Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Why did Tama turn off the lights?

And then he gets lowblowed anyway.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shooter, drive the nail on the coffin!!!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shooter must dig deep to his master's repertoire. You gotta hit a DEATH RIDER

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

GOD DAMMIT

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hell yeah Shooter!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good, let's move on from House of Torture forever now. Thanks.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Loving Proud Dads Tama Tonga and El Desperado :shobon:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jerusalem posted:

Good, let's move on from House of Torture forever now. Thanks.

I got an email from the tokon shop advertising 10! Hot/evil shirts. They must move a bizarre amount of merch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Desperado says no title match for SHO. No need to discuss further!

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

lmao get hosed SHO

remember when SHO was good and beat Shingo that one time and was supposed to be the next Ospreay-level breakout star of the juniors?

:smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tell House of Torture the match is in Sapporo, then drive EVIL in a locked container like Steve Buscemi in Con Air to the show in Osaka.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aesculus posted:

remember when SHO was good

Yes.

:smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, trying to use Twitter is such a huge pain in the rear end now.

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1750134754387935570

Edit: God, Shota rules so much:

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1750136104433647903

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/1750137124610077147

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 24, 2024

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I got an email from the tokon shop advertising 10! Hot/evil shirts. They must move a bizarre amount of merch

The House of Torture shirt is like the third or fourth best seller on the Toukon Shop website

They move units

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh man, I was going to watch as soon as I got home to see my local boys and Big Fuj win the belts, now I'm just bummed out :(

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Okada is dead to me after not laying down for TMDK what a bum

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

The Cameo posted:

The House of Torture shirt is like the third or fourth best seller on the Toukon Shop website

They move units

Tbh I'm a hot apologist but they have legitimately some of the best merch in wrestling. Looking at aew merch the real person Tony Khan needs to poach from njpw is twitter use @hdbng_1030

Because she's designed some of the best merch I've ever seen.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 24, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey all, I extended the deadline for submissions for The Top Ten Active Wrestlers of 2023 Thread, please pop by and add in a Top Ten before midnight Eastern of Friday, January 26th!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Danielson vs. Yuji Nagata Saturday on Collison!

Now we just need, idk, Christian vs. Nakanishi?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Danielson vs. Yuji Nagata Saturday on Collison!

Now we just need, idk, Christian vs. Nakanishi?

Sorry, Nakanishi has a shift at the gas station that day.

Unfortunately, the dude did not save for retirement and now actually does that to make ends meet as he evidently did not want to continue on as a trainer for the dojo, either. It’s kind of sad. But also: did you forget the dude retired like four years ago? It was done pretty quietly as he didn’t want to have it interfere with his (everybody’s) friend Liger’s retirement.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

The Cameo posted:

Sorry, Nakanishi has a shift at the gas station that day.

Unfortunately, the dude did not save for retirement and now actually does that to make ends meet as he evidently did not want to continue on as a trainer for the dojo, either. It’s kind of sad. But also: did you forget the dude retired like four years ago? It was done pretty quietly as he didn’t want to have it interfere with his (everybody’s) friend Liger’s retirement.

wait what that's so sad

EDIT: okay reading https://www.reddit.com/r/njpw/comments/17slzkt/the_post_retirement_life_of_manabu_nakanishi/, it's not that sad, at least it's a bit hopeful. he had become pretty worn down by the time I started watching New Japan but he looked like an absolute killer in his prime

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 25, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, it is kind of sad to see that what he thought he'd be doing post-retirement kind of fell apart, but it does sound like he's in a pretty good mindset about things at least and New Japan is helping out.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

All I had ever heard was the gas station part, I’m glad that it’s not like he’s dependent on it and that New Japan is legit paying money to retired guys as a sort of pension.

But still that’s a loving hell of a schedule, 11 hours, six days a week?!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I realized I should have used Kojima as soon as I hit post but I'm glad the situation isn't as bad as I assumed it was. That retired wrestlers fund coming in handy!

I can't believe he retired four years ago. And he looks so slim!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Watching Tana run out for Despy Nobu and holy poo poo that was sad. That was approaching Jado levels of run-in. That man's knees must be in perpetual agony

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The way he runs makes me think it's lower back/hips cause that's how I run

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I saw a bunch of old PPVs on the "recently added" section of NJPW World and got excited but it's just the Okada matches from each one. Still neat but I was hoping for more.

I'm also intrigued by Toru Yano presents Glamping with CHAOS but not $25 worth of intrigued.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Okada not the only champ vacating instead of jobbing on the way out

https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1750888773796184146

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Cameo posted:

All I had ever heard was the gas station part, I’m glad that it’s not like he’s dependent on it and that New Japan is legit paying money to retired guys as a sort of pension.

But still that’s a loving hell of a schedule, 11 hours, six days a week?!

I was watching a yt video about an elderly police officer who aged out of his job and rather than be retired he was instead working as chief of a crew of cigarette shamers who would ticket people for smoking in non designated smoking zones. The crew itself was all aged out people who still needed income and sometimes part of his shift was going off and searching for the ones who had dementia that had wandered off during shift. Its just a different mentality over there i think.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Okada not the only champ vacating instead of jobbing on the way out

https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1750888773796184146

She's got a few more dates in Stardom, just have AZM beat her or whatever. Hell, merge the IWGP and STRONG belts, Mayu doesn't know the difference between them anyway.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

She's got a few more dates in Stardom, just have AZM beat her or whatever. Hell, merge the IWGP and STRONG belts, Mayu doesn't know the difference between them anyway.

