Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mad Hamish posted:

Look, no-one ever said that Ap/ep is smart.

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

skasion posted:

Pliny seems to assume that all the stars (including the planets and moon) are spheres, as he explicitly says is the case with the earth.

He says the moon is lit by reflected light from the sun and correctly argues that full moon can only occur when the moon and sun are on opposite sides of the earth. He claims Posidonius calculated the moon is 2,000,040 stadia from earth, which I don’t know how he calculated it but it’s actually not that bad a guess—comes out to around 230,000 (modern) miles, the correct answer is like 239,000.

More unfortunately, he also argues that the spots on the moon are bits of earth it sucks up while drinking the oceans, and that the moon must be bigger than the earth, because otherwise it wouldn’t be possible for the moon to fully eclipse the sun.

Source is Natural History Book 2, the whole book is about astronomy and contains many more baffling moon facts!

Anaxagorus is the guy who figured out the moon reflected sunlight (circa 400s BC), and gave the correct explanation for eclipses. He claimed that the moon was just a big rock that had gotten flung off the earth into space, determined that it was at least as big as the Peloponnesus (based on the shadow that it cast during the eclipse of 478) and that meteorites were other big rocks that broke off heavenly bodies and fell to earth.

He went further and said that the sun was a giant spinning mass of white hot metal at least 18 times bigger than the moon, and the other stars were the same thing but further away

Having argued that the moon and sun were not gods, he got run out of Athens for impiety.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 26, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Anaxagorus owned.

And technically he's right, the moon is bigger than the Peloponnesus and the sun is more than 18 times bigger than the moon :thunkin:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Anaxagorus is the guy who figured out the moon reflected sunlight (circa 400s BC), and gave the correct explanation for eclipses. He claimed that the moon was just a big rock that had gotten flung off the earth into space, determined that it was at least as big as the Peloponnesus (based on the shadow that it cast during the eclipse of 478) and that meteorites were other big rocks that broke off heavenly bodies and fell to earth.

He went further and said that the sun was a giant spinning mass of white hot metal at least 18 times bigger than the moon, and the other stars were the same thing but further away

Having argued that the moon and sun were not gods, he got run out of Athens for impiety.

Not the worst thing Athens did to a Philosopher

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kylaer posted:

Anaxagorus owned.

And technically he's right, the moon is bigger than the Peloponnesus and the sun is more than 18 times bigger than the moon :thunkin:

my favorite reference to him is aristotle saying 'that dumbass anaxagoras thinks that there's air contained in water and fish suck it out with their gills. that's nonsense how would they exhale'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love it when a guy from 2000 years ago is wrong about science but also shockingly close to the truth given how little information was available.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Many people throughout history and all over the world managed to get some things right about the natural world, even if it was the result of the wrong conclusions, local religion, or philosophical conjecture.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

Trees aren't real except for the giant trees whose stumps became mountains

I thought this was the Elden Ring thread for a second

Btw if anyone interested hasn't found it yet Tarnished Archaeologist is a grad student applying archaeology principles to Elden Ring to draw conclusions and is a fun watch

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Benagain posted:

I thought this was the Elden Ring thread for a second

Btw if anyone interested hasn't found it yet Tarnished Archaeologist is a grad student applying archaeology principles to Elden Ring to draw conclusions and is a fun watch

There's a scene in Horizon: Zero Dawn where Sylens is explaining Earth's technological past to Aloy, shows her a hologram of a globe, and smugly tells her that the Earth is round, not flat like he assumes she believes. She swiftly counters this by telling him that obviously the Earth is a sphere because it casts a circular shadow on the moon during an eclipse.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The one that seems most miraculous is the Terra Australis theory, where ancient greeks (????) assumed that there must be a counterbalanced land mass at the south pole because it just didn't seem reasonable that all the land mass is in the northern hemisphere. 2/3 of the land is in the northern hemisphere but what do you know their totally specious reasoning turned out to accurately predict the existence of Antarctica.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

There's a scene in Horizon: Zero Dawn where Sylens is explaining Earth's technological past to Aloy, shows her a hologram of a globe, and smugly tells her that the Earth is round, not flat like he assumes she believes. She swiftly counters this by telling him that obviously the Earth is a sphere because it casts a circular shadow on the moon during an eclipse.

