Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its more Ukraine is not willing to sacrifice what economy and workforce they have left, unlike Russia - But that isn't working out in Russia's case either given current trends in Russian industry.

Its not bleak, its not great either, but Russia still isn't making significant progress and even assuming an attrition war - Russia does not have the forces, training, or even logistics to return to large scale maneuvering anytime soon.

Haven't both sides so thoroughly mined the front that large scale maneuvering isn't possible anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
In other news, the pickle man has been sent to the gulag.

https://x.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1750478679870754929?s=20

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
He'll relish the day he's finished serving hard brine behind jars.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

And nobody ever saw him again

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

thekeeshman posted:

:byewhore:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nooo I'll really miss my favorite terrorist and doom-poster :cry:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thekeeshman posted:

i like how this monarchist weirdo basicaly sold his humanity and soul to do terrible poo poo for decades for some psycho and now will just get tortured to death in some comic book hell prison because he was vaguely realitic.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Dear lord that's a remote location. *reads Wikipedia* Ah, it's where the Soviet Union moved a bunch of factories to during WW2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its more Ukraine is not willing to sacrifice what economy and workforce they have left, unlike Russia - But that isn't working out in Russia's case either given current trends in Russian industry.

Its not bleak, its not great either, but Russia still isn't making significant progress and even assuming an attrition war - Russia does not have the forces, training, or even logistics to return to large scale maneuvering anytime soon.

yeah. my view is this just becomes a very slow awful stalemate until later in the year when the the EU stuff starts coming into effect. personally, i dont think as of right now, either side wins some great victory, but i can see russia possibly imploding over it if we are lucky. I dont think trump wins and i think the US might be able to give the russia money to the ukrainians.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1750516090134781965

the sucide squad except they are all the Peter Davidson character

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Apparently some Russian source is saying that Ukraine's use of fpv kamikaze drones is significant:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1749754938542927904.html

quote:

1/ QUICK TAKE on the Russian thoughts abut the role of FPV drones and what is needed (by either side) for a breakthrough) at the front: "The number of drones on the frontline is growing exponentially. Up to a dozen “birds”(FPVs) can now strike one vehicle, and 2-3 drones can chase after a single soldier."
2/ "The "kamikaze" surveillance in the air has already led to a reduction in troops on the front line. Where a platoon used to sit, they now make do with a squad. Both sides strive to minimize movements on the front line. The front now rests on the shoulders of the..."
3/ "...delivery and evacuation groups. If previously they could drive up to the trenches by car, now moving a group of two people at night is considered a relatively safe way. We are moving by leaps and bounds towards isolating the combat area. Already many people..."
4/ "...are losing their nerves and people are simply afraid to approach the front line. Hundreds of expensive cruise missiles are not needed to break through the front line. To break through, you need to make sure that the fighter throws his bag of food away and refuses to go..."
5/ "...to the trenches because of dozens of drones in the air. The recipe for a breakthrough is extremely simple. Increase the number of FPV drones by 4 times and concentrate them on a small area of the front. After the supplies and deliveries stop..."
6/ "...in a week, it will be simply possible to pick off the tired soldiers without much difficulty. And most importantly, to implement such a scenario, very small financial and time investments are needed. It is realistic - the main thing is to get ahead of the enemy."
7/ The debate and discussion over how many drones both sides are manufacturing is only getting more visceral - that is why Ukraine said it needs a million FPVs this year for a breakthrough.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-produce-one-million-drones-next-year-zelenskiy-says-2023-12-19/
8/ More to the point - this time from Russia's Dmitry Rogozin: "Yesterday and today there was a continuous raid of enemy drones on our positions. At our neighboring detachment, 15 (Ukrainian) FPV kamikazes are on "duty" in the air. Naturally, rotation is difficult."
t.me/rogozin_do/5297
9/ "It seems that now that countering killer drones have moved the counter-battery warfare to the forefront... as a particularly visceral problem. And why do the Ukrainians need shells and artillery if they are replaced by gamers with their shells/grenades flying on high-speed drones? Good question."
10/ "This is a new type of artillery - high-precision aerial artillery. It will gradually replace conventional cannon and rocket artillery, since it is much more accurate and cheaper, and the recording of target hits is visible to the operators of these UAVs."
11/ "But we (Russian forces) should immediately take measures to prevent the enemy from controlling the air due to the dominance of his reconnaissance UAVs and killer drones."

Link to article:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-produce-one-million-drones-next-year-zelenskiy-says-2023-12-19/

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This is a wild loving war. Drone swarms.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

If you watch any war vids it's 90% stuff getting blown up by little quad drones.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Seems like at some point every soldier on the front line needs to be in bomb defusal armor to survive the grenades being dropped on them nonstop.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'm sure Russia will treat him great, just like they treat Ukrainian POWs in their care.

