Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Elblanco posted:

You also have phoenix and the phoenix deck I've been running also has treasure cruise. So there's some good hits for it.

Sometimes Temporal Trespass too, though that might be boarded out in the match-ups you want a sweeper, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Is the full set up?
Spoilers are over and their new card gallery makes this impossible to tell

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Silhouette posted:

It'd be the highest MV card in the entire deck, so unless you're pitching it to itself, probably not

I think most builds of Phoenix are on Cruise.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Is the full set up?
Spoilers are over and their new card gallery makes this impossible to tell

Probably out this morning between 8-9am PT.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

VictualSquid posted:

Past Wizards: All those cute dogs are hounds.
Current Wizards: Actually all hounds are dogs, much better. Also, we have a new unleash the dogs commander.

4 years ago wizards!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/making-magic/wait-theres-core-2020-06-15

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Would you pay 250$ for a 64 person 10k$ sealed event?

Lets say they ran it like it was the pro tour, fully registered and sleeved cards, judges, etc.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 25, 2024

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Sickening posted:

No but that’s because I’m a bad magic player

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sunk Dunk posted:

:emptyquote:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

:same:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I couldn't think of a way to create a feeling of imposter syndrome faster

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't see why you would do that unless you really thought you could place, or valued just playing in the tournament at $100+ dollars. The prize pool is like 62% of the tickets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

distortion park posted:

I don't see why you would do that unless you really thought you could place, or valued just playing in the tournament at $100+ dollars. The prize pool is like 62% of the tickets.

Its a side event for a big local event that happens every year. So there are expenses for judges , venue, and such to consider but yeah, the rake seems kind of large.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

Lets say they ran it like it was the pro tour, fully registered and sleeved cards, judges, etc.

never

especially for a sealed event

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

never

especially for a sealed event

Oh man I didn't even see that it was sealed tbh, absolutely no way would I play in actual high stakes sealed

God imagine opening a terrible pool

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh man I didn't even see that it was sealed tbh, absolutely no way would I play in actual high stakes sealed

God imagine opening a terrible pool

Top8 is draft!

My suggestion with the people who run the event was that it should be pre-registered booster draft the entire way for that kind of entry fee but here we are. Its also an RCQ.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Just cube for keeps

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Sickening posted:

Does that mean making top16 gets you the entry fee back?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

elbkaida posted:

Does that mean making top16 gets you the entry fee back?

yep

All sealed decks will be pre-registered so players will be able to show up and immediately build.
All players will receive a playmat, sleeves, deck box, life pad and pen.

1st: $3000
2nd: $1500
3rd-4th: $750
5th-8th: $500
9th-16th: $250

Personally, spending 250 at a chance to win 3k isn't very enticing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

yep

All sealed decks will be pre-registered so players will be able to show up and immediately build.
All players will receive a playmat, sleeves, deck box, life pad and pen.

1st: $3000
2nd: $1500
3rd-4th: $750
5th-8th: $500
9th-16th: $250

Personally, spending 250 at a chance to win 3k isn't very enticing.

how does pre-registered work? as in they open the packs and tell you what you got?

250 bucks for sealed is for the highest of rollers

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

how does pre-registered work? as in they open the packs and tell you what you got?

250 bucks for sealed is for the highest of rollers

Someone opens all the sealed pool and registers them. You as a player receive an already opened and registered pool.

You just trust the people working the event do it fairly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For that kind of prize pool I definitely wouldn't trust "open, register, pass to the player across from you" player-based registration.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

For that kind of prize pool I definitely wouldn't trust "open, register, pass to the player across from you" player-based registration.

To fair, the folks who run the burton open are good people who do a good job.

On another topic, I just feel like I gotta share an important tip for all those that use Tcgplayer in the US.

If you are purchasing some cheaper cards where shipping makes up half or more of the cost, understand you are at the sellers mercy in a few ways. For example, the seller has the right to only fill part of your order and still charge you full shipping and you will not have any recourse. 1$ of cards and 1$ shipping? As long as they ship 1 card of your order they can refund you the rest of the card price and your boned on the shipping cost. Sometimes Tcgplayer will do a full refund, but most of the time not. So either buy cards where shipping is included or roll the dice.

If you order a single card and the seller sends you the wrong card, sends the wrong version (foil,non-foil,whatever), or lies about the condition..... keep in mind that they can screw you over. They can ask that you ship them back the card that they sent wrongly at your expense. They can then either make you wait forever or just lie and say they never got it. They rely on you being too angry/lazy to send it back , so the few that do they can just scam anyway without tcplayer intervention. Its almost always in your best interest to deny it was ever received. If the card you were sent happens to be a foil when you ordered non-foil, the chances that was intentional of the seller are pretty loving high (foils are hard to sell these days).f

All this could be solved by allowing buying to block shady stores, but all the protections these days are on the sellers side.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

I think most builds of Phoenix are on Cruise.

