Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

doomfunk posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

? It's pretty obvious that a change is neccesary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What I do think is interesting about MS owning Minecraft is they've let the Java version continue to exist instead of forcing everyone into their monetized version of the game like a lot of other tech businesses would have done

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Doomykins posted:

lol at "people with no clue gonna keep discussing things dumbly", don't believe your lying eyes, gamers are always wrong

You don't need to be Rod himself to sit down to D4 and think maybe... maybe the defining borrowed power feature of the new season, the lil spider, maybe he should be at least as strong as say a single Necromancer skeleton. You know, as a treat.

I don't wish for people to get fired but I am curious who said "hmm yes mondo cool, working as intended" and bungled something that was solved in Diablo 3, and 2, or for example 20+ years ago with WoW Hunter design, where they nailed "and your companion auto-attacks for significant damage and uses some abilities automatically to add to that."

Yeah we don't have the actual knowledge that's why we have a discussion thread to speculate for kicks. Also surprise, the feature that encourages people to return to Diablo 4 is going to reignite those discussions about Diablo 4.

significant shout out to 'lets base our other season defining new content on the single most hated part of path path of exile' too. poe players are absolutely up in arms over having to do [the trap gauntlet] Lab 4 times, blizz went and made an entire loving season out of. how does that even happen?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PoE's had some bad seasons, too, but there's a built-in buffer of the entire rest of the game to mess with and a trade system that lets you get what you want out of the season mechanics without actually having to play stuff you don't enjoy. The biggest complaints come from people who've spent 10k hours in PoE and look forward to the season mechanics as the only new thing left for them to learn but that's a tiny fraction of the playerbase.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just want to know if the person who came up with the controller setup (the best thing about d4 and the best in the arpg genre) got laid off. if they were then all hope is lost

Tiny Timbs posted:

PoE's had some bad seasons, too, but there's a built-in buffer of the entire rest of the game to mess with and a trade system that lets you get what you want out of the season mechanics without actually having to play stuff you don't enjoy. The biggest complaints come from people who've spent 10k hours in PoE and look forward to the season mechanics as the only new thing left for them to learn but that's a tiny fraction of the playerbase.

yeah there were some poe leagues I didn't play the league content at all

I'll probably play this d4 season in a couple weeks when they release the patch that makes it less bad (a policy I've adopted for all seasonal games), but that is only because I haven't played all the classes yet. That'll only work a few more times

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 25, 2024

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

flashman posted:

? It's pretty obvious that a change is neccesary

"I hope that d4 workers got laid off because my enjoyment is more important than their livelihood"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I'm playing the campaign again on HC and the game itself is fine, the season just sucks poo poo.

I kinda disagree with this, the base game of D4 is really loving bland. the skill tree serves no purpose when you have 2 options for each skill, the only endgame that exists is nightmare dungeons, and the itemization is probably the worst out of the current arpgs. theres proabbly more thats just off the top of my head.

edit: minions suck rear end too which is the greatest crime of all. and lol at basing a selling point of this season on a minion with their current issues, at least everyone gets a taste of necro/druid pets

edit:

Tiny Timbs posted:

yeah im taking a poe break the last 2 seasons but base game poe is the best its ever been right now, so even without seasons the game is hella good if its your jam. I dont think D4 has that to fall back on so a real poo poo season makes the main games shortcomings even more obvious

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 25, 2024

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tiny Timbs posted:

What I do think is interesting about MS owning Minecraft is they've let the Java version continue to exist instead of forcing everyone into their monetized version of the game like a lot of other tech businesses would have done

Yes they actually made the correct decision, for publicly traded companies, this too often seems difficult. When they bought Mojang they did get rid of the homophobic guy, can't remember his name, and he was running the studio. So getting rid of a sitting president is certainly something they'd do. Very curious as to what their vision is. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jeff Fatwood posted:

"I hope that d4 workers got laid off because my enjoyment is more important than their livelihood"

The layoffs are done dude I'd prefer if the people making the game lovely were the ones that went?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

MJBuddy posted:

A nice recent move is that Blizzard is structurally looking like it's being disentangled from Activision and reporting directly to Phil Spencer in short term. The head of Blizzard is an ex-Xbox exec who worked with him before.

Still going to take time for that to shake out. Meaningful changes to their seasonal cycle could take 2-4 seasons, realistically.

Lol gently caress me for this ill timed post.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

flashman posted:

The layoffs are done dude I'd prefer if the people making the game lovely were the ones that went?

