Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I liked Barbie better than Oppenheimer. I think a lot of the disconnect is that Barbie was a fun movie that dealt with women’s issues; and women’s issues are kind of by default assumed to be less important and less weighty than men’s issues like building a big bomb. So even though Barbie covers things pretty head on and important to society like patriarchy, commercialization, etc; it’s categorized along with Marvel stuff and the Academy made sure it wasn’t gonna be seriously considered as though it were a real movie.

But, on the other, other hand: Oppenheimer had nude Florence Pugh so it was the better movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Cacator posted:

Well yeah. We gotta explore what made them so hungry in the first place.

There will be 3 separate movies that end with the message that the hippos have finally become hungry. All the hippos will die in the fourth movie without ever becoming hungry.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

But, on the other, other hand: Oppenheimer had nude Florence Pugh so it was the better movie.

I'm not falling for that trick again. Not after Don't Worry Darling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Outpost22 posted:

Bottoms love Barbie?

I liked Barbie but I looooved Bottoms. Just a fun goofy comedy with stellar leads. Ayo Edebiri is low key god drat hilarious

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

kalel posted:

I agree with your points but I'm lower overall on it. it felt too pleased with itself, like it was expecting to be adored. kind of like mrs. clinton
yeah I could see that, like getting cutesy. The only moment I outright HATED was the 4th-wall break about Robbie being too hot. An unforced error; the premise is ridiculous but/so let's stay in it. Let some other average-looking character side-eye Barbie or something if the movie needs that beat (and I don't think it did)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

priznat posted:

I liked Barbie but I looooved Bottoms. Just a fun goofy comedy with stellar leads. Ayo Edebiri is low key god drat hilarious

bottoms was great, it really does need more attention

just a completely unhinged comedy

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

TIP posted:

bottoms was great, it really does need more attention

just a completely unhinged comedy

The ending got wild lmao

My favourite line: “they don’t hate us because we’re gay, they hate us because we’re ugly and untalented” lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
there was some movie a few years ago about a guy dying I think and trying to make the best of his time remaining and I think it was a comedy? Ring any bells? It's not the bucket list though it feels in that vein. I thought it starred ed helms but checking his filmography this doesn't seem the case. I've never seen the movie.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Milo and POTUS posted:

there was some movie a few years ago about a guy dying I think and trying to make the best of his time remaining and I think it was a comedy? Ring any bells? It's not the bucket list though it feels in that vein. I thought it starred ed helms but checking his filmography this doesn't seem the case. I've never seen the movie.

Up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Funny people?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

priznat posted:

The ending got wild lmao

My favourite line: “they don’t hate us because we’re gay, they hate us because we’re ugly and untalented” lol

Never seen a trailer or anything for this movie but you have single-handedly convinced me to watch this

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ikiru

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

MarcusSA posted:

Funny people?

Funny Games?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Gutcruncher posted:

Never seen a trailer or anything for this movie but you have single-handedly convinced me to watch this

Ikiru

There was also that British Ikiru remake with Bill Nighy called Living.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's two things that the internet seems to agree on every year. The first is that The Oscars is the most outdated, irrelevant award that no one should ever care about and its just old people living in their own echo chamber and hasn't mattered for years now. The second thing is that whoever got nominated/snubbed this year is an absolute travesty and everyone should be big mad about it for reasons.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

50/50 with Seth Rogan and Joseph-Gordon Levitt

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Milo and POTUS posted:

50/50 OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hm that's not it. I think it had a more california desert feel. Oh this is impossible

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hm that's not it. I think it had a more california desert feel. Oh this is impossible

Mad max

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My mother the car

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Dune.

But like the David Lynch one.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

normally would never recommend a trip to CD but desperate times call for desperate measures

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Hmm, is it Paddleton?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh cool that's it. Yeah I'm not gonna watch it but thanks

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Funny People was so tremendously weird. It was back in 2009, the same year the WTF podcasts started and before the whole world was sick to loving death of comics talking about what their lives are like. It was clearly Apatow trying really hard to make a personal statement and capture the weird dynamics that exist for people trying to make it in comedy. A world where you might know and work with literal multi-millionaire celebrities while you have to have a fast food job to make rent on the 1-bedroom apartment you are sharing with 4 other comics. And where you might end up hitting the fame lottery yourself and becoming a multi-millionaire yourself, completely alienating yourself from all of your friends.

For example, there's no way that moments like the Thanksgiving scene weren't based on some real-life poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jjmx8Axp6E

But I think it didn't work because it was such a personal story. It was way way way too long. It either needed to focus on the Sandler character realizing and trying to overcome his isolation or it needed to focus on the Seth Rogan character trying to make it.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'd like to put the duplas brothers in a big jar and watch them slowly asphyxiate

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

I really miss comedies like this where it is just silly poo poo being performed by a talented funny cast. Book smart was my last fav why is it they are all about high school misfits?? lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

priznat posted:

I really miss comedies like this where it is just silly poo poo being performed by a talented funny cast. Book smart was my last fav why is it they are all about high school misfits?? lol

If Book Smart was a 30 Rock episode, it would be Bottoms.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

If Book Smart was a 30 Rock episode, it would be Bottoms.

Wasn’t there some Tina Fey project in the works or was that just the mean girls revival? I want more 30 rock style stuff.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

30 rock gives such consistent laughs. i dont know what i think the funniest tv show of all time is, but it might be 30 rock

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

priznat posted:

Wasn’t there some Tina Fey project in the works or was that just the mean girls revival? I want more 30 rock style stuff.

I do, too. But I don't trust the 2024 Tina Fey to be able to bring it to us.

As far as I know, other than the Mean Girls musical she's mostly been touring her live comedy show with Amy Poehler and being set up by Lorne Michaels to take over as Executive Producer of SNL when he finally dies.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

I do, too. But I don't trust the 2024 Tina Fey to be able to bring it to us.

As far as I know, other than the Mean Girls musical she's mostly been touring her live comedy show with Amy Poehler and being set up by Lorne Michaels to take over as Executive Producer of SNL when he finally dies.

Bah I want none of that!!

Back to 30 rock clips I suppose.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

For example, there's no way that moments like the Thanksgiving scene weren't based on some real-life poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jjmx8Axp6E

Fwiw I’m 99% sure he said on Stern that the thanksgiving scene was essentially real lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

funny people is so boring

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can’t stand Sandler at all. I just can’t watch anything he’s in. He seems fine as a person I just don’t like his shtick. Ditto Seth Rogen.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I will check out Bottoms tonight as well

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
best part of Funny People is the fake lowest-common-denominator dipshit comedy movie trailers

made more entertaining in retrospect by the fact that Jack and Jill is essentially one of these

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

That kind of sounds like Nebraska but that's in black and white so you'd have probably remembered that detail.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

priznat posted:

I can’t stand Sandler at all. I just can’t watch anything he’s in. He seems fine as a person I just don’t like his shtick. Ditto Seth Rogen.

uncut gems is goated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

Crescent Wrench posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOTCMfLniTc

You know how sometimes Mike says "This is the worst thing I've ever seen"?

Balki Bartokomous walked so that whatever the gently caress that is could run...