Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

counterfeitsaint posted:

So there's this teenaged boy who showed up in your city a few hours ago. You two know things about him so far, first, he bit someone's hand for saying hello, second, he might be dealing with possible trauma from growing up an an abusive home.

Are you comfortable with boy spending a few hours alone with your very young daughter? Keep in mind one of these answers will make you a bigot, I guess.

they're very clearly trying to pull a 'he still has issues' thing at the beginning of the episode so that they can pull the redemption angle later on with his speech. it's just clunky IMO.

the show admits he's speciesist, it's like a part of his whole character that he struggles with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I appreciate that Kira when confronted with her actions of blowing up a Gul's home and killing him and his family is like " No gently caress you , you were all legitimate targets" . She never waivers in her stance either. Like even later in the show she stands by her actions in the war against the Cardassan occupation. Its a interesting character choice.

DS9 is good.

Kira Nerys Did Nothing Wrong

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://i.imgur.com/9qJKups.mp4

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Dr. Pulaski.

:allears:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

TrashMammal posted:

o’brien must suffer is the name of my hardcore band

its a really good name tbqh

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The same page that celebrates Kira showing no remorse for dropping a pipe bomb off outside the home of sleeping civilians aren't willing to budge an inch for O'Brien being uncomfortable around a group of people who, for several years of his life, were exclusively trying to kill him. Why are you still trying to get over your PTSD and be more tolerant, you should have forgotten everything that happened and been totally cool with these people the second the treaty was signed, duh. gently caress character growth, cancel his rear end for not already being perfect.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

they're very clearly trying to pull a 'he still has issues' thing at the beginning of the episode so that they can pull the redemption angle later on with his speech. it's just clunky IMO.

the show admits he's speciesist, it's like a part of his whole character that he struggles with it

If you're gonna try to cram that into the B plot of a 44 minute episode yeah, it's gonna be clunky.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I don't think that's happening?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Gutcruncher posted:

Hot horny cardassian lady was fun, it’s like when the racist skinhead biker has a black wife, but the real winner is when O’Brien bonds with the cardassian kid over their mutual annoyance of keiko’s bullshit

They also bonded over their mutual hatred of cardassians.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

it doesn’t matter if o’brien was right or wrong, only that he suffers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

O'Brien the undercover agent - FOR REAL - was a cool little arc.

Julian could only dream of being so cool.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I think the acting is as such that you sorta feel like he maybe doesn't really believe it but wants to and is trying to tell the kid the right thing

Felt like deliberately a little forced on the character's part

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Is this AI or a photoshop?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Hollismason posted:

it’s ai garbage

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Look at all the letters except the ones in the center. Also duder in the background behind the mic has either the largest mouth or is ai.

Also his combadge is on the wrong side.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They were referenced in the Strange New Worlds crossover with lower decks

There were so many ENT callbacks in that episode it feels like they had to catch up to a quota because nobody otherwise gives a poo poo about ENT. Discovery used most of their callbacks for Voyager and Nog.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CainFortea posted:

Look at all the letters except the ones in the center. Also duder in the background behind the mic has either the largest mouth or is ai.

Also his combadge is on the wrong side.
the redshirt is also both in front of and behind the microphone cord while staring off into the distance instead of at the singer who's pushing a cable into his face

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think the acting is as such that you sorta feel like he maybe doesn't really believe it but wants to and is trying to tell the kid the right thing

Felt like deliberately a little forced on the character's part

O'Brien had always been clear that he doesn't actually hate Cardassians, but he was forced to become a killer because of them and this makes him very uncomfortable. Almost his entire association with Cardassians is violence and death. Every time he sees a Cardassian he has to relive the first time he killed a person.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
having to fix a cardassian space station definitely made him hate cardassians, though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
O'Brien loving loves fixing the station. He even says so multiple times that this is his dream job because he's always doing stuff.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Hollismason posted:

O'Brien loving loves fixing the station. He even says so multiple times that this is his dream job because he's always doing stuff.

I just got up to the episode where he's fighting with Pregnant-With-His-Baby Kira and Not-Pregnant-Keiko walks in

Old fashioned Irishman who enjoys work over family, sounds like my dad

:smith:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember being burned out by the end of Voyager. I'm not even sure I kept up on each episode for the last season or two, and Endgame was just ridiculous. There was definitely a sense (from my limited perspective, anyway) that things had gone wrong somewhere along the way, that Trek had gotten way too formulaic and bogged down in bullshit technobabble.

