Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

It's extremely good if you are using it in conjunction with something that can create Wet surfaces (i.e. create/destroy water) because it is then a guaranteed Freeze on whatever you are attacking and then double Cold damage after that. It makes the most sense if you are fully investing in a Cold-based build, otherwise there are better early game options.

Is there a sort of guide on the classes and gear and spells you use to max out the cold stuff or the lightning oriented builds or the reverb/thunder stuff? That's something I've never really done.

BurritoJustice posted:

If you put dual wielder on gale he can use both!

It's unintuitive but Dual Wielder is strongest on mages in this game.

Yeah it felt weird putting dual wield on my wizard but wielding two quarterstaffs completely owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

BurritoJustice posted:

Lol poo poo I never thought of that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trying to multiclass Wizard usually just leaves you weaker since their strongest class-defining features are at Level 10 and you have 1 less Feat to work with. No other classes share INT as a mainstat anyway so there's very little synergy outside of Sorc for Quickened Spell and long resting after every fight because you have no points left. Better to just take them to 12/12 for more 6th level spells and the satisfaction of being a nerd who saves the day.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Crafting is barely a thing in 5e

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Eifert Posting posted:

It's just odd that this is such a reactive and nuanced game but they just said "no" to crafting.

Not really, unlike every other dev that feels the need to throw every buzzword into a game, Larian were smart enough to realise that crafting ruins RPGs.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was extremely happy that crafting was kept to a minimum and I hope that trend continues.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I am very ok with crafting not being a thing. BG3 very clearly had a mission and even without crafting the inventory management is super tedious, can’t loving imagine how horrible it would be with crafting supplies

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

Not really, unlike every other dev that feels the need to throw every buzzword into a game, Larian were smart enough to realise that crafting ruins RPGs.

Agree to disagree I guess. One of the best aspects of Neverwinter Nights 2 was the crafting system. They did a great job of incorporating it in an organic way that didn't reduce the usefulness of found equipment. To me the biggest fault with BG3's gameplay is that it can be a bit prescriptivist when it comes to character equipment and design.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's good that crafting is minimal in BG3, and even then it can be a bit frustrating if you're trying to source a lot of a specific elixir or grenade late in act 3 if the components don't want to show up on merchants.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've kinda stopped engaging with crafting systems in any game that will let me. The mechanic itself is satisfying but there's always some combination of janky UI, inventory management and grinding for ogre butts that take time away from actually playing the game.

Guess I'd actually prefer paying some gold and choosing a specific thing from a menu.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How does crafting work in tabletop?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

How does crafting work in tabletop?

There’s barely rules for it and it takes weeks of in game time. It sucks and it slows the game down to an unbearable degree

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There are ways to not have the complete sprawling crafting system without limiting people's options. Say you want a particular kind of weapon but it doesn't exist in the game.

Use the little combine window they already have to plug a standard battle axe or whatever and a completely different magical weapon in the other. A certain amount of experience or gold disappears and the magical effect from item b gets transferred to item 1. Plenty of games have done something like that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The problem with crafting in RPGs is that it undermines one of the key gameplay hooks of the genre, which is the thrill of exploring a dungeon and finding treasure; or killing a boss and taking their weapon; or even just going shopping after you loot a bunch of stuff from a dungeon - and instead replaces it with boring inane tedium and busywork like grinding maps for ore spawns.

It kinda makes sense in the context of an MMO and a player driven economy but it absolutely ruins single player games.

Note I’m taking traditional heroes go adventuring RPGs here, not like; life Sim RPGs like stardew valley or things like terraria that are more Freeform /creativity driven.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I like crafting because it’s just a different kind of power. In DOS2 the skill five star diner really shined when you took advantage to craft elixirs or draughts. 200% elemental resists +44 Initiative I don’t even remember the movement speed numbers but Fane was moving. I don’t like Larians rng for vendors because as time progresses more items unlock so you are less likely to see useful low level items like see invisibility / invisibility scrolls.

I didn’t like Midnight Suns crafting however. WOTR crafting system was handy since I liked having haste scrolls and heal potions but you couldn’t craft magic items. I wanted a drat rod of quickened hexes.

I will also add that crafting adds another avenue for poor itemization to be covered. For instance BG3 really likes handing out the +CHA and +STR boosts.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I am very ok with crafting not being a thing. BG3 very clearly had a mission and even without crafting the inventory management is super tedious, can’t loving imagine how horrible it would be with crafting supplies

I would be very ok with crafting not being a thing in any of the games I play

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

bird with big dick posted:

Is there a sort of guide on the classes and gear and spells you use to max out the cold stuff or the lightning oriented builds or the reverb/thunder stuff? That's something I've never really done.

