Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Starting as the Viking ruler of Kiev, he subjugated the Kirghiz Khanate in 888; reformed the Tengri faith in 918; and proclaimed himself Genghis Khan in 924 - a relatively slow run, so I didn't get to break the Arabian or Byzantine empires, mores the pity.

Now it will probably take me a ruler or two just to get everything settled before I can start conquering again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Moreau posted:

Not gonna lie, for awhile there I started to worry that this guy might be bugged as immortal. All my children and grandchildren dying before me completely wrecked my Scandinavian Elective based inheritance plans, too.

Did you go into the whole of body tree? You can get some absurdly long lifespans out of that - I don't think I've ever seen someone make it to 100 but getting into their 80s/90s was pretty regular.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Going back to CK2 all the norse adventurers had extremely high health, so they stick around to do things. Could be that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm getting back into CK3 thanks to getting the ATE mod running.

Did education get a rework? I'm having trouble parsing what education a kid is taking, which has led to some poor guardianship choices. Also there used to be a way to set the education. Has that been moved?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Education got a slight rework, but how you set their education hasn't changed. If you click on the character, on the upper left hand side will show what lifestyle they are focusing on. You can click on that to change it, but you can only change it once, and when they get too old it becomes locked. I forget what age it gets locked at, maybe 10?

You can do some extra things like influence their personality at any time instead of waiting for specific events.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Education got a slight rework, but how you set their education hasn't changed. If you click on the character, on the upper left hand side will show what lifestyle they are focusing on. You can click on that to change it, but you can only change it once, and when they get too old it becomes locked. I forget what age it gets locked at, maybe 10?

You can do some extra things like influence their personality at any time instead of waiting for specific events.

Okay, it's been a long while since I played so I guess some basic mechanics just fell out of my head.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The influence thing is so good, even if it doesn't always work. If I end up with gregarious for instance, I'm always educating my two oldest kids so they both end up with it, because it's so good.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Is paradox going to release a patch along with the cosmetic dlc?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Finnish Flasher posted:

Is paradox going to release a patch along with the cosmetic dlc?

no :smithfrog:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Question about upgrading weapons and armor.

I started as a count and made a lovely mace for my dude. I also collected a fragment of the true cross. I kept getting offers to combine the 2 and make a holy mace, ok. But the mace had poo poo base stats, so I held onto both relics until I was a king.

But Im no longer getting offered this kind of deal, which came up 3x times per life of my count, his son, and his duke grandkid. But now that Im a king this isnt popping up anymore. Is this a lore mechanic so you can say you have a holy X from back when you were a swamp lord and now your a king you just make better steel weapons off the start?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Gaj posted:

Question about upgrading weapons and armor.

I started as a count and made a lovely mace for my dude. I also collected a fragment of the true cross. I kept getting offers to combine the 2 and make a holy mace, ok. But the mace had poo poo base stats, so I held onto both relics until I was a king.

But Im no longer getting offered this kind of deal, which came up 3x times per life of my count, his son, and his duke grandkid. But now that Im a king this isnt popping up anymore. Is this a lore mechanic so you can say you have a holy X from back when you were a swamp lord and now your a king you just make better steel weapons off the start?

The deal is a uncommon yearly event. As a count, your event pool has less possible events so that event is much more likely. As a king, your event pool is more cluttered (due to vassal events etc)

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

scaterry posted:

The deal is a uncommon yearly event. As a count, your event pool has less possible events so that event is much more likely. As a king, your event pool is more cluttered (due to vassal events etc)

The game has a lot of cool events, the one described above, but the vast majority are samey and unmemorable. Not even mechanically interesting.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
"My lord/lady, can we talk about that survey"

"My lord/lady, can you solve this issue on weapon"

"My lord/lady, can you solve this issue on a women"

"My lord/lady, a peasant entered the throne room"

"My lord/lady, we have caught a witch!"

"My lord/lady, we shouldn't allow certain culture to exist"

"My lord/lady, we should hold a festival on certain culture"

"My lord/lady, I'm poor, can you help me in exchant of X?"

"My lord/lady, can I become a knight again?"

"My lord/lady, as your friend, I found this really cool dude. Want him in the court?"

"My lord/lady, you have received a bad omen"

"My lord/lady, you have received a carpet"

"My lord/lady, you're stressed, what bad method will you use to dispose of it"

"My lord/lady, it's been .2 seconds since you have your stress level up, you now have a mental breakdown"

"My lord/lady, here is an animal and a few event towards your animal"

"My lord/lady, your dog/cat broke something!"

