Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

How is a fax machine too advanced? I am but a simple minded millennial and have faxed things maybe five times in my life…it seems pretty fixed and not versioned? Was there a Fax 2.0, or a Fa.x or some inane poo poo?

It was pure bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
With Cinco Fax you can only make faxes, you cannot receive them. You'll never again be bothered at work, at your leisure time out on the golf course or on the beach

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Simply dial no times for zero

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Fax with AI

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
an AI that faxes you Bitcoin updates

sup investors

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

teen witch posted:

How is a fax machine too advanced? I am but a simple minded millennial and have faxed things maybe five times in my life…it seems pretty fixed and not versioned? Was there a Fax 2.0, or a Fa.x or some inane poo poo?
Remember being young and watching an old try to do stuff with a computer and everything took. So. Long, like using the menu to copy and paste or dragging the scrollbar with the mouse or spending a minute hunting for that new fangled @ symbol until you just had to walk away even though they technically weren't doing anything incorrect?

What I'm saying is I sympathise with the ADHP fax.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

Remember being young and watching an old try to do stuff with a computer and everything took. So. Long, like using the menu to copy and paste or dragging the scrollbar with the mouse or spending a minute hunting for that new fangled @ symbol until you just had to walk away even though they technically weren't doing anything incorrect?

What I'm saying is I sympathise with the ADHP fax.

I am 32 and witness this drat well near daily.

A significant portion of my job is being on the receiving end of this
https://youtu.be/awnnn23M4FE

Things getting shittier: this is a 7 second video why do I need an advert for something I’ve already forgotten

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
I'm a middle millennial with above-average but not expert computer-touching. I have two zoomer siblings and once watched the two of them sitting in front of the family computer. The older one typed "google.com" into the search bar, then typed "youtube" into the search bar on google. (You could definitely search from address bars by then.)

I about had an aneurysm.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dude gen alpha can't even type. we're inches away from the kid in back to the future aghast at the arcade cabinet where you have to use your hands, like its a baby's toy

by type i mean on a real keyboard, using all their fingers. on a phone with just their thumbs they are face-meltingly fast

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if they have chrome books for school they can type

but they dont capitalize words or use punctuation

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is the young people can't type thing the millennial version of boomers saying young people can't write in cursive??

Hurt generations hurt generations

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
no because basic typing proficiency is still a useful skill at many jobs

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's a whole new weird watching young ppl hunt and peck not because they don't know QWERTY but because they don't know how to use multiple fingers to type

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is the young people can't type thing the millennial version of boomers saying young people can't write in cursive??

I've had jobs where writing in cursive on controlled documents is literally illegal, but never had any where using a keyboard properly is

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

speaking of, my province is making teaching cursive mandatory again for some reason lmfao. my kids ask me if i know how to write cursive and i tell them i guess maybe but i haven't since i was in grade 9 like 20 years ago...

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

i can only speak for myself but to me it's more just that it throws into sharp relief how differently from ours their childhoods have already been. idk if it's good or bad, it's probably neither.

for reference most people currently put the zoomer-alpha transition period as birth years 2010-2013. obviously like any other generational divide that'll be in flux as the kinds of shared experiences that actually define generations take over and distinguish the two

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think it's fine to learn cursive, it trains fine motorics in kids

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Typing is still mandatory in high school.

Who cares if a 10 year old can't type.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

If they can reach the same speed on a smartphone keyboard as "we" can on a normal keyboard, i see no problem in producing a smartphone-shaped touch screen keyboard periferal for desktop computers. If the speeds are identical, in the end it's a matter of preference what you use.

But those don't really exist (not that i'm aware of), so learning to type is still extremely important if you have to crank out any amount of text in a short amount of time. I reckon that in 10 years time there will either be an app to send text to your PC as if it were a bluetooth keyboard, or a 'fixed' device you can use with your pc.

I do wonder what the popularity of such a thing will be. In my country, elementary school kids are still learning to touch type, and in high school having a laptop is mandatory in many schools.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

printed script was a mistake. arabic did it right. just coming up with a movable-type (and later, electronic) script that imitates cursive instead of making up an entirely new kind of script just for the printing press and then making everyone learn to write that hosed up printing press way for no reason

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A lot of my writing is in cursive.

By which I mean I don't voluntarily write many things other than my signature.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
And letters to my wife because she likes handwritten letters and I like her.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

i can only speak for myself but to me it's more just that it throws into sharp relief how differently from ours their childhoods have already been. idk if it's good or bad, it's probably neither.

for reference most people currently put the zoomer-alpha transition period as birth years 2010-2013. obviously like any other generational divide that'll be in flux as the kinds of shared experiences that actually define generations take over and distinguish the two

My niece doesn't really watch TV or movies, and seemingly has no interest. It's all iPad and apps, and there's a lot of that.

I grumble internally, worrying for her future, but also remind myself I would spend hours sitting right in front of the TV for hours, watching pure crap. And I turned out ok, I guess, mostly, sorta....

