Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Watched Purge Election Year and had to look up when it came out. 2016 lol.

In this movie, they capture the white supremacist fascist running for president (or is President currently? unclear) and the Hillary analogue talks a black revolutionary out of killing him because they gotta beat him in the election.

If this movie came out after 2016 it would be very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh man if only the groundwork could be laid for stuff that has no reason not to happen yesterday

that would be so great

also unironically yes to the first tweet

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

B-b-b-but ELECTABILITY!!!! :qqsay:

Nikki Haley's pitch is that she can beat Joe Biden. But now that she's lost — twice — voters are signaling they aren't concerned about electability as much as a candidate that shares their opinions.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/25/1226297455/nikki-haley-donald-trump-joe-biden-electable-shared-values

drat, you think people might actually vote for Trump? hosed up if true

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I loving love when groundwork is laid for stuff that I'm assured will happen someday! Anyway Hillary lost an election 8 years ago and that's why Joe Biden actively campaigns against stuff I want to happen. This is my fault somehow.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

just sitting here imagining how lovely all that groundwork would be which I could be enjoying right now if only I hadn't failed Hillary 8 years ago somehow! Don't bother me, I'm imagining the sweet, sweet groundwork

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

loquacius posted:

I loving love when groundwork is laid for stuff that I'm assured will happen someday! Anyway Hillary lost an election 8 years ago and that's why Joe Biden actively campaigns against stuff I want to happen. This is my fault somehow.

why did you choose to fail democracy it’s like taking the train if you can’t get to your destination jump on a train going nowhere near it

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Remember when Clinton made it so that immigration decisions were not subject to judicial review and that anyone ever caught illegally in the US was barred from even applying for a visa? No way republicans can call democrats soft on immigration after that

Remember when even minor interactions with the police, like traffic stops, required a check of immigration status of a person, leading to an all time record of deportations? No way republicans can call democrats soft on immigration after that

Remember when the Obama went to court to declare that it did not have to provide sanitary conditions to the children it was detaining? No way republicans can call democrats soft on immigration after that

Remember when Obama ramped up the "Consequence Delivery System" to brutalize immigrants so much they decide not to come? No way republicans can call democrats soft on immigration after that

Remember when Biden made it so that the border wall did not have to comply with a bunch of regulations? No way republicans can call democrats soft on immigration after that

Anyways, if only Biden makes it so immigration officials do not even have to wait for asylum decisions to start kicking people out, I am sure there is no way republicans can call democrats soft on immigration after that

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Even in their wildest hypothetical dreams they can only bring themselves to imagine Hillary Clinton achieving "groundwork" in 8 loving years

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Send in the tanks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the greatest presidents in history have, as we all know, primarily been known for laying groundwork for other people to actually do stuff

the stuff-doers are the forgotten ones

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Biden only loses his temper with young people confronting him for his lovely policies. A genocidal backstabbing theocrat gets kid gloves

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We just gotta let Biden move a liiiiiiiittle bit further right on every single issue, guys, then I swear to God you're gonna be loving drowning in groundwork

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

if you're mad about migrants getting caught in Saw (2004) traps or about Gaza getting leveled you're ruining the groundwork!!!!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

People gleefully voted for candidates who wrecked everything south of the border. Let every immigrant in, this is the price of empire.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
On the Israel front, this whole "Biden losing patience any day now" would be funnier if the Israelis hadn't already come out and said that Biden is doing this whole song and dance to buy them time to keep genociding.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Governor Abbott valiantly leading his Texan troops to victory against every conceivable enemy... except stairs.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

the greatest presidents in history have, as we all know, primarily been known for laying groundwork for other people to actually do stuff

the stuff-doers are the forgotten ones

It's literally MCU in real life. Just laying the groundwork for cool stuff that's never going to come.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1750507152643432833?s=20
https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1750507493396979936?s=20

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

why is she so stupid

it didn't have to be this way

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Didn't Biden also "duck military service"? I think the Bushes were the last presidents who were in any branch of the military and W was just in like the air national guard or something

(Also ducking military service is ftw)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
okay wait let's hear her out. i want to know more about this Biden/Trump bicycle race

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nichael posted:

It's literally MCU in real life. Just laying the groundwork for cool stuff that's never going to come.

the best part is that even the groundwork is mythical. Hillary Rodham Clinton was never going to lay any "groundwork" for policies she publicly denounced and made fun of people for wanting.

put them IN the ground maybe heyooooo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ceasefire got 1.2% of the Vote?
https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1750340740440314245

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The point of "groundwork" is that it (a) doesn't do anything, and (b) is entirely subjective. You can say literally anything is groundwork for anything else. For that to be the glorious utopia you're imagining if things had just gone your way eight loving years ago is just the saddest loving thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dodging the draft for vietnam was extremely ethical. it was also plain common sense, because who the gently caress wanted to go to vietnam?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lol at Jennifer Rubin writing GOP fanfiction

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://x.com/Starshipprogram/status/1750481124822806908?s=20

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Colin Powell was the third place winner of the 2016 election because of Democrat party.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1750520261231747566

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

dodging the draft for vietnam was extremely ethical. it was also plain common sense, because who the gently caress wanted to go to vietnam?

John McCain :patriot:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

shocked they were able to find 10 biden voters to poll

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loquacius posted:

Even in their wildest hypothetical dreams they can only bring themselves to imagine Hillary Clinton achieving "groundwork" in 8 loving years

Very West Wing brained, basically what Bartlet accomplished with 8 years and liberal writers

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

loquacius posted:

this is your brain on incrementalism. zeno's paradox but for politics. decades and decades spent on groundwork, raising awareness, building a movement, etc. for the sake of future groundwork, awareness raising, and movement building.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

has biden considered banning tiktok

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

doesnt mean too much unless followed up with "and do you think thats a good thing?"

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

the new generation realized troops are cowards who signed up to help afghan warlords gently caress kids in exchange for a free Bloomin' Onion™️ at Outback Steakhouse™️ and the commentariat is furious

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Wemus posted:

B-b-b-but ELECTABILITY!!!! :qqsay:

Nikki Haley's pitch is that she can beat Joe Biden. But now that she's lost — twice — voters are signaling they aren't concerned about electability as much as a candidate that shares their opinions.

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/25/1226297455/nikki-haley-donald-trump-joe-biden-electable-shared-values

She’s not electable if you don’t vote for her.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Best Friends posted:

It sucks that Joe Biden keeps being forced to take positions contrary to what I know he really wants. It’s also an incredible coincidence that these positions all align with the things he espoused and supported his entire very long political career. But in my heart I know the real Joe, and he’s like, super left wing. Like in the onion!

Have you considered that biden doesn't have a position and hasn't done anything at all because he's mentally incompetent with advanced dementia? It's the Clint Eastwood yelling at an empty chair except it's republicans unilaterally creating and escalating the issue.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

Idk what'd be funnier: Stewart pulling a Chappelle/Seinfeld when he figures out nobody under 30 cares about him or Stewart saying something Mildly Good and the PMC yeeting him back into the void

docbeard posted:

Both happening simultaneously would be the funniest option and is probably the most likely one.

The funniest thing would involve some sort of rematch or other interaction with Tucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Raccooon posted:

Watched Purge Election Year and had to look up when it came out. 2016 lol.

In this movie, they capture the white supremacist fascist running for president (or is President currently? unclear) and the Hillary analogue talks a black revolutionary out of killing him because they gotta beat him in the election.

If this movie came out after 2016 it would be very different.

That movie ends with Hillary winning and then newscasters saying the Purge isn’t ending and the sound of tanks approaching the White House.