Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

delightful posted:

WWE should just close up shop and some completely uninvolved wrestler like LA Knight or Cody should just lose their jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tech people were getting texts about this and laughing about it/not reporting it to authorities
Wrestlers were being enticed to stay because the women were offered to them too
Management was holding fake investigations to look like they cared

"Do they deserve it" tho

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Chris James 2 posted:

What do you think "enabling" means in this context, genuine question

Like I really am curious just how much, for how long, you think someone could (and did) hear stories like this and still willingly show up to work, shake his hand, bow, tweet and say nice things about him in public and how he doesn't deserve criticism, and still not be considered enabling their actions by letting them think they got away with it (and will continue to get away with it) because of reactions like that

Or do you think, alternatively, they are the only people in the business' last five decades who never heard one story about him, and also that they didn't hear it as it was going on around them in their continued workplace (because this didn't stop in the 80s, this didn't stop in the 90s, this still actively was occurring as of two years ago)

If Hulk Hogan knew? Throw him in the wood chipper. If HHH knew? Throw him in the wood chipper. If Shawn Michaels knew? Throw him in the woodchipper. If The Rock knew? Throw him in the woodchipper. If Stone Cold knew? Throw him in the woodchipper.

I'm 100% on board with a full cleaning of the house, I'm just saying there are hard working loving professionals who stand to lose a lot whose only guilt is working for the same company, not direct association with Vince.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

delightful posted:

If Hulk Hogan knew? Throw him in the wood chipper. If HHH knew? Throw him in the wood chipper. If Shawn Michaels knew? Throw him in the woodchipper. If The Rock knew? Throw him in the woodchipper. If Stone Cold knew? Throw him in the woodchipper.

I'm 100% on board with a full cleaning of the house

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
poo poo like this is why there WWE should never be allowed to have a monopoly on wrestling

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Tech people were getting texts about this and laughing about it/not reporting it to authorities
Wrestlers were being enticed to stay because the women were offered to them too
Management was holding fake investigations to look like they cared

"Do they deserve it" tho

Seriously. Burn down the company like the goddamn UK Indie scene

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
all cameramen knew and should be executed imo

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Vince's sexual predatory actions includes making GBS threads on someone against their will and forcing them to stay in it as an act of control. I feel like this part should be more front and center when talking about the "details" because that is some serial killer adjacent behavior. Ari should talk to his brother to see if his friends can get him drone striked

Just wanted this in the middle of the "think of the cameramen!" Discourse

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

all cameramen knew and should be executed imo

vince lied cameramen died

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

delightful posted:

I'm just saying there are hard working loving professionals who stand to lose a lot whose only guilt is working for the same company, not direct association with Vince.

Their guilt is that they willingly work for a company that's enabled a rapist to do horrible crimes without any repercussions for decades despite knowing all about it, op.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

delightful posted:

I honestly don't understand your position. So WWE should just close up shop and some completely uninvolved wrestler like LA Knight or Cody should just lose their jobs. There is no other option to you than WWE must go?

yes, when every bit of leadership in the company was either complicit or an outright participant, it might just be better for the whole structure to collapse

that's pure fantasy because Endeavor is also helmed by scumbags who won't be stopped, obviously, there's a business to be profited from

but it's also an equal level of magical thinking that the onscreen talent (the non-guilty ones) and low level staff could end up working in a version of WWE that still doesn't have a bunch of guilty parties to this case surviving the fallout to perpetuate the same culture in the future

shedding a tear for the fate of the near-monopoly that did its best to choke the life out of the whole industry for years, while treating its own talent like poo poo in non-sexual abusive ways as well, is pretty sad

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

WWE should shut down TNA NJPW & AEW get the good wrestlers + the tape libraries all the criminals should be shot and Vince McMahon should be launched into orbit

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
everyone that works in wwe atm should never have a job again they're all complicit and enabled him and knew and partook for sure

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Can he get dragged and quartered? Feels like the gun thing is a little too nice

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

in the highly fanciful and unlikely situation that wwe did actually loving die because of this, i think it's wild how many people talk about how it would be a massive blow to professional wrestling

but. everyone who watches those shows, if it goes away, will have to decide if they want to keep watching wrestling or not. if they do, they'll have to go watch something the gently caress else

maybe that would actually be better for wrestling in the long term than this lovely lumbering giant continuing to cast it's dogshit shadow over the whole thing

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Dana White was filmed beating his wife in public and Endeavor didn't do jack poo poo. Vince was so brazen about his actions he was sharing evidence with random IT guys in the office.

