Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Traitors

I think a possible clue against Harry thats been overlooked is the Ross/Diane thing. If Diane was his mum he probably wouldn't have murdered her, meaning he may have been recruited which leads back to Harry's shield being a ploy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can’t believe how the direction I was expecting following Fridays episode is now completely out the bag. It’s amazing how so much can change in just an episode.

also with the whole Andrew/Ross thing, is that the first time someone has told a lie about another player? I’ve been waiting for that for so long! Like two traitors could say they walked in on a faithful acting suspicious with someone who’s since been outed as a Traitor, and get them banished based on how easy it is to lead people.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Lemon posted:

Traitors chat:

My prediction is, today's episode it's gonna be Jaz who was murdered & Jasmine will get banished.

Killing Jaz will also tie up the loose end of Jaz knowing that it was Harry who told Paul that Jaz thought Paul was suspicious, so I reckon it's the right move.

I do think it's Harry's game to lose at this point. Can't believe I thought he was going to be useless when he was first picked. Andrew is so hapless that it won't be very satisfying if he does somehow manage a win on his own, although him lying about the "elusive" thing was funny (as was Harry glowering at Ross while dunking biscuits in milk).

Lemon
May 22, 2003

It's never not funny when Andrew just talks about traitor stuff at the top of his voice whilst wandering down a hallway

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

One of the things I've wondered, and the thing that got me through to the next stage of the traitors application process, was wondering about how much the traitors can lie about the mechanics of the game itself.

I asked if I could lie about having a role within the game that doesn't actually exist, such as an investigator role. They could actually answer that part.

However, the casing AP started that you can otherwise lie about anything else you wanted to, and are encouraged to.

I also said that I would hide behind the curtains to try and eavesdrop on other people's conversations. Surprised that's not been tried yet.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Traitors:

i was hoping everyone wouldnt swallow the 'they tried to kill Harry but he had a secret shield' narrative but i guess a good sounding story that also clears everyone he told about the shield of being a traitor was too convienient for them to question much. I was hoping Ross would go hard on Harry and say anything about it being cover for a recruitment, in the same way Harry himself spelled out the exact mechanics of the dungeon situation when he took out Paul. I wanted his vengence quest to go a lot better.

Its a shame his shenanigans have mainly messed with Andrew, who's a lot easier to root for than Harry. The poo poo stiring was really good at first but Andrew was put in situation where he had to deny the whole thing at the round table because it was explicitly traitor stuff Harry was being 'ellusive' about in the first place.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

What do you reckon would happen if a traitor just lost their poo poo at the round table and straight up outed the others?

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Lemon posted:

What do you reckon would happen if a traitor just lost their poo poo at the round table and straight up outed the others?

I've heard this did happen in another country's version and the production crew just had to reset the game back to Day 1 and pick entirely new traitors. I'd imagine there's something in the contracts to punish anyone who does this though.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Yeah that's what I figured. If I was Ross I think I may well have fallen foul of that, they did well to hold it together.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
RE how things will play out, one interesting thing is that they're really making Harry less and less likeable in the edit compared to, say, Andrew. The "I'm so smart" confessional feels like they're obviously setting him up for a fall, but I can't possibly see how that plays out.

Tsietisin posted:

One of the things I've wondered, and the thing that got me through to the next stage of the traitors application process, was wondering about how much the traitors can lie about the mechanics of the game itself.

I asked if I could lie about having a role within the game that doesn't actually exist, such as an investigator role. They could actually answer that part.

However, the casing AP started that you can otherwise lie about anything else you wanted to, and are encouraged to.

I also said that I would hide behind the curtains to try and eavesdrop on other people's conversations. Surprised that's not been tried yet.

I'd be really curious to hear more about what the process was like, if you can share. Are they basically looking for a character pitch from you?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Traitors US is hosted by Alan Cumming, who is camping it up 150%. :allears:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dell_Zincht posted:

One of the most successful inventors on DD is the bloke who invented the Tangle Teezer. The dragons basically laughed him out of the Den but his products are sold in TK Maxx and Boots SO WHO'S LAUGHING NOW EH, BITCHES

(For real though, Tangle Teezer has been a huge success and the bloke behind it is now a multi-millionaire)

I still remember Trunkie and how Paphetis said it was useless poo poo because he smashed it up

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Traitors bit of a calm before the storm episode as expected, hoping tomorrow’s is a big finale or all the fun was last week. Murdering Zack over Jas was a mistake, but I’m not sure Jas has the ability to have people turn against Harry and I don’t think they’ll be able to get them both out anyway. Think this is gonna be a W for team Traitor, but we’ll see!