Unlike poor AMERICAN CITIZEN Gonzalo "Just posted some stuff online" Lira that Ukraine MURDERED IN COLD BLOOD.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Girkin sent to tiny penal colony.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

thekeeshman posted:

Lol, "extremist activity". Criticizing your half-assed mismanaged colonial adventure that is now dragging down the whole country sure is extremist. Nothing moderate about it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

McGavin posted:

Haven't both sides so thoroughly mined the front that large scale maneuvering isn't possible anymore?

air superiority would change that. it wouldn't get the mines up, but it would allow coring out of hardpoints such that the mines wouldn't matter nearly so much.

it's one of the reasons why people were/are so excited about the f-16s (they won't matter in this way, there's not enough of them and russian AA is still too strong)

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's always fun to be Robespierre until you get Robespierre'd.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
lol

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

thekeeshman posted:

Will he be a donut-spooned cock or does he accept the notions I wonder.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

It's always fun to be Robespierre until you get Robespierre'd.

Yes I guess gerkin and his colleagues do deserve to have their jaw shot off with a musket ball

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Erdogan gave his final seal of approval for Sweden's NATO ascension. So Turkey's part will be done once they've delivered the ratification document to the US State Department.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1750595650121798092

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cannot wait for turkey to sign off on breakaway Kaliningrad’s NATO application next year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

weg posted:

He'll relish the day he's finished serving hard brine behind jars.

What'll happen to his pro-Israel posts in CSPAM?!?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Seeing as we aren't going to talk about that I guess we'll never know!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1750516090134781965

the sucide squad except they are all the Peter Davidson character

Gonna laugh so hard if the coup that finally topples Putin is led by a wave of angry felons.

No not the oligarchs, the other felons.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Toxic Mental posted:

There were Ukrainian POWs in that gas plant.

Also there were a few dozen Ukrainian POWs in that airboat production shop as well. They're highly explosive and flammable.

The dash is made of inlayed Ukrainian POWs. . . and there are some in the trunk.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
All jokes aside I could see them pulling this poo poo any time a transport ship or plane gets attacked. "Oh you shouldn't have done that you just killed your own people, maybe you can't shoot our transports any more!"

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

weg posted:

All jokes aside I could see them pulling this poo poo any time a transport ship or plane gets attacked. "Oh you shouldn't have done that you just killed your own people, maybe you can't shoot our transports any more!"

I'd rater they lie about it than actually do it, but I'm not holding out optimism that they'll continue bluffing 100% of the time.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I agree, even though those in charge are pretty heinous it's a lot easier and just as effective to claim you're doing it than to actually go through with it.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Mistle posted:

I'd rater they lie about it than actually do it, but I'm not holding out optimism that they'll continue bluffing 100% of the time.

I don't really see what they'd gain from killing POWs since they're needed for exchanges... but I guess I can't really say they wouldn't do a thing just because it's a self-own, either.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

thekeeshman posted:

I hope he dies in prison and it's slow and painful. I'm Malaysian, let me have this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I hope he dies in prison and it's slow and painful. I'm Malaysian, let me have this.

Dutch here, same. Very much same.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 25, 2024

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Prettz posted:

Seems like at some point every soldier on the front line needs to be in bomb defusal armor to survive the grenades being dropped on them nonstop.

This is going to be the "new artillery" for Russia, the thing that starts upping Ukrainian attrition rates. Unless Ukraine can force a route somewhere and engage in sustained offensive movements, anything they send out is going to be droned.

Russia needs to be off balance and constantly trying to retreat and not being overrun to stop the drones. You give a drone team an hour to catch their breath and they're effectively on the offensive against. I saw a video a few months back where a Ukrainian team unloaded the back of an SUV and were popping tanks and mobiks within 45 minutes.

Like was mentioned before. Ukraine needs decisive airpower to turn the tide on the battlefield, something they're not likely to get.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Isn't this what electronic warfare is supposed to be for? Have drones actually evolved beyond jamming or are the jamming units just too big and too obvious to not get popped by conventional artillery and rockets?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

the holy poopacy posted:

Isn't this what electronic warfare is supposed to be for? Have drones actually evolved beyond jamming or are the jamming units just too big and too obvious to not get popped by conventional artillery and rockets?

I've seen multiple videos of drones spotting drone jammers for artillery, and drones taking them out themselves. There have even been a few videos of guys pointing drone jamming guns at the drones and eating a grenade for their efforts. I don't know the exact answer, but the drones seem to always get through. (not that we'd see much footage of them not).

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1750623630042567077#m

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He won't die in prison, Russia treats its prisoners extremely well, and furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

He's only getting 4 years after clowning on the armed forces and putin for 1,5 years, while some Russians get 8 years for a single social media post saying war bad.