Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Senshi just doesn't like electric stoves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Bet the real issue is just Senshi's firm belief that "proper flint and steel just imparts more flavor", it's a propane vs. charcoal thing

He is a dwarf, after all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I feel bad for Marcille. She just wants to be useful on the quest to safe her girlfriend and tries her best, but everyone is always rude and dismissive to her.
I usually skip OPs but this one is genuinely really good. There are so many people we haven't met yet. I wonder when the party will absorb them.

Also I'm just gonna say it: Boiled cabbage is gross and a misuse of ingredients.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

VideoWitch posted:

I love the weird Smeagol Halffoot. Why does he hate vegetables so much?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I feel bad for Marcille. She just wants to be useful on the quest to safe her girlfriend and tries her best, but everyone is always rude and dismissive to her.
I usually skip OPs but this one is genuinely really good. There are so many people we haven't met yet. I wonder when the party will absorb them.

Also I'm just gonna say it: Boiled cabbage is gross and a misuse of ingredients.

Boiled/steamed cabbage alone is a misuse, but it's good to extend other dishes with and adds texture. Like Corned beef and cabbage works because it absorbs some of the flavors and as long as it's not overcooked, adds just enough crisp texture that it's not just beef (and carrots and potatoes)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey nice, Imari Williams. Love that guy's voice.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

cant cook creole bream posted:

No boiled cabbage means no cabbage rolls, no sarma, no golebki, so why don't you come outside and say that to my face

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/skarchomp/status/1750602836730069231?t=6sWKZu-F642GxNFsdCIGqw&s=19

Cute baby orc.

Also shut the gently caress up Chilchuck and keep kneading that bread.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 26, 2024

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Arc Hammer posted:

Cut baby orc.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm sure only manga readers would possibly give a poo poo, and I don't know if it's an early instalment thing or just a dub thing or what, but the Orc chief keeps distinguishing elves from humans and just generally using the word human wrong in this episode and it's driving me crazy. You're all human in this setting!

I definitely don't know any Japanese but apparently the direct translations from the manga:

quote:

Orcs have nicknames for the different races: elves are 'long-ears' (耳長 miminaga?), dwarves are 'depth-dwellers' (地底人 chisokojin?), half-foots are 'midgets' (小人 kobito?) and tall-men are 'long-legs' (足長 ashinaga?).

The question of 'what exactly does the term "human" mean in a world with many types of sentient (and non-sentient) humanoid (and non-humanoid) species?' does get brought up several times such as the case with last episode's orcs.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

VideoWitch posted:

It's like that in the manga too so it might just be an early installment thing, but the precise definition of human is a cultural thing in universe so it could just be orcs don't consider elves the same as humans

What? Elves, halflings, and dwarves are "human?"

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
it's brought up later (was the conversation where they go into detail part of the manga or in the extras?) but yeah, depending on the area. places where several sentient races coexist will use "human" a lot like "people", ie as umbrella terms for sentients. places where one race developed in isolation (I think Laios and Farlin came from a norther europe-expy place where other races were unheard of) will consider themselves "true" humans. and then there's places that put some arcane rule behind the term ("all races who have X number of bones are humans")

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yup, it's basically only really talked about in some bonus material but what we would think of as a human is a tallman, where as a human refers to tallmen, half-foots, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and ogres. Everyone else, like orcs and kobolds, are demi-humans

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it could just be the translation hasn't really understood that that's a meaningful distinction, like the scanlations didn't pick up on that until it was made explicit in the bonus material pretty late into the manga

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
A good friend has been watching this show with his very gentle six year old, on the impression it was a relatively kid-safe monsters and cooking show. Like a slightly older, more focussed Pokemon with life lessons.

The surprise tavern massacre did not go well

My friend spent a tear-filled hour trying to answer questions about why would the orcs do that, why did the elves hurt the orcs first, who the Bad Guys were, why does god let bad things happen to nice people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Squidster posted:

My friend spent a tear-filled hour trying to answer questions about why would the orcs do that, why did the elves hurt the orcs first, who the Bad Guys were, why does god let bad things happen to nice people

This your friend?