E: dont know why Harry didn’t take the £7k, just justify it by saying it’s likely only 1-2K out of the final winners pockets as it’s likely to be shared and it’s impossible to say if they get the traitors out anyway. Dont think that decision would ever be used against someone.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 25, 2024

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah in hindsight taking the money and seeming guilty about it is actually the most faithful looking option, it’s a win win. I think he didn’t have enough time to think it through.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Traitors

Lol well I was completely wrong about the murder, still not sure if getting rid of Zack was a good move from the traitors or not.

I feel like it's pretty finely poised here. I cannot see that the faithful will go into tomorrow believing that there are no traitors left.

So, in order to finish the game, the traitors are going to have to turn on each other and get one of them out. But of course without making it look like they are pushing it, lest they cast suspicion on themselves.

It feels like they are both on a pretty even footing in that regard. Mollie is suspicious of Andrew, so Harry can back her up. Jaz is suspicious of Harry, so Andrew can back him up.

It could well come down to a 2 vs 2 with Evie having the deciding vote. It's tight either way but I could see her voting for Harry.

But then again, Harry has 2 bites at the cherry. Get Andrew out first, or get Evie out, then Andrew.

Actually, no, if Evie went out, I think we'd still be at a 2 vs 2. Then if no-one changes their votes, it's down to chance?

Edit: Of course it all depends on whether Jaz actually ever shares any of his suspicions with someone. If he goes to Andrew & Evie about Harry before the round table, Andrew might realise he can get a 3 on 2 and go for the win.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 26, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Traitors

I know it's only a game, but some of the edits - Mollie's increasingly intense declarations of fellowship with Harry, Andrew sweetly and inaccurately declaring that he has a father-son relationship with the young man who patronisingly adjusts his cloak and calls him 'Baby Traitor' - are starting to make my skin crawl a bit.

Again, if Harry's going to win they've really set him up as a nasty heel over the past few eps. It's odd.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

thehustler posted:

Great to see them all investing in pseudoscience too. I mean, for gently caress's sake.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/bbc-remove-dragons-den-episode-31970145

quote:

BBC remove Dragons' Den episode after concerns raised over 'ear seeds'

Concerns were raised after a guest showcased 'ear seeds' which allegedly helped 'cure' her myalgic encephalomyelitis pains

pffaahhahahahaha

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Traitors

Onto the final episode then (which I'm going to miss and have to catch up on tomorrow. Avoiding spoilers will be a nightmare!). It does make me wonder how much of the game is dictated by the producers/Claudia - stopping the traitors from murdering last night was clearly designed so they couldn't go into the final episode on even numbers and therefore an advantage. I also wonder if they were pushed to recruit (particularly Ross) as otherwise it felt they were too strong.

Paths to victory:

Andrew is going to struggle. Mollie and Jaz have both previously voted for him and the Ross debacle has made him more suspicious. I can't see a scenario where they're in a final vote and either of them are happy to end the game with Andrew present.

Harry needs to be in a final vote with Mollie and only Mollie. Jaz has the master theory which he's kept secret for a while now. That's going to come out at some point. If it's Harry and Mollie vs Jaz then Harry can certainly win (though I have this sneaking suspicion he'll either fall on his sword for Mollie, or offer to share the money with her).

Mollie, Jaz, and Evie are in trouble. Evie is probably first out and that's all very silly because it came from a theory that is wrong. It's then going to come down to whether Andrew and Harry can work together and keep Mollie on their side to get rid of Jaz.

I'm really enjoying Mollie's interviews where she talks about how much her and Harry have bonded, how she trusts him, how she feels comfortable getting to the final with him, then cutting to Harry who might as well be twirling an evil moustache.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EvilHawk posted:

Traitors

It does make me wonder how much of the game is dictated by the producers/Claudia - stopping the traitors from murdering last night was clearly designed so they couldn't go into the final episode on even numbers and therefore an advantage..

yeah I’m sure they have a system that tells them exactly what needs to happen at every step based on how many traitors/faithful remain to ensure the game remains playable. As for whether they push for a recruitment, possible and we know that they put the mechanism in that kills an approached recruit if they decline the offer when it’s needed

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I seriously doubt they push for who should be recruited/murdered. But yes they probably do have a spreadsheet saying roughly how many traitors/faithful they want there to be at each episode and have various levers they can pull to keep it at that balance.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

grobbo posted:

RE how things will play out, one interesting thing is that they're really making Harry less and less likeable in the edit compared to, say, Andrew. The "I'm so smart" confessional feels like they're obviously setting him up for a fall, but I can't possibly see how that plays out.

