Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
:siren: New Episode! :siren:

Episode 7 - To Be Shrewd or Regal?

Boss.

Kawaraban Issue 7: Torikoe posted:

A Prince Enshrined
South of Asakusa stands the Torikoe Shrine. The principal deity is the ancient hero Yamato Takeru no Mikoto, after whom the shrine's old name, Shiratori, 'White Birds,' was apparently taken.
Just between you and me, but before the illustrious Ieyasu began his rule in Edo, the entirety of Asakusa running along Sumidagawa belongs to the shrine. Afterwards, Mount Torikoe was leveled, and all the ponds were filled in to build the Asakusa rice granaries. And of the three shrines that used to be here, this last remaining one is said to have only been spared due to the desperate pleas of the head priest. The government might have needed the land, but there's still something sad about it all.
It'd be nice if they held a big festival like Kanda Shrine does. We'd need a flashy portable shrine to match that Edo spirit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I love that Iori has just been added to FGO and the memes about him have already started dropping. :allears:

Edit:
Your commentary about Iori's teaching isn't far off based on his characterisation in FGO from what I can tell.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 19, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Glad that Boss is showing off his nicer side in this game, given that he can vary... wildly across the franchise.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The inscriptions on the dousojin just say "dousojin". Sounds goofy, but not unusual in real life, from what I can see online. In fact, the model in-game looks like it might be based specifically on one of the photos on Wikipedia.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
to be fair to Coolguye, I question how many people could actually identify Ruler without prior knowledge of Fate. I feel like people may conflate his Fate lore with his actual lore.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The inscriptions on the dousojin just say "dousojin". Sounds goofy, but not unusual in real life, from what I can see online. In fact, the model in-game looks like it might be based specifically on one of the photos on Wikipedia.

I do wonder how many of them are left, now that I think about it.

Jossar posted:

Glad that Boss is showing off his nicer side in this game, given that he can vary... wildly across the franchise.

Yeah, we'll be sure to discuss that once Coolguy manages to guess right (I have absolute faith in him (dwindling)) cause Boss is one of those characters that has been across no small number of FATE related media.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NullBlack posted:

to be fair to Coolguye, I question how many people could actually identify Ruler without prior knowledge of Fate. I feel like people may conflate his Fate lore with his actual lore.

If coolguy played even one Fate game, mongrel and treasure are big flaming tipoffs

I never read his source material, so

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Boss is going to be a bit of an odyssey for me

I can only promise that you will be entertained because gently caress my life

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Being the stubborn idiot that I am, I did that Berserker fight as soon as it became available. On hard mode just him grabbing you for the slam dunk will take off 90% of your health, giving you an agonizingly small window to heal to full before he dunks you.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i know nothing about Fate lore and i made a guess about Boss' identity and then looked it up and i war right :smug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguy's two guesses thus far were the most natural one could have without context, I think

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ozymandias honestly isn't the worst guess, as he IS a Servant in the mobile game, and his general attitude and mannerisms are noted even in-universe as being vaguely similar to the Boss.

He also has DIO's voice actor!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The phrase "when Grail Wars get out of hand" implies that they are at any point in-hand. This seems to be very rarely the case.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

The phrase "when Grail Wars get out of hand" implies that they are at any point in-hand. This seems to be very rarely the case.

When it's dire, it's dire.

Whammiewazzle posted:

Being the stubborn idiot that I am, I did that Berserker fight as soon as it became available. On hard mode just him grabbing you for the slam dunk will take off 90% of your health, giving you an agonizingly small window to heal to full before he dunks you.

I was super tempted to do that but decided against it for the reasons you listed! Still very scary even at the point I was at, which is definitely intended.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I want to see the story about The One Holy Grail War That Was Normal.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

I want to see the story about The One Holy Grail War That Was Normal.

That might be the grail war that establishes Fate/Grand Order because it's one of the few where someone clearly won, and both Master and Servant got their wish. I imagine a lot of people still died, mind you.

Bookthief
Jan 28, 2019
I'm eternally amused by the idea of Boss working as an auctioneer host in barnfinders. It seems like a role he would find funny.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

TheLastRoboKy posted:

That might be the grail war that establishes Fate/Grand Order because it's one of the few where someone clearly won, and both Master and Servant got their wish. I imagine a lot of people still died, mind you.

