Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I too would absolutely tell Tepper I can scheme around BY and get him to develop a Jump Ball to make it work if it meant getting tens of millions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm all for giving the Josh McDanielses of the world one less option

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Firing Caroll makes sense if you take into account his age and the fact the Seattle D has not been good for years and that was his side of the ball

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
gently caress it, do this.

https://twitter.com/PewterReport/status/1750570695027835369?t=SiFEZYju0JF0jQY9pCJa-A&s=19

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

That is a ROUGH job too. A bad rookie QB, meddling and demanding owner and not much in the way of talent. God bless.

Actually it's a great job. He's going to get 4 years of guaranteed money for 9 months of work. :v:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Shinji2015 posted:

Vrabel feels a lot more likely than Bill at this point to get a job. Like Impossibly Perfect Sphere said, Bill only makes sense on a team that's ready to go (like Philly), and while I liked him for Atlanta, they probably want a guy that will be around for more than three years.

And that's the problem. Any team that's ready to go probably already has a front office in place, and they're not going to give Belichick the total dictatorial control he's grown accustomed to. He already walked away from Atlanta because he didn't think he could work with Rich McKay; and if you can't collaborate with one of the longest-tenured and most respected execs in the league, who can you actually do that with? He probably really is done.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

FizFashizzle posted:

Panthers are interviewing Vrabel today.

Please do not let him leave the building.

Got some bad news for you

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Will Bryce Young get his coach fired again? Tune in on Tonights Special Episode of "gently caress Off Tepper!"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if Brandon Staley killed all interest in defensive coaches

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

AndrewP posted:

Counterpoint: DeMeco Ryans

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Counterpoint: DeMeco Ryans

It’s true but Ryans was also a player who immediately has that credibility and understanding of a locker room. Staley and Macdonald are these more soft spoken non-player defensive types and it’s clear from Staley that it doesn’t guarantee you a good defense

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

AndrewP posted:

It’s true but Ryans was also a player who immediately has that credibility and understanding of a locker room. Staley and Macdonald are these more soft spoken non-player defensive types and it’s clear from Staley that it doesn’t guarantee you a good defense

Fair enough. I think more players should eventually become HC's :shrug:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

AndrewP posted:

Antonio Pierce also just got the full time job

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Febreeze posted:

Antonio Pierce also just got the full time job

I mean he was given the job not because of his coaching preference but because of vibes

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

and Jerod Mayo

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Although AndrewP pointed out Ryans was a former player, Pierce is too. Mayo and Vrabel as well.

Maybe it's less that Staley ruined the reps of skinny young white guy scheme dorks and Dan Campbell is ushering in the era of cool vibes dudes who make a good culture because they've been there

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Isn't the Lions Glenn a former player? He's getting interviews this cycle.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

gently caress you Carolina.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Docjowles posted:

Both Vrabel and Belichick being without a chair when the music stops would be loving wild

What's still left other than Atlanta. Seattle?

It's really not that wild for Vrabel. I understand dude won COTY for that season where he navigated the injuries so well, but keep in mind that Mike Vrabel is an abrasive meathead (unlike Dan Campbell's endearing meathead), who inherited a playoff team and drove it into the ground once he had to coach up the next generation of dudes while alienating existing players who went off to have good seasons elsewhere and having rosters with the highest injury rate in the league for multiple seasons and all the while asking for MORE roster control. He's inflexible, keeping his circle of buddies on staff long past when they should have hosed off.

He's a good coach. He has the ability to connect with a certain kind of player. His players, even the ones that hate him, acknowledge that. But I don't think he's a great one, and multiple jobs now have hired someone else.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ben Johnson. Come on down to Washington when you are done guiding the Lions, shall you?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Soul Glo posted:

It's really not that wild for Vrabel. I understand dude won COTY for that season where he navigated the injuries so well, but keep in mind that Mike Vrabel is an abrasive meathead (unlike Dan Campbell's endearing meathead), who inherited a playoff team and drove it into the ground once he had to coach up the next generation of dudes while alienating existing players who went off to have good seasons elsewhere and having rosters with the highest injury rate in the league for multiple seasons and all the while asking for MORE roster control. He's inflexible, keeping his circle of buddies on staff long past when they should have hosed off.

He's a good coach. He has the ability to connect with a certain kind of player. His players, even the ones that hate him, acknowledge that. But I don't think he's a great one, and multiple jobs now have hired someone else.

Can't believe he didn't win while the GM traded away good players and drafted total crap for three years.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1750557793319346654
I suspect most Bills fans (who can name coaches) would give Washington a Meh rating. The DL hasn't been a train wreck to generate hatred the way the previous OL coach achieved it, but the same time the DL hasn't been a unit that has consistently lived up to high standards or the investment it had recieved.

However he has also been the assistant HC for a while so McDermott must rate him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Atlanta, Seattle, DC. All pretty decent jobs with Seattle maybe being the worst.

