Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Is Rascals the one where their deaged because I liked that one.

Yes. It's also the one where Keiko wants to bang Miles and he's like "you're in the body of a 12 year old. This is gross."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hollismason posted:

Is Rascals the one where their deaged because I liked that one.

Just glad it didn't end up being the backdoor pilot for TNG: babies like the studio wanted.

Turned out all the toddler voice actors had huge issues getting through all the long technobabble sections of the scripts.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

dr_rat posted:

Just glad it didn't end up being the backdoor pilot for TNG: babies like the studio wanted.

Turned out all the toddler voice actors had huge issues getting through all the long technobabble sections of the scripts.

I like that DS9 did an episode showing how inexperienced kids running a star ship is a really bad idea in practice.

It's also a fairly accurate portrayal of how big the egos of a military cadet can get despite not having had to deal with the real world.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

StrangersInTheNight posted:

How do people feel about the Enterprise opening theme nowadays? I remember it being the object of mockery when the show was on, but it's the sort of thing that's so cheesy, I could see it becoming nostalgic for folks who may have grown up with it...

still the worst star trek theme song possible, but it found it’s place in the universe. RIP space bat :patriot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibq2IwznCgc

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always liked Quark's space puck lock.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. It's also the one where Keiko wants to bang Miles and he's like "you're in the body of a 12 year old. This is gross."

Miles O'Brien: One Stand-up Fella

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I never really took that to be Keiko being down to clown like that. At first I just assumed she meant "We'll just wait till i'm older" but after DS9 I now take it to mean this is where she starts the polycule she clearly wants to build.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Keiko and Miles have a healthy relationship based on shared interests and experiences, such as being possessed by malevolent alien entities

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it's kinda weird how much time they spent on Miles tbh. I did not find him an engaging character and it felt like a weak attempt at sympathy for the devil for an obvious bigot. Was there a producer who really liked Colm Meaney or something?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 25, 2024

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

How do people feel about the Enterprise opening theme nowadays? I remember it being the object of mockery when the show was on, but it's the sort of thing that's so cheesy, I could see it becoming nostalgic for folks who may have grown up with it...
I still sing it to myself sometimes when I need to strengthen my resolve about something.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaveWoo posted:

Keiko and Miles have a healthy relationship based on shared interests and experiences, such as being possessed by malevolent alien entities

lol I'd forgotten that what happens to Keiko on DS9, happened to Miles on TNG.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

it's kinda weird how much time they spent on Miles tbh. I did not find him an engaging character and it felt like a weak attempt at sympathy for the devil for an obvious bigot. Was there a producer who really liked Colm Meaney or something?

It was the audience that loved Colm Meaney. In a future where humanity has risen above the bullshit of the current day and are basically ‘perfect’ you have a normal married guy who works with his hands and has personality flaws. It’s why Barclay was so popular, although I think his schtick would’ve worn thin if he had as much screen time as O’Brien.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Imagine if Barclay had come to ds9 with Obrien

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It also helps that Meaney is, as far as I know, a well-reputed actor and liked by everyone. Especially compared to Dwight Schultz.

But since Colm Meaney also had a career after Star Trek, he is probably too expensive for STO and doesn't appear in it in any way, not even in the DS9 and Gamma quadrant storyline which is closest we will ever get to a DS9 sequel or movie.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 25, 2024

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

The episode where Barclay is spending too much time in the holodeck with submissive waifu versions of all the ladies on the ship and beating up feckless loser versions of all the fellas

He's spending so much time in there he's like late for work lol

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Der Kyhe posted:

It also helps that Meaney is, as far as I know, a well-reputed actor and liked by everyone. Especially compared to Dwight Schultz.

But since Colm Meaney also had a career after Star Trek, he is probably too expensive for STO and doesn't appear in it in any way, not even in the DS9 and Gamma quadrant storyline.

He's busy teaching how to turn rocks into replicators at the academy.

naem
May 29, 2011

exact opposite for me, Miles is like a real actual person thrust into a goofy space situation and I felt like he really grounded the show.

I really enjoyed how he and Wharf got turned into 3 dimensional characters after TNG

Personal preference and all that

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

The holosuite scenes of Our Man Bashir happens shot for shot but it's not a transporter malfunction, Barclay just programmed it himself that way and the b-plot is the crew - minus Bashir and Garak - just having a normal day.

At one point one of them mentions how weird it is that nothing hosed up has happened all day. Sisko says "...Ha!"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Miles O’Brien: Union Man

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

naem posted:

exact opposite for me, Miles is like a real actual person thrust into a goofy space situation and I felt like he really grounded the show.

