Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Randalor posted:

Actually, trying to dredge through the archives to find out why they don't have the more advanced bodies, I did find this page where Sam explicitly says he'll choose random because humans can't choose either, so goons can quit bitching about that (or not, because we are still goons.

He chose "random" and it made him a bald white guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Random is random. Going by what the angel said, most robots choose random. Presumably most-if-not-all numan we've seen have been random.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Bleck posted:

Honestly, this is just another thing that's pushing apart "the comic Tom thinks he's making" and "the comic Tom is actually making."

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bleck posted:

:v:

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I don't think most people would choose to have a chrome dome like Sam unless some rng was involved.

And yeah, technically the bots were allowed to pick anything as the "character builder" included things like green skin and weird Grinch faces but it sounds like most of them chose "random" which was restricted to normal aesthetics, presumably so they wouldn't get screwed over with the sentiment.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bleck posted:

thinking about that baldur's gate 3 thing that generated the "most popular aggregate character" based on selections made and it was just a bethesda npc

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Riot Bus posted:

I don't think most people would choose to have a chrome dome like Sam unless some rng was involved.

And yeah, technically the bots were allowed to pick anything as the "character builder" included things like green skin and weird Grinch faces but it sounds like most of them chose "random" which was restricted to normal aesthetics, presumably so they wouldn't get screwed over with the sentiment.

yeah the response to the robot trying on an absurd look was "I would advise against this" not "you can't do that", I don't think anyone involved in the process would stop a robot from being a stinky wretched little goblin if that was their genuine desire.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

I don't think anyone involved in the process would stop a robot from being a stinky wretched little goblin if that was their genuine desire.

Is that where Boxbot went?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You know I'll actually totally forgive a lot of this stuff if there's a reveal that Boxbot got left out of being made into a numan and is the sole dejected, unloved robot still rolling about

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Just as Sam was the first to go to Robot Heaven, Boxbot is the first to go to Robot Hell

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Love the actual insight into Kat’s mind and interesting topic of conversation, but it kills me that it’s happening while the robots look like there doing a Weekend At Bernie’s

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

so are we still in the distortion or what

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You know what, I'm fine with this page, and with Kat's mindset about the robots. She's just a good kid that was just helping out people who needed a hand and everyone else ignored. And her view of the Ether doesn't seem wrong from what the rest of the comic showed us, so I'm now going to assume that the arbiter is actually an ancient eldritch parasite leeching off the cycle of death and rebirth. I wonder when Annie is going to have a sword containing her insane soul from the future shattered on her, and the essence of the sword binds itself to her arm, turning her into a living paradox so she can wage war against the arbiter.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

so are we still in the distortion or what

Yes.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Randalor posted:

I wonder when Annie is going to have a sword containing her insane soul from the future shattered on her, and the essence of the sword binds itself to her arm, turning her into a living paradox so she can wage war against the arbiter.

Is that an Adventure Time reference? Because if it's not, I definitely need to see more people turning their paradox clones into swords.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Randalor posted:

You know what, I'm fine with this page, and with Kat's mindset about the robots. She's just a good kid that was just helping out people who needed a hand and everyone else ignored. And her view of the Ether doesn't seem wrong from what the rest of the comic showed us, so I'm now going to assume that the arbiter is actually an ancient eldritch parasite leeching off the cycle of death and rebirth. I wonder when Annie is going to have a sword containing her insane soul from the future shattered on her, and the essence of the sword binds itself to her arm, turning her into a living paradox so she can wage war against the arbiter.

Yeah this page FINALLY addresses my concerns. It's very frustrating that it's taken this long to get here, and just wild that Kat "didn't give it much thought" when she was literally birthing a new race, but, like, even acknowledging that she didn't give it much thought at least goes some ways ways towards making me not feel crazy as a reader.

Still, every other reservation I had in the above post still stands.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cavatica posted:

Is that an Adventure Time reference? Because if it's not, I definitely need to see more people turning their paradox clones into swords.