I'm just explaining to you what you said since you don't seem to understand yourself. Perhaps read the thread and stop hoping that people lost their livelihoods over a game.

e. fixed to past tense

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 25, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
maybe microsoft bought blizz so they could revive rock 'n roll racing

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What is the thought process behind people who die 10 times to one boss fight? Do they approach the entire game with a facetank or die attitude? I understand laziness if you just don't want to move out of AOE but why not just AFK after you're dead rather than rack up a repair bill?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I'm just explaining to you what you said since you don't seem to understand yourself. Perhaps read the thread and stop hoping that people lost their livelihoods over a game.

e. fixed to past tense

I understand what I said, out of the 1900 announced layoffs I hope that there is a goodly quantity of those making the lovely product, rather than people working on potentially good new IPs or solid previous ones like d3.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bamhand posted:

What is the thought process behind people who die 10 times to one boss fight? Do they approach the entire game with a facetank or die attitude? I understand laziness if you just don't want to move out of AOE but why not just AFK after you're dead rather than rack up a repair bill?

probably think you need to be alive to get credit

they could explain that in a loading screen tip but that would encourage dishonorable behavior

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

can't be the underleveled leech going AFK for an entire world boss fight if your teammates keep rezzing you

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I'm still so absolutely confused as to why the Gauntlet didn't launch with the season. It was the one, singular thing they were hyping about S3. "Hey, we're finally making an endgame!" And then it's not even going to come out until, probably, most people have burnt out of the season.

Special mention goes to my second favourite thing, the seasonal town that inexplicably requires extra effort to be able to teleport out of.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

flashman posted:

I hope lots of people who worked on d4 were in the layoffs

And when you eventually get laid off, maybe you'll finally have some time to go touch grass, and stop being unnecessarily hostile for no reason.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Ybarra being out is good news, sucks that other people were let go. Microsoft seems to really, really want to aquire game studios putting out very mid content.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't think they play it in a normal way. Or at the very least in the same way we do.

The devs at Destiny 2 recently said they are all encouraged to take time out of their day to play the game with colleagues, which is great if you work in a building where everyone knows Destiny, (or in this case Diablo).

The risk is when they build the assumption that everyone plays that way into the game. I have no doubt that gathering 3 or so colleagues and smashing your way through an NMD or six over your lunch is great fun. But given that there's no matchmaking, barely a clan system and grouping up is handled through 3rd party apps like discord, that's not a playstyle that the end user really experiences.

And with Blizz - if they also do this - it means devs are already deeply immersed in all of the new seasonal mechanics and have had months to not only get used to them but also directly provide feedback. Being able to play with guaranteed experts who know what they're doing and have a real-world incentive not to be an rear end in a top hat to you is a wildy different experience to that of most people.

I feel like this explains a hell of a lot of bad decisions in multiplayer games, the idea that the game the devs experience and the game the player experiences are two very different things.
This is absolutely a thing that happpens. Rarely do teams look for outside feedback, and when they do they usually turn to streamers, content creators and other high-end players. Fresh eyes and feedback from normal players can really help a team see what the playerbase majority is looking for in your game.

You can also have the issue where there's a severe lack of "here's what our game is, here's what we want players to do." Looks like D4 is just trying anything it can because there's no one saying "no" or no one looking close enough at the upcoming content. You need a unified understanding of what you want players to experience and guide development with that idea in mind. You don't need a singular "Vision" but a broad design guiderail that says "Players want to kill monsters and get fun stuff; does standing in a corner waiting for traps to expire make sense for this game, and the monsters you fight also give no loot, which I'm sure they will enjoy, maybe?" would probably be helpful to the D4 team.

this can also happen if you're afraid to tell your boss their great idea sucks

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 25, 2024

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

It sold a lot of initial copies but the revenue prospects for additional seasons and expansion packs look dim atm

From what I can tell

It's really weird they aren't selling skill mtx. So many of the skills are super boring.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

TheAgent posted:

This is absolutely a thing that happpens. Rarely do teams look for outside feedback, and when they do they usually turn to streamers, content creators and other high-end players. Fresh eyes and feedback from normal players can really help a team see what the playerbase majority is looking for in your game.

The streamers think it's bad too

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

External Organs posted:

It's really weird they aren't selling skill mtx. So many of the skills are super boring.

whoa whoa whoa slow down buddy, give the players a couple more years to adjust to armor mtx

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

bio347 posted:

I'm still so absolutely confused as to why the Gauntlet didn't launch with the season. It was the one, singular thing they were hyping about S3. "Hey, we're finally making an endgame!" And then it's not even going to come out until, probably, most people have burnt out of the season.

Special mention goes to my second favourite thing, the seasonal town that inexplicably requires extra effort to be able to teleport out of.

Clearly it's not ready for launch. I don't think we want content that even Blizz doesn't think is ready.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TheAgent posted:

Microsoft seems to really, really want to aquire game studios putting out very mid content.

tbf I think they got completely boned in a way they couldn't anticipate acquiring Bethesda and getting Redfall and Starfield in return

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Having a chuckle imaging the Gauntlet devs polishing a static layout dungeon with just the nastiest, sickest trap loadouts and environmental dangers while reading feedback on S3.