"My lord/lady, your wife/concubine/husband/concubine is allergic to your dog/cat"

"My lord/lady, do you want to make a paper talking about your dynasty?"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, personally I dont even read most events anymore, I just chose the best/less bad option. Even when they are funny, it stops being funny the second time it repeats

I love CK and EU but I was never a fan of events, to be honest. The only type of events I find interesting is when the event is at least related to something thats happening on your game, like the court event when the leaders of a faction against you offer you a deal

Otherwise is just like taking one of those monopoly cards that can send you to prison or give you $200, and its boring

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I like the idea of events. But too many of them are too repetitive and have almost zero impact on the game. And yet, with over 1000 hours played I know there are at least some that I've never seen. It could definitely use some attention.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…or just a message filter that lets you lock out some of the junk you see too often.

This has been your monthly “Bring back the CK2 outliner and message filtering” reminder.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
There are strategies to minimize the yearly event pool. Going vassalless, keeping your council as empty as possible, playing in a non-dlc region. In general the yearly event system is bloated and in need of an overhaul, you'd have better luck manipulating other event pools (like activities or lifestyles)

Tippis posted:

…or just a message filter that lets you lock out some of the junk you see too often.

This has been your monthly “Bring back the CK2 outliner and message filtering” reminder.

Yeah why'd that go away :/

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes, everything gets more annoying the more vassals you have. I just wrapped up a game where I was very large, with a very large house, and the amount of murder schemes I was constantly being alerted to was very tiring. My kids would have like 8 murder plots going against each of them. Not to mention the adultery prompts. I mostly was sticking it out waiting for the Mongols to show up so I could beat them down, just for fun.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
event pools are probably accessed ~power law but event pool sizes are prolly ~ gaussian or something like that

it's a pan-video-game-land problem because event pool sizes are basically usually assumed to be equal and nobody making these decisions gives a poo poo about probability or does calculations

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I put another 50 hours or so into CK3 but now I'm back to CK2, I think for good. CK3 was very cool and fun at first, but is just too shallow and gets repetitive too quickly. And the next DLC that feels actually worth the money will be the first.

I'll keep an eye on it over the years of course but it would take a hell of a lot to get me back in at the expense it would require to jump back in from 4 or 5 DLCs behind.

With what's going on with Cities:Skylines 2, I think unfortunately it's likely Paradox has jumped all the way over the shark since they went public.

e: to be clear I don't hate CK3, I put over 200 hours into it and had fun. It just feels like that's all there is, whereas CK2 still feels replayable despite how much worse the UI is.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 25, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

I put another 50 hours or so into CK3 but now I'm back to CK2, I think for good. CK3 was very cool and fun at first, but is just too shallow and gets repetitive too quickly. And the next DLC that feels actually worth the money will be the first.

I'll keep an eye on it over the years of course but it would take a hell of a lot to get me back in at the expense it would require to jump back in from 4 or 5 DLCs behind.

With what's going on with Cities:Skylines 2, I think unfortunately it's likely Paradox has jumped all the way over the shark since they went public.

e: to be clear I don't hate CK3, I put over 200 hours into it and had fun. It just feels like that's all there is, whereas CK2 still feels replayable despite how much worse the UI is.

IF you come back like once a year, it's probably best to sign up for a one month subscription, which will then give you access to all DLC without having to buy them individually.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Eric the Mauve posted:

my kingdom for "literally just CK2 again except that panning the map doesn't lag if time is unpaused"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah if they had just literally remade CK2 with modern graphics/interface I would have hunted them down if necessary to shove my money into their pockets.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The music changing based off what you're doing was a good idea, but the CK3 ost is so much worse than ck2. Every time you boot up ck2 and hear the harp strings as you hop characters is awesome.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Been listening to stuff like this on my Iranian intermezzo playthrough: https://youtu.be/Y8UOEZKK-WI?si=HOLx5M64bNBLzzSV I’ve always been a proponent of listening to YouTube tracks over and above this game’s OST.

I got Darius’ Revenge last night, and it’s still not yet 1000 AD, so I think I’ll try to go for the Have 5x Excellent-tier tax collectors and Mulct your Vizier at the highest level 5x achievements. There’s also a decision to become the Sayoshant if you hold Persia’s de jure territory but I don’t think there’s any achievements linked with that.

Ps check out swole Iceland:

The Baltic yellow is Khazaria not Finland.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 25, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eimi posted:

The music changing based off what you're doing was a good idea, but the CK3 ost is so much worse than ck2. Every time you boot up ck2 and hear the harp strings as you hop characters is awesome.

Totally agreed on the base game music, but the Northern Lords soundtrack absolutely fucks hard imo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

This game has music?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

This game has music?

