Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

some of these posts really sound like the cspam posts a few months into covid where people were confidently asserting that food was going to run out and it would be The Road within the year. Can't remember the guy who wrote novella length posts about prepping for the end times who either got banned or left for another site.

The American empire is falling faster than most expected, but America can be driven out of its imperial holdings without it being instantly time to pick out your post apocalyptic shoulder-pads and gimp masks. I think historical metaphors for America are kinda dumb, but even if you accept Rome == America then it took Rome generations to fall even as it lost the frontiers and Rome actually had borders it had to defend.

The US ruling elite are dumb evil bastards, but they don't have to turn commie to do the bare minimum to keep the buildings from burning down around their heads (specifically their heads). Everything about UBI seemed centuries away and then they implemented a half rear end version during covid so things could simmer down a bit. I think the ruling elite have no interest in going out in a blaze of glory committed to their ideology so they'll make concessions or take deals as they have to. I definitely think the QoL for Americans is going to continue to drop over this century, but there's a lot of space between the USD being the global reserve currency and it being useless mattress stuffing.

I actually wonder if China would even want the US to turn into a chaotic wasteland. They are so cautious and long term minded they might even let up the pressure voluntarily if things got too bad. A US gone to pieces would be global destabilizing and would accelerate Chinese leadership, but there would be a tense chaotic transition period and perhaps China would prefer to continue the slow approach.

crop failures are already here, and climate change is rapidly accelerating. 2023 was very different from any previous year (even 2022), ocean warming broke with decades of data and 2024 is already on track to be worse

i don't know when widespread crop failures will cause the empire to break down, but we're entering unprecedented territory here. and the only move america knows is "uhhh invade someone and take their food?" if that doesn't work? well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Truga posted:

those resources are already owned by your betters and protected by their private military detachments lmao

like, i don't think america's gonna descend into some post-apoc hell society or anything, but poo poo is absolutely going to get worse and more expensive before it gets better, and the worse it gets the more police presence there will be

Yeah that sounds like a random city dweller living in a third world country currently.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

skooma512 posted:

I have a Chinese surname, but my family is Korean. I fully expect to be sent to a camp or lynched in the street when the US gets the war it wants with China and takes serious losses and doesn't just cruise (missile) its way to victory in 2 months like it's used to. It'll be because the Russians Chinese infiltrated the government and stabbed America in the back

don't worry about stuff like that

nazi germany succeeded because the other states wouldn't support opposition against it
No one likes The rulers in the West
No one will save them
No one will try to
they will not be able to pay people enough
capital is choking to death on itself It already blew its death load It can't do it

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
If it was capable of enacting much more oppression without totally destabilizing itself, from how it is right now?
it would be doing it right now preventatively it can't do it lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FirstnameLastname posted:

who's going to pay the cops

who will make the stuff they buy with the money they get paid
in a reversal of fortune, foreign powers will be propping up the dictatorial police state to prevent it from descending into chaos, because a chaotic international player with 5000 nukes can be a problem :v:

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

If it was capable of enacting much more oppression without totally destabilizing itself, from how it is right now?
it would be doing it right now preventatively it can't do it lol

true, but the bloodthirsty idiots think any failure just means they need to push things further
https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1743333079702520198

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

hamas ftw posted:

true, but the bloodthirsty idiots think any failure just means they need to push things further

Domino theory is back, in pog form

e: "if my pants fall down, everyone will see my tiny dick!"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
fortunately, in neoliberalism bloodthirsty idiots are like 4th row in the halls of power behind money, more money, and even more loving money

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
quit being hopeless you bunch of noobs
the revolution is gonna happen and knock over all of the old stuff they have run out of everything they have to maintain their order they can't do it anymore than they are now they've been trying to for years

it will look the way that it looks in movies for people like musk and bezos, for everyone else it will be big fireworks, capital won't be able to ruin it, it won't have anywhere to attack from, china runs things now and that's that, ppl just don't realize it, but they do in every meaningful way and will only continue to

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Truga posted:

in a reversal of fortune, foreign powers will be propping up the dictatorial police state to prevent it from descending into chaos, because a chaotic international player with 5000 nukes can be a problem :v:

