Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Jerusalem posted:

I loved the Leela/4 dynamic, him explaining how the TARDIS works is like a core memory for me :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ01T3_E6YQ

"... that's silly."

To me a classic companion is one who's prepared to tell the Doctor he's talking bollocks now and then. Sarah Jane, Tegan, Romana, right back to Barbara even.

Leela is high on that list, if only because she's usually right and has a better handle on the situation than the Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wonder if you went back and totaled lines, what percentage of the things the doctor has ever said was bullshitting.

It's gotta be at least 10%

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay maybe I am crazy but it seems to me that the Doctors scarf has gotten larger in Season 15. Is this accurate? It looks way bigger than it use to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Okay maybe I am crazy but it seems to me that the Doctors scarf has gotten larger in Season 15. Is this accurate? It looks way bigger than it use to.

They changed it multiple times during Baker's run and in season 15 it was quite a bit longer for at least some stories. It'll get longer, though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Random Stranger posted:

They changed it multiple times during Baker's run and in season 15 it was quite a bit longer for at least some stories. It'll get longer, though.

Okay yeah because I was like "Has that scarf gotten wider" and it most certainly has.

Okay i finally just ordered some Jelly Babies from Amazon after the doctor talking about them all the time.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 26, 2024

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

Thanks to a random YouTube comment, I was made aware of Season 10 never getting a soundtrack release and these account

https://twitter.com/S10albumwhen/status/1749170740937605258

It's a drat shame because I freaking love that score. 12's goodbye speech being a combination of his theme and The Shepard's Boy is so drat good. It was Murry ending on a crazy good run of scores. (Though of course his new theme is great too.)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

"Well why would the BBC want to own it. That series went off the air over five years ago! Nobody remembers it except for a few nerds! And if some of them want to own doctorwho.co.uk for their little radio show thing, who cares?" -- some BBC high muckety muck in 1996

Right before they wondered out loud if there were any old episode tapes that could be erased forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
When S10 was done, Gold was off Who and had no inclination to arrange for the score to be released. Now he’s back on the series, he might be warmer to that notion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Overall I enjoyed The Invasion of Time but I thought it was weird that we lost both K-9 and Leela just out of loving nowhere at the end of the season. I'm really going to miss Leela. K-9 not so much but the Doctor is making a new K-9. I was surprised also that the bad guys we thought were the bad guys were not in fact the actual bad guys but it was the Sontarans? anyway that was kind of weird.

Overall I wasn't really into this one as the other seasons last serial but it was still pretty decent.

Anyway I have jelly babies on the way for the weekend and no plans so I'll probably get through another season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hollismason posted:

I have a vague memory of a story (from Tom I think, so possibly bullshit) about an older fan (or possibly a fan's grandmother?) knitting a scarf for Tom and it was GIGANTIC and they decided to run with it as part of his actual costume for a lark?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

His scarf is always the same size. It just sometimes looks bigger on the outside.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
One of the scarves was two scarves attached together wasn't it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

One of the scarves was two scarves attached together wasn't it?

Now that you say that I'm wondering if the story I heard was that they added the gift one to the regular one?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

I have a vague memory of a story (from Tom I think, so possibly bullshit) about an older fan (or possibly a fan's grandmother?) knitting a scarf for Tom and it was GIGANTIC and they decided to run with it as part of his actual costume for a lark?

Begonia Pope knitted the scarf, inspired by a poster painted by Toulouse Lautrec. Costume designer James Acheson gave Pope several balls of wool but no instructions about the length of the scarf to be produced. Pope used all of the wool to knit a scarf 20 feet long. The production team loved the result and, after shortening the scarf slightly, it was used as part of the costume.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, that's even better. Amazing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

To me a classic companion is one who's prepared to tell the Doctor he's talking bollocks now and then. Sarah Jane, Tegan, Romana, right back to Barbara even.

I feel like they understood that pretty well when they restarted the show. Can't speak for 13's era (fell off the show) but just about all of the other modern companions would be pretty ready to tell him he's talking bollocks.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 26, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Something I missed on the first watch of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship: the Doctor claiming that he’s (probably) a Sagittarius. I laughed when I looked up the dates that a Sagittarius is born under.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

The_Doctor posted:

Begonia Pope knitted the scarf

Excuse me, but I think you'll find that it was actually Madame Nostradamus--a witty little knitter--who knitted the scarf :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

Something I missed on the first watch of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship: the Doctor claiming that he’s (probably) a Sagittarius. I laughed when I looked up the dates that a Sagittarius is born under.

[checks]

Aw, that's a cute detail

Airdate of An Unearthly Child was Nov 23rd, for those curious

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Haha, I don't think that ever registered with me at all, very cute :3:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MikeJF posted:

I feel like they understood that pretty well when they restarted the show. Can't speak for 13's era (fell off the show) but just about all of the other modern companions would be pretty ready to tell him he's taking bollocks.

13 never really did anything in the episodes so no bollocks were talked to begin with.

