Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It would be funny if he just got to keep Black Whip in the end and just gets to Spider-Man it up for the rest of his life. It's very obvious that it is by far Hori's favorite of all his powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rhonne posted:

It would be funny if he just got to keep Black Whip in the end and just gets to Spider-Man it up for the rest of his life. It's very obvious that it is by far Hori's favorite of all his powers.

I think it'll be this but in some convoluted way where
A: He doesn't have Banjo living inside of his head and
B: They're infused with the essence of OfA or something, making them golden (i.e. less scary)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The dark Deku stuff is kinda funny seeing as Deku is going so far out of his way to argue with people that he doesn't want to kill this world ending threat. It's like reverse Venom Spiderman.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So how many people predicted Deku willingly giving OFA to Shiggy?

Once Danger Sense got stolen, the writing was on that wall that Deku was gonna lose OFA in some capacity.

Losing Gearshift means the physical rebound goes away immediately? Okay sure whatever.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

DizzyBum posted:

So how many people predicted Deku willingly giving OFA to Shiggy?

Once Danger Sense got stolen, the writing was on that wall that Deku was gonna lose OFA in some capacity.

Losing Gearshift means the physical rebound goes away immediately? Okay sure whatever.

It's a really cool concept but I hope more of the cast get to take part in this. When they first showed Deku training Blackwhip with the help of Tsuyu, Sero and someone else I had a feeling we weren't going to see much of them later on. Tsuyu at least got a bit of a showing with Toga for a chapter though

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Quirk force ghosts have been possibly my single least favorite part of this manga since the concept was fleshed out(instead of just being weirdly hinted at in the Shinso fight), so the prospect of the climactic final battle being centered almost entirely around force ghosts doing force ghost things is kind of a downer.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

if the finale of this manga comes down to quirk ghost and not punch harder I'll honestly be disappointed. You're supposed to dance with the one what brung ya.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

Quirk force ghosts have been possibly my single least favorite part of this manga since the concept was fleshed out(instead of just being weirdly hinted at in the Shinso fight), so the prospect of the climactic final battle being centered almost entirely around force ghosts doing force ghost things is kind of a downer.

Imagine if the final battle of Star Wars was Obi-Wan's force ghost fighting the darkness inside of Darth Vader. Wouldn't that have been just as cool as Darth Vader throwing the emperor down a hole in a last minute pull on what remained of his humanity?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really doubt the force ghosts are going to solve everything, they're just going to set up a situation where Deku is actually able to get through via his determination to rescue someone even without quirks (i.e: the dude's literal original 'superpower') because it's reasonably thematic for Deku to give up his powers and go back to being quirkless and saving the day through his courage in a parallel to how he tried to save Bakugo in the first chapter.

It's predictable but like "Deku solves the problem via punching really hard" wasn't even really on the table after the entire series made it clear that Deku's real ability is encouraging and talking to people.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Deku will end this with a normal punch which will do more damage than Suneater's plasma cannon.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Electric Phantasm posted:

Deku will end this with a normal punch which will do more damage than Suneater's plasma cannon.

A punch that will change into a hug or a handshake at the last minute.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

hiddenriverninja posted:

A punch that will change into a hug or a handshake at the last minute.

United States of Fist Bump

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

100% think it'll be quirkless vs quirkless at the end, yea

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Kild posted:

100% think it'll be quirkless vs quirkless at the end, yea

Shiggy has non-quirk superpowers too, though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Staltran posted:

Shiggy has non-quirk superpowers too, though.

For the last time, son: being a gamer is not a superpower. Now please clean your room.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's silly how much we've blurred the line between metaphorical and literal with this ghost zone. the ghosts are gonna punch shiggy's trauma?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheHan posted:

It's silly how much we've blurred the line between metaphorical and literal with this ghost zone. the ghosts are gonna punch shiggy's trauma?

Deku's gonna turn into a force ghost to dive into Shigaraki just like Edward Alphonse did to Pride and beat up his dad and All For One back on the day he killed his family and save Tenko.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I really doubt the force ghosts are going to solve everything, they're just going to set up a situation where Deku is actually able to get through via his determination to rescue someone even without quirks (i.e: the dude's literal original 'superpower') because it's reasonably thematic for Deku to give up his powers and go back to being quirkless and saving the day through his courage in a parallel to how he tried to save Bakugo in the first chapter.

It's predictable but like "Deku solves the problem via punching really hard" wasn't even really on the table after the entire series made it clear that Deku's real ability is encouraging and talking to people.

It isn't really an issue of "Deku isn't going to solve the problem by punching really hard? Man that sucks" and more "Absent any way to actually directly appeal to this guy who claims to be a very committed murderer, some force ghosts living in Deku's head are going to fly into Shigaraki's mind and do magic juju to unravel his psychological traumas and make him persuadable because we've written a situation where there's no other plausible way to persuade him."

The force ghosts aren't going to solve everything, but it looks like they're going to be the catalyst by which things can even be solved in the first place.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Quirk phantoms will break apart Shigaraki’s trauma and allow Deku to actually reason with him. Deku’s heartfelt plea to Shigaraki will resonate and Shigaraki will selflessly choose to disintegrate himself to prevent more people from getting harmed, and also because of his remorse. Thus, Deku becomes the greatest hero for talking a teenager into killing himself. This parallels nicely with Bakugo having recently bullied a baby until it got so frustrated that it died.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Quirk phantoms will break apart Shigaraki’s trauma and allow Deku to actually reason with him. Deku’s heartfelt plea to Shigaraki will resonate and Shigaraki will selflessly choose to disintegrate himself to prevent more people from getting harmed, and also because of his remorse. Thus, Deku becomes the greatest hero for talking a teenager into killing himself. This parallels nicely with Bakugo having recently bullied a baby until it got so frustrated that it died.