If that happened, China could just pay off the rulers to fix things

anything is worth the safety of the entire planet
China's not capitalist, they care about that

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oh no not a massive tax write down

How could this have happened

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/northrop-grumman-loses-a-billion-dollars-on-the-b-21-program

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

hamas ftw posted:

crop failures are already here, and climate change is rapidly accelerating. 2023 was very different from any previous year (even 2022), ocean warming broke with decades of data and 2024 is already on track to be worse

i don't know when widespread crop failures will cause the empire to break down, but we're entering unprecedented territory here. and the only move america knows is "uhhh invade someone and take their food?" if that doesn't work? well,

you're saying America can't grow food? No where in big rear end America with lots of different climates? Is Mexico not going to grow any food either? Global warming is not instant deserts in every part of the continent.

I'm old enough to remember peak oil in the 80s/90s when so many people on the fringe were confidently stating we should have run out of oil by now and a lot of this talk reminds me of it. Global warming is mega bad and increasing, but that doesn't make it billions of people die instantly bad. Maybe we're on a one way trip to hell, but we have plenty of time to suffer further.

America grows a ton of food, but in the bizarro world of global finance it makes more sense for them to export that and import food from elsewhere. There's a lot of dumb poo poo countries like America do because profits are elsewhere, but when things change and suddenly its profitable (because things get worse) to do something different they shift. You see that in oil where old unprofitable ways of obtaining oil became viable as the price increased.

I know the American elite are mega dumb, but I think everyone shrugging and starving when it would be easy to grow plenty of food here is not a strong case to make. There are ways to grow food more intensively and productively that no one bothers because cost that would suddenly become viable if things became more desperate. That isn't to say things can't suck in all kinds of ways (baby food shortage, drugs shortages, bridges collapsing, etc) but that isn't the same as shrugging as the entire bloody society collapses.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
"The loss is largely driven by a change in our assumptions regarding funding to mitigate the impact of macroeconomic disruptions on the LRIP [low-rate initial production] phase of the program and higher projected manufacturing costs that reflect recent supplier negotiations and our experience in completing the first aircraft," Northrop Grumman's release explains. "Macroeconomic disruptions" includes higher than expected inflation and other broader economic factors.

"This loss is because the economy is broken with no explanation or expected duration. Things are more expensive than we thought, we've kept planning to fix these problems for years, none of them get fixed and we don't have the leverage we thought we had, because the product is trash for War and the cost, only useful for profit and kid murder"

maybe thats what effective altruism is lmao

profiting as much as possible as fast as possible to starve material funding from competing capitalist murder plots

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
FirstnameLastname is spitting it out hot today. I agree with their views:there is absolutely nothing that the rich could do but haven't, because if there was any lever they could pull to stop this decline they'd do it in a heartbeat.

It is also in my opinion wrong to think that the wellbeing of the third and former second world would not be a boon to us. However much we received in pillage from the periphery it pales in comparison to what we could get working with other nations. As well, the rebellious spirit of any nation nucleates from incredibly small numbers of people at first: Hamas (which is currently beating the US backed colonial nation of Israel) split off from the Muslim brotherhood, which was itself founded by less than a dozen members at its very beginning. There are plenty of ways for a small group of people to successfully act out to materially benefit themselves and their loved ones, and any success could and almost certainly would cause them to swell massively in membership the second any do so. The money paid to cops only has value for what it buys. The budget of cops is paid from the very capital they guard, and if the material cost to pay and equip/maintain them cost more than what is generated from said guarded capital then they will be cut back, either by their employer or their chief.

Takes resources to guard resources, and buddy they don't wanna make anything even if it means the cops dipset at a firecracker.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
America isn't going to run out of food theoretically, but...it being exported abroad while the population goes hungry isn't going to be popular.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hamas ftw posted:

when faced with a decision between growing their circle of compassion or shrinking it, democrats will always choose the latter
https://twitter.com/complex/status/1263848140140052489
it's the spiteful flailing of an imperial ruling class that can feel control slipping away and would rather commit atrocities than (god forbid) compromise, admit they're not what they once were, and risk someone laughing at their weakness. backing azov nazis in ukraine, arming zionist nazis in palestine, and bombing the houthis are all results of this approach. dying empires love doing this poo poo, even if it makes a dozen new enemies:

the cruelty is the point

Justinian 2 knew a lot about cutting off the nose to spite the face...