My memory is that the marketing buzz around Enterprise seemed to acknowledge the rut that then-modern Trek had gotten into, that things needed to change, and that this new show was going to really try to break away from all the cruft that had accumulated, in significant part by putting the show way before TOS and make it so they couldn't rely on the same bunch of techno-tricks to get out of pickles and jams. It wasn't even going to be called Star Trek!

I remember watching that first episode and coming away just completely disgusted. To my teenaged brain it seemed like they'd largely written another formulaic script and done a search-and-replace to swap out "shields" for "hull plating", "phasers" for "phase cannons/pistols", and so on. They even beamed a guy with the transporter in the first episode! And the decon gel scene was just the worst kind of pandering fanservice. Yeah, I was a horny teenage boy, but it still just didn't work at all for me. I swore off Enterprise and with the exception of occasionally catching part of an episode on the air by chance, I basically didn't watch the show until several years after it had been canceled. When the cancellation was announced I basically shrugged and figured finally someone had put the show out of everyone's misery.

In retrospect, I acknowledge that in some ways the producers' hands were pretty well tied by Paramount/UPN, who I'm sure had their own expectations for what Trek needed to be both as a property and as a major show on their network. But I don't regret not watching at the time and I still largely regard the show as a failure from a writing standpoint, which is unfortunate because I do think the cast and crew threw their hearts into it.

I kind of wonder what trajectory Trek would have taken if UPN had never gotten off the ground. I don't think it would have been a panacea but maybe Paramount might have been a bit more amenable to more development time for Enterprise if they hadn't been desperate to prop up UPN's programming block.

Yes, this, 100 percent. I’m sure I would have watched enterprise if I hadn’t gone on study abroad its second season, but I got back and season 3 was like trying to be 24 or something and I lost interest all over again. Didn’t even consider watching season 4 when it aired.

It’s a shame that Disco kind of sucks, not because I don’t like the characters or even a lot of the ideas, but rather that it’s far too self-serious and seems to be made by people whose idea of prestige television starts and ends with alternating 5 minute monologues about processing trauma. It’s not, like, entertaining or thought provoking, not the way I want it to be. Haz Mazaro’s Karma Barge loving rules though, NGL

Frankly, I think Prodigy does a much better job of exploring the idea of why The Federation/Starfleet is worth caring about, compared to Disco S3-4. I think Discovery was kind of doomed from the start by having to be the first Star Trek show in a radically changed TV landscape. There just wasn’t any way to know what would and wouldn’t work, and in that regard I’m at least glad they got the chance to try. It’s not all bad and I’m glad I watched most of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Discovery crawled sot that Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds and Prodigy could run and Picard could fall into a 20 foot deep hole, break all its leg bones AND poo poo itself for good measure.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah Tendi said that to Scotty, Sulu, and M’Ress and really stepped in it, so I’d be careful who I say that around

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I appreciated O'Brien's commitment to staying in shape.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Staying in a shape, at least.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

is telling odo to stay in shape offensive

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

enterprise had potential. would have been decent enough if americans were not so obsessed with osama bin laden at the time

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I didn’t like enterprise at that time because Archer reminded me of George W. Bush.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I didn’t like enterprise at that time because Archer reminded me of George W. Bush.

Yeah, this aw shucks dumb American with Daddy issues, I got the vibe too.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

is telling odo to stay in shape offensive

That's even worse than telling him to go link himself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just thought it was really loving weird that Archer was really loving into water polo. Like what the gently caress.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I think they did it to emphasize how tastes change.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Hollismason posted:

I just thought it was really loving weird that Archer was really loving into water polo. Like what the gently caress.

No weirder than Sisko being really into baseball, in his time.

Or maybe water polo just got really popular after WW3 and climate change meant more people either needed to swim, because they now lived on the seashore instead of several miles inland, or wanted to swim, because it was so drat hot now all the time, so swimming and water polo supplanted like, skiing and ice hockey.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Tom and his fascination with the 20th century was of course into hockey. As were Klingons and Andorians.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Not only was he into Water Polo but apparently so was Trip because if I remember right they had conversations about watching games. Its just bizarre.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I liked the pretty Vulcan lady.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess it wasn't far enough in the future for cool made-up sports like that Ultimate Martial Art kendo-looking thing that Riker's dad cheats at or the like Cyb3r P1ckleball thing from DS9

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

enterprise makes it pretty clear that the 22nd century is real into sexy wet people. water polo makes perfect sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The xindi aquatics really should have bonded with him over it