Oh poo poo right

Maybe then?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I like the set more than I thought I would, seeing it all together. There are some really sweet Commander cards, mostly in the precons themselves but a few in the main set.

Cases appear to be easy to solve, which is going to be good for limited.

Dogs continue to have an identity/color identity crisis. Can't play the red hellhound dogs-matter legend in a deck with the legally distinct Bant Shaggy and Scooby. :woof:

I really don't like all the text on creatures that doesn't matter at all if the creature wasn't turned face up. A lot of them seem bad when considering they cost an extra 3 plus the cost to turn them face up. Might be a slower limited format because of that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

. They can ask that you ship them back the card that they sent wrongly at your expense.

Not in this country.
Well, they can ask but you're under no obligation to do so, and they still owe you what you ordered.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

HootTheOwl posted:

Not in this country.
Well, they can ask but you're under no obligation to do so, and they still owe you what you ordered.

To be clear this is the case because of an old scam where you send someone something they didn't ask for, then demand payment. If anyone sends you anything that you didn't ask for, you are allowed to consider it a gift. (But you should probably give it back if it was an honest mistake.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

VictualSquid posted:

Past Wizards: All those cute dogs are hounds.
Current Wizards: Actually all hounds are dogs, much better. Also, we have a new unleash the dogs commander.

Sad that she's blue. Would love to have her in the Cats and Dogs deck.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

There's some discussion going around about this card:

Basically the way it's written everyone's first impression was either "lol they forgot to write the word target on it" or simply "this reads like a normal card" because it's so easy to not notice the lack of the word target or choose. MaRo was asked about this, and he said "the lack of the word target was intentional to hit cards like Lotus Field."

But there is established wording for this kind of thing if they want to get around hexproof using the word choose... The fact that this card doesn't use it, and also doesn't use the word target is really hosed up. It's very hard for people to realize this is an actual intentional wording to get around targeting at all rather than a mistake. To be honest this is the first time a weird and inconsistent way of wording a new card has really bothered me, but I think this kind of thing has been happening a lot the last few years of sets.

Ultimately it doesn't matter but going from Magic being very rigidly defined in how they word every effect so that people can better understand effects to "word things however you want as long as the wording is valid within the rules" seems like a huge step backwards, and people other than me can tell you WotC has been doing the latter a LOT in the last year or two of sets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hexproof cares about the word “target”. This card doesn’t say target. It’s not a big deal at all.

It’s already a game with a ton of unique cards and interactions that aren’t always immediately clear.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
personally i think they only left out "choose" because they couldn't fit it on the card, not as something to fret about being a new direction of magic or whatever. it doesn't say target, so effects that care about targetting don't apply, as is what has been the case for years and years

is there any other card you're thinking of when you say they've been doing this a lot?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's not a big deal from a gameplay point of view. I just think it's bad that they've been moving towards wording things in various different ways based on whatever the whims of the person who wrote the card was, from the system years ago where cards were always worded much more carefully to make sure the text is consistent between cards.

Don't you work in law? Where everyone spends a lot of effort to make sure everything they write is worded to mean exactly what they want?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
tfw they always worded things more consistently in the past

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ultima66 posted:

It's not a big deal from a gameplay point of view. I just think it's bad that they've been moving towards wording things in various different ways based on whatever the whims of the person who wrote the card was, from the system years ago where cards were always worded much more carefully to make sure the text is consistent between cards.

Don't you work in law? Where everyone spends a lot of effort to make sure everything they write is worded to mean exactly what they want?

i don't work in law and i wish i got paid anywhere near that much

i just disagree that wording's gotten looser, really? the game's wording is so regimented that the engine that runs mtg arena "reads the cards" and interprets exactly what the text says to make cards function, and this has worked like 99% of the time with few issues (at least from an outsider's perspective)

to rephrase what I was saying in my last post: it's not that having "choose a permanent" or similar wording 'disables' hexproof, it's that hexproof (or protection, or shroud, and so on) keeps the opponent from specifically targetting it. It's like how a player can be hexproof through a card like teyo or the white leyline whose name escapes me, but cards that say 'each opponent loses one life' or 'every player sacrifices a permanent' still apply to them because the word 'target' doesn't appear anywhere on the effect

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Eej posted:

tfw they always worded things more consistently in the past

It's been pretty stable in modern Magic and you know it.

flatluigi posted:

personally i think they only left out "choose" because they couldn't fit it on the card, not as something to fret about being a new direction of magic or whatever. it doesn't say target, so effects that care about targetting don't apply, as is what has been the case for years and years

is there any other card you're thinking of when you say they've been doing this a lot?