Isn't Shigaraki like 21 or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

It isn't really an issue of "Deku isn't going to solve the problem by punching really hard? Man that sucks" and more "Absent any way to actually directly appeal to this guy who claims to be a very committed murderer, some force ghosts living in Deku's head are going to fly into Shigaraki's mind and do magic juju to unravel his psychological traumas and make him persuadable because we've written a situation where there's no other plausible way to persuade him."

The force ghosts aren't going to solve everything, but it looks like they're going to be the catalyst by which things can even be solved in the first place.

I mean the catalyst would be "Deku gives up his quirk, and very specifically the quirk of his mentor and idol, the one thing he wanted absolutely more than anything in the entire world and the weight of which has been a major part of his character in order to set up a situation where he can save someone instead of killing them." The exact mechanics are basically unimportant because it's Deku being willing to sacrifice his quirk that is the key point here. Even if the quirk ghosts contribute, it's still going to be up to Deku's choices and actions at the end of the day.

If it was just "The quirk ghosts beat up baby Shigaraki until he stops" I might agree, but otherwise "The boy who wanted more than anything to be All Might gives up All Might to save his own worst enemy" genuinely feels like a reasonable plot path.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Shigaraki like 21 or something?

yeah he's 21

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-413/chapter/41539?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019897

This better not go one quirk at a time, one chapter at a time over the course of 2 months (3 with some chapter breaks).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That's exactly what's going to happen and you know it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hori clearly wants to end this sooner then later so I doubt he would drag it out that much.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hori clearly wants to end this sooner then later so I doubt he would drag it out that much.

This is one of those stories that finds a way to be both rushing headlong to its conclusion and dragging it out at the same time.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Wants to rush to the conclusion but doesn't know how to get there so just kind of aimlessly fires off set pieces that are stitched together with spray foam.

The set pieces are usually pretty cool though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If theres one thing that Horikoshi excels at, it's making Deku look like an absolute madman.

Also, I'm glad that Star and Stripes is more plot-relevant after so many people called her pointless but I am also not a fan of the quirk ghost stuff. This still isn't as bad as Vigilantes but seriously, how on earth is the living All Might seeing Star inside Shigaraki's um, quirk realm? Is there actually some kind of connection between living All Might and the quirk ghost All Might? And then how are the quirk ghosts in Deku then aware that he's seeing them? Its not like quirk ghost All Might has a loving mouth.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

People have been calling "Horikoshi is rushing to the ending!" for like two entire years at this point, give it a break.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nephthys posted:

If theres one thing that Horikoshi excels at, it's making Deku look like an absolute madman.

Also, I'm glad that Star and Stripes is more plot-relevant after so many people called her pointless but I am also not a fan of the quirk ghost stuff. This still isn't as bad as Vigilantes but seriously, how on earth is the living All Might seeing Star inside Shigaraki's um, quirk realm? Is there actually some kind of connection between living All Might and the quirk ghost All Might? And then how are the quirk ghosts in Deku then aware that he's seeing them? Its not like quirk ghost All Might has a loving mouth.

Did humans have souls before quirk factors were a thing?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

People have been calling "Horikoshi is rushing to the ending!" for like two entire years at this point, give it a break.

I mean if Horikoshi wasn't rushing to the ending, we probably wouldn't even be at the "Hospital assault" arc in the manga right now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean if Horikoshi wasn't rushing to the ending, we probably wouldn't even be at the "Hospital assault" arc in the manga right now

This manga has always been rapidly-paced while also having a "ton" of content but not really giving any of it breathing time at all. I don't think the finale has been any different.

I maintain I want to see Hori's art with a competent writer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shadowlyger posted:

I don't think it's weird that people think it feels rushed despite being a zillion chapters. A bunch of characters were basically dropped or had their bits ultra-compressed and Horikoshi's solution to this was the interminable "everyone lines up and takes a swing at Shigaraki/AfO and has a character moment before their attack does nothing and the next one steps up" slog. We also had weird poo poo like Stars and Stripes being introduced and killed off almost immediately and the entire racism bit being brought up and then speedrun to its (completely nonsense) conclusion.

There's definitely a vibe of "I wanted to write about all this stuff but I also don't want to spend my entire life doing MHA/my body is breaking down so I'll slam what I've got sketched out into the story and move on".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

My post was also in response to someone hoping this doesn't turn into Deku losing one quirk, one chapter at a time. Which even if Hori was telling the full story he wanted to tell I doubt he would stretch out like that even then.

I mean If I'm wrong and we get two months of Deku slowly losing OfA I'll eat crow, but right now I don't have any reason to believe that's gonna happen.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWcj9jVgtZQ

new movie starring Fake Might

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fake Might does not have Bizarro's color scheme, 0/10.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tree of Might

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So we're just doing something like the first OVA?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The concept of someone out there misinterpreting their favorite celebrity's words to be about them specifically is a pretty neat idea for a plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So when does this movie take place? Just after the war arc when the whole country is falling apart and Deku is out on his own?