Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I said come in! posted:

How does that make sense when Fortnite exists?

assuming it was a traditional survival game and they had competent network engineers, it likely included way more moving parts (re: monsters/animals with AI) that tanked network performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

One would think building and improving off the base of the inhouse WoW engine would be the better starting point.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

you’re not going to be able to sway him on this. it’s clear to that forbidden west is a milksop liberal power trip completely unwilling to engage with the themes and pathos of its predecessor, but impatom buys in wholesale to that kind of thing

You sure showed them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

because they made that decision, immediately before epic optimized ue4 for that use case for pubg and fortnite. worst possible timing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

because they made that decision, immediately before epic optimized ue4 for that use case for pubg and fortnite. worst possible timing

Gotcha, thank you. That is pretty bad timing yeah.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

a milksop liberal power trip

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless snail posted:

good gravy that stinks

honestly makes me wonder what they're even going to aim for as their next title. they're already late to the party on the major multiplayer genres currently in service, and i can't see anything good being spun off of SC2/WoW/OW2 given the state of the market and how those titles are doing

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Imagine if companies could actually allocate resources appropriately instead of throwing them in a toilet or exec pockets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarEternal posted:

Imagine if companies could actually allocate resources appropriately instead of throwing them in a toilet or exec pockets.

But how will the execs afford their fourth yacht?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How will shareholders know they are getting maximum value?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

good gravy that stinks

honestly makes me wonder what they're even going to aim for as their next title. they're already late to the party on the major multiplayer genres currently in service, and i can't see anything good being spun off of SC2/WoW/OW2 given the state of the market and how those titles are doing

Yeah nah
I can't speak for OW2 and D4, but WoW is actually super good and we're about to enter the victory lap stage before the next expansion launches November-ish

They've just added Dragonriding to all old world zones, which speeds up things incredibly, and they've also introduced NPC companions in dungeons.
So if you really struggle with learning new roles, or if you want to learn at a slower pace, you can just jump in and explore dungeons at your own pace with bots helping you out.

Would really like to see Starcraft 3 at some point

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Yeah nah
I can't speak for OW2 and D4, but WoW is actually super good and we're about to enter the victory lap stage before the next expansion launches November-ish

They've just added Dragonriding to all old world zones, which speeds up things incredibly, and they've also introduced NPC companions in dungeons.
So if you really struggle with learning new roles, or if you want to learn at a slower pace, you can just jump in and explore dungeons at your own pace with bots helping you out.

Would really like to see Starcraft 3 at some point

to be clear, i don't think WoW's in a bad state, but there's not a lot of room to spin off a new, successful title from it given the limited MMO market and the looming threat of the riot MMO coming in at some point along any theoretical WoW 2 development cycle

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Horizon Forbidden West comes out on PC the same day as DragDog 2, they can't help themselves

If history has told me anything, this is when Elden Ring DLC will drop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No please dont drop the DLC on the same day as Dragon's Dogma 2. As funny as that would be.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

to be clear, i don't think WoW's in a bad state, but there's not a lot of room to spin off a new, successful title from it given the limited MMO market and the looming threat of the riot MMO coming in at some point along any theoretical WoW 2 development cycle

Fair cop, I hear ya

They've already announced the next 3 expansions, and what regions they'll likely entail - it's super weird.
Anything WoW 2.0 related is surely bumped out to beyond 2030.

I've always been of the opinion War4 + WoW would be a super enjoyable concept. Storylines in one impact the other, and vice versa.

I don't know what a War4 would look like these days as the Alliance and Horde are like 2 steps away from merging at this point, or at the very least the end of Alliance Vs Horde story lines.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Striving for perfection in the survival genre when a pretty janky survival game just released into Early Access and sold about as much as any game has on steam is incredible

even Fortnite and Minecraft released early

just make the minimum viable product and rake in the cash is the whole game in the survival genre

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Fuckin' BURN

https://twitter.com/TheHornetsFury/status/1750612652873928949?t=h8L_kfCQMF-AM9biGr-nrw&s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

After playing almost all of Midnight Suns, the few hours I've played of Infinite Wealth are a loving breath of fresh air

Imagine, a game that works well on the computer

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

apparently after Diablo 4's Launch and Season One being "this really sucks pretty bad", Season Two being "yeah this is kinda alright", Season Three has fallen back down to "yeah wow this sucks really bad again"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

kliras posted:

according to jason schreier, the thing that sank blizzard's fps survival game was that the unreal engine couldn't support 100 players, and when they pivoted to their own mobile engine (sigh), it didn't go much better:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-25/microsoft-cancels-big-new-blizzard-game-after-six-years-of-development