I have no idea how Gonzales went from FNV to the schlocky nonsense in HZ.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I guess you could use parallax to calculate the distance to the moon. You need some kind of star occultation so you can observe position relative to the background, but that’s easy, moon occults various planets every year. If you can do that with angle measurements in two different places at the same time, and you know how far apart the two places are (not too bad with Roman road markers), I think you can estimate the distance with trigonometry. The hard part is synchrony. maybe with fancy water clocks?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Arglebargle III posted:

The one that seems most miraculous is the Terra Australis theory, where ancient greeks (????) assumed that there must be a counterbalanced land mass at the south pole because it just didn't seem reasonable that all the land mass is in the northern hemisphere. 2/3 of the land is in the northern hemisphere but what do you know their totally specious reasoning turned out to accurately predict the existence of Antarctica.

Any idea what their thoughts on gravity were?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pretty heavy

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is there a good book on how ancient Rome (Republic?) managed and supplied it armies? Things like procurement of supplies and equipment, and then when out campaigning how armies were managed lead up to a battle? Like the whole process of mustering, equipping, training, keeping replenished, marching, forming up and battling?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there a good book on how ancient Rome (Republic?) managed and supplied it armies? Things like procurement of supplies and equipment, and then when out campaigning how armies were managed lead up to a battle? Like the whole process of mustering, equipping, training, keeping replenished, marching, forming up and battling?

Logistics of the Roman Army at War by Jonathan P Roth. Covers First Punic War to Third Century Crisis…not really sure why it doesn’t go later since there’s a lot of interesting logistical stuff you could analyze from the later empire. Anyway, awesome book, loads of primary source translations

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

skasion posted:

Logistics of the Roman Army at War by Jonathan P Roth. Covers First Punic War to Third Century Crisis…not really sure why it doesn’t go later since there’s a lot of interesting logistical stuff you could analyze from the later empire. Anyway, awesome book, loads of primary source translations

Thanks! Hopefully I can find it for not 300$ somewhere. :D

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kylaer posted:

Any idea what their thoughts on gravity were?

IIRC they had no idea that there is such a thing. They reasoned that all matter on Earth had a natural tendency to fall down, while celestial bodies were made of a different kind of matter that didn't.

e: I misremembered, it was only Earth and Water whose natural tendency was to fall, while Air and Fire were rising.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 26, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

I guess you could use parallax to calculate the distance to the moon. You need some kind of star occultation so you can observe position relative to the background, but that’s easy, moon occults various planets every year. If you can do that with angle measurements in two different places at the same time, and you know how far apart the two places are (not too bad with Roman road markers), I think you can estimate the distance with trigonometry. The hard part is synchrony. maybe with fancy water clocks?
I remember hearing about some Greek who arranged for simultaneous readings to be taken in Alexandria and somewhere in Athens and used that to derive a pretty close estimate of the Earth's circumfrence. Is this the same thing you're talking about?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Aristotle says the earth attracts stuff because it’s the center of the universe.

I found a Plutarch dialogue about the face in the moon! Had no idea this existed. Haven’t finished reading it yet but it seems like they’re weighing in on a lot of other astronomy/physics topics

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I found the book for 70$ USD. Also a pdf online for free, but for research I prefer the physical thing. I've ordered it. Thanks again. :)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

FreudianSlippers posted:

think giants are real but trees aren't.

Trees aren’t real taxonomically

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

I remember hearing about some Greek who arranged for simultaneous readings to be taken in Alexandria and somewhere in Athens and used that to derive a pretty close estimate of the Earth's circumfrence. Is this the same thing you're talking about?