The whole thing is rotten to the very core.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

The337th posted:

yes, when every bit of leadership in the company was either complicit or an outright participant, it might just be better for the whole structure to collapse

that's pure fantasy because Endeavor is also helmed by scumbags who won't be stopped, obviously, there's a business to be profited from

but it's also an equal level of magical thinking that the onscreen talent (the non-guilty ones) and low level staff could end up working in a version of WWE that still doesn't have a bunch of guilty parties to this case surviving the fallout to perpetuate the same culture in the future

shedding a tear for the fate of the near-monopoly that did its best to choke the life out of the whole industry for years, while treating its own talent like poo poo in non-sexual abusive ways as well, is pretty sad

If Endeavor just created like EWE (Endeavor Wrestling Entertainment) and it was the same talent just with different leadership, that would be perfectly ok with me.

EDIT: Note when I say "leadership" I mean anyone with sway within the company so that would include Brock 'Dick Tattoo' Lesnar. gently caress him.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

delightful posted:

If Endeavor just created like EWE (Endeavor Wrestling Entertainment) and it was the same talent just with different leadership, that would be perfectly ok with me.

EDIT: Note when I say "leadership" I mean anyone with sway within the company so that would include Brock 'Dick Tattoo' Lesnar. gently caress him.

It will be head by wife slapper Dana White

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Drakkel posted:

poo poo like this is why there WWE should never be allowed to have [...] wrestling

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Ivypls posted:

in the highly fanciful and unlikely situation that wwe did actually loving die because of this, i think it's wild how many people talk about how it would be a massive blow to professional wrestling

but. everyone who watches those shows, if it goes away, will have to decide if they want to keep watching wrestling or not. if they do, they'll have to go watch something the gently caress else

maybe that would actually be better for wrestling in the long term than this lovely lumbering giant continuing to cast it's dogshit shadow over the whole thing

WWE deserves to die for what they did to wrestling in the 80s. they deserve to be put out of business the same way Vince ruthlessly put the territories and WCW out of business to make his success

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The entire organisational culture of WWE is hosed and evil. You can't fix that by swapping out the execs whose crimes we know for the ones whose crimes we don't yet. You have to get rid of the whole thing and start again.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ivypls posted:

This is where I land when people start the crocodile tears about it being worse for the industry if WWE were gone. If WWE had it's way it would be the industry and that would be that and I'm sure that would just be great for the workers and it will always be striving for that goal as long as the company exists. gently caress them.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

everyone that works in wwe atm should never have a job again they're all complicit and enabled him and knew and partook for sure

i am sorry that everyone who has worked for the wwe in the past 40 years has been sentenced to death

just to be safe we should probably extend it to anyone who watched wwe in the past 40 years, their support has directly made this possible

i was going to be asked to be removed from the royal rumble game and maybe a 3 day probe through the rumble as punishment but in retrospect i am going to ask that be taken to the public square and dangled from the gallows for my sins

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

delightful posted:

it's rotten to the core and you're counting on a scumbag like Ari Emanuel to clean it up, and cool with him just stamping his brand's name directly on it a sign of something better?

the dude who helped run cover for Trump over the Miss Universe allegations?

sounds legit

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

engaging in based rationalposting at all the stupid proles who have dared to display anger that falls outside the prescribed limits about the horrific sex crimes

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

The337th posted:

it's rotten to the core and you're counting on a scumbag like Ari Emanuel to clean it up, and cool with him just stamping his brand's name directly on it a sign of something better?

the dude who helped run cover for Trump over the Miss Universe allegations?

sounds legit

Didn't know that... :(

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

delightful posted:

these types of guys swarm to each other because everyone else loving hates them

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Wow... you might actually be optimistic

Sorry but it's got to burn even if Dan the Cameraman might need a new gig

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

delightful posted:

It's a rotten apple to the absolute top.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I think delightful was coming from a rather naive yet well-intentioned place, and their general take of "i hope the bastards pay and the innocents stay" is fine.

