Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Something that might or might not matter for the carolina hire too.

Morgan and Canales have known each other for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

One think I’ll say for the Panthers: Dave Canales is very handsome. Even if he sucks he will at least do so in a charming way and not in that Matt Rhule way where he always looked sweaty even when he wasn’t sweaty.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
If I cared I'd be pissed.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Silly Burrito posted:

Pete Carmichael needs a job

Saints had a better offense than Tampa so why not

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats to whoever stumbles to 9 wins next year, perhaps this time everyone can be equally bad and it can be a nail biter season ending finish.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

Congrats to whoever stumbles to 9 wins next year, perhaps this time everyone can be equally bad and it can be a nail biter season ending finish.

Bucs 9-0 offensive explosion against the panthers was a must win game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Bucs 9-0 offensive explosion against the panthers was a must win game.

I more meant all four teams being in it to win it.

4 8-8 teams battling to see who wins the head to head tie breaker

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I like the Canales hire, and as previously mentioned, I'll like it even more if Evero stays on. I'm just not gonna like, pop bottles because this team has been a crushing disappointment for six years and I know better than to get excited before seeing results.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I really don’t think Bryce can run an offense based around play action from under center.

Panthers primarily ran PA out of the gun. This was so Bryce didn’t have to turn his back to the line and sell it. And Bryce didn’t sell his PA worth a poo poo anyway. Bryce’s PA from the gun looks like someone doing ab twists with a medicine ball.

When they did run PA from under center, Bryce generally rolled out. This let him reorient and get out of the pocket so he could see.

This is to say nothing about his footwork. Assuming every wr perfectly comes out of their break, and the timing is otherwise perfect, Bryce never showed his footwork his consistent enough to plant his back foot and go.

I mean good on Canales if he sold this to Tepper. Get paid, go back to Tampa after getting fired.

Unless David Tepper is secretly okay with him benching Bryce.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Wow great hire Blank! Hey who was our interim HC when Quinn got fired and why didn't we keep him??

Miserable franchise that'll only have a chance at being good again when Blank is no longer in charge of it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

How the gently caress does rich mckay have that much pull with anyone

Shades of demented Jerry Richardson rehiring Marty hurney.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

Considering everything we know about the fucker, I wouldn't be that surprised if Tepper starts demanding that Canales start Andy by week 6 if there's not any immediate improvement with Bryce

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Bill is gonna seriously end up being out of the league.

Breer said Atlanta wanted Bill as just HC and Bill stuck to his guns so they stuck to theirs :rubby:

He wants to be in the league long enough to get a wins record and wants to be GM too for it, and thinks going into interviews telling people that and having no answer for the inevitable "well, what do we do after you get that" is fine. Completely gone

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So my Canalas coaching shirt arrived today....

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

drat, this is the first time im seeing him. If nothing else, congrats to panthers fans for the sideline candy.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

wandler20 posted:

So my Canalas coaching shirt arrived today....

Please do the needful and scribble out the bucs logo and replace with the Sam Darnold lovely Panther

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I really don’t think Bryce can run an offense based around play action from under center.

Panthers primarily ran PA out of the gun. This was so Bryce didn’t have to turn his back to the line and sell it. And Bryce didn’t sell his PA worth a poo poo anyway. Bryce’s PA from the gun looks like someone doing ab twists with a medicine ball.

When they did run PA from under center, Bryce generally rolled out. This let him reorient and get out of the pocket so he could see.

This is to say nothing about his footwork. Assuming every wr perfectly comes out of their break, and the timing is otherwise perfect, Bryce never showed his footwork his consistent enough to plant his back foot and go.

I mean good on Canales if he sold this to Tepper. Get paid, go back to Tampa after getting fired.

FWIW Canalese made his bones working with smaller guys on exactly these kind of problems. Geno credited Canales with fixing his footwork issues and exactly these processes in his game. Before Geno he worked with the receivers and Russel Wilson, Baker had his most efficent season in terms of getting the ball out (fastest ball out time and lowest sack rate since he took the Browns to the divisional round). Bryce's dropback and post snap process was repeatedly hosed with as a rookie and it's been well documented.

Even Hurst came out and half threw the offensive coaching staff right under the bus. There's an interview where he all but stops himself from saying the coaches bungled every single move because McCown, Brown and Reich couldn't come to a consensus on what kind of offensive scheme they were going to run and how it was going to work.

He didn't have issues turning his back to the defense in college and there's plenty of plays where he did it last season, you cheat and peek like Bryce did toward the end of the year because the offensive line was horrible on the interior and the scheme was a mismash and installed week to week. Everything Canales has done in the past suggest he's seen and dealt with these issues before.