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

North America produces a lot of food even while most of America sits empty. America isn't fighting abroad desperately for resources it can't obtain (unlike some older empires), but for much more complicated and dumber reasons. A lot of America's agricultural production is allocated stupidly, but that could be changed as conditions require. There doesn't have to be a communist revolution to get the capitalists to put a little more effort into feeding the country especially as things threaten to spin out of control.

There is so much space between America the hyperpower that can direct its will at any point in the globe and The Road/Mad Max/etc. America could exist perfectly fine as a middling power contained entirely within the continent. Americans will throw a fit about having to do so, but it doesn't make it impossible or that the elite will choose nuclear obliteration over just being Canada's bigger brother.

Zombie/apocalypse movies are pro-cop poo poo that suggest society instantly kills itself when not kept together by a thin blue line. Even Americans, dumb as we are, can organize to keep things going when forced to do so.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hamas ftw posted:

If I stop headbutting this brick wall everyone will think I'm a coward so I have to keep going.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

North America produces a lot of food even while most of America sits empty. America isn't fighting abroad desperately for resources it can't obtain (unlike some older empires), but for much more complicated and dumber reasons. A lot of America's agricultural production is allocated stupidly, but that could be changed as conditions require. There doesn't have to be a communist revolution to get the capitalists to put a little more effort into feeding the country especially as things threaten to spin out of control.

There is so much space between America the hyperpower that can direct its will at any point in the globe and The Road/Mad Max/etc. America could exist perfectly fine as a middling power contained entirely within the continent. Americans will throw a fit about having to do so, but it doesn't make it impossible or that the elite will choose nuclear obliteration over just being Canada's bigger brother.

Zombie/apocalypse movies are pro-cop poo poo that suggest society instantly kills itself when not kept together by a thin blue line. Even Americans, dumb as we are, can organize to keep things going when forced to do so.

The capitalists are unable to do reform. Remember it took one of their own to force even the mildest of reforms on them to create a functional prosperous society and they never forgave him for that and set out on a crusade to make sure that no one ever could, and their are no more FDRs in the wings, its all Kamalas and Mayor Rolatboy as far as the eye can see

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

dead gay comedy forums posted:

IDK what your peculiar ideological perspective of things is. For communists, the old maxim of "class above nation" is also about reminding people to not turn national prejudices inward, because it makes a lot harder to have solidarity with your people if you think on those terms

Absolute fucktard cretins exist anywhere, and the same goes to exemplary people. To think that Americans are uniquely peculiar in their impossibility for struggle is just a spectacular inversion of exceptionalism -- "we are exceptionally bad" still serves as an excuse of being exceptional, which philosophically speaking, also means that the rules do not apply. If the rules do not apply, why bother, right?

I do think that the material conditions of the USA created a deep and pervasive form of alienation that does make things more difficult in many different ways and seem more despairing, but they are not magically exceptional. Those are material conditions: these things change and can be transformed by human action, by people. And by bringing into this focus, different things become possible, since it isn't some impossibility of nature being dealt with here, but rather very human phenomena. All that is solid melts into air.

there are so many ways life sucks so much in America compared to Turkey, both socially and even materially. I'd say America is exceptionally enshittified.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

rudecyrus posted:

wtf is with all the doomerism? we're seeing real signs of the global capitalist empire receding and everyone's wailing "oh god, there is nigh but misery and woe ahead!" we had 400,000+ march on washington earlier this month to demand the end of the genocide and posters are unironically saying "americans are a uniquely evil and selfish people, there is no hope".
what do the demands do? 26 million people marched or protested for George Floyd. 5.6 million people for the 2017 women's march. 2 million people for the anti school shooting march for our lives. 1 million for the march for science in 2017*. 1 million against nuclear proliferation in 1982.