This sounds like Eratosthenes’ calculation (he used Aswan and Alexandria, I guess since measuring overland distance precisely would have been much easier than oversea). Carl Sagan does a memorable demo of it in Cosmos. It has the big advantage that it’s based on measurements of shadows taken at noon on the summer solstice—no clock required, so long as you have people in both cities taking consistent observations on the right day. Calculation made easier by the fact that Aswan is on the tropic (ie, at noon on summer solstice there is no shadow because the sun is at the zenith, dead overhead) so you can conclude that whatever the angle of the shadow is in Alexandria, is more or less the same fraction of a circle as the Aswan-Alexandria distance is a fraction of the circumference of the earth.

The moon parallax thing would be a bit harder because you have to compare the angular distance from the moon to your chosen reference star, as taken in two different places at the same time. That will give you a triangle with two long legs, from each viewpoint to the moon, where you don’t know the distance but you do know the angle between. If you know the distance between two viewpoints, that’s the short side of the triangle (technically it would be a line through the curve of the earth, not the measured surface distance, so your calculation will be a bit off anyway, but hopefully not by too much b/c the moon is much farther away than any two points on earth). If you divide that short side in half, you can divide the triangle into two right triangles where you know all the angles and one of the side lengths, and from there you can calculate the distance from the midpoint between your viewpoints to the moon. The big issue here (for me to wrap my head around anyway, I don’t really get how the Greeks did math) is how you make sure that your initial angular measurements of the apparent distance between the moon and the chosen reference star are correct. Even if you’re thousands of miles apart the difference is not going to be a huge angle, and if the measurements aren’t correctly synchronized you’re likely to be way off.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

the yeti posted:

Trees aren’t real taxonomically

I love taxonomy, where mammals are fish and crocodiles are more bird than lizard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Birds are dinosaurs you know

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Google suggested that you can do something with the amount of time lunar eclipses last and the known length of orbit of the moon (because that's the length of a lunar cycle). Though I'm not sure how you arrive at the correct calculations in a geocentric model

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

FishFood posted:

I love taxonomy, where mammals are fish and crocodiles are more bird than lizard.

Blame your lying eyes for thinking that trees, reptiles and fish are as phylogenetically meaningful as mammals, birds and flowers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

One guy in the 17th century accidentally discovered the speed of light observing the moons of Jupiter but it took someone else reviewing his observations much later to realize the significance of his findings.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Arglebargle III posted:

One guy in the 17th century accidentally discovered the speed of light observing the moons of Jupiter but it took someone else reviewing his observations much later to realize the significance of his findings.

Something similar happened to my uncle Einar once. He was very drunk and accidentally discovered Cold Fusion and wrote it down on a bar napkin but he can't understand his own handwriting so it's up to someone who might decipher the napkin a few centuries from now.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Arglebargle III posted:

Ole Rømer. He correctly realized that the speed of light was finite, but didn't calculate it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Note that Euclid said 'the big flaw with this whole extramission theory of vision is that stars are hella far away and if you open your eyes at night you see them instantly, and it doesn't seem like shooting out a beam from your eyes and it coming back would happen instantly, seems like light should propagate at a finite speed'

Taishi Ci
Apr 12, 2015

quote:

As a young child, the future Emperor Ming of Jin was seated in the audience chamber with his father when a messenger arrived from the distant city of Chang'an. His father took the opportunity to ask him, "Which do you suppose is farther away: Chang'an, or the Sun?"

The boy replied, "It must be the Sun; people arrive here from Chang'an, but no one has ever come here from the Sun."

Impressed by his son's reasoning, at a feast the following day his father asked him the same question again. Yet this time the future Emperor replied, "I think Chang'an is farther."

His father blanched and said, "Why is your answer different from yesterday?"