Yes, and you can tell because when you declare a holy war there's a special track that plays and is absolutely insanely loud.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

event pools are probably accessed ~power law but event pool sizes are prolly ~ gaussian or something like that

it's a pan-video-game-land problem because event pool sizes are basically usually assumed to be equal and nobody making these decisions gives a poo poo about probability or does calculations

I always assumed events had a fixed chance per day, so poisson.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gently caress i aint readin their code to find out

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you really want to feel bad about the state of Paradox and CK3, look up what DLC had come out by this point in CK2's lifetime and compare it to what's come out for CK3.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hellioning posted:

Yes, and you can tell because when you declare a holy war there's a special track that plays and is absolutely insanely loud.

God, I hate that

I choose any other CB if there’s a choice just to avoid that song blasting in my ears

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Eric the Mauve posted:

With what's going on with Cities:Skylines 2, I think unfortunately it's likely Paradox has jumped all the way over the shark since they went public..

Yeah I feel this with vicky 3 too, there's something about their new games where the systems are clearer and more gamified but end up fundamentally hamstringing the game long term.

I do love the 3d characters in ck3 though and can't go back, but I have got bored and bounced off most times I try to replay. I don't like how the culture tech tree limits the hell out of everything

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

If you really want to feel bad about the state of Paradox and CK3, look up what DLC had come out by this point in CK2's lifetime and compare it to what's come out for CK3.

CK3 was released 1,252 days ago.

When CK2 was 1,252 days old, it had already released more than half of its dlc packages.
    * Sword of Islam
    * Legacy of Rome
    * Sunset Invasion
    * The Republic
    * The Old Gods
    * Sons of Abraham
    * Rajas of India
    * Charlemagne
    * Way of Life
    * Horse Lords

And that’s three more DLC packages than CK3 has released in the same amount of time. Ofc this isn’t apples to apples due to various factors between developing for CK2 and developing for CK3 (like covid or 3D vs 2D art). But when the PDX CEO references CK as one of their “forever” series, it’s difficult not to see that as a bad omen for this games expansions schedule.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
No that can't be right, the old gods came out just a year or two ago. CK3 is only six months old, a year tops.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
CK3 hasn't given us the opportunity to play truly different rulers. Merchant republics play radically different than feudal rulers, as did nomads. At this point in CK2's dev cycle, both The Republic and Horse Lords had been released.

And even something like the Byzantine Empire after CK2's last patch is quite different from normal feudal realms, what with giving out all these duchies until the holder dies, managing that and imperial legitimacy for your own succession, plus the Pentarchy mechanic, etc.

Indian rulers were mechanically very similar to European feudal rulers, but you were always conscious of China if you started there: Either because of the bonuses through Grace interactions, it's impact on the Silk Road, or the sometimes very dangerous Western Protectorate maybe eying your lands...

There's definitely something missing in CK3, and one can only hope Paradox recognizes this and starts to give us some more out there playing experiences.

Meanwhile, I've been really happy with the Stellaris devs, so this is not a problem affecting all of Paradox.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The main thing that bugs me about Paradox when they come out with a new game is they don't port most of the stuff from the old one over and instead release it as new DLC. CK3 and CK2 are similar enough that things like secret societies should have been directly ported and improved on. Same with different forms of succession that had been implemented in CK2. Instead, they just release a pretty bare bones game. Its ok when it's the first time you play a game in the series but jumping from CK2 to CK3 is jarring in its similarities but how it feels empty because it doesn't have all the DLC.

Not looking forward to EU5 for this reason.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Now at least we have muslims play a little different

Im playing a new game for the first time in a while, in the Persian struggle, and having a lot of fun. But also because its been many months since my last CK3 game

And still the muslim felt more different than feudal in CK2, even thought I was never a big fan of the decadence mechanics

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

gurragadon posted:

The main thing that bugs me about Paradox when they come out with a new game is they don't port most of the stuff from the old one over and instead release it as new DLC. CK3 and CK2 are similar enough that things like secret societies should have been directly ported and improved on. Same with different forms of succession that had been implemented in CK2. Instead, they just release a pretty bare bones game. Its ok when it's the first time you play a game in the series but jumping from CK2 to CK3 is jarring in its similarities but how it feels empty because it doesn't have all the DLC.

Not looking forward to EU5 for this reason.

Should they, though? Societies for me alternated between being annoyingly disruptive (secret religions) and trait farms (everything else). I think the game is better without them.

That's pretty much my thoughts on everything that's in CK2 that didn't make it to CK3--they sucked in 2, and I'm glad they're gone and maybe will be reworked before coming to CK3. Including things like unique Byzantine mechanics, nomads, and merchant republics.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I think they said they don't want to do secret societies in CK3, their "floorplan for the future" mentions nomads, MRs, imperial mechanics etc. though