Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah I'll admit that a quick dodge animation mod is one of my must-haves. Main advantage of martial arts imo is that because damage is influenced by a combination of strength, toughness, and the martial arts skill itself single-hit damage quickly gets pretty extreme. MA also gets significantly better as you unlock new attack animations by leveling up your MA skill. You start out with some slow dinky punches but later you get some sweet jumping kicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah

my fav. kenshi lore is that the project got started almost entirely because he bought an asset pack of cool katana animations and wanted to make a game that used them

It's funny how that could easily be the starting off point for a million similar but bad indie projects but it somehow works for Kenshi thanks to its brilliant alchemy of other weirdo features and design.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
More games should follow the design principles of Odell Lake

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got this game way back when you downloaded the demo from moddb and paid the guy directly 10 dollars then he'd send you a long-rear end code to unlock the rest of the game. Thankfully that code translated to a Steam code and I'm able to play it that way too. Steam really did become this convenience factor since one of his earliest mantras was "No DRM. Ever." Still, good on the success for this game. It was a weird nonsense game back then and it only improved ever so slightly with time. The game was just a desert world with only human enemies and no fauna to speak of when I first played it. Good times.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

litany of gulps posted:

One answer to this is “never”. A lot of people that hype martial arts use mods that change the animations to make it more viable. Unmodded martial arts has its moments, like flying kicking a dude’s arms off or whatever, but if you watch your martial artist closely you’ll notice that they spend a lot of time dodging and dancing around doing nothing. Against fast attackers or multiple enemies, your martial artist can essentially stun lock themselves in their dodge animation.

well this is why you field 10 martial artists, duh

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What you do is you have a front line of really distracting doofuses doing the same animation priority locking to your opponents and then flanking them with a bunch of cruise missiles made of fists or falling suns. Some doofuses die and some doofuses become the new crop of cruise missiles.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
and then the beak things show up

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

and then the beak things show up

Relax. Embrace death.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
When I was doing my solo karate master playthrough and was strong enough to start sieging cities, I got some unexpected help from the Shinobi Thieves. That's why Shinobi Thieves are the realest dudes. For the bargain price of 10,000 cats, they'll down with you against your enemies like a hidden fifth column in whatever city that has a Shinobi Thieves tower in it.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
There are few deals in Kenshi better than paying the 10k to join up.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I got this game way back when you downloaded the demo from moddb and paid the guy directly 10 dollars then he'd send you a long-rear end code to unlock the rest of the game. Thankfully that code translated to a Steam code and I'm able to play it that way too. Steam really did become this convenience factor since one of his earliest mantras was "No DRM. Ever." Still, good on the success for this game. It was a weird nonsense game back then and it only improved ever so slightly with time. The game was just a desert world with only human enemies and no fauna to speak of when I first played it. Good times.

I got it back when it was on Desura, lol anyone remember that? Game was worth every penny, it's the exact flavor of weird and janky that my awful ADHD brain finds incredibly compelling. Lot of Desura stuff started off not wanting to give steam codes for things but in the end most devs relented, and with how that platform went I'm sure it was the right move.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Desura is where I got my copy too lol

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

You can join the Shek Kingdom. You can be a dog of the Holy Nation. You can get paid off by the United Cities. You can fight for freedom with the AntiSlavers and the Flotsam Ninjas.

But everybody be a card carrying Shinobi.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
When I was beaten up and left for dead in the wilderness, who was there for me? A hiver Wandering Assassin from the Shinobi Thieves wearing a basket hat and walking through the desert haze like a mirage who bandaged up my wounds and fought off my attackers.

The bonds of brotherhood forged from paying some rascals a one time fee of 10k runs deep.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any UI mods? I'm playing at 2560x1440 and the text does not scale. I practically need to move my face to my monitor to read all of that.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

moot the hopple posted:

When I was beaten up and left for dead in the wilderness, who was there for me? A hiver Wandering Assassin from the Shinobi Thieves wearing a basket hat and walking through the desert haze like a mirage who bandaged up my wounds and fought off my attackers.

The bonds of brotherhood forged from paying some rascals a one time fee of 10k runs deep.

This is it, right? This is the Kenshi magic. You have the emergent narrative buzzword that has been floating around forever. It seems like the newer procedurally generated worlds that we keep seeing in games want to have those emergent narratives, but they don't quite get it. The emergent narrative comes from the weirdness of a handcrafted world, where what happens isn't just random bizarre strangeness generated procedurally. Rather, the emergent narrative makes sense in context, that context is bizarre, but that context is also consistent and comprehensible. By no means were you guaranteed succor from a Shinobi, you could have just as easily been eaten by a beak thing or enslaved by a Holy Nation racist, but fortune favored you and the slim odds of that luck and its aesthetic made for a great implied story.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flesh Forge posted:

They made a bunch of money off of the sales of Kenshi so now it doesn't have to just be literally 1 guy doing the hermit lifestyle thing, they can throw more labor at it. The main reason Kenshi took 12 years to make was because Chris Hunt literally did almost all the development work himself while working as a part time security guard and eating dirt.

counterpoint: sit on your millions of dollars and while away your hours on your passion project having won capitalism, never needing to work again, instead of blowing it all on scaling your operation and taking on risk

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this is only an opportunity to increase your toughness friend, the beak things only mean to help you

litany of gulps posted:

