Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Just over a decade ago, CIG started to use 10-year probations from their community forum as a form of de facto permaban. Although that forum was retired in favor of Spectrum, the underlying profile information remains intact, and the first of the 10-year probations have now started to expire.

Here is a before and after screenshot of one of the affected accounts. I'm not sure whether the bio was already there and just isn't displayed for accounts on active probation, or whether this user came back today to add their two cents.

boviscopophobic fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Their UK office is not far from me, I get tempted to apply for a job there every now and then. They are advertising for a video editor which would probably be funny for the first month or so.

There's a list of the vacancies here for your amusement.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/join-us/studio/uk

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

skyelevator posted:

Their UK office is not far from me, I get tempted to apply for a job there every now and then. They are advertising for a video editor which would probably be funny for the first month or so.

There's a list of the vacancies here for your amusement.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/join-us/studio/uk

"What I enjoy most about working at Cloud Imperium, is firstly, the scope of Star Citizen."

Fuckin lol

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Trilobite posted:

Yup. Anyone else remember many years ago when one true believer responded to criticism of the glacial pace of Star Citizen development and yet another feature disappearing from the roadmap by stating that "CIG always delivers, eventually"? And just think, at that point they'd delivered even less than they have today, and if anything the pace of development has gotten even slower.

That's the mindset we're looking at. They have decided that Star Citizen will exist, therefore it will never matter that it doesn't actually exist. It's "always eventually" inside their heads, and I don't know that even Chris Roberts posting a video of him packing a suitcase full of cash while sweating and mumbling "see ya, suckers!" could make them give that up.

Star Citizen can not fail. You can only fail Star Citizen.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Clerical Terrors posted:

Star Citizen can not fail. You can only fail Star Citizen.

Oh god have we all failed Star Citizen? Should we all feel really bad about this???

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

skyelevator posted:

Their UK office is not far from me, I get tempted to apply for a job there every now and then.

Even just for interview comedy value, you absolutely should. Go out there and play it as the dream-eyed Commando just to see how many of them roll their eyes or start crying silently.

Should you accidentally get offered the job, you can always make up some bullshit such as an improved offer from your current employer, etc.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posted:

here is a tendency to think of the little lore story videos as merely commercials to sell ships, but if that was the case why go to all the trouble? There's absolutely no indication that they would sell less ships if they had no video story to go with them., especially when that story tells you absolutely nothing about the ship anyway.

Counterpoint: Chris' actual passion is making/directing movies and he doesn't give a gently caress about games except as a vehicle for cutscenes and story. They don't exist as a commercial to sell ships, hence why they don't tell you anything about the ship. It's the exact opposite in fact. The ship exists so that Chris can have some story about it and make a movie.

The lore tells you zero about what the game will be. It's not there to be gameplay concepts. The lore exists to be the scaffolding for SQ42 which will most certainly have a huge percentage of the content be cutscenes and other story 'scenes'.
Consider the obsession with the legendary "mess hall scene". It's the opposite of gameplay.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

FishMcCool posted:

Even just for interview comedy value, you absolutely should. Go out there and play it as the dream-eyed Commando just to see how many of them roll their eyes or start crying silently.

Should you accidentally get offered the job, you can always make up some bullshit such as an improved offer from your current employer, etc.

Would it surprise you that the application form is bugged? There's a mandatory question that requests what the name of my degree was, and the auto fill list only goes up to courses that begin with the letter c.

skyelevator fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 25, 2024

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It stops at Commando?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

dr_rat posted:

Oh god have we all failed Star Citizen? Should we all feel really bad about this???

Didn't hold the line

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Just put Concierge

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Crobear Studies undergrad

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

boviscopophobic posted:

Just over a decade ago, CIG started to use 10-year probations from their community forum as a form of de facto permaban. Although that forum was retired in favor of Spectrum, the underlying profile information remains intact, and the first of the 10-year probations have now started to expire.

Here is a before and after screenshot of one of the affected accounts. I'm not sure whether the bio was already there and just isn't displayed for accounts on active probation, or whether this user came back today to add their two cents.

The bio should be the new thread title.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Incitatus posted:

The bio should be the new thread title.

Star Citizen: PLEASE LICK MY loving BALLS

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its cool that they said please at least

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

That turtle is either blown away by the speed or tripping out that the world flashes by them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thoatse posted:

Star Citizen: PLEASE LICK MY loving BALLS

Can someone on Spectrum send him a PM saying welcome back?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Pgbaz probation should be up soon. Stay safe commando o9

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Is Pgabz ok? I hope he is ok.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

Is Pgabz ok? I hope he is ok.
I asked a while ago and already didn't get an answer, hope he's alright too :pray:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Tried to complete a package delivery mission after a few weeks break. I slammed into the ground on landing so it’s kinda on me but I gotta say a loving Cessna is better equipped for night flying than these so called space ships.

Also why the gently caress do I need to carry the boxes myself and walk super slow when I do, who thought this was fun.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hand cart's haven't been added yet, they're waiting for the push/pull pipelines to be completed!

wait, some if not all of that sounds legit like something they've said before, isn't it?