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My handwriting is pretty bad though so it's a the thought that counts situation.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i take handwritten notes to myself all day at work but there's probably no reason i couldn't type or dictate them on a phone, except work doesn't provide phones for that purpose and like hell i am getting clients' Protected Health Information fuckin anywhere near my personal electronics

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Splicer posted:

My handwriting is pretty bad though so it's a the thought that counts situation.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My handwriting is cursive, print and a series of stabs into the paper. I love typography and yet I’ve been told I have the handwriting of a serial killer.

If the youth can play non-mobile video games, they can probably use a keyboard. I learned how to type through actually using a computer, not from the scant typing classes I had in elementary school.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i feel like me and everyone in my now-mid-thirties peer group learned to type because of AIM

some more than others but there's tons of us that couldnt type for poo poo til AIM blew up

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Cactus Ghost posted:

Nothing wrong with your post, I just want to complain about something.

This arbitrary transition year that totally ignores seminal events really highlights how stupid the current conception of named generations is. Someone whose experience of 2020 was "missed all of third grade" is in the "same" generation as people born right now. Millennials are half people who remember pre-9/11 and pre-internet life, and half people that don't.

Boomers made sense, there was actually a baby boom tied to the end of WW2, and they grew up in a totally changed world paradigm. But then every other generation forward and backward from the boomers is just defined in terms of arbitrary year brackets relative to the boomers.

Basically, it's all about the boomers, no matter how little sense that makes. Like everything else.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

nah genx and millenials absolutely have shared experiences. hell, one of those shared experiences (coming of age near the turn of the millenium) is the reason millenials are no longer called (thank christ) "Generation Y"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cerekk posted:

Nothing wrong with your post, I just want to complain about something.

This arbitrary transition year that totally ignores seminal events really highlights how stupid the current conception of named generations is. Someone whose experience of 2020 was "missed all of third grade" is in the "same" generation as people born right now. Millennials are half people who remember pre-9/11 and pre-internet life, and half people that don't.

Boomers made sense, there was actually a baby boom tied to the end of WW2, and they grew up in a totally changed world paradigm. But then every other generation forward and backward from the boomers is just defined in terms of arbitrary year brackets relative to the boomers.

Basically, it's all about the boomers, no matter how little sense that makes. Like everything else.

Well, wasn't GenX technically the children of the Boomers? I thought that's these generational monikers were supposed to work?

And thus the next generation would be the children of Gen Xers.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cactus Ghost posted:

i feel like me and everyone in my now-mid-thirties peer group learned to type because of AIM

some more than others but there's tons of us that couldnt type for poo poo til AIM blew up

Hey, I learned HTML and CSS from MySpace and various blog platforms.

Though admittedly, I learned most about computers from my very patient Grandpa. I wouldn’t have the skills today, let alone my job, if he didn’t teach me the basics as a kid. He retired before I was born and yet always a teacher :unsmith:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cactus Ghost posted:

i take handwritten notes to myself all day at work but there's probably no reason i couldn't type or dictate them on a phone, except work doesn't provide phones for that purpose and like hell i am getting clients' Protected Health Information fuckin anywhere near my personal electronics
Oh god no that's what a laptop and a bunch of notepad++ tabs are for. Don't put important things on your phone. The only things I have saved on my phone are RPG notes and autofill of my SA login info.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Pretty much but I don't have the excuse of drinking.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Cactus Ghost posted:

nah genx and millenials absolutely have shared experiences. hell, one of those shared experiences (coming of age near the turn of the millenium) is the reason millenials are no longer called (thank christ) "Generation Y"

This is what I'm saying. Millennials born in the 80s have way more in common with gen X than they do with millennials born in the 90s.

redshirt posted:

Well, wasn't GenX technically the children of the Boomers? I thought that's these generational monikers were supposed to work?

And thus the next generation would be the children of Gen Xers.

To include the fact that since Gen X was the first generation that started waiting longer to have kids, so 80s millennials are mostly still children of boomers.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

Oh god no that's what a laptop and a bunch of notepad++ tabs are for. Don't put important things on your phone. The only things I have saved on my phone are RPG notes and autofill of my SA login info.

thats the same problem, with the added handicap of i cant do it while on my feet, and if im going to sit down to type some poo poo i'm just going to use the EHR. client PHI existing on any personal devices is just some poo poo nobody needs in their life. hence, anything that doesn't rise to the level of walking to a workstation sitting down and typing it in is just getting written on some paper in my folding privacy clipboard and tossed in the shredder when im done with it

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 26, 2024

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Printed handwriting is the hunt and peck of handwriting

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Cactus Ghost posted:

printed script was a mistake. arabic did it right. just coming up with a movable-type (and later, electronic) script that imitates cursive instead of making up an entirely new kind of script just for the printing press and then making everyone learn to write that hosed up printing press way for no reason

understanding media: the extensions of man by marshall mcluhan should be required reading for…. well, everybody. it is, of course, far too late to instill media literacy in those that have failed to acquire regular literacy but if you can read, you should read that

boy it sure is fun having my cynical misanthropy vindicated at every turn, the sensation of smug satisfaction definitely outweighs the constant oppressive miasma of this modern hellworld and i am not at all loving depressed hahaha

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
handwriting is the hunt and peck of text-based communication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Writing is the hunt and peck of communication