Moreover, if the WWE somehow imploded (it won't), there would be tons of outside investors ready to step in and stabilize the company. And more importantly, a seismic shake-up of that magnitude would jettison a lot of dead rot and make it a potentially safer work environment (low bar, I know).

Either way, goons posting in PSP about this are unanimous on who deserves a reckoning, and the main differences in opinion are about how likely it is that some way overdue justice will be doled out.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

might be controversial to say but i hope vince, laurenitis and the rest of the rapist scum in the wrestling industry die violently, horrifically and soon.

I whole-heartedly endorse QoP's take.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

C. Everett Koop posted:

i am sorry that everyone who has worked for the wwe in the past 40 years has been sentenced to death

just to be safe we should probably extend it to anyone who watched wwe in the past 40 years, their support has directly made this possible

i was going to be asked to be removed from the royal rumble game and maybe a 3 day probe through the rumble as punishment but in retrospect i am going to ask that be taken to the public square and dangled from the gallows for my sins

stand up for rapists i guess

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
If people aren't ready to say "gently caress WWE" after this, I cannot fathom what depths Vince and co. will actually have to plumb for people to finally say enough is enough. I don't give a poo poo how many good people still work there, it's a rapist company run by rapists and it doesn't deserve anyone's time or money.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But my entertainment!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

stand up for rapists i guess

He's just really ethically worried about the cameramen they hire out of union to exploit

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
I wouldn't leap to WWE's defense until we see if anyone else comes forward with allegations. Fortunately I would never be in the position of being an apologist for the evil blood money sex crime company

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

delightful posted:

I'm not ready to say gently caress the WWE as a whole because that involves a shitload of production staff and wrestlers I really like.

It's kinda messed up that literally on the day where we get news of rape, sexual trafficking and all kinds of other criminal poo poo that A LOT OF PEOPLE in the company knew about and actively helped cover up, your immediate reaction is "well I like a lot of the wrestlers!"

Even going past the fact that there's still every chance that those wrestlers and production staff you like could also have been literally involved and complicit in this crime, there's a time and place for everything and today isn't the day for standing up for WWE. Even if it isn't your intention, this kind of stuff gives the impression that it was just a few bad apples and once those few bad apples are gone, everything's OK.

Doesn't work like that.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

good people at good companies are constantly being laid off all the time if somehow the reckoning of wwe results in a bunch of people losing their job who chose to keep working at a company that was producing propaganda for the saudi government for the past 6 years in addition to all of the awful poo poo that comes out several times per year about wwe, it will not be the end of the world for them or for the disease brained fed fans who just need their stories. there’s plenty of other evil companies to land on their feet at. maybe even ones where they don’t have to ignore rape allegations coming out seemingly at least once per year. might even allow them to glow up tbh

don’t worry i’m sure nothing really bad will happen to your stories and you can still count down from 10 this saturday on the peacock network

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The thing is that while a lot of the specific allegations are horrifying, none of this beyond what people suspected Vince was up to. We've known for years that the phrase "Vince is a ra_ist" was equally true whether you filled the blank with a c or a p. So I really don't have very much sympathy for the "poor cameraman" argument and none at all for the "poor wrestler" argument. Vince has been a missing stair for decades, and yet wrestler after wrestler has signed with his company knowing this.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Movie fans didn't go "I'm not ready to say gently caress The Weinstein Company just yet because there are good people that work there" when Harvey Weinstein's crimes were finally made public. WWE should be no different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
WWE is not Vince McMahon, Vince McMahon is not WWE. That's as succinct as I can make my point - the collateral damage for everyone not involved in this scandal is unfortunate. Maybe I'm wrong and there is a fed who will rise from the ashes of this, but does that seem likely to anyone else? Doesn't seem likely it to me.

Edit: Sorry, I should say Vince SHOULDN'T be WWE and vice versa, I know the reality is he, like Dana White has made their company more about tthem than the talent.