I really enjoyed how he and Wharf got turned into 3 dimensional characters after TNG

Personal preference and all that

Yeh same feelings here

I like him having to fix all the lovely broken DS9 tech like the replicator that keeps spitting out piss-coffee and arguing with an operating system he isn't used to

Why is this turbolift broken, all the sensors are nominal

*commences ripping wires/USB data crystals out from under console*

gently caress

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Miles O’Brien: Union Man

The only union man left in the galaxy.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
What union is he a member of? They must be a pretty lovely union because I'm pretty sure nobody in starfleet gets paid.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
o'brien must suffer episodes worked because meaney is a good actor who could consistently pull it off each time. most of them were really good episodes, too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
O brien must suffer favorite episode is the clone one.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
O'Brien had so much legitimate trauma before and during the series and everyone loves to poo poo on him because he can't magically turn himself from a solider who has to pull the trigger and watch someone die in front of them to just being a normal tolerant open minded dude again on a dime. Even after all the horror he witnessed he still managed to make a decent life for himself and continued to work on his problems and improve as a person. Most people who went through that would just be perpetually online curating their list of trigger warnings and neurosis in their Twitter bio, or go the other way and turn into a full time MAGA chud.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The funniest O'Brien episode is the one where he gets put in brain-prison

Actually maybe the one where it turns out he was a confused clone the whole ep

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 25, 2024

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

That was seriously messed up. It's been a while but I don't remember if they really conveyed the gravity of his suffering. Absolutely top notch sci fi concept.

Also the way I saw him was he held a grudge and had some PTSD from war and didn't like spoonheads as a result. :shrug:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I like the DS9 episode where O'Brien gets arrested and fights the cops on New Sydney. He then blows up Ezri's family by figuring out that they're working with gangsters and her brother was a murderer

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Big rear end On Fire posted:

That was seriously messed up. It's been a while but I don't remember if they really conveyed the gravity of his suffering. Absolutely top notch sci fi concept.

Also the way I saw him was he held a grudge and had some PTSD from war and didn't like spoonheads as a result. :shrug:

Hard to do in less than an hour but I think they did the best they could. Hitting plastic buckets with a giant wrench was a little silly but going from that immediately into full on suicide attempt was pretty harsh.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

o’brien must suffer is the name of my hardcore band

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Miles O'Brien is the best wtf

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Honestly I do like Miles by DS9, but that's because the dynamics in that show are that much better IMO.

I think I just really hate the episode where he's got the Cardassian kid Rugal and at the beginning he's like oh no Keiko, don't let Molly be around that boy (oh Miles!), then by the end he's giving a very 90's trek-speech about how you shouldn't judge a whole race and it's like HEY. No you don't get to just say it like that, when at the very beginning of the episode you were up to your old shenanigans! be more honest about who you still are. It's too fast of a redemption arc for me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The best interaction for Miles has to be when he was working with the Cardassian woman and she was like " Let's get down"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Hot horny cardassian lady was fun, it’s like when the racist skinhead biker has a black wife, but the real winner is when O’Brien bonds with the cardassian kid over their mutual annoyance of keiko’s bullshit

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

O'Brien knew Dr. Pulaski hated the transporters so when she chose to beam down to a planet (I think it's the clip show episode where they force Riker to relive his best memories, then immediately experience his worst to kill some parasite in him), he takes extra care... To gently caress with her right before he beams her down.

O'Brien owns

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Cthulu Carl posted:

O'Brien knew Dr. Pulaski hated the transporters so when she chose to beam down to a planet (I think it's the clip show episode where they force Riker to relive his best memories, then immediately experience his worst to kill some parasite in him), he takes extra care... To gently caress with her right before he beams her down.

O'Brien owns

I don't remember this. Got a clip?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Honestly I do like Miles by DS9, but that's because the dynamics in that show are that much better IMO.

I think I just really hate the episode where he's got the Cardassian kid Rugal and at the beginning he's like oh no Keiko, don't let Molly be around that boy (oh Miles!), then by the end he's giving a very 90's trek-speech about how you shouldn't judge a whole race and it's like HEY. No you don't get to just say it like that, when at the very beginning of the episode you were up to your old shenanigans! be more honest about who you still are. It's too fast of a redemption arc for me.

So there's this teenaged boy who showed up in your city a few hours ago. You two know things about him so far, first, he bit someone's hand for saying hello, second, he might be dealing with possible trauma from growing up an an abusive home.

Are you comfortable with boy spending a few hours alone with your very young daughter? Keep in mind one of these answers will make you a bigot, I guess.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

So there's this teenaged boy who showed up in your city a few hours ago. You two know things about him so far, first, he bit someone's hand for saying hello, second, he might be dealing with possible trauma from growing up an an abusive home. Also you have previously used biggoted language to describe this boy's species and have explicitly stated how you hate them all.

Are you comfortable with boy spending a few hours alone with your very young daughter? Keep in mind one of these answers will make you a bigot, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I don't remember this. Got a clip?

No clip, but I found the script: Shades of Gray, Season, 2, Ep 22:

O'BRIEN: Here's the biofilter's analysis of the microbes.
PULASKI: That's not much to go on.
O'BRIEN: I can override and beam Commander Riker aboard .
PULASKI: No. I'd better go down and make an evaluation there.
(She takes a deep, reluctant breath and gets on the pad)
O'BRIEN: I hope these are the right coordinates. Just kidding, Doctor. I know how much you love the transporter.
PULASKI: About as much as I love comical Transporter Chiefs.
O'BRIEN: Ready?