceans.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
In hindsight the whole organic chemistry thing was a huge mistake

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
What even is the point of matter?

It just learns to poo poo post

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

what is mind? no matter.

what is matter? never mind.

hehehehe

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Outpost22 posted:

Should've never stepped out of the oceans.

The whales went back. Whales evolved on land and then slowly turned themselves into ocean creatures. Smart whales

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

if you search for images of "lenin drinking coffee" or "hitler drinking coffee," more than half the results are ai generated. this wasn't the case in the past.

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Blue Moonlight posted:

We have a decade-old consumer grade Brother laser printer that’s still alive and kicking.

Brother is generally regarded as the best company to buy consumer grade printers from. They aren't great enough that I'd ever rave about them but once set up they tend to be reliable which is more than you can say about pretty much every other manufacturer.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I fear it may not be long until sites can take your google search and dynamically generate an article out of it somehow already SEO'd to the top of the list. Want to know how to capture lamball in Palworld? It's so easy to do in the game Palworld... [scroll down to read the rest of the article]

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Most Power Alex posted:

Brother is generally regarded as the best company to buy consumer grade printers from. They aren't great enough that I'd ever rave about them but once set up they tend to be reliable which is more than you can say about pretty much every other manufacturer.

they also are the best name in labelmakers, every job I've ever been that's had one, it's been a Brother.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

SettingSun posted:

I fear it may not be long until sites can take your google search and dynamically generate an article out of it somehow already SEO'd to the top of the list. Want to know how to capture lamball in Palworld? It's so easy to do in the game Palworld... [scroll down to read the rest of the article]

There's also a nifty Firefox add-on that blocks Google's ad tracking all over the internet. Enshittification is definitely at an all time peak, but there are still lots of nerds out there fighting the good fight.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Modal Auxiliary posted:

There's also a nifty Firefox add-on that blocks Google's ad tracking all over the internet. Enshittification is definitely at an all time peak, but there are still lots of nerds out there fighting the good fight.

Problem is, if 90% of the population doesn't fight, then nobody is going to make anything for the 10% who do, it won't be worthwhile.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Most Power Alex posted:

I searched my Amazon history to figure out when I purchased my 2170 laser printer. Thanksgiving 2009!
I don't print a whole lot but it's still plugging along great and prints fine when I need it. The drivers have worked ok back then all the way to now on windows 10, multiple PCs, Android phones, and a Mac.

I don't think I have any other electric appliance that has lasted this long tbh

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Most Power Alex posted:

I thought Brother was kept in business entirely by being the sole manufacturer of prison typewriters.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

credburn posted:

I thought Brother was kept in business entirely by being the sole manufacturer of prison typewriters.

Well I haven't bought anything from them in over 14 years!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If my house burns down the only thing I'm saving is my Brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If my house burns down the only thing I'm saving is my Brother

It's not too heavy, it's my brother :cry:

-that printer carrying goon, probably