I'd be really curious to hear more about what the process was like, if you can share. Are they basically looking for a character pitch from you?

IN effect, that is exactly what they are looking for. They want to know what side you would prefer to be on and your suggested technique for how you could win.

I found out about it by a post on a Board Game group on Discord. There are a surprising number of game shows that look for contestants through that group, I am guessing that they want to have people that have logical thinking skills and smarts. Several of my friends have been on game shows due to posts on that group. One of the casting Directors asked people to PM them if they have any questions. I did so and after a little back and forth they called me up. This was because I asked a question that apparently no-one had asked before "Can I lie about the mechanics of the game?". They didn't know the answer so had to go get clarification.

What I found out during my discussion with them.

As mentioned above, contestants are encouraged to lie about anything from the moment they are at the train station. From that point the game is on and you are expected to play it. The show is filmed over the course of an entire month, for season 3 they are filming throughout the whole of May. If you are eliminated at any point, you will go home straight away. Contestants are paid for the time that they remain in the competition, they get £100 a day, plus meals and transport covered. Each "day" of the show is actually 2 days. You do 3 sets of 2 days, then have Sunday off to do what you want.

You can generally lie about anything you want, however they are looking to tell a good story. Apparently some contestants will go to the bathrooms where there are no cameras and have conversations there. It means that if a contestant later on talks about a discussion they had in the bathroom, they cannot use that later footage as they cannot show any footage from that initial conversation to tell the story. As such they say that all conversations should be made in filmable areas.

With regards to myself, there are questions like "What is the biggest lie you ever told? Was it ever found out?" and "What is the biggest secret you know? How well have you kept that secret?"

They are looking for people that are going to be outgoing and have a great screen presence. They want you to show that you are going to make good TV.

Also, they insist you never refer to it as a show, its always "The Game".

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Tsietisin posted:

As mentioned above, contestants are encouraged to lie about anything from the moment they are at the train station. From that point the game is on and you are expected to play it. The show is filmed over the course of an entire month, for season 3 they are filming throughout the whole of May. If you are eliminated at any point, you will go home straight away. Contestants are paid for the time that they remain in the competition, they get £100 a day, plus meals and transport covered. Each "day" of the show is actually 2 days. You do 3 sets of 2 days, then have Sunday off to do what you want.

You can generally lie about anything you want, however they are looking to tell a good story. Apparently some contestants will go to the bathrooms where there are no cameras and have conversations there. It means that if a contestant later on talks about a discussion they had in the bathroom, they cannot use that later footage as they cannot show any footage from that initial conversation to tell the story. As such they say that all conversations should be made in filmable areas.

Really curious about these points (you might not know the answer to any of this). I assume the "days" are filmed as the breakfast + task on day 1, and then reactions + round table on day 2? I saw somewhere else that people actually get told they've been murdered the morning of, I think they take everyone for "actual" breakfast in the hotel they stay at then leave in separate cars, the murdered people are taken elsewhere to be told so nobody else knows.

Can't imagine how they keep the result a secret for ~8 months if people are being sent home in some sort of order. I assumed they'd be held back in some separate location until the end of the filming but maybe that'd be too hard to arrange.

There was a moment last night where I think Harry whispered "they're hiding behind doors" which is quite funny. Don't think we've seen that but I love the idea of someone lurking in the shadows like a vampire.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I haven’t watched any of this series of The Traitors, but last year one of my flatmates realised that you could intuit a lot of who’s who by keeping track of the people to enter breakfast last, which is usually a mini-cliffhanger for the viewers’ benefit. It might not have occurred to the first batch of contestants, but has that sort of thing popped up this series where contestants know how the show works and can find exploits?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
If that's the case, I hope the show adapts to outwit them rather than sticking rigidly to a format and having the show hollowed out

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Matinee posted:

I haven’t watched any of this series of The Traitors, but last year one of my flatmates realised that you could intuit a lot of who’s who by keeping track of the people to enter breakfast last, which is usually a mini-cliffhanger for the viewers’ benefit. It might not have occurred to the first batch of contestants, but has that sort of thing popped up this series where contestants know how the show works and can find exploits?

Certainly in this season, and probably the first season but I can't remember, the contestants know that the murder is between the last people to arrive for breakfast. They do also shake up the order so some of the traitors do enter last (usually, it has to be said, accompanied by someone else). The producers are reasonably good at making it seem random enough.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

Certainly in this season, and probably the first season but I can't remember, the contestants know that the murder is between the last people to arrive for breakfast. They do also shake up the order so some of the traitors do enter last (usually, it has to be said, accompanied by someone else). The producers are reasonably good at making it seem random enough.

