Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Von Pluring posted:

So Navarro brought her depressed/mentally unwell sister to this place where there's no sunlight for a part of the year, where lots of people regularly see ghosts, and where the water supposedly is dangerous for you.

Sister of the year.

Yeah, but she can be a dependent covered by a good insurance package. So yeah you might die, but it’s the only way to get the medication that you would definitely die without. Probably the most believable element of this season, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Danger posted:

You’re thinking of John Hinkley.

She did say this though

https://x.com/hollywoodobsrvr/status/1465821779579092999?s=46

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Nephthys posted:

What exactly do you want them to do, have Danvers stare directly into the camera and go "This is just like the Dyatlov Pass incident. That's the thing we are referencing. You should google it."

Subtext? Just give me straight text, baby

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
I don’t think this season is terrible, but so far I have been underwhelmed. At times it is so cheesy it feels like someone is making a parody of a prestige television cop show but without any jokes.

Now I know there are some people who take criticism of something they like personally so I don’t want to offend anyone. But why make a bad show for idiots to enjoy when you could instead make a good show for everyone to enjoy? If I was writing this season I would simply write good.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m also lollin at the idea that a handful of cops in the middle of bumfuck nowhere are going to be well-versed in the specifics of an incident that happened in the Soviet Union 65 years ago.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
For anyone who is stressing all the negative posting I offer you this:

They did it to Season 1 also.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

The Grandpa that was in one episode for ten seconds being part of cult and also molesting Marty's daughter was the best slap fight from the season one thread.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Nephthys posted:

What exactly do you want them to do, have Danvers stare directly into the camera and go "This is just like the Dyatlov Pass incident. That's the thing we are referencing. You should google it."

I think there’s a difference between referencing something and replicating almost the entirety of a series of very specific details from an already well known and singularly unique paranormal mystery. Maybe they will build upon it in some meaningful way, but yeah, having a character look directly into the camera and say “This is like the Dyatlov Pass Incident, and although the details of this case seem remarkably similar to that one, I’m sure ours will evolve into a differentiated and worthwhile experience.” would be cool.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is no more of a replica of Dyatlov Pass than S3 is one of the West Memphis Three murders.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm liking it so far. Not as well done as s1, not as boring as s3. It's something to watch and I don't feel like I'm wasting my time watching it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

As a hardened veteran of the season 1 thread I can say the people who hated it left quickly and every season is full of those posts in the beginning

Also there is very little similar to the dylotov pass incident other than the paradoxical undressing which is fairly common. You don't make a true detective season off "there was an avalanche and they froze"

Despera fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 23, 2024

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm enjoying it and my wife watches it without even so much as peeking at her phone, which is quite the achievement.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Despera posted:

As a hardened veteran of the season 1 thread I can say the people who hated it left quickly and every season is full of those posts in the beginning

Also there is very little similar to the dylotov pass incident other than the paradoxical undressing which is fairly common. You don't make a true detective season off "there was an avalanche and they froze"

It’s more than just paradoxical undressing.

quote:

After the group's bodies were discovered, an investigation by Soviet authorities determined that six of them had died from hypothermia while the other three had been killed by physical trauma. One victim had major skull damage, two had severe chest trauma, and another had a small crack in his skull. Four of the bodies were found lying in running water in a creek, and three of these four had damaged soft tissue of the head and face – two of the bodies had missing eyes, one had a missing tongue, and one had missing eyebrows.

I’m in remembering the count from last night’s episode there are also 9 members of the party in the group from the show. The 8 bodies plus the one missing (or was it 7 plus the one missing?)

I’m not going to fixate on it and poo poo up the thread, and obviously there’s other stuff going on too. I just find it an unexpected situation to borrow from, especially considering the semi-controversial nature of season 1 with regards to the same thing.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

What are the odds Navarro and Danvers are ex girlfriends

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Wouldn’t be surprising if she did the same thing as her daughter.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

th3t00t posted:

edit: The people of Ennis are messed up. Seeing the corpsicle barely seemed to affect any of them. The cops start horsing around the crime scene like right away. They all seem to be treating it like it's a joke.

That's just how cops are.

I do appreciate that regardless of the quality of the individual seasons none of them shy away from clear disdain for policing as a profession.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

a new study bible! posted:

It’s more than just paradoxical undressing.

I mentioned an avalanche

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

a new study bible! posted:

(or was it 7 plus the one missing?)

