Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fits my needs posted:

wow, he should go to more coldplay concerts

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just the attitude of a country outside of the west (any country) has something new the west should learn from and copy from is a very rare attitude. Can't say I heard it from an English talking head last time.

Still, he spent more than half that segment disclaiming he was not a "pro-China guy" lol.

The reason for this is because he wasn't privately educated 100%. Novara are tiny and an anomly in britain because otherwise the only way generally you're becoming a talking head/columnist is private education > oxford/cambridge so they're all a bunch of psychos who don't actually know anything but are sure of their authority on everything. There are rare examples and I assume this is true in the US too.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
im in china for the first time atm and i cant stop solemnly saying china #1 under my breath

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

swimsuit posted:

im in china for the first time atm and i cant stop solemnly saying china #1 under my breath

china whips eat a lamb skewer enjoy the public spaces and transportation system

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

swimsuit posted:

which city? get some hot pot

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

swimsuit posted:

levon wei was right all along

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Three Myanmar generals sentenced to death after surrender

So the Myanmar junta Min Aung Hlaing put 3 of his generals to death. It was pretty surprising because the general who was fighting the rebel alliance was happily drinking baijiu with the rebel guys after they signed the ceasefire agreement.

Here is Tun Tun Myint signing the paper, guy has a funny name and funny face that's why I remember him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcfP1mIQyBI
https://x.com/Jason_Tower79/status/1743578066063142912?s=20

Obviously he didn't know he was going to be thrown under the bus and take the blame for losing.

There is almost no report of the conflict but I guess we can judge from the fallout that the Junta consider a real lose and Min felt insecurity of his own power.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some more projection from the failing US Military

https://www.businessinsider.com/china-doesnt-have-military-power-invade-taiwan-experts-csis-us-2024-1?amp

Also is it a bad sign that the draft law for curbing predatory gatcha is no longer on the regulators website?

https://www.reuters.com/technology/china-regulator-removes-draft-video-game-rules-website-shares-jump-2024-01-23/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Marcos regime released a statement today that, in breaking with years of precedent, they are no longer going to postpone the implementation of the Jeepney Modernization Program, which will force thousands of public transportation drivers to become subsumed into corporatized transport firms and accept onerous loan terms to procure "modernized" jeepneys.

The current deadline is the end of this year, and they've not budged despite two separate transport strikes in as many months, with another slated before the New Year. They have another two weeks to blink - I don't know if they will, today's statement carried the impression of finality, but if they do this, it's going to worsen the country's transportation woes by an order of magnitude.

Quick update to this story:

https://twitter.com/cnnphilippines/status/1750103557909430345?t=xFk4ZMoLyPDpfpvnYqWFfw&s=19

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/newsvop/status/1749621220692377936?t=90J9aPc51Pd2XcthQfsP1g&s=19

New labour laws in South Korea to reinterpret overtime work.

They can have you work a 21 hour shift now, if I'm understanding correctly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Votskomit posted:

https://twitter.com/newsvop/status/1749621220692377936?t=90J9aPc51Pd2XcthQfsP1g&s=19

Finally. Lazy rear end mfers trying to sleep .

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Votskomit posted:

Kim, please, your occupied brethren yearn for liberation

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/tongbingxue/status/1749590710746259888

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Amphibious assaults are hard to do, a joint Sino-U.S. campaign would be unable to take Taiwan

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Final jeopardy! today was extremely funny, I thought the Asia thread might enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rtLw4ZqrKQ

average most well informed American understanding of Asian history

the two people who bet zero bucks ok i get them not knowing this but lol at betting every penny you have on twentieth century history when you cant answer a question this easy

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Financial Times

https://www.ft.com/content/bba68661-6c9b-41b5-ab74-d573b3a27c54

US urges China to help curb Red Sea attacks by Iran-backed Houthis
Demetri Sevastopulo and Felicia Schwartz in Washington and Wenjie Ding in Beijing
Yesterday

The US has asked China to urge Tehran to rein in Iran-backed Houthi rebels attacking commercial ships in the Red Sea, but has seen little sign of help from Beijing, according to American officials.

Officials have repeatedly raised the matter with top Chinese officials in the past three months, asking them to convey a warning to Iran not to inflame tensions in the Middle East after Hamas’s October 7 attack on Israel and the ensuing war.

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan and his deputy, Jon Finer, discussed the issue in meetings this month in Washington with Liu Jianchao, head of the Chinese Communist party’s international department, according to US officials. Secretary of state Antony Blinken also raised it, said a state department official.