Lmao epic and fortnite ftw

I said come in! posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vermain posted:

assuming it was a traditional survival game and they had competent network engineers, it likely included way more moving parts (re: monsters/animals with AI) that tanked network performance

Fortnite has npcs and animals on their map each season.

homeless snail posted:

Epic ftw

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Infinitum posted:

One would think building and improving off the base of the inhouse WoW engine would be the better starting point.
or whatever they had developed for Titan before it became Overwatch

surely a mobile game engine was not their best option

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Fortnite has npcs and animals on their map each season.

can you enslave them to work in the gun factory for you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/shinobi602/status/1750631788861399494?s=46

more layoffs

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vermain posted:

can you enslave them to work in the gun factory for you

Yes to the animals. You pay the human npcs to die in your war.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Like I can't imagine how short sighted it is to just not release your half-finished survival game

Enshrouded has been completely eaten by Palworld, I barely knew it existed before there was people saying the release date was unfortunate, and is still number 2 on the Steam charts

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is valheim in 1.0 yet?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Saint Freak posted:

Speaking of where the gently caress is Ultra Kaiju Monster Rancher on PC

Bamco more like BUMco.

This but ps4

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Is valheim in 1.0 yet?

nope still haven't completed their 2022/23 roadmap

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Anyone wanna play APEWAR

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Wow do not look at the reviews for this game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RE VIII is actually hard?!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

nothing like going to check a thing on bing and having it randomly decide to write a response without me actually inputting anything saying, "here's some information about how i, bing, am a miserable failure at capturing an increased percentage of the search engine market"

the surest sign of a true intelligence: self-doubt and depression

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
just picked up Tiny Rogues, Warsim, and Affogato

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Wow do not look at the reviews for this game

There was only one racist joke in the first page of reviews which is a lot less than I was expecting so that's a plus, I guess?

I hate steam sometimes.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Like I can't imagine how short sighted it is to just not release your half-finished survival game

Enshrouded has been completely eaten by Palworld, I barely knew it existed before there was people saying the release date was unfortunate, and is still number 2 on the Steam charts

they must have fired so many people that they literally didn't have enough left to work on it

e: it would be "funny" if this fucks up WoW right after they managed to get it back on track

Zokari fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 26, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zokari posted:

they must have fired so many people that they literally didn't have enough left to work on it

i'm betting it was more a case of the engine switch both costing development time and just not working out well, so by the time microsoft took over and started looking for cuts, the most obvious corner was the product that would require even more years and millions in additional funding to get to something you could reasonably shove into EA

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

So Palworld, a game designed by Satan itself it seems, full of every abusive gameplay loop the gamification nihilists have ever jizzed their pants over, that takes sillysweet pokemans and puts some dudebro callydutypubbygee guns in it, that looks like something Tencent market research Mentats have imagined in a fever dream, is somehow a good game???

Or is it "good" because it's saccharine and compelling enough that you can use it to hide from the world, your job, and your life in the RGB cave a little longer?

My wording is very edgy, and reveals what I suspect the answer may be, but its a serious question to the scholars in this thread - is it really a "good game" or is it kinda like upgrading from heroin to fent?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sumerian Telecom posted:

So Palworld, a game designed by Satan itself it seems, full of every abusive gameplay loop the gamification nihilists have ever jizzed their pants over, that takes sillysweet pokemans and puts some dudebro callydutypubbygee guns in it, that looks like something Tencent market research Mentats have imagined in a fever dream, is somehow a good game???

Or is it "good" because it's saccharine and compelling enough that you can use it to hide from the world, your job, and your life in the RGB cave a little longer?

My wording is very edgy, and reveals what I suspect the answer may be, but its a serious question to the scholars in this thread - is it really a "good game" or is it kinda like upgrading from heroin to fent?

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

good gravy that stinks

There was a SC squad-based FPS spinoff in development but it was cancelled a few years ago - maybe they thought it would compete too hard with Overwatch's PvE.

They were going to make a bunch of mobile games for all their franchises, they had teams in various stages of development back in 2021... but as the Bloomberg article points out, their in-house engine (which those games supposedly relied on) didn't get off the ground quickly enough and now it sounds like Microsoft cancelled the entire venture.

Warcraft Rumble, built in Unity, and Diablo Immortal, based on NetEase's own mobile engine, are the only survivors we know of.

Zokari posted:

e: it would be "funny" if this fucks up WoW right after they managed to get it back on track

Blizzard committed to a three-expansion trilogy roadmap, which is pretty crazy given the company's current troubles (they're trying to build multiple expansions at once now, like CoD), and D4 is no doubt undergoing a major rework internally that will probably be scheduled to hit with the first of multiple planned yearly expansions (lol, I'm not sure the first one makes it into 2024).