I believe it’s 8 total scientists, 6 frozen, screaming arm guy in the hospital, jacket guy on the loose.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I just went through S1 again after ten years and not gonna lie I still don't love the final episode. It felt like a fusion of monster of the week X-Files and a boomer cop show. The other episodes though, are perfect

also this was a few pages back but someone said no one talks about Rachel McAdams in S2, well the same can be said of Michelle Monaghan in S1, both of them own imo

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 24, 2024

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Open Source Idiom posted:

With good reason and good riddance.

Pizzaman wrote a thinkly veiled version of the character into the second season. At the time I thought it was poor taste, like a lot of the rest of the season, but not so much anymore.
Oh the only reason I said his name was to point out that changing directors meant the show was directed differently. I know literally nothing about the person. If they're a perv who needed to be fired, so be it, but that oner was a once in a lifetime achievement that nobody's going to forget.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I forgot how strong the s2 premiere is. Ray is dangerously close to being the best character of the entire series.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Caught up on Ep 2.

- It's a massive departure for the series (and maybe more of a clear continuation of the ideas from Tigers Are Not Afraid), but the mythology of ghosts so far is a lot of fun and provide the most interesting dialogue notes.
- John Hawkes feels more and more miscast as time goes on. The character seems like he's meant to be a wounded, prideful jackass in the Marty Hart vein, as a contrast to his son, but Hawkes is much too fragile and sensitive to get that across.
- For all the talk of the AI poster, I think there are more obvious signs of a possibly muddled or rushed production. For instance, Peter warning Danvers' daughter to stay away from the corpsicle because she "doesn't want that in her head"...but the body horror is already fully visible in all its detail from where they're standing. (Presumably that was written with the idea that they'd be sitting much further back in the bleachers, or with a sheet over the corpsicle?)
- The writing continues to struggle with Ennis' size and how that impacts the plot. It's a small town with limited social spaces where everyone seems to know one another, but this is the first time anyone has any gossip to share about Clark, the eccentric nudist foreign scientist who'd been regularly sneaking out to a trailer in a well-known Ennis hiding-spot to have sex with Annie, who then showed up murdered? Nobody thought to check the Nook after her death?
- I'm fine with Travis, but the mention of Tuttle feels off because I thought S1 clearly presented a regional, evangelical family trading on personal connections and corruption rather than a global business entity.
- The problem with Danvers so far isn't necessary that she's unlikeable - nearly all of our TD heroes have been assholes - it's that she doesn't have a good foil right now to play against. She needs someone to actually push back against her (which would help to better articulate her flaws in the process), but nobody's providing that other than Navarro, whose jabs at her are completely generic. It's curious that Lopez cited the bickering-in-the-car scenes from Season 1 as a major inspiration when that kind of character work is exactly what we're missing right now.
- The scoring is a reminder of what a fantastic job T-Bone Burnett did in S1 and S2 in using music to establish mood and character emotion - right now the needle drops are largely only being used for ironic contrast, and they're undermining the atmosphere rather than helping to build it up.

My one prediction is that the sworls on Travis' notebook are pointing towards a pair of hills.

I'll say this for the show - for better and worse, it's a genuine curiosity so far.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

wolfs posted:

What are the odds Navarro and Danvers are ex girlfriends

I can buy it, Danvers does know where she used to keep her cans so she's definitely been to her house before in a domestic situation. Also I've heard that apparently Alaska is so bleak, with nowhere to really go or do that it's not uncommon for people to smush a lot of booty. Danvers seems to have gone through half the cast already, whats one more?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 24, 2024

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

grobbo posted:

- For all the talk of the AI poster, I think there are more obvious signs of a possibly muddled or rushed production. For instance, Peter warning Danvers' daughter to stay away from the corpsicle because she "doesn't want that in her head"...but the body horror is already fully visible in all its detail from where they're standing. (Presumably that was written with the idea that they'd be sitting much further back in the bleachers, or with a sheet over the corpsicle?)

I think that trying too little and too late to protect someone from the world is actually pretty on-theme for the series.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
i also gently caress hate the beatles

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Enjoying this season so far, as mentioned the writers clearly have drawn inspiration from the Dyatlov Pass incident and cosmic horror. Loving Jodie Foster, and a lot of new actors. Great to see Christopher Eccleston, though its hard for me to process him with an American or adjacent accent.