I know it can’t be for real-real til the Lions are eliminated win the Super Bowl baby, but I thought Ben Johnson was basically confirmed for the Commanders yesterday

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

He's getting a huge salary bump and now his name will permanently be on the Head Coach lists and under consideration for every other job out there unless he bombs so hard he goes 0-17.

The salary bump alone is probably worth like 5 years of being a OC.

Also for this particular job, if he does suck and gets fired, a bunch of people will probably give him a pass for the owner being a dumbass. Worst case scenario is he goes back to being an OC with money in the back and a nicer resume.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

When a first year coordinator leads a team with Evans and Godwin to twentieth in points and 23rd in total yards, in the dogshit nfc south including a 9 point explosion in a must win game against the panthers….well you gotta jump on that.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

When a first year coordinator leads a team with Evans and Godwin to twentieth in points and 23rd in total yards, in the dogshit nfc south including a 9 point explosion in a must win game against the panthers….well you gotta jump on that.

But they did average nearly 28ppg in the playoffs. I'd be willing to bet he'll win you over, he's a pretty good coach and the players absolutely love him. If he can't get the morale of that team turned around it probably will never happen. He's at least willing to coach to the players strengths and willing to adapt when needed. He might commit to the run a bit too much though, but maybe Bowles was forcing that.

Just be happy it's not Byron Leftwich.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol the morale

Welcome to working for David Tepper. Six months of it made Frank reich look like he was undergoing chemo.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lol how long until Tepper takes over as HC to show these guys how to really manage a team?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Docjowles posted:

I know it can’t be for real-real til the Lions are eliminated win the Super Bowl baby, but I thought Ben Johnson was basically confirmed for the Commanders yesterday

I hadn't heard that.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

please please please please please

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

wandler20 posted:

lol how long until Tepper takes over as HC to show these guys how to really manage a team?

The NFL introducing its version of the Stepien Rules as a result of the Tepper coaching era would be pretty loving hilarious

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Can't believe he didn't win while the GM traded away good players and drafted total crap for three years.

I don’t think having a bad GM completely exonerates him. Do you just assume Vrabel was sitting in his office, seething year after year while the GM kneecapped him with lovely rosters with no input?

Vrabel owns some amount of the flak for the state of that roster. Regardless of what input he has on draft picks, you can go year after year of his teams and see the Vrabel guys that kept turning out to be wet farts. The Geoff Swaim’s and Trevon Wescoe’s and Aaron Brewer’s and Andre Dillard’s that he was stoked for that never contributed or underperformed at best.

Tbf he did bring us Nuk, which owned.

Again, this is on top of running guys like David Long and Adoree Jackson out of town, who went on to contribute for other teams.

Wesley Woodyard called into the Nashville morning show yesterday to talk about the state of that team in 2018 when Vrabel got there. It’s pretty clear that Vrabel is the kind of coach to force a team into his mold instead of coaching what he actually has, to the point of making everyone in the locker room miserable until he surrounded himself with enough guys that fit his type to build that leader of men rep he carries now.

https://youtu.be/Lm6e3U79_VI?si=AR1FNtQTzijbZz05

I do maintain he’s a good coach, but not great. He has an incredible wealth of rules knowledge that he uses actively in games to gain edges and wins. He plans well. He’ll probably win a lot of football games in the future, but I think the media is giving him more credit than he deserves after his first HC gig :shrug:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Soul Glo posted:

I don’t think having a bad GM completely exonerates him. Do you just assume Vrabel was sitting in his office, seething year after year while the GM kneecapped him with lovely rosters with no input?

Yes, this is literally why he and the team "mutually parted ways".

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Bucs are going to keep the guy who got them to the divisional round during a rebuild year. Especially now when the first wave of HC candidates have already been picked through.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
He might be able to build up Bryce into a competent backup, give him a chance guys.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Coldforge posted:

Isn't the Lions Glenn a former player? He's getting interviews this cycle.

He is and he was getting some early interview buzz that seems to have died down. I still get the feeling that he'd be a good fit in Washington but that's probably not happening if people are calling Ben Johnson for that job now.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

C-Euro posted:

He is and he was getting some early interview buzz that seems to have died down. I still get the feeling that he'd be a good fit in Washington but that's probably not happening if people are calling Ben Johnson for that job now.

The only report I've seen is boomer esiason saying it. Not sure why he'd have inside knowledge.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Bucs are going to keep the guy who got them to the divisional round during a rebuild year. Especially now when the first wave of HC candidates have already been picked through.

You're just saying that because you don't want us to take Monken.

Seriously tho, you're probably right. If they loved Canalas that much they would've fired Bowles and promoted Canalas.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what if tampa hires monken as " ;) offensive coordinator ;) "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Yes, this is literally why he and the team "mutually parted ways".

He didn’t mutually part ways, they fired him, op