Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

Here, have an idiot. He gradually adds 1Tbsp > 1/4 Cup > 1/2 Cup > 1 Cup sawdust to bread dough, bakes and eats them to see if the historical story of "unscrupulous" millers adding sawdust to flour undetected is viable. That's all in the first 7:30

There's a midpoint break where he builds a wood box, and then Experiment 2: Can he taste the difference between different types of sawdust? Yup. And cedar is pretty not terrible. Black walnut is the worst.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTC_ETWa3JA

TLDW: Up to 1/4 cup of sawdust in a basic loaf of bread might slip past some people. Anything above that is terrible. Oh, and don't do it.

This resolves a debate my husband and I had six years ago. Bill Bryson talks about adulterated foods in his book "At Home". After I read it, I asked my husband (who at the time was in his 10th year working as a baker at an artisanal bread bakery) if he thought sawdust bread would work. He said yes, because you can bake a loaf with a bunch of seeds or raisins or whatever and it rises fine. I said no way, because WHAT???

He also thought yeast was a bacteria, so apparently you don't actually need to know anything about bread to do the physical labor in making 500 lb batches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cellulose also helps you poop better if you're on a highly processed diet so who can really say if sawdust is bad for you.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This resolves a debate my husband and I had six years ago. Bill Bryson talks about adulterated foods in his book "At Home". After I read it, I asked my husband (who at the time was in his 10th year working as a baker at an artisanal bread bakery) if he thought sawdust bread would work. He said yes, because you can bake a loaf with a bunch of seeds or raisins or whatever and it rises fine. I said no way, because WHAT???

He also thought yeast was a bacteria, so apparently you don't actually need to know anything about bread to do the physical labor in making 500 lb batches.

People 500 years ago didn't know what the gently caress yeast was either but they did fine.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Can one eat a Canadian goose? Has any country’s cuisine tried?

Canada geese are a staple food for some First Nations in Canada. Kids will get two weeks off school and a band-supplied flat of shotgun shells to go hunt geese during spring migration. They're incredibly greasy and don't taste that great, people render the fat and use it for all sorts of ceremonial and practical stuff.

People also eat lots of endangered species. Peacocks can't survive here but I guess Harlequin duck is a decent substitute.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Decoy Badger posted:

Canada geese are a staple food for some First Nations in Canada. Kids will get two weeks off school and a band-supplied flat of shotgun shells to go hunt geese during spring migration. They're incredibly greasy and don't taste that great, people render the fat and use it for all sorts of ceremonial and practical stuff.

People also eat lots of endangered species. Peacocks can't survive here but I guess Harlequin duck is a decent substitute.

Medicinal uses too. Rub goose grease on your chest like vicks vaporub to bring down a fever. I have no idea how getting greasy is supposed to help, but some folks used to swear by it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Structurally, sawdust won't goop up and fuse together and stretch into chains as the yeast bubbles, but neither will like bran or cornmeal. The real trouble comes with when you're eating it and you've got a lot of wood in your mouth that won't break down like wheat. I think I've heard things about bread that got sand mixed into it leading to people grinding down their teeth.

And of course, there's people out there on the internet that made sawdust bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTC_ETWa3JA
It's a more fun experiment with rice crispies, to see how much sawdust you can put in before people notice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDal51f5LU

The exact difference between bacteria and other microorganisms is fairly abstract. I think most people wouldn't know the specific thing that separates prokaryotes and eukaryotes. I guess the most relevant difference is the fact that bacteria needs a host to reproduce, so you couldn't do the thing where you keep a culture of yeast as one eternal culture.

Medically it can still infect you, so that blurs things more. You can also take the yeast from an infection and make it into bread. https://www.self.com/story/a-woman-is-getting-hate-mail-after-trying-to-bake-bread-with-vaginal-yeast

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

gonna make artisanal Fritos from dog paw yeast.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Medically it can still infect you, so that blurs things more. You can also take the yeast from an infection and make it into bread. https://www.self.com/story/a-woman-is-getting-hate-mail-after-trying-to-bake-bread-with-vaginal-yeast

One of my friends got a yeast infection in his armpit and he was digging at it constantly like the Fishing Hole Guy in Ocarina of Time. He did not find the comparison funny.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

SlothfulCobra posted:

The exact difference between bacteria and other microorganisms is fairly abstract. I think most people wouldn't know the specific thing that separates prokaryotes and eukaryotes. I guess the most relevant difference is the fact that bacteria needs a host to reproduce, so you couldn't do the thing where you keep a culture of yeast as one eternal culture.