Sad, but true.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There is a bit in the finale of Chibnall's first season where The Doctor admits she was talking poo poo about guns and weapons but it doesn't get any real followup.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Overall I enjoyed The Invasion of Time but I thought it was weird that we lost both K-9 and Leela just out of loving nowhere at the end of the season. I'm really going to miss Leela. K-9 not so much but the Doctor is making a new K-9. I was surprised also that the bad guys we thought were the bad guys were not in fact the actual bad guys but it was the Sontarans? anyway that was kind of weird.
The production of Invasion of Time was a shitshow because they had a bad budget shortfall (in part because the economy collapsed, so the money they'd been assigned to make the show didn't stretch as far) and Graham Williams and Anthony Read, the script editor at the time, had to scramble to lash together a script they could make with spare parts. ("David Agnew", the person the story's attributed to, is a pseudonym.)

There's one other time during Baker's run that they had to get the script editor to come up with an entirely new script on the fly and put it out under the David Agnew name, but you're a ways off from that and it panned out much better. :)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Edward Mass posted:

I wonder if Moffat slipped that in, it's the sort of thing he likes to do- Amy was born when Doctor Who went off air, met the Doctor for the first time in 1996 when the McGann movie came out and for a second time in 2008 when it was announced Moffat would be taking over; Clara was born on the 23rd of November and her mother died right before the new series started airing. Plus of course Moffat's big episodes took place on the airdate if he could manage it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I think after Baker I'm going to skip back to Pertwee

Do some Troughton, era owns

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do some Troughton, era owns

Oh look, a great opinion!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What serials should I cherry pick from Troughton and Pertwee. I know one of them has to be original appearance of the Master.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Hollismason posted:

What serials should I cherry pick from Troughton and Pertwee. I know one of them has to be original appearance of the Master.

Obvious caveat of personal opinions but..

Troughton

Power of the Daleks *- great and probably the best reconstruction/animated, I saw it in the theater and did not feel ripped off in the slightest. However for this reason you may want to hold off after a few regular stories before diving in. It's his first story, though, so you lose that bit of context on return viewing.

Tomb of the cybermen - another classic and return of cybermen

Enemy of the world - I enjoy this one for Troughton double act (he plays the villain as well, and recently had episodes found so it's mostly complete)

The web of fear - sequel to abominable snowmen, return of the great intelligence, colonel (soon brigadier) Stewart and unit

The Mind Robber - a trip to the land of fiction to visit the "other" master. Great fun, bit of padding.

The Invasion - the return of the cybermen in force, the return of the brigadier (no longer colonel) and a classic

The war games - many say his best, and I can't argue except for the padding. First visit of The Time Lords and probably them at their most powerful.

Pertwee

The Daemons is a favorite of mine for a quick adventure, but I'm pretty spent from my Troughton list so imma call it quits 😂

Edit of except I'll add the obvious Terror Of the Autons for the master appearing as you mentioned. Not a bad standalone either iirc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Troughton era IMO is super repetitive even by the standards of other repetitive eras, and kinda sucks as a result, but check out The Mind Robber and The Enemy Of The World if nothing else, as well as The War Games. IMO Seeds of Doom is pretty good too.

Everyone loves Tomb but it's a bit pants IMO.

Pertwee's got a really great first season, I'd check them all out. And then Terror Of The Autons (your Master story), The Mind Of Evil, The Three Doctors and the first Peladon story. The Time Warrior and Invasion (Of The Dinosaurs) are good too.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 26, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Quote ain't edit.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Hollismason posted:

From Troughton, The Mind Robber is amazing and probably the best story he was in and The Invasion has the original appearance of UNIT, so worth it if you're going to be doing a deep dive on Pertwee (it also has one of the show's best villains, Tobias Vaughn, and his lackey Packeeeeeeer). Also The War Games ends his era with some big reveals and sets up major constraints the Doctor will be working with in the early Pertwee era. EDIT: Oh, and Power of the Daleks might be the best Dalek story to come out of the 1960s, even if it's only available in animated form now.

For Pertwee, Spearhead From Space is worth watching both because it establishes the "new normal" for his first three seasons and it introduces the Autons, who come back in the first Master story, Terror of the Autons. The Master's in all the serials in season 8 and Roger Delgado, who established the role, really is one of the best guys to ever do it, so you may want to watch the entire season, but if you watch only one other story from it, check out The Daemons. (Season 7 and 8 are absolute bangers.)

The Curse of Peladon is great but skip The Monster of Peladon, it's a very very third-rate sequel which at best adds nothing to the original and at worst actively damages stuff it did well. In fact, in general you will probably want to skip most of season 11 other than The Time Warrior, which is a banger and introduces the Sontarans and Sarah Jane. Roger Delgado died in a tragic accident in the break between production blocks after The Time Warrior, and because the production team for the Pertwee era was very tight-knit (he had the same script editor, Terrance Dicks, for his entire run, and all but one of his stories was produced by Barry Letts, so after four or so years they were feeling like family) everyone was tore up about it and it really shows.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hollismason posted:

Troughton and Pertwee's eras are much less varied than either Hartnell's or Baker's fwiw, so I'd not marathon them back to back in the same way.

