Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I fuckin’ told y’all, he is gonna storm in and out of the courtroom all day because it is the most attention he can get right now

I hope they nail him for 2 billion and say he has to sit in the pie pod on national tv

https://youtu.be/eNP1tpcVCp8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Captain Beans posted:

lol bitch rear end move to storm out then come crawling back

he cant even get that right

Now he can storm out again!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

funeral home DJ posted:

I don’t think you can award a property in respect to civil litigation payments, but I think it’s possible for the plaintiff to be rewarded monetary damages, then if the defendant doesn’t pay, they can place liens on owned property until they’re compensated. I have no idea if a lien would prioritize them for compensation if the defendant declares bankruptcy versus mortgage holders and stuff, so who knows.

There is an entire rigmarole about court debts that can, or cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. Generally speaking, if somebody did something maliciously unintentionally, it is not dischargeable. Regardless, we are talking about Trump declaring bankruptcy in that case.

And that would be hilarious.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Habba's bold strategy for closing in the case where her defendant is proven to be guilty: declare that he is innocent :smug:

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Incredible... what a clownshow

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
She's gonna eat a contempt charge and spend a night in lockup just to prove how much she's loyal to daddy

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

please let this end with "TRUMP" owing hundreds of millions and alina hutz esquire in the pokey.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

God, yes, put her in the clink for the weekend

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stop threatening her and warning her and just do it, drat

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Froghammer posted:

She's gonna eat a contempt charge and spend a night in lockup just to prove how much she's loyal to daddy

She's already juiced like $2.5M out of this, which makes me wonder if it's even worth to do that for a shot at more money. Just take your millions and go be a cable news star.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Coolguye posted:

He had to put up a bond in order to even have this case, so he has already paid out a large part of any settlement. Obviously, punitive damages can be higher, and it will probably be a chore to make him pay. However, like others have pointed out, the idea of him simply not paying is not an option.
That's not quite right, this isn't an appeal. The bond is paid because Trump wanted to appeal the original trial verdict. This is a quasi-separate action that would have occurred regardless because he can't shut his loving mouth. Even if this trial didn't take place, he'd have had to remit the judgment to the plaintiff or to the court.

redshirt posted:

Is anything truly "settled law" when the SC can just say "nah" if they want?
If SCOTUS doesn't take up the case then it's absolutely and definitively done. I'll readily take the toxx that SCOTUS has zero interest in touching this matter once the CA2 is done with the appeals on the first trial and the only potentially novel matter (re: civil immunity) is not something they've expressed any interest discussing.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Let’s look at the positives of any multi-millions that Trump will have to pay:

1.) He either actually has that money or he doesn’t, which can shatter his “I’m a rich businessman” image.
2.) If he doesn’t have the money, he’ll have to sell assets, which is most likely going to be any of his few remaining properties that he loves more than his own family.
3.) He will definitely try and steal money to pay these fines, from the GOP, from foundations, from GOP-led states (remember how Florida wants to give him 5 million to fight in court). He will be taking money that is desperately needed by the GOP to do ads, outreach, support, etc. It’ll most likely hurt their chances for election this year.
4.) Trump has millions of supporters, they’re going to donate their hard-earned money to him to help him, and in turn that will affect their personal finances and family relationships. I can totally see a father of a struggling family sending their savings to Trump instead of paying for the mortgage or medical emergency. This will split and cause divides in families.
5.) Trump being declared a “loser” will energize more of the Democratic base to go out and vote, because lets face, it is loving hilarious to see this beach bag of a human being whine like a baby over every loss he gets.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Regardless of whatever damages are awarded, I’m predicting at least one more defamation case, possibly two, before this saga comes to a close. Trump will absolutely lay the groundwork for another trial this very afternoon; he can’t help himself.

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗
Also, no matter what the number is, he's still going to continue defaming her 100%. Because Trump is someone who just can absolutely not shut the gently caress up about personal slights and insults and other imagined injuries.

So like, round 3 when? It's definitely going to happen.

Neat, we samebrained that.

rekko fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 26, 2024

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Stop threatening her and warning her and just do it, drat

It's loving astounding how the courts tip-toe around Trump and his sycophants like they're royalty and criticizing them would be an affront to God, or some poo poo. These people routinely break rules and norms, sometimes blatantly violating laws, and the court system just silently sits by, maybe uttering a "please don't do that again" every so often.