:edit:

ok i thought i had remembered this being a thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/11v5yqf/oh_cool_a_shopping_cart_thingy_ignore_the_random/

so looks like they function about as well as you'd expect anything in SC to function

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 26, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mokotow posted:

Also why the gently caress do I need to carry the boxes myself and walk super slow when I do, who thought this was fun.

you were supposed to have a slave do that for you, this is part of the fidelity and youre playing it wrong

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Right, there is the whole inconvenient truth gameplay.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

oh i am 100% sure there are entire teams and groups of employees working extremely hard, crunching and burning the candle at both ends

for what exactly , no one but the crobbler knows

and he will change it all on a whim throwing out months of work anyways

so pad your resume while you can and keep collecting that paycheck i say

Thinking that Chris has any idea either at this point seems rather optimistic :colbert:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mokotow posted:

Because Chris thinks it looks super cool when tight butt spacemen walk super slowly away from the camera - even if they're just carrying a 1U box, they should look like they're heading towards their F4F Wildcat across the flight deck of USS Long Island before doing something brave in the skies over Guadalcanal.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Also, if you let Citizens run with boxes, they'd constantly fall through the floor and get trapped in the Hell Of Glitched Physics at the bottom of the map, or worse, yeet themselves through a wall and discover that airlocks are the only reason they can't breathe vacuum and fly around via nipplejets.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Trilobite posted:

Also, if you let Citizens run with boxes, they'd constantly fall through the floor and get trapped in the Hell Of Glitched Physics at the bottom of the map, or worse, yeet themselves through a wall and discover that airlocks are the only reason they can't breathe vacuum and fly around via nipplejets.

Yes there is that as well, particularly the nipple jets.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

FishMcCool posted:

New pet project for when I can be bothered (which basically means never): make a SC Simulator in a cheap/free outdated version of RPG Maker.

It will have hot dogs, an expo hall and a parping skill.

It seems Starfield might be the Squadron 404 we'll never get. Surprised no one has designed any of the SC ships in Starfield. (If ships could be downloaded like mods and I had time, I do it. Release the playable ship on Nexus and figure out someplace to sell the jpg rendering for hundreds...) Just need a quest editor and Pusher model...

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 27, 2024

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mokotow posted:

Because Ripley did it in that one scene in Aliens.
What do you mean the box carrying wasn't the point and can't just be copied straight off, and that it was just a setup for the sequel-amped boss fight at the end?

You obviously know nothing about Chris-level writing and movie making. :colbert:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I finished Everspace 2 the other day. Good game, really nice visuals, feels lovely to buzz around and demolish pirate stations. Would recommend.

Lacklustre selection of jpg. though.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Star Citizen adjacent story incoming

I got Star Wars: Squadrons forever ago during a free giveaway (Epic store I think) and finally got around to trying to play it. Go to load it from Epic and then it opens up EA Launcher. From EA Launcher it comes back with some kind of Easy Cheat popup box and then closes itself out from there. The workarounds to get it to open range from editing the registry to disabling the anti-virus but there is no real solution I could find. I just ended up uninstalling it. I just wanna click Play and play a game, it's not 1997 anymore I shouldn't have to do all this nonsense to load a game lol

Anyway thanks EA

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Squadrons was fun, I had so much fun pwning people in my A-Wing in VR.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Imagine the money you’d make by doing “Everspace but Star Wars”, anyway here’s a new series of space trucks we promise will be released before the Sun explodes.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

jarlywarly posted:

Squadrons was fun, I had so much fun pwning people in my A-Wing in VR.

yea its a shame that game died so early, i enjoyed the MP a lot

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Love Squadrons and recently reinstalled it. Never had any trouble on Steam to launch it.. great fun to play in VR with HOTAS/pedals. Might even get around to making my TIE Fighter yoke thing (8 of the 10 ships use the same 4 DoF yoke arrangement)

This thing: :v:

Features:

-moves same way yokes do in Squadrons ie: grips move in pitch/roll but slaved to each other, whole mechanism moves in/out + roll like a normal yoke
-cam centering with adjustable damping on grip pitch/roll (based on Olukelo cams) as well as yoke roll (based on Crosswind cam)
-linear slides/adjustable damping for throttle plunge axis
-Hall sensors

I made a kinematic mockup to validate the axis arrangements. As they are in game wasn't ideal the grip's pitch/roll needed to be moved to palm level, in game it's well below your hand but irl this causes nasty crosstalk between stick pitch/roll and the yoke's roll axis.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Squadrons was fun as hell but was AFAIK a relatively underfunded labor of love from within EA, hence the low launch price etc. It was also hard as a motherfucker and didn't offer me any real compstomp options, so I had to suffer the inevitable consequences of space rebellion at the hands of TIE gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
all EA had to do was just flesh it out a bit more and make it X-Wing vs. TIE-Fighter II and bingo bango

give the community tools to make campaigns/battles and that would've been perfect. The bones are basically there but they tripped at the finish line