Legacy of Kain series. poo poo gets weird. The series applies every interpretation of time travel in media, and it all works. Even the contradictory stuff.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah this page FINALLY addresses my concerns. It's very frustrating that it's taken this long to get here, and just wild that Kat "didn't give it much thought" when she was literally birthing a new race, but, like, even acknowledging that she didn't give it much thought at least goes some ways ways towards making me not feel crazy as a reader.

Still, every other reservation I had in the above post still stands.

She is also completely ignoring that they worship her as a god.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It also feels disingenuous to see her regretting not giving more thought to the numen...immediately after not giving much thought to how to deal with them after they die and instead just shrugging and going "lol we'll decide later"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There are some really compelling ideas here, but the presentation is really letting them down. It goes back to that thing I talked about before where everything involving Kat lands with a thud. She doesn't seem to really care about anything. It's all super casual and blase, presented visually flat and affectless.

Like, why are these places where Kat disagrees with the Arbiter being presented without any sort of visual representation, and also in a scene afterwards, rather than yelled at the person that it concerns. Why are we avoiding conflict and treating this all abstractly and philosophically when we literally just had a moment where the rubber meets the road and the fate of a dead robot-person's soul was being decided?

Honestly it makes me wonder if Tom just has no buffer anymore and is writing and drawing this comic day to day, finishing just in time. Nothing about the last several chapters feels planned out in any way.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Begemot posted:

Honestly it makes me wonder if Tom just has no buffer anymore and is writing and drawing this comic day to day, finishing just in time. Nothing about the last several chapters feels planned out in any way.

I don't agree with that, I think he is indeed planning plotlines well ahead of time. However, I think he may have begun these plotlines years ago without a clear direction on where he wanted to take them, and what he eventually decided on eventually turned out to be unsatisfying. Why that is is debatable - to me, it kind of feels like at some point along the way his values and tastes vastly changed from what he originally had when he started the comic. Almost as if a different person took over at some point. Like, it's wild that the same person who introduced Tony the way he did also tried to redeem him the way he did. Similarly, Annie has been incredibly neutered as a character for a while now and is just along for the ride most of the time now. Plus all the fan favorite secondary characters just evaporating from relevance.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdventurousRichEggDancingBanana-9g21ruAROk4rogbh

I feel this belongs here.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Gonna take the incredibly cynical 'synthesis' position here and speculate (probably uncharitably) that he may be aware of the real-time criticisms and trying to deal with them ad hoc. It would certainly explain the sort of tonal whiplash we're all noticing, and the perfunctory "oh yeah, I guess they were human after all" sort of backfilling.

Though at the same time it catches me at the crossroads of "of course he wouldn't care what this dipshit anachronistic Web1.0 forum thinks" and "he's posted here in the past and I hope it doesn't wound him too deeply to read these harsh words as someone who's created something we all clearly care about and have loved". I don't know if I can handle that guilt. The healthiest attitude any creator can take is "gently caress 'em if they can't appreciate the story I want to tell" and let history sort it all out. Honestly I'd much rather see that, though at the same time it would be best if the creator could take a step back, take a deep breath, and really take some time to consider the story they want to tell and compare that, with as much objectivity as they can, against the story they are telling. Has Tom taken much of a break? Maybe it would be good to do so?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tom, if you are reading this: don't be afraid to take a break. You don't have to have a 3-comic-a-week schedule if it hurts the story you want to tell. Rich Burlow has long gaps between pages for Order of the Stick, but each comic is solid, impactful and is well worth the wait. As it stands, Gunnerkrigg Court is suffering because of your devotion to the 3 comics a week, and while it is commendable that you can maintain that pace after so long, the comic itself is suffering because of it.

Please, take a step back, take a few weeks off to unwind and actually sit down and decide how you want the story to go now, and don't be afraid to cut the workload back. Hell, even just going from 3 days to 2 days a week may help considerably.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I get that he used to post here but it feels a little wild to assume he'd be reading any of this, let alone basing any decisions on it. His other sources of feedback (e.g. forums, comments) are largely echo chambers that vacantly clap no matter what.