I dont know if explaining resurrection spells would help mend that experience.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 26, 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Squidster posted:

A good friend has been watching this show with his very gentle six year old, on the impression it was a relatively kid-safe monsters and cooking show. Like a slightly older, more focussed Pokemon with life lessons.

lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Squidster posted:

Leaning lessons about violence begetting violence at a young age.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
it's rated TV MA for a reason!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Squidster posted:

lmfao

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

"It's like fortnite"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like the detail that Orcish food is spicy. :kimchi:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

tbf if the tavern massacre was too intense for them they're probably not going to do well with some of the later stuff.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah it uh. It gets decidedly violent in parts.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

it goes bad homie do not let your kid watch this

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

lih posted:

it could just be the translation hasn't really understood that that's a meaningful distinction, like the scanlations didn't pick up on that until it was made explicit in the bonus material pretty late into the manga

It's just weird to me since the manga is finished so the distinction is out there, but that's probably expecting too much from a presumably quite small staff and I enjoy the dub a lot otherwise. I quite like Emily Rudd's Marcille, she sounds like an actual real human, which is a refreshing change in an anime dub.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm enjoying the dub, the voices feel good to me. Even Chilchuk who has had almost no lines outside of his spotlight episode. I especially enjoyed the orc chief's rough and tumble delivery this episode.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
finally got to watch the new episode! good stuff.

good marcille hair in this episode. marcille's hair is one of the high points of the manga so this will be the ultimate determinator of quality of the anime series.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kwyndig posted:

I'm enjoying the dub, the voices feel good to me. Even Chilchuk who has had almost no lines outside of his spotlight episode. I especially enjoyed the orc chief's rough and tumble delivery this episode.

Sung Won Cho had the perfect delivery for "We can make bread!"

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Squidster posted:

Didn't a guy get very clearly stabbed in the throat literally the previous episode?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes, Laios suffered a violent death at the hands of animated armor last episode.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's just weird to me since the manga is finished so the distinction is out there, but that's probably expecting too much from a presumably quite small staff and I enjoy the dub a lot otherwise. I quite like Emily Rudd's Marcille, she sounds like an actual real human, which is a refreshing change in an anime dub.

yeah i would generally not expect that level of quality from netflix's translators with the resources they're given, unfortunately

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Yes, Laios suffered a violent death at the hands of animated armor last episode.

in a trailer for the show, you see a shot of another character getting their brains blown out by an undine it's going to be pretty fuckin violent

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Sung Won Cho had the perfect delivery for "We can make bread!"

All of Delicious in Dungeon is just filler between the important parts, which are when somebody says something really stupid and everyone else yells at them at once

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This episode was weird whiplash, the first chunk with the golems was the funniest loving poo poo so far to me, and then the bar murder happened, what the gently caress? And then Senshi’s insane rambling about the bread while the orc chiefitan and Marcille debate race relations just made it great black comedy.

This series is real good y’all, this anime is doing its job because I’ll probably start collecting the manga when the cour finishes.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Senshi was the mother figure trying to keep Thanks Giving rolling while Boomer Uncle and one of the older kids get into it over politics. (You can decide who in the scene is the boomer Uncle)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're both Boomer Uncles.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Popo posted:

Senshi was the mother figure trying to keep Thanks Giving rolling while Boomer Uncle and one of the older kids get into it over politics. (You can decide who in the scene is the boomer Uncle)

Marcille was totally the Boomer Uncle in that whole exchange, although with the extenuating circumstances of having just seen like a dozen people murdered

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Marcille is definitely the group's designated boomer, both because she makes booms and because she'll randomly go on tirades about how she could buy a house just fine 50 years ago with her entry-level research job at the magic academy, maybe adventurers could do the same if they stopped wasting money on their doodads and gizmos. There are no jobs, Marcille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm sure only manga readers would possibly give a poo poo, and I don't know if it's an early instalment thing or just a dub thing or what, but the Orc chief keeps distinguishing elves from humans and just generally using the word human wrong in this episode and it's driving me crazy. You're all human in this setting!

I think it's a specific cultural thing on the part of the orcs. Elves are the big-poo poo superpower who meddle with everything (so they get distinguished/called out specifically) and tallmen are the most common kind of human (so they end up as the demihuman shorthand for adversary-humans in general); thus, while the orc chieftain is familiar with specific terms like "half-foot" and "tallman" for human subspecies, he uses humans and elves in the same way that people in our world might call out Europeans -- which can include very historically uneven European nationalities like the English or French as compared to the Irish or Finns -- and Americans in a colonial-historical or geopolitical context.