* the Trump years were incredibly succ:

quote:

a non-partisan movement to celebrate science and the role it plays in everyday lives.[12] The goals of the marches and rallies were to emphasize that science upholds the common good and to call for evidence-based policy in the public's best interest.

also lol

quote:

A March 2003 Gallup poll conducted during the first few days of the war showed that 5% of the population had protested or made a public opposition against the war compared to 21% who attended a rally or made a public display to support the war.[6]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at how fast a thread can implode

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
It is surprising how fast the US seems to be losing its grip on the world. As it is I don't think I'll be able to convince the crowd that has been saying nothing matters for half a decade that poo poo could go down in an instant until poo poo went down a couple years ago.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thread is almost 5 years old; it can bounce back fine.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

mawarannahr posted:

what do the demands do? 26 million people marched or protested for George Floyd. 5.6 million people for the 2017 women's march. 2 million people for the anti school shooting march for our lives. 1 million for the march for science in 2017*. 1 million against nuclear proliferation in 1982.

* the Trump years were incredibly succ:

also lol

My point was not every American is an amoral sociopath, not that protesting accomplishes change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

?? You're the only one saying this

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Both the police and military rely on a strong, centralized state.
The ruling class wants to break up the state for their own profit.
Eventually, that means that their own estates can't be maintained.

A latifundium isn't guaranteed by a deed, it's guaranteed by the state bearing the costs of its actual defence and maintaining social order that prevents the land being seized by the people working it.

IIRC weren't the latifundias functionally blackboxes that ate up the economy while contributing very little to the greater economy? Because in many ways the present situation does make me recall that vibe-wise. In the present day labor, land, resources, and finances are being devoured by corporations who contribute little to what they likewise take and demand from the US as a whole. It's also not helping that the current set of failsons are taught to be so blind and shortsighted such that the mundane observation that there is a positive correlation between electricity consumption and industry is a mind-blowing revelation.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

there are so many ways life sucks so much in America compared to Turkey, both socially and even materially. I'd say America is exceptionally enshittified.

I am Brazilian. Turkey is a lot better than us in many ways (food security for a very basic example) too, yet I can’t for the life of me figure out some uniquely damning conditions that make improvement an impossible thing to happen. In fact, it’s the reactionary sentiment that defends otherwise, here or anywhere

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

KomradeX posted:

The capitalists are unable to do reform. Remember it took one of their own to force even the mildest of reforms on them to create a functional prosperous society and they never forgave him for that and set out on a crusade to make sure that no one ever could, and their are no more FDRs in the wings, its all Kamalas and Mayor Rolatboy as far as the eye can see

yep

It will reach a point where they will just get out competed and cant massage the numbers or lie enough to cover it up, and they will have nothing to offer anyone and then that will be the end of that system. it's organizational natural selection, collective labor and public ownership is better for every single person except the capitalist - It doesn't scale, the point of collectivism is scale, you get more per person overall under every condition if other things are equal because the only parts under the capitalist system that profit can be extracted from are those still-collectivist minded and organized non mba'ified industries that aren't destroyed yet, there's like none of those left

no frontier to bust open they didn't plan for this they thought the whole world would end they never thought China would be this close this fast they were prolly expecting to relieve the pressure by murdering everyone in China whenever things got too tight because they're racists who solve their problems by killing
they spent 40 years assuming Chinese people are just loving around the same way the west is but also are cowards who build military equipment out of tin and will certainly all run away once fired upon at all
u know, just like Russia, Yemen, Hamas, Iran

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 04:42 on Jan 26, 2024

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

and of course, mileage may vary, but if circumstances are truly exceptional, then the dialectical movement will be exceptional as well in response. I am not saying it is some beautiful inevitability, I am saying that by the self-contradictory forces of the system that oppresses us necessarily create the means to overcome it

to think otherwise is to deny the great task of humanity towards its emancipation, the capacity to do so and thus the principles of historical materialism. and motherfucker you better be able to take down Hegel, Marx, Engels, Lenin, Mao, Ho Chin Minh, Fanon and so help me God Trotsky and many, many great others more to argue seriously otherwise

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

Lol agribusiness will let 50 million starve while feeding cheap corn to pigs to sell to China (Ireland all over again)

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
No one is gonna buy overpriced pork when there is cheaper and tastier pork close by much less the ogs of making pigs China hth

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Has anyone made a study on the phenomenon of using cheap civilian graded weapons to suck up the expensive and limited ammo of air defense system?