Throw the book at the gently caress, Jesus.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Pajser posted:

this is kind of the best time for him to be fake martyred. the gop keeps their money and gets more fanatics energized for the election.

i wonder if reality could pull off a cadaver synod election debates.

this joke has def already been made, right?

Trump cadaver synod jokes are so old that you could give one a cadaver synod by now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"In the matter of the 72nd trial for defamation, we find that Donald Trump is now the legal property of the Ms. Carroll. This unprecedented ruling follows after Mr. Trump has continued to defame her even after the previous judgments of "All his money" "His fingers are cut off so he can't tweet" "His tongue is removed so he can't speak" and the first ever case of someone being banned from the human omniconsciousness."

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I can totally see a father of a struggling family sending their savings to Trump instead of paying for the mortgage or medical emergency. This will split and cause divides in families.

Sorry no, that won't happen except in MAYBE single digit extreme nutty edge cases.

They are the party of "I GOT MINE." Their identity revolves around selfishness. Trump isn't first on anyone's payee list.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

IIRC he has to put the money up in escrow in order to appeal, so he still has to come up with the cash even if Carroll doesn't get it immediately.

The first case is already under appeal right? If, theoretically, he managed to get that overturned, wouldn't that immediately make this one moot as well?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It'll be funny when he has consecutive defamation suits but each time he has less and less money so his lawyers somehow get shittier every time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

funeral home DJ posted:

It's loving astounding how the courts tip-toe around Trump and his sycophants like they're royalty and criticizing them would be an affront to God, or some poo poo. These people routinely break rules and norms, sometimes blatantly violating laws, and the court system just silently sits by, maybe uttering a "please don't do that again" every so often.

Throw the book at the gently caress, Jesus.

We have been extremely lucky that the judges in his cases thus far have not been full fledged maga chuds. Imagine if each of these cases had been put into the hands of someone like Eileen Cannon? The documents case is basically dead in the water and has been neatly shuffled to “maybe we will get to this after the election”.

They are trying to make sure there is less ability for cannon to gently caress with everything down the road but waiting for this poo poo to wrap up suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Trump will have to pay, but only in the finest of Trump steaks. 30 million steaks.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Aramis posted:

The first case is already under appeal right? If, theoretically, he managed to get that overturned, wouldn't that immediately make this one moot as well?
Yes, in theory. In practice there's very little that's novel here and jury decisions are very hard to overturn. He's already gotten some matters in front of the appellate court and they've been less than impressed when asked to rule on them.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

You chose to be a lawyer for a very presidential criminal

Carroll chose to be in a location, and nothing more. From there, trump raped her and now has been calling her a liar for years

The two are not the same

Man, I am starting to think this Habba lady isn’t a good person

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

posting mid trial

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Silly Burrito posted:

Trump will have to pay, but only in the finest of Trump steaks. 30 million steaks.

Don’t get this escalated to The Hague

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

The trial can never end if he never stops defaming.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I hope they open a 3rd defamation case the minute this one closes.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

rotinaj posted:

You chose to be a lawyer for a very presidential criminal

Carroll chose to be in a location, and nothing more. From there, trump raped her and now has been calling her a liar for years

The two are not the same

Man, I am starting to think this Habba lady isn’t a good person
Complete dipshittery, like pulling out the "but other people were speeding too!" defense after you got ticketed for going 80 in a 65. Lady, if someone defames you, you are in fact allowed to go after them. That has no relevance to anything.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
"Pff, getting death threats from strangers is fine, it's not that big of a deal" is

uh

certainly a take

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I'm starting to entertain myself with the idea that Trump legitimately thought Carroll was his ex-wife Marla Maples the whole time, and actually thinks he's "never met that woman".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay I say the jury comes back after 1 hour.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

kazil posted:

posting mid trial

Jesus gently caress

This has to be purposefully not knowing what the gently caress is going on by this point, just none of that is true

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Accipiter posted:

Sorry no, that won't happen except in MAYBE single digit extreme nutty edge cases.

They are the party of "I GOT MINE." Their identity revolves around selfishness. Trump isn't first on anyone's payee list.

He will just bilk some more boomers with a "donate now and get 900% matching funds!" email. Where the matching funds come in the form of billing them 10 times the amount they think they are pledging.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

kazil posted:

posting mid trial

https://youtu.be/_znElks13UA

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Even if it were the same Habba's point would seem to be that associating with Trump gets you harassed and defamed. Mistrial! The internet is just a bad place and sometimes you get defamed by a former president after he sexually assaults you.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
At what point does Trump get thrown in jail for continuing to defame her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005