There's a lot that could go wrong with the hire and the attempt to rebuild from here, including maybe you're right and Bryce cant play in the NFL but even if he can't I still think the list of guys better suited for the attempt at recovery that were available to Carolina was pretty short and I think they picked the best available guy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1751057189043593588?t=fmp0F4LOBM1LQ_y385guNg&s=19

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The Panthers firing Tabor and Campen is a lot more notable than I think it's getting realized. More notable in Tabor because he was Teppers pet, and you can see he wanted to keep him by refusing to let him interview for NYG before the new GM/HC were hired. But, ultimately, either Morgan or Canales got to yeet him out without too much fuss and overruled any meddling.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

three posted:

The Panthers firing Tabor and Campen is a lot more notable than I think it's getting realized. More notable in Tabor because he was Teppers pet, and you can see he wanted to keep him by refusing to let him interview for NYG before the new GM/HC were hired. But, ultimately, either Morgan or Canales got to yeet him out without too much fuss and overruled any meddling.

Tepper has been blocking every interview for his coordinators. I think he's just petty.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It makes sense to wait til after your HC before you sack all of your coordinators too though. It might have been as simple as they wanted to wait because X coach candidate didn't have an ST coordinator in mind, but Canales did. A few hires came out just before and just after we hired Canales and a couple of those guys were probably in contention.

Sucks for Tabor who did a decent job as interim but I get it too.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSHJ6fs05OM

:hai:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I'm rooting for KC, but good on CMC for making it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MikeTriplett/status/1752368762890649951

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Not a surprise, but really, why did he leave if he’s just building Saints West out there. :sigh:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Not a surprise, but really, why did he leave if he’s just building Saints West out there. :sigh:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

How is the Broncos situation much better once they cut russ?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

really queer Christmas posted:

How is the Broncos situation much better once they cut russ?

The Broncos are 23M over before doing anything and even cutting Russ post June 1 only gets them up to 58M over. They can also just keep him and have him sit and then cut him next year.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

Tepper has been blocking every interview for his coordinators. I think he's just petty.

Evero has had multiple interviews. I'm hoping that because we haven't made any defensive staff moves yet, that means Evero will be back on our sideline if Washington/Seattle don't offer him the job. Seems like we're kinda waiting on that decision right now and building our offensive staff in the meantime.

three
Aug 9, 2007

32nd ranked in QB pressures and people (not just on here) want the DC back. Evero sucks.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

32nd ranked in QB pressures and people (not just on here) want the DC back. Evero sucks.

I dunno, I kinda think the horrendous drafting is probably a factor here.

We were also built to run a college scheme under snow.

Tbh, I think the defense has enough pieces to keep us in game with evero but they need upgrades in personnel in the front 7.

three
Aug 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I dunno, I kinda think the horrendous drafting is probably a factor here.

We were also built to run a college scheme under snow.

Tbh, I think the defense has enough pieces to keep us in game with evero but they need upgrades in personnel in the front 7.

I hate the drafting as much as the next guy, but he had 2 first round picks on the DL and neither would be considered busts. League average pressures was 316.09, the Panthers had 199.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/...urce=the-latest

Man, the Saints are really chasing that 3-win season, aren't they?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Yikes

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

A.o.D. posted:

the moment payton dipped, this org turned into bears south.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Slant boy was going off on Twitter about how poorly they're being run so it's not too surprising they can't find someone to take the job.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

I hate the drafting as much as the next guy, but he had 2 first round picks on the DL and neither would be considered busts. League average pressures was 316.09, the Panthers had 199.

I agree. Brown and Burns are good pieces but Brown came on this year and Burns all but admitted he didn't give it his all to avoid getting hurt without a contract in place.

I think Burns at full clip improves things a little.

But outside of Tuttle playing pretty well rotating in and Yetuer getting the occasional pressure the cupboard is just bare of those glue type pieces who won't wow on the stat sheet but will contribute.

Either way I think we can do a lot worse than having continuity for a year.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I'm so happy I have that paper bag. Gonna see if I can have it specialized.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

I'm so happy I have that paper bag. Gonna see if I can have it specialized.

Why would a Texans fan need a paper bag?! Aren’t you very excited to root CJ Stroud, the sensational rookie QB on our favorite team the Houston Texans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Right now the team is sending PR out through Jeff Duncan, a decently respected beat writer but is clearly mouthpiecing a bunch of "Lattimore is a problem" and such pieces.

MT in that same Twitter spat called out that he only supports New Orleans Football, which is the Underhill and now Triplett beat site. They're a little more up front about the front office stuff (instead of making a story about Lattimore being a problem, they'll make an article about what Lattimore's trade value is and what it should be, which is a big flag to their readers without making GBS threads on the player or driving down his price).