At least they can make the encounters strong? If it's just a random NMD pulled out of a hat with the same layout every time they already have everything in game to provide that other than the leaderboard.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

I just meant in general -- and I don't think they previewed this with anyone unlike season 2. S3 is complete and absolute loving garbage and universally hated by streamers and regular players alike.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Hopefully all of the laid-off lower-rung employees got severance. It’s safe to assume the laid-off upper management got very generous severance packages, likely per the pre-merger agreement.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheAgent posted:

I just meant in general -- and I don't think they previewed this with anyone unlike season 2. S3 is complete and absolute loving garbage and universally hated by streamers and regular players alike.

I said come in! posted:

I am liking this new season. The new dungeons for this season are much better designed and accessible. Blizzard listened and addressed many of my chief complaints about the design of Diablo IV.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

flashman posted:

I understand what I said, out of the 1900 announced layoffs I hope that there is a goodly quantity of those making the lovely product, rather than people working on potentially good new IPs or solid previous ones like d3.

They didn't get laid off because they made, what you think is a lovely product. They way more likely got laid off because whatever internal metrics they're using told them to lay off this number of people to make their stock number go up. Maybe bad D4 publicity or an underperforming season had some hand in it but you have no way of knowing that. You feel slighted that your treats aren't to your liking and hope that there's some sort of a primitive retribution to people you don't know over something that in the grand scheme of things affects you 0%

Infantile gamer brain horseshit

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

doomfunk posted:

to contextualize my reaction: I worked on this game. I played this game a lot with my team. I loved my work. I was laid off in September and with roughly 15% of the entire industry being laid off in the last two years this has been a particularly difficult jobless period.

I'm sorry this happened. Hope you land all right.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The lack of matchmaking in games like Destiny 2 and Diablo 4 is the biggest bullshit ever. Like wtf are they thinking. The most absolutely fundamental feature to modern multiplayer games -- if you dont have a server browser or matchmaking then wtf r you doing!!!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I take it all back, swim lanes are clear, queue up the next content drop on the diving board and get coach to sign off on it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tarnop posted:

Streamers are a bizarre source of info because they're engaged in the hyperbole machine. If they're having PM conversations under an NDA then maybe, but any contact with the devs that can be mined for outrage to drive up clicks is going to be seen as fair game. Everything has to be the best ever or a sign of impending death for the franchise.

Short of sending a shitload of surveys to random players they're going to get skewed feedback, and we saw how sending surveys to random players went last time.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

doomfunk posted:

to contextualize my reaction: I worked on this game. I played this game a lot with my team. I loved my work. I was laid off in September and with roughly 15% of the entire industry being laid off in the last two years this has been a particularly difficult jobless period.

Hey I know this doesn't mean much, but I genuinely enjoy this game. So thanks for the work you did, and I hope you can find a cool place to do more cool work and get paid well for it!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

euphronius posted:

The good news is maybe our beloved Blizzard IP may (may) end up in more competent hands

Heroes of the Storm is coming back, baby!!!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Streamers are a bizarre source of info because they're engaged in the hyperbole machine. If they're having PM conversations under an NDA then maybe, but any contact with the devs that can be mined for outrage to drive up clicks is going to be seen as fair game. Everything has to be the best ever or a sign of impending death for the franchise.

Short of sending a shitload of surveys to random players they're going to get skewed feedback, and we saw how sending surveys to random players went last time.

Wudijo has seen the itemization changes with an NDA and given feedback about the AoZ boss fight being really bad when it was originally a multiple trillion HP single boss fight that they ultimately changed to the blood seekers based on his feedback.

Even he, a player who has this much access, says this season is bad. It's not done for clicks and hyperbole

Rob, too, has said this season is bad. It's just that bad

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Heroes of the Storm is coming back, baby!!!

Funny enough there has been patches for it recently with balance changes. Signs of life!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Extremely hot take here but I think that most people trying to make a living off of the game really just want the game to be good so they can continue to make a living off of it and so more people will enjoy the game thus expanding their audience. I'm not super into watching d4 content but I see some amount of it and most of the big names are not trying to farm outrage content, they seem to earnestly want it to be better.

There's a lot more stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQYwproTLI than stuff just wildly making GBS threads on it. hell for how apocalyptic the popular reception to the season is (I had not looked at diablo4 reddit until this morning and holy poo poo), arpg content creators are being remarkably gentle.

What is the survey thing you are referencing?

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 25, 2024

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

kumba posted:

did they make leveling much much faster since S1? how were people level 100 after a day

there have been systemic level changes that affect leveling (density, XP for events/mobs) as well as a lot of practice. the fastest people are getting to 100 in about 16 hours so far this season, i think about 12 last season was the record. they have a pattern they follow with 3 other highly boredom-averse people and they do really boring grinding to get to 100, usually also at the expense of all the other stuff people do until 100 (gear, seasonal mechanics, uh...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What is the survey thing you are referencing?
A few months ago they sent out a survey to random people, one of the questions was about a possible price point for the DLC and one of the extreme options was $100. So naturally this made its way to the clickbait circles of hell as Blizzard wanting to charge $100 for the DLC.

I do not believe any streamer has any 'loyalty' to the game they're currently streaming outside of it being easy access to a community of viewers, but maybe I'm just cynical.