Having 2 titles already seems pointless when they both only get defended in Stardom & NJPW US shows.

Saw this from Cubs Fan's update from today
"Master Wato is off all upcoming NJPW shows due to an ACL injury. He was booked on most of the FantasticaMania shows, and NJPW announced replacements Thursday. Dragon Gate wrestler Strong Machine J will take the spot in Osaka, while MUSASHI fills in the rest of the shows. MUSASHI wrestled in Mexico in 2018 and 2019, even trained in the CMLL school. He never made it onto a regular CMLL show but did wrestle on CMLL spot shows (including teaming with Kawato/Master Wato.) MUSASHI teamed with old friend YOH in last year’s Super Junior Tag League and recently announced he’d leave his home promotion of Michinoku Pro at the end of February. Those two things in combination have caused people to guess he’s ending up in New Japan, and wrestling more New Japan shows will fuel that speculation."

MUSASHI is a good pickup for New Japan's honestly kind of flat junior division, despite the top 2 guys in it being 2 of my favourite guys left in the company. Strong Machine J on another NJPW show is neat though

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm a refugee from the bad promotion trying to get into NJPW, but it's pretty confusing... I see there's a "The Road to New Beginning" series going on, which I'm assuming is like the string of weekly shows before PPVs in the American promotions. But then there's like 3 different New Beginning shows happening? Are those ... different shows? Or... like a traveling road show? Maybe I'm overthinking this trying to wrap my head around what to watch.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm a refugee from the bad promotion trying to get into NJPW, but it's pretty confusing... I see there's a "The Road to New Beginning" series going on, which I'm assuming is like the string of weekly shows before PPVs in the American promotions. But then there's like 3 different New Beginning shows happening? Are those ... different shows? Or... like a traveling road show? Maybe I'm overthinking this trying to wrap my head around what to watch.

"Road to" shows are house shows building to bigger named shows, yes. Named shows range in quality to a good weekly TV episode in a US promotion to the biggest PPV of the year for a US promotion.

Sometimes there are multiple named shows on a given tour, usually in different cities. In that case the bigger matches tend to be spread across them and the cards as a whole are less stacked. This is the case for the New Beginning tour this year.

If you want to get a good taste of NJPW watch this year's Wrestle Kingdom which was on January 4th.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

"Road to" shows are house shows building to bigger named shows, yes. Named shows range in quality to a good weekly TV episode in a US promotion to the biggest PPV of the year for a US promotion.

Sometimes there are multiple named shows on a given tour, usually in different cities. In that case the bigger matches tend to be spread across them and the cards as a whole are less stacked. This is the case for the New Beginning tour this year.

If you want to get a good taste of NJPW watch this year's Wrestle Kingdom which was on January 4th.

Oh okay, so the multiple named shows are sort of like the "night 1", "night 2", etc that you'd see in something like Wrestlemania, that makes sense.

So just a different way of doing things, but not too different than what I'm used to, that's cool. I guess the "road to" shows aren't necessary viewing the way something like RAW or Dynamite is to keep up with the uh, "story"?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

"Road Tos" are recorded house shows, so they're focused on building storylines for the next big show and doing crowd pleasing stuff. The quality is usually pretty high but not as high as the big shows. A Korakuen Hall show though is usually an exception.

They're usually fun if not essential watches. A lot of multi-mans and tags but you get to see basically everyone of importance.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 26, 2024

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

forkboy84 posted:

"Master Wato is off all upcoming NJPW shows due to an ACL injury.

:wato: :smith:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh okay, so the multiple named shows are sort of like the "night 1", "night 2", etc that you'd see in something like Wrestlemania, that makes sense.

So just a different way of doing things, but not too different than what I'm used to, that's cool. I guess the "road to" shows aren't necessary viewing the way something like RAW or Dynamite is to keep up with the uh, "story"?

Not to that degree, no. Storylines will sometimes be advanced on Road To shows, but the happenings are rarely so significant that you have to watch all the episodes for fear of falling behind. Don't worry if you don't have time to absorb every minute of every card, you'll be adequately informed even if you just watch the matches you're especially interested in.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's terrible timing on the injury for Wato as he felt like he was close to putting everything together after a strong 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

New Japan heavily works in terms of tours. So depending when it is in the year all the shows will be themed around the next big show coming up, or will be part of a big event or tournament. So right now you've got "Road To The New Beginning", each of which leads up to one of the big New Beginning shows where you will get title matches etc. Following this you will get Fantasticamania, which is a crossover with Mexican promotion CMLL, where luchadors come over and have crazy matches with New Japan guys. As we go into Spring we'll have a whole bunch of tournament shows in the New Japan Cup, which are usually really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, the upcoming shows are gonna be a pretty good buffet of what the promotion has to offer now. You get Okada's farewell tour, the big United Empire/Bullet Club cage match sending off Ospreay, SANADA vs Naito... and Dolph Ziggler in a main event.

Also I hope to god they're putting the NEVER title on Shooter because they need to plant a flag with at least a couple of the new guys soon.