The boy replied, "Because you can see the Sun from here, but you can't see Chang'an." Such was his precociousness.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tulip posted:

Which church? I usually think people mean the Catholic Church when they say "the Church" capital-C and the Catholics are pretty into universal human rights, but also they would absolutely not give a poo poo about Englishmens' rights in specific since the English do not have any particularly privileged position in Catholicism, so is this an Anglican-Catholic difference?

I was thinking of Catholics in France specifically - and I would invite you to consider whether 'universal' for them at the time included the perfidious Musselman, the atheist or indeed (as we can see from the middle ages on numerous occasions) Jewish people. As I say, rights for Christians in Christendom is a different matter and obviously goes back a lot further - but you gotta be Christian first.

The 'Englishmens' rights' thing is separate, this is the whole Norman Yoke idea the Levellers etc come up with during/before/after the English Civil War, and yes the Catholic Church obviously doesn't give a fig about that idea.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 28, 2024

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lol hell yes, this is the kind of advanced sycophancy I live for

feedmegin posted:

I was thinking of Catholics in France specifically - and I would invite you to consider whether 'universal' for them at the time included the perfidious Musselman, the atheist or indeed (as we can see from the middle ages on numerous occasions) Jewish people. As I say, rights for Christians in Christendom is a different matter and obviously goes back a lot further - but you gotta be Christian first.

The 'Englishmens' rights' thing is separate, this is the whole Norman Yoke idea the Levellers etc come up with during/before/after the English Civil War, and yes the Catholic Church obviously doesn't give a fig about that idea.

Why did you use the present tense to discuss events from 1000 years ago? Why are you talking about the impact of Enlightenment ideas on medieval thought?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tulip posted:

lol hell yes, this is the kind of advanced sycophancy I live for

Why did you use the present tense to discuss events from 1000 years ago? Why are you talking about the impact of Enlightenment ideas on medieval thought?

I am trying to put the 18th century idea of universal human rights in the context of previous not-universal-but-heading-gradually towards-it ideas of rights for specific but larger and larger communities in the run-up to that.

I'm certainly not talking about the 21st century and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Edit: if you mean 'the Church is quite specifically unhappy about' um, well, that's a fairly common figure of speech and has an implicit 'at the time' attached to it, I'm not saying Pope Francis is fuming about it. Fair point though I should have noticed that was ambiguous.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 28, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Would an anglo-saxon and a fresh-off-the-boat viking have been able to understand each other at all?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Would an anglo-saxon and a fresh-off-the-boat viking have been able to understand each other at all?

Yeah. Old english is very closely related to all the old germanic languages. It's mutually intelligible with modern Frisian dialects, for example.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Ehhhh, I don't think that's quite right. The North German languages were and are pretty distinct from those on the continent. English's creolization and grammar simplification happened upon contact with Norse languages, which implies that they were not very mutually intelligible at all.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can sometimes kinda sorta puzzle the meaning out of Old English texts as an Icelandic speaker.

I imagine it was a lot easier back in Old Norse times when pronunciation was somewhat different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FishFood posted:

Ehhhh, I don't think that's quite right. The North German languages were and are pretty distinct from those on the continent. English's creolization and grammar simplification happened upon contact with Norse languages, which implies that they were not very mutually intelligible at all.

Skip / ship, skirt / shirt, not that far.

See also https://scholarcommons.sc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3637&context=etd (“it has become the general consensus that post-migration Old English and Old Norse had enjoyed a relatively long period in which they could understand one another,”)

And https://blogs.bl.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2016/12/a-reindeer-farmer-at-king-alfreds-court.html (“This is a story about a gift-giving man, who lived in the ‘north-most’ place and owned 600 reindeer. Sounds like anyone familiar? Well, he wasn't Santa, if that was what you were thinking. The man in question was Ohthere, an intrepid explorer from medieval Scandinavia, who visited the court of King Alfred the Great in the late 9th century and told the king about his travels. We know Ohthere's story from a 10th-century manuscript held at the British Library,”)