There are a lot of guides you can look up on youtube. Most are some variation on the Storm Sorc / Tempest Cleric build where you put 2 points into Tempest Domain for the Channel Divinity spell that lets you do maximum lightning or thunder damage, then Storm Sorcery for Quickened Spell. Use your bonus action to create a water surface, fire up call/chain lightning, then use your channel divinity reaction to do HUGE CRITZ. Some people also put 1 point in Wizard to scribe Chain Lightning since you won't get it naturally with this build (at which point you use INT as your mainstat instead of CHA), but I personally find that to be unnecessary if you're using Markoheshkir as your endgame staff.

Right now I'm trying out a Frost Sorc variant where you pump up the damage of your Ray of Frost cantrip and blow all your Sorcery points to spam quickened/twinned rays at everyone, creating ice surfaces and making enemies fall prone everywhere. I've just started but the basic setup for this is...

Draconic Bloodline Sorc (White) - Armor of Agathys
Mourning Frost - Underdark
Winter's Clutches - Lady Esther in Mountain Pass
Necklace of Elemental Augmentation - Githyanki Creche
Snowburst Ring - Last Light Inn
Potent Robe - Last Light Inn
Coldbrim Hat - Moonrise Towers

You can take ASI as your first Feat or Dual Wield with the Spellsparkler if you plan on nabbing +1 CHA from auntie.

At some point I'll also put 1 point into Cleric for Create Water, probably at Level 7.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Very thankful there’s no crafting.

I finally beat this thing last night, ending was epic albeit lacking some polish.

Spoilers for Game Ending

The stupid exploding brine brains in the Morphic Pool managed to launch my Main Character 20m directly into a chasm. Lost all my buffs.

Really enjoyed the courtyard fight and run up to the brainstem, I felt very powerful and liked summoning allies.

Netherbrain fight phase 1 was awesome, I chucked a doppelgänger off the top with telekinesis, then summoned a million allies to distract the dragon. Rushed Emperor to the Crown and opened the portal.

With half my party in the portal and the other half back on the brain, the camera started jumping around like crazy. Every single NPC turn caused a strobing effect as the game rapidly screen wiped between the two areas. It was horrible. In the chaos - somehow my Tav and Astarion got marked for negation and just died instantly. I realized I was about to lose the loving fight as Emperor wasn’t doing much and Karlach was my only person in the portal.

I had two tiny platforms left, super far away from the boss. I rezzed Astarion and had everyone pop Psychic resistance potions (should have done this earlier). My PC stayed dead because he was out of Bardic inspirations and therefore not particularly helpful anyway. Gale finally hauled rear end into the portal and I had him pop a speed potion. Then he started laying down Chain Lightnings because I was out of range for Disintegrate. I barely killed the brain in time. Felt appropriately epic.

I got the Smoke ‘Em if You Got Em Heavy Metal Hell ending with my wife Karlach. I saw I had the option to bring Wyll with us too, (he decided to become the Blade of AVERNUS) but I didn’t invite him.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/6198 Anyone have any experience with the previous version of this mod? Honestly tempted to try it. 🤷‍♂️

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
I did not realize my player character dying and being resurrected meant losing all permanent conditions until deep into my second playthrough. At least I only lost about an hour of progress before noticing! One eldritch blast knocking me into a pit and I lose all my buffs.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Planning out my edgelord evil[ish] durge custom run will split the saves near the end for embracing and redemption :

Durge: Race undetermined but I'm absolutely gonna make someone edgy and evil looking so I'm open to suggestions.
Oathbreaker 7/warlock 5 whatever patron but open to something else.
SH: gloomstalker ranger 5/whatever cleric 7 Going Sharran for darkness spam
Astarion: Monk 8 thief 4?
Lae'zel: ............. give eldritch knight a chance maybe combo with abjuration wizard?
Wyll: being kept in for the robe and then he's getting sacrificed to BAOOOL
Karlach: Her head will look good on stake
Minthara: staying as a veng paladin?
Gale: Either he's giving me a hand :mrgw: or he's going either full divination or evocation.
How does that look?

