Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kazil posted:

Bringing up the Rudy case, not great for Trump lol

I'm guessing the floor of the judgement is around $100m, likely more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I hope the settlement gives her ownership of truth social, and she hell bans him

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
My mostly uninformed wild guess: $250 million.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean do we think they'll return a verdict today?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CommieGIR posted:

When has he stopped defaming her?
Yeah, this really is the right question to ask, and one the jury will be asked to consider when assess what punitive damages are due. It is proper in NY to ask whether an award would deter future malefactors and the reason the plaintiffs raised Trump's potential wealth at trial is because you may consider that as a factor when calculating damages. You can't take some guy in the 'burbs to the cleaner for defaming you at the local PTA meeting, but you sure as gently caress can whack Trump for millions if he brags all the time he's a billionaire.

He won't even notice it, will he? Just a little $50 million. A wafer thin slice of his vast riches.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

I hope the settlement gives her ownership of truth social, and she hell bans him

That would be the best settlement. Large chunk of cash and she gets to moderate his rear end as she sees fit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
My guess is 20 million

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hollismason posted:

I mean do we think they'll return a verdict today?

Depends entirely on the jury. I believe the plan is to keep them late if needed.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
$10m in damages, $100M+ in punitive damages. He has basically dared the jury to come up with a number so large to a billionaire that he will shut the gently caress up about her.

edit:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1750905040980652251

Yep, they are going for it, come up with a number that will materially hurt Trump, allegedly a billionaire.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 26, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Three Olives posted:

$10m in damages, $100M+ in punitive damages. He has basically dared the jury to come up with a number so large to a billionaire that he will shut the gently caress up about her.

Spoiler from the future: he proceeded to never shut the gently caress up about her

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Three Olives posted:

the issue is he wont. partly because his busted brain, but partly because the GOP will be footing alot of the bill one way or another.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
What's the threshold for damages in a civil jury trial? I know for the verdict they didn't need unanimity, just a majority.

How much damage can one or two chuds on the jury do? Or as long as 50%+1 can agree on a number, that's it?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the issue is he wont. partly because his busted brain, but partly because the GOP will be footing alot of the bill one way or another.

then that's 100 million they can't use for the elections.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

then that's 100 million they can't use for the elections.

oh i didnt say it was a bad thing, least for us/dems/the country. i am just saying it wont shut him up.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rescue Toaster posted:

What's the threshold for damages in a civil jury trial? I know for the verdict they didn't need unanimity, just a majority.

How much damage can one or two chuds on the jury do? Or as long as 50%+1 can agree on a number, that's it?
Five of six actual jurors must decide one way or another.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"Members of the jury, Mr Trump is a big fat loser and - "

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

I hope the cost, emotional and monetary, of needing security for the rest of her life is factored in

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay I change my guess to 20 million initial and then for punitive 50 million

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I'm ok with that. Less money for the GOP, less poo poo head Chuds getting elected across the country.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Asking a jury to come up with an amount of money that will make Donald Trump stop being a baby is like asking them to come up with an amount that will revive the dead. Might as well just put an infinity sign there.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat AI sucks, donnie cant run that fast

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗
$210M total. I think they're going to want to really send a message, and go beyond what Rudy got smacked with.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Can we save the goon guessing spam for when the jury is deliberating please?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Fingers crossed, 350mill

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

drat AI sucks, donnie cant run that fast

He's shuffling very slowly. The blurring effect is the stink.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is this correct: The NY Trial is against Trump ORG, so theoretically the company pays the damages (whatever that difference means).

The Carroll trial is directly against Trump the person, and thus he has to pay the damages.

Correct?

dmitri
Sep 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
"The jury will remember what was said." about Mar a Lago being worth 1,5 billion. Lol this is great

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

Ha ha ha the judge swept madaio’s leg and put him in a bodybag

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

Is this correct: The NY Trial is against Trump ORG, so theoretically the company pays the damages (whatever that difference means).

The Carroll trial is directly against Trump the person, and thus he has to pay the damages.

Correct?

Incorrect, small R donors and the RNC pay for all of it

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kazil posted:

LOL trump hyperinflating his net worth suddenly is a massive issue for him. :sickos:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MrQwerty posted:

Incorrect, small R donors and the RNC pay for all of it

They've paid for his defense, they will likely not pay the punitive damages.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

CommieGIR posted:

They've paid for his defense, they will likely not pay the punitive damages.

The cult will. I imagine the begging emails are already on the way out.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

redshirt posted:

Correct?
Yes, but it's also clear that he views them all as one giant slush fund. And since he and his family are AFAIK 100% the beneficial owners of Trump Org with no outside investors, damages that affect the companies impact him directly too. He's also likely violating a pile of campaign laws as well but the FEC is annoyingly toothless.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Even Alex Jones managed to whine from the stand that anything over a few million in damages would destroy InfoWars, in a last-ditch effort to get sympathy from the jury. Trump isn't even capable of doing that, if he were put on the stand right now and asked about how much money he has he'd say he has 100 billion dollars minimum, probably more

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

It's loving brilliant. Pay up like you (self) reportedly can, or cry poverty and publicly take back what one of the other trials has been about.

Also I want habba to keep running her mouth.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stoatbringer posted:

The cult will. I imagine the begging emails are already on the way out.

To some degree, but his org is basically on the line in this and other cases, his cult doesn't have that much liquidity instantly available for him to use.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

LMFAO

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

kazil posted:

This is how you can tell the judge is no longer concerned about appeals or extra process. This is the exact kind of ruling that could turn into a whine game on appeal, but is highly likely to stick because it’s a generally defensible call made in the framework of the defense being a giant pack of lovely babies. Just from the different points in the process they are at, Engoron probably would’ve sustained this and forced Roberta Kaplan to rephrase or argue the point.

Judge Kaplan knows this is the end of the line and doesn’t give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Pretty sure that it’d be my rear end if i got up and walked out, interrupting a court of law’s proceedings. But we have to let the snowflake have his drama because

Besides being a rich white guy, the thing that has really shielded Trump from get contempted around during these trials is that the judges want the trainwreck out of their courtemroom as fast as possible. Throwing Trump behind bars to cool off might make everyone feel better, but it slows down an already infuriating trial.

And of course he'll rant about how unfair it is, never grasping just gow much deference he's receiving.