Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Exactly the same deal for Saotome Senshu. It was okay, too. No Teppu, but what is?

I actually liked both over Teppu personally. Largely in part since I couldn't like the lead in Teppu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

panko posted:

heed your own words and look elsewhere than the manga magazine marketed mostly towards the underaged for your bounteous 2d fix

'cuse me for thinking Ayakashi was a better, if trashier, read than Nue's. :shrug:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tosk posted:

has anyone read Soukyuu no Ariadne by the Claymore mangaka? I really liked Claymore and I feel like I attempted that series when it was relatively new but never followed it and I can't remember what my impression of it was, but it ended pretty recently

MMA getting cancelled would suck, I hope it manages to survive. It's got great potential to be a good punchman manga

I stuck with Ariadne from beginning to the end. Seconding what was said about the large hiatuses between scanlations making it harder to follow. Looking at it over the whole though The beginning is a wonderful scout the world thing, that sets up some cool mysteries and slowly segues into more standard shonen. Time travel is introduced as well as some other weird concepts that don’t really go anywhere.
Ultimately, Ariadne was cut short so some story threads don’t go anywhere or are just suddenly resolved.
It does have a pretty sweet ending though.

It’s a weirdly uneven series that I did enjoy reading. But it’s not nearly as good as Claymore.

Edit: regarding nue: I keep falling off. It feels like such a series that just has no idea if it wants to be bleach, harem or something else and as a result it just comes across as not quite anything even if I like the character Nue herself.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yagi needs to go back to gag manga, because Angel Densetsu was an all timer, and Claymore and Ariadne were... fine...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

panko posted:

heed your own words and look elsewhere than the manga magazine marketed mostly towards the underaged for your bounteous 2d fix

Related to this, is there a good English language resource for the various manga mags out there, other than the SJ app and Manga Plus? I'm aware that Mangadex sometimes links to official translations of series but I'd like to know more about the various weeklies/monthlies that are out there.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You can basically count Viz's other app as the Shogakugan serials (So that's Shonen Sunday at least) as I understand things.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ConanThe3rd posted:

'cuse me for thinking Ayakashi was a better, if trashier, read than Nue's. :shrug:

...y'know what, I don't disagree with this.

You take away all the smut, AT is still the story of one girl realizing that she's trans and the other realizing that she's extremely horny bi/poly and the both of them discovering that they can still care about each other despite all of their preconceived notions. I'll actually remember it existed, unlike Nue's, which I think I'll completely forget about six months after it's over

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jose posted:

My issue with the world building is that while we know other places than where the series starts exists we're not really shown them because its not part of the story. The magic users world though feels incredibly small. Like En rules it but it feels the size of a city essentially rather than a full world. I haven't actually finished the series because it wasn't finished when I read it but I was certainly feeling near the end so maybe that was intentional. I should probably just reread the whole thing as I really liked it otherwise

The magic users world is supposed to be small. The entire world was created by Chidaruma.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

ConanThe3rd posted:

false binary, you could just not read (or expect titillation from) either

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

I actually liked both over Teppu personally. Largely in part since I couldn't like the lead in Teppu.

Oh, I didn't like her either as a person but she was very engaging, especially as a contrast to the stereotypical sports manga protag. "What if Sasuke was the main character" as somebody called it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, I didn't like her either as a person but she was very engaging, especially as a contrast to the stereotypical sports manga protag. "What if Sasuke was the main character" as somebody called it.

I guess, but having been REALLY into MMA at the time it just reminded me of some fighters who really were like that and how unpleasant and terrible they were as people. Great and talented, but incredibly toxic. Of course, many fell and fell HARD.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm still bummed that hanakaku got cut down so early, i really loved the art in that one

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm still bummed that hanakaku got cut down so early, i really loved the art in that one

Same. :(

Check out Medalist for something similar with also amazing art.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ok, the new Oneshot/Prologue/Sampler called No\Name from that "Creators" thingie is really drat good and I want it serialized.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Rather abrupt ending but that's common enough with these creators manga. Pretty good stuff though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I know its actually a seinen series but since we've been talking about Dorohedoro I reread/finished it this time and the world didn't feel small on this read. I also think its wild that Hayashida Q wrote/drew the entire thing herself with no assistants even if it was monthly releases of 24 pages. Gutted that we're clearly not getting the rest of the anime