Jaheria and Minsc: will attempt to recruit both, have no idea what to do with them in general but they will be sacrificed in the embraced path
Also looking for advice on how much of a bad influence I should be on my party members.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 25, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do you guys switch between party members or just still with the one set

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jay Rust posted:

I have 2 who are almost always there and 1 I swap out for individual quests. Usually it's Shadowheart and either Karlach or Astarion for my main guys.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jay Rust posted:

2 that are always there, one flexible spot for specific quests (because this evolved from "I don't like Astarion but I need someone for locks and traps", pretty much everyone in this spot got some sort of Bard/Rogue/Ranger multiclass respec for Sleight of Hand that was even, somehow, on theme)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I always say this run is the one where I'll swap out Lae'zel for someone else, but that cranky githyanki has got too much stanky to banky.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

jasoneatspizza posted:

I did not realize my player character dying and being resurrected meant losing all permanent conditions until deep into my second playthrough. At least I only lost about an hour of progress before noticing! One eldritch blast knocking me into a pit and I lose all my buffs.

I too am deep into my second playthrough and was wondering what happened to all of my permanent buffs. That explains things.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The most upsetting thing the camp NPCs do in this entire game is refer to you as their leader/boss.

Listen I may be the unwilling spawn and slave to the literal god of murderhobos but I am not management. Words hurt.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Eifert Posting posted:

Some of the equipment choices for this game are baffling to me. It's almost impossible to get Bhaal so hard's armor without a very particular kind of run or console commands and it basically single-handedly makes Asti viable in the late game. I don't think I'll ever play through BG3 without just spawning the item in in the console and throwing like 5,000 gold into the ocean.

Unless you want to get into a ton of multi-classing shenanigans he's basically tickling people at the end game without it.

If Astarion is only "tickling" then you aren't using Rogue right: Rogues get to deliver somewhere between 17-21 damage at the end of the game on every successful sneak attack, not including their actual weapon damage. All you need is advantage or an adjacent player to trigger it, which should be relatively easy to build a comp for. It does mean you have to have someone who is actually getting into enemys' business (or you need to have the Risky Ring from Act 2, but I can understand some people missing that, because hell, I did on my first run).

The Bhaalist Armor isn't really a gamechanger in that regard, and in fact you can pick up a number of other items that are way more impactful to Astarion:

- Duelist's Perogative is the big one. This effectively lets you dual-wield with a single weapon, and grants you an additional Reaction per turn (which you then can use to deal additional damage). This works well if you're a Thief because you get extra bonus actions, but Assassin can benefit from it as well.
- Render of Mind and Body: You're probably going to be attack with Advantage more than you aren't, which means triggering extra damage on this weapon is dead simple.
- Ambusher: Probably one of the single best weapons in the game for Assassin builds.
- Slicing Shortsword: Again, triggers on Advantage and you're a Rogue.
- Crimson Mischief + Bloodthirst: Pretty much endgame for a melee dual-wielder.

Now, in terms of Light Armor, I agree there's very little fun unique stuff for a Rogue beyond the Bhaalist Armor, though Elegant Studded Leather is a good pick, imho. (e: Or just get Elven Chain, you can literally buy it in Act 3 and Astarion can wear it regardless.)

I only listed Melee weapons because presumably if you're using ranged you'd have Sharpshooter.

I just don't really know how you're only 'tickling' people with Astarion if you actually understand how Sneak Attack works.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 25, 2024

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Reliably doing 30 or 40 damage isn't much in act 3. If you don't multiclass He's attacking once unlike like basically every other character.

The first time I attacked after adding in the item I mentioned he did 101 damage. It's a bit different.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If you want him attacking more than once you go Thief and dual wield. That's what it's there for.

I feel like calling 30-40 damage on average in Act 3 "tickling" is the real misnomer. You don't need the item you mentioned for him to be competitive unless you're being a ruthless "everyone must have 2 levels of fighter or sorc" level mixmaxer.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I specifically did not do that and he was not keeping up. This is not a personal attack man we can disagree.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That armor is a nice bonus but if dealing 50 damage instead of 100 is tickling compared to the rest of your team then your team damage output is probably high enough that you don't really need it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Chilchack philosophy. Just here to pick locks, peek traps, and drop 50 damage a turn. Anything else is not in the job description.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Eifert Posting posted:

Reliably doing 30 or 40 damage isn't much in act 3. If you don't multiclass He's attacking once unlike like basically every other character.

The first time I attacked after adding in the item I mentioned he did 101 damage. It's a bit different.