I guess they are saying like for example, the last person who comes through the door can't be a traitor, because obviously the audience at home was waiting to see if was them or the other person who is going to be the murder victim. I can't remember if they have ever gone against this and ended with the traitor coming in last.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

I guess they are saying like for example, the last person who comes through the door can't be a traitor, because obviously the audience at home was waiting to see if was them or the other person who is going to be the murder victim. I can't remember if they have ever gone against this and ended with the traitor coming in last.

That was exactly it, thank you. I couldn’t remember the exact logic of it earlier, but I remembered it seemed quite game-breaking once it was pointed out to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They do mix it up a little bit, sometimes 2 people will come in the last batch maybe including a traitor, s1 definitely showed a pattern that should’ve been identified by the players. It should tell them at least who else might’ve been on the chopping block (they can also do clever editing to change the broadcast order mind).

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Spoilers for an early episode:

Ash was the last through the door in ep 3 or 4, I think. Pretty sure Harry or Andrew have been last or come in the last group as well.

minema
May 31, 2011
I saw an interview with someone last year who said he got told off by producers for saying that he 100% trusted someone else because they'd mentioned something to do with watching live TV that night that meant they couldn't have been a traitor. Apparently this sort of meta gaming isn't allowed understandably.

I have a very high win rate at Blood On The Clocktower and there's part of me that really wants to apply for next season but I don't think I'm cut out for TV!

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

minema posted:

I saw an interview with someone last year who said he got told off by producers for saying that he 100% trusted someone else because they'd mentioned something to do with watching live TV that night that meant they couldn't have been a traitor. Apparently this sort of meta gaming isn't allowed understandably.

I have a very high win rate at Blood On The Clocktower and there's part of me that really wants to apply for next season but I don't think I'm cut out for TV!

sidebar but is Blood on the Clocktower decent? from what I've read, I'd love the premise but I don't wanna get stuck being the bloody game master

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bozza posted:

sidebar but is Blood on the Clocktower decent? from what I've read, I'd love the premise but I don't wanna get stuck being the bloody game master

I’ve heard a lot of “I’ve played it once, and it was a lot of fun but never again” type comments. I’ll give it a go one day! I remember SU&SD really liking it.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Bozza posted:

It's good, yes. Players staying in the game after death, and a single load bearing evil player are great changes to the Mafia format, before even considering the roles.

Being the ST is more fun than running most social deduction games, as you're much more of an active participant rather than rules bot. But it's not the same kind of fun as playing. If you're in a city maybe see if a game store or club does a clocktower night sometime.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

there was one literally last Saturday night at the game shop near me. will keep an eye out

Lemon
May 22, 2003

traitors

JAZ WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO GET MOLLIE OF ALL PEOPLE TO FLIP ON HARRY

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Lemon posted:

traitors

JAZ WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO GET MOLLIE OF ALL PEOPLE TO FLIP ON HARRY

Because it was his only chance of them winning and he was SO CLOSE. SHE CHANGED THE NAME. SHE EVEN KNEW IT DEFINITELY WASN’T JAZ BECAUSE HE VOTED TO CONTINUE, SHE JUST THOUGHT IT WASN’T HARRY MORE.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Annabel Pee posted:

Because it was his only chance of them winning and he was SO CLOSE. SHE CHANGED THE NAME. SHE EVEN KNEW IT DEFINITELY WASN’T JAZ BECAUSE HE VOTED TO CONTINUE, SHE JUST THOUGHT IT WASN’T HARRY MORE.

Yeah fair play it did almost work out for him, but I just couldn't get my head around why he didn't try to go to Evie and/or Andrew, but then I guess it turned out he was just too suspicious of everyone.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Traitors: Poor Mollie, hope she's alright. Jaz got so close but stuffed it up by kicking Evie and Andrew out first.

Meanwhile the spirit of Paul lurks in the thunderclouds above the castle, laughing and nodding.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Volcano posted:

Traitors: Poor Mollie, hope she's alright. Jaz got so close but stuffed it up by kicking Evie and Andrew out first.

Meanwhile the spirit of Paul lurks in the thunderclouds above the castle, laughing and nodding.

To be fair Jaz had every right to assume that when he voted to continue the banishments, Mollie could put two and two together to realize he wouldn't be doing that if he was a traitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Traitors

Jaz missed the most obvious loving play in the end game which is why would he call another vote if he was a traitor???? he would have won if they were both faithful and he knew it.