Even then it's implied the winner super cheated due to who they summoned.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
speaking to a friend of mine (same one from before, who's big on Fate), The One Holy Grail War That Was Normal would probably have been the first.
which was a trial run.
which should probably bring to mind a team of QA testers who lacked the imagination or thoroughness to catch all the bullshit the end-users would pull, once released.

also, though, Rulers can end up summoned if there's nobody otherwise administrating the HGW (often it's the Church's job to do that).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Runa posted:

Coolguy's two guesses thus far were the most natural one could have without context, I think

I think there's one very important bit of context that he missed that might get some more accurate guesses

In other news, as an FGO player I absolutely got triggered by the Saint Quartz showing up in Boss's shop. You can also see a Hassan mask and a model of Zhuge Liang's noble phantasm.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 20, 2024

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Even then it's implied the winner super cheated due to who they summoned.

Nah, he just got a regular Caster who happened to be particularly awesome due to selecting a nice catalyst, not the Grand version. Granted, there were likely Caster Shenanigans because Casters always do something weird to compensate for the fact that the Knight Classes come with free magic resistance and there's like a 50/50 shot the Rider has it too.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I look forward to Coolguy's reaction when he finally guesses the identity of Boss.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I’m surprised Boss is willing to let you actually buy things from him. Wouldn’t selling an item imply that it now belongs to you and not to him?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I’m surprised Boss is willing to let you actually buy things from him. Wouldn’t selling an item imply that it now belongs to you and not to him?

He has granted you the opportunity to bow down to his magnanimity, I would recommend using it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Shei-kun posted:

I look forward to Coolguy's reaction when he finally guesses the identity of Boss.

you should

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He's just an ordinary seller, he tells us himself!

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

The Lone Badger posted:

Ah, but Iori is merely one of the countless vassals that Boss has whether Iori realizes it or not. Anything a vassal owns is, in the end, property of their Ruler so really all that Boss has done is redistribute his wealth. Iori has been gathering resources on his own as well so Boss is becoming infinitesimally richer with every scrap of cloth and red spider lily picked up from random spots in each town.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

He gets pissed off when people steal or counterfeit his stuff, this is the first time we've seen a situation where someone just offers him a poo poo-ton of money for it. All the world's treasure is ultimately his, it's more like renting it really.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Boss getting pissed off at counterfeits is funny to me on multiple levels, both with regards to familiarity with Fate and also when I consider his source culture

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: New Episode! :siren:

Episode 8 - Cascading Gouts of Blood

Iori and Saber are ready to go investigate Yui Shousetsu's Academy, but there's someone in need of their support who will aid them in turn. They're going to need to that help as well, as the fight to reach Shousetsu's headquarters turns into quite an incredible brawl.

On a personal level, I really REALLY enjoy this part of the game. A lot happens, and you're given a lot of fun new things to play with.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah I wasn't prepared for that either Coolguye. The poo poo has started to hit the fan and I'm getting real excited to see whats next.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, definitely a real cluster at the end there.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I appreciate that Heroic Spirits are these mighty, worldly, unflappable beings, but I feel like underneath the hypercompetent living legend facade a lot of them in situations like this are thinking "oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo, who the gently caress is this new rear end in a top hat, wait there are people that can DO that!? I am so screwed oh my god"

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Ah Mysterious Heroine X, the objectively best Saberface by virtue of wanting to murder all the others.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

I appreciate that Heroic Spirits are these mighty, worldly, unflappable beings, but I feel like underneath the hypercompetent living legend facade a lot of them in situations like this are thinking "oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo, who the gently caress is this new rear end in a top hat, wait there are people that can DO that!? I am so screwed oh my god"

I mean, if you came back as a magic ghost version of yourself, you'd still basically be you, right?

(I'm aware that it's more complicated than that for Heroic Spirits, but it's still mostly true, barring all of Fate's little exceptions.)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jossar posted:

I mean, if you came back as a magic ghost version of yourself, you'd still basically be you, right?

(I'm aware that it's more complicated than that for Heroic Spirits, but it's still mostly true, barring all of Fate's little exceptions.)

Still, these are Heroes, all of them have seen some weird poo poo, they wouldn't be recorded as a Hero if they hadn't, and even taking that into account I feel like the conversation right after this chapter is gonna go a bit like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIjISeW8QM

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Holy poo poo that episode went places at the end and just kept accelerating.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"flame country stranger"???

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is translating the word 結界 kekkai as "bounded field" rather than the more natural "barrier" an established thing in Fate? The only other place I've ever seen that is in dodgy Touhou fan-translations from like 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Musashi goes nyooooooom.

...And yeah, I definitely didn't expect that.

And Lancer's "super" definitely confirmed what I suspected.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 26, 2024