But US officials said there was little evidence China had put any pressure on Iran to restrain the Houthis, beyond a mild statement Beijing issued last week calling on “relevant parties” to ensure safe passage for vessels sailing through the Red Sea, a critical shipping route for global trade.

On Wednesday, the Chinese foreign ministry said Beijing was calling for a stop to “disturbance to civilian ships” and had “been in close communication with various parties and worked actively to alleviate the tension in the Red Sea”.

However, in veiled criticism of the US and UK attacks on the Houthis, the ministry urged the “relevant parties to avoid adding fuel to the fire”, adding that the UN Security Council had “never authorised the use of force by any country on Yemen”.

The Red Sea tension was also a “spillover” from the Gaza conflict, which should be ended as soon as possible, the ministry said.

The diplomatic push on Beijing comes as the US and allies continue to bomb Houthi positions in Yemen in response to at least 33 Houthi attacks on commercial vessels transiting the Red Sea since mid-November. The US and UK carried out widespread strikes again on Monday.

The Houthis are backed by Iran, which has enjoyed deeper commercial and diplomatic ties with China in recent years.

One official said the US would continue to raise the issue of Iran and the Houthi attacks with Beijing but was not particularly optimistic that China’s attitude would change.

Another US official said there had been “some signs” of China engaging on the issue, but not in a significant way. “I wouldn’t want to overstate either how much they’ve done or what impact it has had,” the official said.

John Kirby, National Security Council spokesperson, on Tuesday said Washington would “welcome a constructive role by China, using the influence and the access that we know they have to . . . help stem the flow of weapons, ammunitions to the Houthis”.

Liu, who is viewed as a top candidate to become Chinese foreign minister, travelled to Iran in December. His visit came days after US President Joe Biden and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, held a summit in San Francisco.

US officials had hoped Beijing would take action because it viewed the Houthi attacks as a menace to its own commercial interests, given that the Red Sea was a critical route for Chinese exports to Europe.

Ahead of the San Francisco summit, US officials repeatedly urged China to use whatever leverage it had with Iran — whose proxy groups in Iraq and Syria have also targeted American military bases — amid concerns that the Israel-Hamas war could spiral into a broader conflict in the Middle East.

Dennis Wilder, a former top CIA China expert now at Georgetown University, said Beijing had “worked assiduously” to court Middle Eastern nations, including Iran, for economic and geopolitical gain. But he said it would be “very reluctant to use its limited influence with the Islamic state in a way that it perceives advance US interests without benefit to China”.

US officials have also pressed the effort at the UN Security Council, where China is a permanent member, according to a second state department official.

The US has launched eight rounds of missile strikes on Houthi targets in Yemen over the past two weeks in response to the attacks on shipping, including the joint strike with the UK military on Monday.

Suzanne Maloney, head of foreign policy studies at the Brookings Institution, said she had discussed the issue with Chinese experts and had not detected any serious appetite to help.

“I think what they’ve calculated . . . is that this is a crisis that’s bogging the US and its partners down and it has not had a significant impact on Chinese shipping.”

Ma Xiaolin, a professor at Zhejiang International Studies University, said he believed Liu’s visit to Iran in December was not coincidental and that he would have conveyed Chinese demands regarding the need for security.

Ma, an expert on China’s relations with the Middle East, said: “China wishes for the restoration of peace in the Red Sea region and for international shipping to be secure, which aligns with the interests of all parties because this is an important global trade route.”

The Chinese embassy in the US said it had no details about the exchanges with Liu, but that China was concerned about the “escalating tension” in the Red Sea. The embassy said it served the common interests of the international community and that China urged “relevant parties to play a constructive and responsible role in keeping the Red Sea safe and stable”.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/longshortgamma/status/1748287775919706505

can't believe chinese tourists are depriving the rules-based international order of $130 billion

thinking about how obnoxious chinese tourists used to be this huge trope in south korea then after the thaad boycott started they just disappeared pretty much this completely tanked the jeju island tourist economy among other things so much for the special foreign travel visa

im not sure if anyone even remembers the thaad boycott at this point but the south korean government hasnt exactly been doing much to repair the damage given the moon administrations policy planks of more anti chinese racism and more convoluted paperwork which the current president has continued and which his opponent in the last presidential election had also promised to continue hence why we can see in the blink and youll miss it stat here that chinese tourism to south korea is still down big league compared even to prepandemic numbers let alone the ones from ten years ago

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

time for an ordering hash browns after 10:30 alliance

https://twitter.com/catielila/status/1750533197707071805

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
They are right.