We have the homebrew hamas unguided rockets that can use up the 10x more expensive Iron Dome defense. And then Ansar Allah uses their anti ship missiles to suck up the missiles defense rocket on the navy ships. Ansar Allah probably doesn't even need to use real missiles, they can just strap a dji control module on the largest model plane they can find in the hobbyist shop, program a roundtrip course and send it out on the red sea, the US aegis ship will shoot it down with its precious surface-to-air missile. Surely they will use up the defensive missile in a matter of weeks? What's this tactic called?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorBooty posted:

There is this strange psychological self-deception that seems to occur when posting. By posting about doing x or y activity, you get the same feeling of satisfaction of actually doing x or y activity.

It's why I don't tell my friends about my projects until after I have photos showing progress.

this is correct

one of Walter Benjamin's points in his The Writer’s Technique in Thirteen Theses:

quote:

II. Talk about what you have written, by all means, but do not read from it while the work is in progress. Every gratification procured in this way will slacken your tempo. If this regime is followed, the growing desire to communicate will become in the end a motor for completion.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

hell yea benjamin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it can both be true that America is losing its grip on the world,

and that the slipping of that grip still results in millions dead and people can and will be sad about the deaths of those millions,

even if means the liberation of millions more

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarxistRealism/status/1750583864911892541

quote:

My initial thought toward this was "They've been telling you he's the next Roosevelt while delivering the next Buchanan" but it's obviously deeper than that.

The first thing we have to acknowledge is that Biden and Abbott don't have conflicting views on the border. It's bipartisan policy to escalate border militarization and Biden has never, in the entirety of his career, been shy on this point. His admin is completing Trump's wall.

So this is clearly a stunt from Abbott, who is literally in India right now, to capitalize on the weakness of the Biden administration. That's why republican governors and media are jumping on it, I imagine. The thing is, it's a powerful stunt.

Perception is reality - moreso than ever in the social media age. And from my perspective it seems like a no-win situation. If the admin does nothing, it proves they're pushovers. And if they act, it validates every paranoid Republican fantasy simultaneously.

Either way they're not arguing over the existence of the migrant concentration camps - they're publicly demonstrating who really has the power right now. "Nothing ever happens" bros are wrong about this one - something already did happen and this will ripple for years.

:hmmyes:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has anyone made a study on the phenomenon of using cheap civilian graded weapons to suck up the expensive and limited ammo of air defense system?

We have the homebrew hamas unguided rockets that can use up the 10x more expensive Iron Dome defense. And then Ansar Allah uses their anti ship missiles to suck up the missiles defense rocket on the navy ships. Ansar Allah probably doesn't even need to use real missiles, they can just strap a dji control module on the largest model plane they can find in the hobbyist shop, program a roundtrip course and send it out on the red sea, the US aegis ship will shoot it down with its precious surface-to-air missile. Surely they will use up the defensive missile in a matter of weeks? What's this tactic called?

Any serious plan to attack an IADS or carrier group or whatever includes

1.) lots of missiles
2.) lots of decoys
3.) having them all arrive in a short time to achieve saturation and let you be as economical as possible with 1 and 2

Even with 1960's technology, the cost of achieving this was much less than the value of ships you could sink. An exocet missile is like 200k. 2000 of them is 400 million, a bargain. The commodification of the electronics and sensors that made these weapons expensive only makes things worse.

The idea that you can just park a vessel or whatever in range of an attacker and shoot down missiles all day has never been correct. The US just hasn't fought a real war in decades, so it's used to getting away with dumb poo poo.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Hatebag posted:

you'd have about as much luck getting chickens to work together and sacrifice for a common future as you would americans

nope
It's the system
people are told this stuff constantly and fed an image of America that isn't America and it's reinforced by the people who copy it because they're the worst but most people are just regular people unaware of how much the system they're in influences their behavior
but it doesn't matter how aware they are if they're in a different system they'll change really fast they won't even really mind except in the way theyve been conditioned to push back at specific terms but people won't care what its called when they start wanting better things and capitalism won't give another option
it's normal you don't have to tell people or anything, that's why capitalism fears it and has worked so hard to prevent it or escape to space for more growth
it's also why it's inevitable everyone here has been taught that this stuff is not hard coded into the system's DNA pretty much
it is tho, that's why marx spotted it so long ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Goonswarm special