Many types of bacteria do not need a host to live. They can be grown in culture.

Some bacteria only need a source of carbon, nitrogen and micronutrients to grow.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
think they're thinking of viruses, which are obligate parasites, although they can be parasites of increasingly small poo poo down to bacteria

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I've heard things about bread that got sand mixed into it leading to people grinding down their teeth.
Pretty sure this is one of the methods used to determine the age/affluence of ancient Egyptian skeletons, or at least an interesting data point thereof.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Sourdough has a mix of yeast and lactic acid bacteria that have teamed up to do a one two combo on the sugars in the dough, one breaks down the complex stuff and poops out smaller bits that the other feeds on.
There is also a bread that is made with a bacteria that is one of the most common sources of food poisoning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt-rising_bread

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I've heard things about bread that got sand mixed into it leading to people grinding down their teeth.

Not sure about sand but I'd imagine some places had weaker grindstones that would break down into grit much faster than others, I'm pretty sure people would have had a healthy trade for better hard wearing ones back in the day.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coldpudding posted:

Sourdough has a mix of yeast and lactic acid bacteria that have teamed up to do a one two combo on the sugars in the dough, one breaks down the complex stuff and poops out smaller bits that the other feeds on.
There is also a bread that is made with a bacteria that is one of the most common sources of food poisoning https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt-rising_bread

In that wiki it says "Thus there is no indication of salt-rising bread having ever caused any human disease"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This resolves a debate my husband and I had six years ago. Bill Bryson talks about adulterated foods in his book "At Home".

I wonder if Bryson does the same thing when writing about food that he does when writing about language, i.e. just being plain wrong about stuff on literally every page?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I wonder if Bryson does the same thing when writing about food that he does when writing about language, i.e. just being plain wrong about stuff on literally every page?

So many dumb but fun little anecdotes and factoids I learned by heart from that book as a language nerd teenager and had to spend the rest of my life unlearning

Even on first read I knew some of it was bullshit and wrong but I figured, hey, they wouldn't let you just write a book and be wrong about everything

e: just yesterday I was remembering his little impish rumplestiltskin-dance about "lol what if inert implied you could be full of ert?" and how annoyed I was that no, ert would be an adjective in that construction, not a noun, what the hell is going on here

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Jan 26, 2024

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

EoinCannon posted:

In that wiki it says "Thus there is no indication of salt-rising bread having ever caused any human disease"

Well yeah I didn't say the bread made you sick, the magic of baking bread is that it sterilizes it in the process otherwise everyone would be drunk off their asses with auto brewery syndrome by now, I just thought it was neat.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

coldpudding posted:

Well yeah I didn't say the bread made you sick, the magic of baking bread is that it sterilizes it in the process otherwise everyone would be drunk off their asses with auto brewery syndrome by now, I just thought it was neat.
Inhaling air through school cafeteria buns absolutely contributed to my taste for beer later in life.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

He's also real good at being weird and skeevy about women, I could imagine him fitting that into a book on food.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

He's also real good at being weird and skeevy about women, I could imagine him fitting that into a book on food.

You see Paul, adulterating bread is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You see Paul, adulterating bread is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Commit adultery with the bread, Paul. That's what words mean.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Commit adultery with the bread, Paul. That's what words mean.

Buddy they won't even let me

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Last time I hosed bread I ended up with genital pain

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

:discourse:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I didn't even mention the dough nuts.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Yung Nugget: "Let's get this loving bread"
Brawnfire: "Nooo that's my loving bread!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Don't touch it, you batard!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't ask how the Brawnfire family put the baby into their famous king cake

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018
I'm looking for a pic that used to be posted in this thread a lot, it was a plate of microwaved horse meat with the packaging still on it served with a side of melted gummy bears. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Brawnfire posted:

:laffo:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Manky Tungeon posted:

I'm looking for a pic that used to be posted in this thread a lot, it was a plate of microwaved horse meat with the packaging still on it served with a side of melted gummy bears. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'm so glad I don't

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Unfortunately for all of you, I DO remember.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i found it just by feeding the stated description into google. and they say google is useless these days. lmao

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

☹️

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/o8r1zyzd0qec1/DASH_720.mp4

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No way is that a full kg. More like half a kg

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I need to get one of those kinds of cheese shredders

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

Pogonodon posted:

Unfortunately for all of you, I DO remember.

thank you kind sir. it's even better than i remembered

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

steinrokkan posted:

No way is that a full kg. More like half a kg

I thought they were all gonna get stacked into a giant sandwich tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'd split it with someone who also never wanted to poop again