Hashbrowns after 10:30 and fries before 10:30.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The hash browns is the crown jewel of the McDonald's menu

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Maximo Roboto posted:

time for an ordering hash browns after 10:30 alliance

https://twitter.com/catielila/status/1750533197707071805

That's not our policy. You have to order something from the lunch menu.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Huh, we have all day breakfast and a la carte hash browns in Australia.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Permanent McRib is the real story here

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
https://x.com/pdchina/status/1750594132106711415

https://x.com/collinrugg/status/1750519357023895875

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
7600 pounds of people's furniture, clothes and appliances. death to :burger:land and especially death to my old home of sacramento

i think my strongest memory of sacramento will forever be when i was on the light rail and cops made it take an unscheduled stop for ten minutes in the middle of nowhere in a greenbelt so they could get off and march over to brutalize a few homeless guys and smash their tents, since driving or walking there would have taken more effort

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Jan 25, 2024

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

7600 pounds of people's furniture, clothes and appliances. death to :burger:land and especially death to my old home of sacramento

undoubtedly identification documents and medicine too

still remember gavin newsome's commercial that showed him collecting and throwing away a homeless person's belongings

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol i went to high school like a mile from there, there were always rumors of the homeless living in caves along the riverbank. i guess they were true after all

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

atelier morgan posted:

i think my strongest memory of sacramento will forever be when i was on the light rail and cops made it take an unscheduled stop for ten minutes in the middle of nowhere in a greenbelt so they could get off and march over to brutalize a few homeless guys and smash their tents, since driving or walking there would have taken more effort

good news! this was modesto lol

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

bedpan posted:

undoubtedly identification documents and medicine too

still remember gavin newsome's commercial that showed him collecting and throwing away a homeless person's belongings

christ i loving hate gavbot

not having papers makes it nightmarishly impossible to get papers, ask me about not having valid id between my papers getting destroyed when an upstairs bathroom flooded through the ceiling and a spate of technical homelessness (short answer: it sucks)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

christ i loving hate gavbot

not having papers makes it nightmarishly impossible to get papers, ask me about not having valid id between my papers getting destroyed when an upstairs bathroom flooded through the ceiling and a spate of technical homelessness (short answer: it sucks)

as I am sure you understand, this is exactly the point

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Said about the "volunteers" that took all their belongings out

"Wasn't the first time they had been down here"

"We don't have a solution for this"

Hmmm.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

That's where the cave people had bodily fluid computation in Stephenson's Diamond Age.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

this reminds me of that story that went no where last year about homeless people living in the storm drains of las vegas

chinese history books are going to talk about the horrors found during the liberation of turtle island like we’re taught about ww2 germany

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ain't no one liberating america man. this place is a rabid animal to be left alone until it eats itself

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

I am

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

the two people who bet zero bucks ok i get them not knowing this but lol at betting every penny you have on twentieth century history when you cant answer a question this easy

only the person with the most money gets to keep it (and come back for the next show to play again to win more money) so the betting is usually more about what you need to win rather than how good you are at a topic

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

There are few periods in history that are as unique as Feudal Japan (also known as the Edo period) from the early 17th century to the Meiji Revolution in the late 19th century. Unlike other non-western countries that were colonized by European powers and converted to Christianity, the Japanese Shogunate managed to resist this influence and preserve its feudal system for almost an additional three centuries. Thus, for historians evaluating merits and drawbacks of Western colonization, the Edo period offers an ideal case study—as well as a fascinating setting for storytellers desiring a cultural alternative to the modern West.

On one hand, there were many virtues to Feudal Japan during this time. Generally speaking, it was a stable political setup where powers were balanced, and everyone knew their role. Additionally, this arrangement cultivated a strong social cohesion, resulting in a highly developed culture. Although it was technologically stagnant, there was nothing barbaric or ugly about their way of life. In many ways, it was more natural and human-scaled than what most Westerners experienced at the same time.

On the other hand, Feudal Japan took traditionalism to brutal excesses. Hierarchies were rigid and effectively stifled any social mobility. Most innovation was discouraged. Women were universally objectified, relegated to producing children and giving men pleasure. Nearly all minorities were ostracized and kept to the margins. And on top of this sat a parasitic class of lords and samurai who continually exploited the people under their dominion.

Of course, whether made in the West or the East, most movies and television series taking place in Feudal Japan tend to emphasize the positive points and downplay the negative aspects. It’s common to see a cast of stoic warriors exemplifying the virtues of Bushido fighting bravely for the sake of honor and tradition (e.g., The Last Samurai or Shogun). By contrast, it’s rare to see flawed human beings maintaining a corrupt system that immiserated the majority of the population.