Having said that - the theme song is nails on a chalkboard. This is what Billie Eilish sounds like? I agree with the earlier poster that said a far better move would have been going with an indigenous artist or basically anything else.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The dyatlov pass stuff had me initially thinking that there would end up being something in the beatles song that triggered hallucinations, just like in that incident. But then I think someone itt mentioned that it was originally supposed to be something else from the movie and I guess that kills that theory

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a gbs true detective thread that’s a trash bag of garbage water, but I do agree with this poster.

Smugworth posted:

I do wish Jodie Fosters character would have said "I'm just a regular type chick with a big rear end pussy"

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
I'm pretty keen to keep watching.

I think the S1 easter eggs are fine, and for me at least don't make the world feel small. It's a conspiracy and we're seeing this story because it involves things where it would have interests. Pulp stories did this, and in the weird fiction circle peppering other people's works with Easter eggs was par for the course.

The director revealing on social media that Travis is Rust's dad is something that actually does make the world feel small. The only point I could imagine would be to have McConaughey return, which isn't at all interesting to me. I'll roll my eyes if that becomes a plot point more than the spiral.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HK5000 posted:

Great to see Christopher Eccleston, though its hard for me to process him with an American or adjacent accent.

You should watch The Leftovers.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Im still mad she refused "Hannibal"

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Whale Vomit posted:

I'm pretty keen to keep watching.

I think the S1 easter eggs are fine, and for me at least don't make the world feel small. It's a conspiracy and we're seeing this story because it involves things where it would have interests. Pulp stories did this, and in the weird fiction circle peppering other people's works with Easter eggs was par for the course.

The director revealing on social media that Travis is Rust's dad is something that actually does make the world feel small. The only point I could imagine would be to have McConaughey return, which isn't at all interesting to me. I'll roll my eyes if that becomes a plot point more than the spiral.

McConaughey will 100% be in this now that they dropped that nugget. Or they dropped it to make us think that so we'll keep watching. Guess we'll just have to keep watching to find out.

Diabolical.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Nic Pizzolatto specifically tweeted that (I'll spoiler this if you don't like speculation being confirmed or denied) Matthew would not show up. So if he does, then we've got a real hosed up social media/kicking Nic out/I don't know what situation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s a salty guy. I can’t totally blame him for being upset that hbo is turning the best thing he ever did into a marvelified shared universe for marketing reasons, but he should not post about it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

He’s a salty guy. I can’t totally blame him for being upset that hbo is turning the best thing he ever did into a marvelified shared universe for marketing reasons, but he should not post about it.

Why not?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
"shared universe" or "canon" is absolutely the worst thing to ever happen to fiction

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

grobbo posted:

- I'm fine with Travis, but the mention of Tuttle feels off because I thought S1 clearly presented a regional, evangelical family trading on personal connections and corruption rather than a global business entity.
They were much bigger than just a regional family. Edwin Tuttle was the Governor of Louisiana and then later became a Senator.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Posting is usually a mistake unless you’re promoting something. It doesn’t usually reflect well on public figures to complain about what other people are doing. Compare something like those Instagram posts to the usual anodyne “I wasn’t involved in this season but I wish them well and I’m glad if you’re enjoying it” that a corpo pr charm school would teach you to write. There’s nothing good that can come from saying you think hbo is stupid. 1) it’s obviously true and everyone already knows it and 2) now the actor he says says he likes and respects is put in the position of having to respond to internet weirdos, or at least of having had public perception of him altered by that post. Although this last one is complicated by hbo teasing his return, which obviously won’t happen but now is generating that kind of dumb attention.

Wouldn’t you rather be thought of as gracious rather than petty or resentful? They’re not going to hire you to write more Blade movies if they know you disparage product.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

th3t00t posted:

They were much bigger than just a regional family. Edwin Tuttle was the Governor of Louisiana and then later became a Senator.

The Tuttle/Childress clan being religious weirdos with enough clout to exploit American cultural rot and political idiosyncrasies at the state/local level (i.e. only the Governor can arrest sheriffs in Louisiana which allows them to run parishes as defacto fiefdoms, taking advantage of post-civil rights white flight from public education to set up private religious schools as holding pens for vulnerable children, etc) was way more effective and interesting than making them the tie-in to a faceless global corporation doing evil conspiracy theory stuff.

Especially if this season is going for the angle of some sort of virus or biological weapon as the a factor in the spooky events, might as well just ctrl-f "Tuttle Industries" with "Umbrella Corporation". Boring as hell.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Whale Vomit posted:

The director revealing on social media that Travis is Rust's dad is something that actually does make the world feel small.

Ugh,I should have never come here