This is it, right? This is the Kenshi magic. You have the emergent narrative buzzword that has been floating around forever. It seems like the newer procedurally generated worlds that we keep seeing in games want to have those emergent narratives, but they don't quite get it. The emergent narrative comes from the weirdness of a handcrafted world, where what happens isn't just random bizarre strangeness generated procedurally. Rather, the emergent narrative makes sense in context, that context is bizarre, but that context is also consistent and comprehensible. By no means were you guaranteed succor from a Shinobi, you could have just as easily been eaten by a beak thing or enslaved by a Holy Nation racist, but fortune favored you and the slim odds of that luck and its aesthetic made for a great implied story.

not everyone can be so lucky :smith:

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I realize I’ve only ever done the default and Rebirth start. Kenshi is calling me back, and I must answer the call. What are some other favorite starts? I love Rebirth as a Riki-Oh simulator, but maybe I should try a skeleton or hiver start.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Power Walrus posted:

I realize I’ve only ever done the default and Rebirth start. Kenshi is calling me back, and I must answer the call. What are some other favorite starts? I love Rebirth as a Riki-Oh simulator, but maybe I should try a skeleton or hiver start.

I like the one where you're in the desert missing a limb. You tend to get enslaved too but it's more chaotic and more challenging initially

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Power Walrus posted:

The hardest thing for me is not being skeletons. Skeletons are just too good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I made a custom start where you would start off enslaved by the Reavers, it was brutal because they would take you out on raids and just did NOT give a poo poo if you got downed and slowly bled/starved to death or had to march through acid rain

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The empire starts have a pretty different character than rebirth or the default newbie hub/shek starter area.There are a couple that are easier than naked and starving in the wastes

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

My favorite emergent gameplay was went I went on a recruitment run in the swamps. This was prior to the blood spider nerf. My ninja thief and dr grabbed maybe about 7 people and we hoofed it out of the swamps but got blood spider ambushed.

Everyone got out but there were some missing limbs and lots of people carrying people. We get out and rest at a tech hunter outpost. Somehow Holy Nation becomes hostile to the tech hunters and the outpost is right on a holy nation patrol path.

Cue a massive running battle where my scrubs are trying to heal in bed, the Dr is trying to patch up tech hunters and the ninja is knocking out high value targets. The outpost is swarmed and then... The holy nation makes a passing slave trader caravan hostile to them. More and more bodies are piling up, I'm out of meds and the survivors are huddled on the roof. Eventually we make a break for it... As a tech hunter patrol comes along and reinforces.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does a settlement have to get to a certain size before raids on it start happening or can it just be a little shack in the middle of nowhere before enemies start showing up?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jimbot posted:

Does a settlement have to get to a certain size before raids on it start happening or can it just be a little shack in the middle of nowhere before enemies start showing up?

"Camping" items don't create an outpost, I've never used any "decorations" so dunno whether those count, other than that basically any structure you order from the build menu will create an 'outpost' map marker (if there isn't already one nearby) and immediately starts the timers for raids/taxes/caravans/etc as soon as the blueprint is placed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, smuggling drugs sure pays out really well, huh? Even with the 50% penalty with the shinobi faction you still turn a huge profit. Got a good laugh that it's just marijuana. The moon of Kenshi wouldn't be so messed up if people were just allowed to get high.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I loved randomly stumbling into that random secret grow house location and then immediately selling all that dank cush to the nearby Flats Lagoon for pure profit :420: :homebrew: :420:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It's really funny that the Spartacus scenario is somehow the least game-y method of building up toughness. How else is it done, besides picking fights with patrols with a medic hiding nearby?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's really funny that the Spartacus scenario is somehow the least game-y method of building up toughness. How else is it done, besides picking fights with patrols with a medic hiding nearby?

Punch Shek cops for free amputation/bandaging. Or let fogmen gnaw your legs off, if you're feeling spicy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

silentsnack posted:

Or let fogmen gnaw your legs off, if you're feeling spicy.

It's best to rescue the aspirant after each limb, losing multiple in a single session risks them dying of bloodloss before you can get it under control.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Where would a good spot be if all I wanted to do is make a small settlement that focused on making wonder foodcubes and swords? You know, every warriors' balanced breakfast.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What sort of raids would you like?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Jimbot posted:

Where would a good spot be if all I wanted to do is make a small settlement that focused on making wonder foodcubes and swords? You know, every warriors' balanced breakfast.

Somewhere between Squin and The Hub, imo. Somewhere you don't have to hoof too far for iron and copper.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

there's a spot where the border zone, vain and shek territory come together that gets recommended to newbies a lot. I don't like building on shek territory because if you play long enough their food collectors will eventually bug out, get fighty and tank your reputation with their faction

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Peeler machine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Where Shem meets the swamp is the most braindead place you can start a base. Do it right and you have Swamp and Shem -like fertilities at different ends. Just some bandit or ninja raids, visiting beak things (your new best friends), the occasional Shek proving who want to go on vacation.

If you settle near Shek they are best buds and best buds in Kenshi the poo poo out of each other so I'd say highly recommended but I'm not sure that that is the question.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think the intent is you have a big enough group that you can take hits and not lose the whole group, so toughness goes naturally up.

It's just way faster to let someone kick the ever loving gently caress out of you over and over again with the stealth medic.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You get the biggest boost if the fight goes on long enough that the people knocked down at the start can stand up again. Recovering during a fight gives lots of xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I think my favourite start is the nobodies, you get 5 guys but you’ve got 2/3rds chance of starting in the middle of a hostile high level area so there’s a fair chance you’ll need to sacrifice a couple of your guys so the others can run away.