Having said that,

Power of the Daleks
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Enemy of the World
The Web of Fear
The Mind Robber (a weird outlier, good fun)
The Invasion
The Seeds of Death
The War Games

for Troughton

and

Spearhead from Space
Doctor Who and the Silurians
The Ambassadors of Death
Inferno
Terror of the Autons (first Master serial)
Day of the Daleks
Carnival of Monsters
Frontier in Space
The Time Warrior
The Invasion of the Dinosaurs

for Pertwee. I'm not personally a fan of The Mind of Evil or The Curse of Peladon from Open Source Idiom's list, and fundamentally disagree with the "super repetitive" claim about the Troughton era when the Pertwee era is right there, but ymmv.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

/\ Good selections above!

Hollismason posted:

Spearhead from Space is a good intro to the 3rd Doctor and the setup that the show would be following for at least the next couple of years. Inferno is a drat good story in that season too. The first story from the second season is the first appearance of the Master, and for better and for worse it's also a follow-up to Spearhead from Space that repeats a few of the same beats by necessity.

In all I think the stories in Seasons 7 and 8 for Pertwee are all quite strong, though the show did start leaning a bit heavily on The Master which continued into the next couple of seasons until Roger Delgado's untimely death. Of Pertwee's Dalek stories, I only really have strong memories of Planet of the Daleks, the other two were kinda forgettable. If anything, Pertwee's run on the show got a little too comfortable, there was a lovely "family" feel to the supporting cast but characters got rather broad and often comedic for no reason - it was lovely to grow up watching and to go back and rewatch though, like slipping into something comfortable.

For Troughton, I'd give anything that still has a full run of the episodes a shot, they're all mostly strong though The Krotons has a very poor reputation. Season 4 doesn't have any complete stories from memory, so from season 5 I'd definitely recommend Tomb of the Cybermen and The Web of Fear (first appearance of what would become the Brigadier, who features heavily in the Pertwee era and beyond), and in season 6 The Mind Robber, The Invasion and The Seeds of Death. I absolutely LOVE The War Games, but it's 10 episodes long which might be a bit much. It is however Troughton's final story, and it introduces specifically for the first time The Time Lords as a race.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 26, 2024

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

For Troughton, I'd give anything that still has a full run of the episodes a shot, they're all mostly strong though The Krotons has a very poor reputation. Season 4 doesn't have any complete stories from memory, so from season 5 I'd definitely recommend Tomb of the Cybermen and The Web of Fear (first appearance of what would become the Brigadier, who features heavily in the Pertwee era and beyond), and in season 6 The Mind Robber, The Invasion and The Seeds of Death. I absolutely LOVE The War Games, but it's 10 episodes long which might be a bit much. It is however Troughton's final story, and it introduces specifically for the first time The Time Lords as a race.
(Web of Fear and The Invasion aren't complete.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I completely forgot those had missing episodes :doh:

I guess I've gotten too used to mix-and-matching the live action with the animated recon episodes they did releases for.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I completely forgot those had missing episodes :doh:

I guess I've gotten too used to mix-and-matching the live action with the animated recon episodes they did releases for.

They're still solid recommendations, mind you! I'm less hot on Web of Fear because it's building on a story which is entirely incomplete and also had that classic 1960s-style "let's just cast a bunch of white guys as Tibetans" thing going on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cool thanks I'll hop around after Baker then move onto the later Doctors

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Terror of the Autons is always a good watch because it features Harry Towb who's always great, and he does some of the best "being attacked by a chair" acting I've ever seen. It's up there with Michael Sheard getting choked out by Darth Vader.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ooo here's mine.

Troughton

The Power of the Daleks
The Moonbase
The Macra Terror
Tomb of the Cybermen
The Mind Robber
The Invasion
The War Games

Pertwee

Spearhead from Space
Inferno
Terror of the Autons
The Claws of Axos
The Daemons
The Three Doctors
Carnival of Monsters
The Green Death
The Time Warrior

The Invasion is an interesting one because it was effectively a test run for the Pertwee era and introduces UNIT, plus it was the first story to have missing parts restored by animation. It also features two of the era's best villains, namely Tobias Vaughn and Packer, the former marvellous portrayed by Kevin Stoney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmMb4chvGNo

I do hope they eventually animate The Daleks' Masterplan so we can experience Magic Mavic Chen in all his glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Fil5000 posted:

Terror of the Autons is always a good watch because it features Harry Towb who's always great, and he does some of the best "being attacked by a chair" acting I've ever seen. It's up there with Michael Sheard getting choked out by Darth Vader.

He's also in The Seeds of Death, from Troughton's era, so watch that too :)

Though my personal favorite role of Towb's is from the movie Patton, he plays the Army cook who gets chewed out by Patton when he arrives to take over II Corps in North Africa ("Oh hell, General, sir, I'm a cook!")