To me it feels less like he's trying to cater to anyone and more like he's putting in the bare minimum until something catches his passions like Loup and Lana. Whether that's due to lack of interest in his own story or struggling to reconcile old plot points or making up a good amount of it as he goes, who knows.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why that is is debatable - to me, it kind of feels like at some point along the way his values and tastes vastly changed from what he originally had when he started the comic. Almost as if a different person took over at some point. Like, it's wild that the same person who introduced Tony the way he did also tried to redeem him the way he did. Similarly, Annie has been incredibly neutered as a character for a while now and is just along for the ride most of the time now. Plus all the fan favorite secondary characters just evaporating from relevance.
I agree with this though. It's weird that it feels like a different person is writing it. I don't think it literally is, but it's remarkable how much it feels that way sometimes. It's loving wild to contrast something like the most recent chapters with the older ones. Such care and subtlety and deliberate symbolism versus 50 pages of "yeah we're in the zimmyverse, we're still in the distortion, that's right, we're in the zimmyverse" exposition. Feels like a complete loss of faith in his audience and a near-complete lack of desire to be writing this anymore.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeaaaah I don't think any of his recent decisions have to do with burnout, and I don't think he's lost interest in creating the comic itself. I just think what he WANTS to do with it has changed, and what he has decided on is not good.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
oh that renard, what a kidder

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
They just buried a dead teenager, someone whose death Annie had a direct hand in, and are still trapped in a situation involving the potential future death of Zimmy and Gamma at the hands of a psychotic god

Haha jeez

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ok, see, now I'm back to being annoyed. Direct acknowledgment of being a god - not gonna explore that? No introspection? Just "Hyuck! Gawrsh!" I guess.

Does Kat WANT to be a loving god or NOT? Does someone have to hold her face to the poop she made to get a reaction???

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

coolusername posted:

They just buried a dead teenager, someone whose death Annie had a direct hand in, and are still trapped in a situation involving the potential future death of Zimmy and Gamma at the hands of a psychotic god

Haha jeez

Not to mention Jerrek/Loup who they were starting to develop some kind of respect for despite loving everything because the plot looooves Loup and wants to marry him, Ysengrin/Coyote who were supposed to be Annie's father figures at one point who she loved tremendously, and everyone else wildly in danger from the unpredictable effects of this, e.g. her actual father

No it's fine let's all sit around and talk about how great Kat is, warm fuzzies

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
"It's a pretty rare thing that I, an ancient magical beast, get to watch someone ascend to godhood!"

"Ah shucks, it's no big deal, haha!"

meanwhile a funeral is happening 10 feet away

what.

like does Kat still think the godhood angel thing is just all metaphor??

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 29, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the gently caress needs to happen to make this girl take something seriously

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Oxxidation posted:

the gently caress needs to happen to make this girl take something seriously

It needs to break up with her, apparently.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

It needs to break up with herfall off a bridge and die, apparently.

Fixed that for you, the only time she's ever actually shown dwelling and brooding on something for a long time was Annie's death in a different timeline, that hosed her up so badly that even after she broke reality to save her, she STILL brooded over it. She was shown being sad over Paz for... one panel?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

:emptyquote:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
she also said, “haha, jeez!” we have our finest minds analyzing her words. as mere machines we can but hope to understand.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Fecha posted:

she also said, “haha, jeez!” we have our finest minds analyzing her words. as mere machines we can but hope to understand.

It's so gutwrenching to remember this is the same comic as that oh my god

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, like I said, it's very weird that the same person who wrote that joke now expects us to take the robot cult seriously and as a good thing. YOU'RE the one that set them up as overbearing and creepy! Why do you want us to agree with them now??

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lol at Annie describing the robo cult as "the new people love Kat so much"

It honestly reads like she doesn't realize they see Kat as a God either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Renard literally says it in the last panel and she's like aw shucks.