Fortunately, a series that finally takes up the challenge of representing both the good and bad of Feudal Japan is Blue Eye Samurai, the new adult animated show on Netflix. The story takes place in Japan in the early 1600s, right after the Japanese Shogunate kicked all Europeans out of the country and closed its borders to outsiders. The protagonist is Mizu, a female samurai with blue eyes on a path of revenge against the handful of Europeans remaining in the country, one of whom might be her father. Because of her mixed racial heritage and sex, Mizu must hide her identity at all times.

At first glance, the premise (and streaming platform) of Blue Eye Samurai suggests yet another tedious tale of an over-powered girlboss taking down the patriarchy or an equally tedious anti-colonial fable of a virtuous non-Western culture triumphing over decadent Western occupiers. Fortunately, the series rises well above these tropes and delivers something that’s nuanced, realistic, and visually stunning.

All of this begins with Mizu herself, who is indeed a strong, independent woman, but also happens to have serious flaws. Although she has good reason to seek revenge for being abandoned, unprotected, rejected, and ultimately forced to hide her true self, her violent methods along with her fixation on the few white men left in Japan is questionable. True, the man she ends up pursuing is a British arms smuggler bent on destroying the Shogunate and ruling as a kind of shadow emperor, but he is certainly not the only one responsible for Mizu’s suffering.

Rather, as the show makes apparent, it is Feudal Japan that is Mizu’s real enemy. While each frame of the series really is a work of art—as YouTube critic Critical Drinker observes—the characters depicted frequently exhibit the worst aspects of that time. No one is nice to Mizu; everyone either ignores, insults, or tries to kill her. Nor is it much better for anyone else. The only two exceptions to this are a blind sword maker, a surrogate father for Mizu (never realizing that she’s a girl) and a handless young simpleton, Ringo, who serves as her disciple and friend.

Even as the audience can marvel at the discipline of the samurai’s training, the many rituals of daily life, the elegance and craftsmanship behind making katanas and noodle soup, the simplicity of Zen and Shinto religious practices, or the lush, uncontaminated Japanese landscapes, no one would make the mistake of believing that this is the best of all possible worlds. All actions are so carefully prescribed that no one, not even those in power, has any true freedom. Only Mizu seems to challenge these boundaries and is thus the most liberated character—but this all comes at the cost of her physical and emotional wellbeing. As she says herself, she seeks satisfaction, not happiness.

Two counterpoints to Mizu’s character in the series who provide additional commentary to the setting are the samurai Taigen and the noblewoman Akemi. In most other stories of Feudal Japan, Taigen—strong, ambitious, and devoted to honor—would be the hero, and Akemi—attractive, refined, and loyal—would be the love interest/damsel in distress. Indeed, this seems to be the case at first, with the two of them being in love and looking forward to marrying.

Nevertheless, a violent encounter with Mizu sets Taigen on a quixotic quest to duel her and regain his honor, leaving Akemi to be married off by her status-seeking father to someone better. Despite his virtues, Taigen comes off like a fool for giving up on his life with Akemi to satisfy his pride and uphold a misguided warrior’s code that couldn’t even prevent him from losing to a woman. On the flip side, Akemi cultivates greater independence and inner strength by adapting to her changing situation and exercising agency over her life. Both come to see through the facades and grow as people, though it’s arguable how much difference this will make for them in the end since their cultural environment remains the same as it ever was.

If one could make any criticism of Blue Eye Samurai from a cinematic standpoint, it would be the gratuitous sex and violence in each episode. The series straddles the line between graphic and pornographic, sometimes feeling appropriate and authentic and sometimes being over the top and distracting. The fact that it’s animated mitigates some of the misgivings a viewer might have and even gives an elegant and artistic expression to an otherwise smutty or gory subject. Perhaps life wasn’t quite as intense as it’s portrayed, but it was considerably more dynamic than the stately Shakespearean set pieces of an Akira Kurosawa film.

Overall, there’s a lovely messiness in the series that does justice to its subject matter and engages the audience. Whether it’s Mizu taking vengeance, Taigan recovering his honor, Akemi experiencing independence, Ringo finding purpose, or the Japanese Shogunate preserving its authority, none of it is clean or simple. Like the history behind it, the story has many angles to consider and the real interest comes more from observing how everything comes together than witnessing a perfect resolution where everyone gets their just deserts. Events certainly come to a head in the first season, but not to a clean conclusion. Hopefully, more questions will be answered in future seasons and the mysterious and complex setting of Blue Eye Samurai will continue to unfold.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
is it good or not

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Some Guy TT posted:

Perhaps life wasn’t quite as intense as it’s portrayed, but it was considerably more dynamic than the stately Shakespearean set pieces of an Akira Kurosawa film.

do people even watch movies anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-VxyEjPlRU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

is it good or not

It's good