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Jose posted:

Gutted that we're clearly not getting the rest of the anime

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-01-09/dorohedoro-anime-gets-sequel-as-streaming-series/.206148

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gently caress yeah

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jose posted:

I know its actually a seinen series but since we've been talking about Dorohedoro I reread/finished it this time and the world didn't feel small on this read. I also think its wild that Hayashida Q wrote/drew the entire thing herself with no assistants even if it was monthly releases of 24 pages. Gutted that we're clearly not getting the rest of the anime
I'm sorry. She did what! Mad respect because Dorohedoro has some very detailed art for both the characters and the scenery.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So I read it on one of the many different sites but this one had the official Viz stuff so you got all the volume extras but included what she wrote in the final volume as a sort of thank you/goodbye. Unsure if its available to read online legally so i'll post this screenshot of that particular bit

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
lol, guess Hoshino is dead. (Kaiju side story) that’s the problem with prequels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also reminder for Dorohedoro fans that Q jumped right into a new series, Dai Dark, which has been running for a while now. It is more sci-fi than Dorohedoro's fantasy and is a lot of fun.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I really liked Dorohedoro for the bizarre fever dream thing it had going on, right up until just before the ending where things got even weirder and more confusing until I had no idea what was happening anymore and it somehow managed to feel “3 chapters away from finishing!” for like 15 chapters.

That’s probably a bit unfair, it probably reads better in one sitting but one chapter at a time it felt like whole chapters were just... undoing what happened the previous chapter as people slowly get resurrected or the same chef’s knife gets randomly lost/found/stolen.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Mikane and the Sea Woman:

This is an incredibly cute chapter even the professor could read the room. I just hope nothing gets between these two kids...nothing at all.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto: :tviv:

MMA: :tviv:

Kagurabachi: That was pretty cool, though I'm very confused. Who are all these guys?

Undead: This should be good.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MMA: :drat:

Blue Box: Oh thank goodness, only a sprain.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Nope not falling for this one. That's going to be Gaku disguised as Nagumo and vice versa as he attempts to assassinate Slur

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Nope not falling for this one. That's going to be Gaku disguised as Nagumo and vice versa as he attempts to assassinate Slur

now that you point it out idk how I don’t just make that conclusion.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Last Celebration posted:

now that you point it out idk how I don’t just make that conclusion.

:same:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto: compared to most offscreen losses I'm kinda okay this, not sure why.

Like this is shocking in a good way.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Honestly, best thing is that I thought of that. But I just can’t be sure. It makes sense for Gaku to beat Nagumo, but it would also be a huge :drat: if Gaku beat Nagumo.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Sakamoto: All the weapons stuck in the body are Nagumo's.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol at the warning at the beginning of this week's Witch Watch.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

muscles like this! posted:

Lol at the warning at the beginning of this week's Witch Watch.

That chapter was just great, especially the sleigh gag. I was laughing the entire time.

Dawgstar posted:

MMA: :drat:

Blue Box: Oh thank goodness, only a sprain.

Yeah, and that there's another tournament. I was afraid that was it for her basketball career.

Cipher Academy: welp, guess it is the end after all

Two On Ice: chapters like this are when the manga is actually decent, but it feels like too little, too late

Green Green Greens: :stare:

Well, drat

The God Before Me: okay, I needed the explanation here lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also forgot to read last week's Roboco and a chapter focused around a robot henchman in crab armor has no right to be this heartwarming.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakamoto Days: Nagumo has always been tricky, he's just playing dead because Gaku proved to be out of his league.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also forgot to read last week's Roboco and a chapter focused around a robot henchman in crab armor has no right to be this heartwarming.

The part about needing to do something but just opening TikTok again was too real.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto: :tviv:

MMA: :tviv:

Kagurabachi: That was pretty cool, though I'm very confused. Who are all these guys?

Undead: This should be good.

Akane-banashi: :tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

new world trigger dropped and I still don’t remember anything about more than half of these characters but I’m very excited for the next few chapters