Thief, daggers + hand crossbows and that’s sneak attack plus 2 attacks independent whether you are ranged or melee per turn plus minus requiring to rehide- which by act 3 is not usually a requirement for setting up sneak attacks anymore. Add the insane mobility of two bonus actions and cunning action and Astarion has been my go-to “remove this target” the entire game and never feels like he isn’t pulling his weight. He also reliably either starts thanks to massive init bonus or is the one character you can very reliably place wherever you want prior to adding him to existing fight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Runa posted:

The Chilchack philosophy. Just here to pick locks, peek traps, and drop 50 damage a turn. Anything else is not in the job description.

"Quiet quitter" Astarion

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I just cheesed Mother Superior by having Astarion wear the misty step boots and a misty step scroll to MS next to her (bonus action 1) receive 8 barrels of smokepowder and 2 boxes of fireworks through inventory teleport from Karlach (free) drop them all, (free) misty step out (bonus action 2) and shoot a fire arrow. (Action)

Sanctuary that, shadow lady.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BurritoJustice posted:

Does this let me get away with 2x "your next cast doesn't consume a spell slot"? :sickos:

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I'm having a blast on my first run with Drow spore druid. Dual wielding hand crossbows to do tons of damage from my spores in the early game, then I switch to some spell like call lightning or moonbeam as the action and a bonus action bolt later. I'm level 7 now and have my little army of fungus zombies but they never seem very relevant - usually they just get in the way of my other party members in turn one and most of the enemies are dead by the time they can get in range. I'm wondering if maybe rather than making them first thing after a long rest I'd be better off doing it combat so they'd be right in the thick of things.

I assumed spore druids smell terrible, so named my character "a lil' Stinker" to make dialogue funny when introducing himself. It was hilarious when Lae'zel was all "I like your smell" when she initiated romance. I'm ride or die for her now as no one else could possibly put up with that stank.

I also have Karlach as a throw barb and something I've learnt is throwing drow poison always puts enemies to sleep. You'll get a pop up saying they saved sometimes but that seems to refer to the poison cloud that is also created, but they'll still always snooze as far as I can tell. So in addition to doing tons of ranged damage she's actually pretty good at disabling problem characters.

My other slot is Asterion as a open hand monk and then kinda a wild card. Shadowheart is dead because she tried to kill my bae'zel. I'm currently rocking gale as a wild sorcerer/lightning cleric but I stupidly chose the bow from florrick so I can't get the lightning charge build fully specced out. Is it possible to make your companions into oathbreakers? Because that'd be on point for my Lae'zel after losing her faith in the Queen, as well as maybe combining well with my undead legion. On that note, I had her with me in the creche and her rationalisations as her belief system was crumbling was awesome. My completely emasculated character was initially going along with her (including trying to kill the guardian because she would be mad if I didn't follow the queen's orders) but once Voss showed up at camp we helped her realise that the Queen really isn't just testing her faith. I'm excited to see where that goes.

I'm currently in Act 2 and I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring Gale along to where ever he's supposed to explode himself. Like is there a cool narrative moment where he'll wuss out or something? Don't tell me what happens just whether it'll do anything but give the option of immediately ending the game

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Further Reading posted:

I'm currently in Act 2 and I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring Gale along to where ever he's supposed to explode himself. Like is there a cool narrative moment where he'll wuss out or something? Don't tell me what happens just whether it'll do anything but give the option of immediately ending the game

There’s a moment. Bring him. Honestly? Save first and let him do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My Eldritch Blast warlock has gotten much better since hitting level 5 and getting +1 to charisma from a quest item. I've also started to get gear to upgrade spell attack, which helps.

That brought up a question, though. Necklace of Elemental Augmentation adds your spellcasting modifier when you do elemental damage with a cantrip. If I eldritch blast someone and it gets the 1d4 from Phalar Aluve's Shriek, does that count as the cantrip doing it so I'd get the extra 5 damage from my 20 charisma?

Shadowheart question: I dipped a level of fighter at 1 to get her constitution save proficiency, but I'm wondering if it would be better to just keep her pure cleric and get Resilient in constitution with a feat, so as not to lose out on spellcasting levels. She's doing the spirit guardians/radiant orb build. I run a peerless focus elixir whenever I'm planning on having big fights, but having a concentration save failure is a huge setback for her and it's hard to find focus elixirs regularly this early in the game. Also, for people who have run the build, how important is spell save DC? I'm wondering if I should focus on constitution with wisdom secondary and 14 dex for AC.

I've made Lae'zel a polearm master battlemaster and I'm wondering if there's synergies to go with there. Between her attack on entering threatened range and Shadowheart's spirit guardians they can shut down a hallway really well, but her damage isn't great unless I use Great Weapon Master as my second feat, which seems kind of overdone and reduces accuracy.