I'm thinking about it because within a friend group we commented on this the other day with the wording of Delney, and how it bothered one of them that Roaming Throne is worded weirdly compared to other trigger doubling effects. In that case I didn't notice but some comments came up about how WotC has been wording the same thing multiple different ways lately:

Roaming Throne and Norn both say "a triggered ability of...to trigger" while Delney says "an ability of...triggers". Only a triggered ability can, well, trigger, but it's inconsistent whether the wording specifies it has to be a triggered ability or not. Also, Roaming Throne says "it triggers an additional time" while the other two say "that ability triggers an additional time".

Like I said, this one I didn't notice or care about but it brought on a discussion that ended in everyone saying "yeah WotC words the same things differently all the time now that's just how it is."

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

There's some discussion going around about this card:

Basically the way it's written everyone's first impression was either "lol they forgot to write the word target on it" or simply "this reads like a normal card" because it's so easy to not notice the lack of the word target or choose. MaRo was asked about this, and he said "the lack of the word target was intentional to hit cards like Lotus Field."

But there is established wording for this kind of thing if they want to get around hexproof using the word choose... The fact that this card doesn't use it, and also doesn't use the word target is really hosed up. It's very hard for people to realize this is an actual intentional wording to get around targeting at all rather than a mistake. To be honest this is the first time a weird and inconsistent way of wording a new card has really bothered me, but I think this kind of thing has been happening a lot the last few years of sets.

Ultimately it doesn't matter but going from Magic being very rigidly defined in how they word every effect so that people can better understand effects to "word things however you want as long as the wording is valid within the rules" seems like a huge step backwards, and people other than me can tell you WotC has been doing the latter a LOT in the last year or two of sets.

I'm right there with you. Other cards that I can think of that break targeting do it for a gameplay reason (Council's Judgment using Voting, so the choices are made on resolution, Druid of Purification has opponents making the choices in order, both making you not the one Targeting, and adding retribution as a part of the mechanic, or removing a Target from a card so that it isn't a huge effect easily fizzleable)

This card just ignores the main way choices are made in magic specifically to hit a singular card, bypass a single mechanic. Bypassing the word Target just to hit Lotus Field makes cards inconsistent to play, read, or understand. You're certainly not the only one on this odd choice.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Deflecting palm has existed for a long time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Slio posted:

I'm right there with you. Other cards that I can think of that break targeting do it for a gameplay reason (Council's Judgment using Voting, so the choices are made on resolution, Druid of Purification has opponents making the choices in order, both making you not the one Targeting, and adding retribution as a part of the mechanic, or removing a Target from a card so that it isn't a huge effect easily fizzleable)

This card just ignores the main way choices are made in magic specifically to hit a singular card, bypass a single mechanic. Bypassing the word Target just to hit Lotus Field makes cards inconsistent to play, read, or understand. You're certainly not the only one on this odd choice.

it really is just that y'all are thinking of targetting as the default state, and it isn't. there's no "breaking targetting" or "bypassing the word target," it's just one of a lot of cards that just doesn't target

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Deflecting Palm has the word choice on it, as in you choose a source. Choose is used all over the place, I agree. I don't know if there are any other cards that make a player decide on one of multiple possible objects in the game to apply an effect to that does not have the word target or choose/choice on it.

E: Ok that's not true, discarding or exiling cards from hand or GY fall in this category.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

flatluigi posted:

it really is just that y'all are thinking of targetting as the default state, and it isn't. there's no "breaking targetting" or "bypassing the word target," it's just one of a lot of cards that just doesn't target

What I think is rubbing a lot of people the wrong way is that while this doesn't use "Target" it COULD HAVE used it. And it therefore feels like it "should" have used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ultima66 posted:

It's been pretty stable in modern Magic and you know it.

I'm thinking about it because within a friend group we commented on this the other day with the wording of Delney, and how it bothered one of them that Roaming Throne is worded weirdly compared to other trigger doubling effects. In that case I didn't notice but some comments came up about how WotC has been wording the same thing multiple different ways lately:

Roaming Throne and Norn both say "a triggered ability of...to trigger" while Delney says "an ability of...triggers". Only a triggered ability can, well, trigger, but it's inconsistent whether the wording specifies it has to be a triggered ability or not. Also, Roaming Throne says "it triggers an additional time" while the other two say "that ability triggers an additional time".

Like I said, this one I didn't notice or care about but it brought on a discussion that ended in everyone saying "yeah WotC words the same things differently all the time now that's just how it is."

They are worded that way because they ran out of text space.