Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

There's no prosecution, it's a civil defamation trial

My brain is malfunctioning looking for the right word. Claimant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

"What could be more on brand for Donald Trump than malice" is a really good loving line.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 26, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

jokes posted:

I love that she thinks she's being his lawyer-lawyer and this is the Trial Of The Century, and not just trying to mitigate how much money he has to pay.

Also, I'm about 1000x certain he's not going to pay these damages and the sheriff isn't going to knock on his door or whatever lol

between this and the other trial how could he possibly hide them or refuse to do it?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Plaintiff

Senor Big Snacks
Jan 6, 2024

Nocheez posted:

Plaintiff

Edit: beaten

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MoatsArt posted:

Question, will trump be allowed to storm out of the trial to rage tweet during his many upcoming criminal trials?

Depends if the judge thinks it's funny.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

"What could be more on brand for Donald Trump than malice" is a good line.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So the jury has to sit there and sift through all of the objections they've heard and whether they were sustained or overruled, to decide whether or not they can think about them during deliberations? Who could possibly keep all of them straight

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aramis posted:

"What can be more on brand for Donald Trump than malice" is a really good loving line.

Yeah it really is.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

THE FIRST AMENDMENT ALLOWS ME TO NOT FOLLOW TRIAL PROCEDURE, AND FURTHERMORE, BECAUSE I AM NOT COMPETENT, I WILL TAKE AS BIG OF A loving poo poo ON THIS AS I INCOMPETENTLY CAN BECAUSE MY TRUMPY BOY IS GOING TO EXONERATE ME FROM ON HIGH,

Data Graham posted:

So the jury has to sit there and sift through all of the objections they've heard and whether they were sustained or overruled, to decide whether or not they can think about them during deliberations? Who could possibly keep all of them straight

Attrition is undoubtedly part of the strategy. RIP Joey Tacopino, checked his compass and hosed off at the right time.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Data Graham posted:

I think the judge will instruct them before deliberating basically a big list of things that can’t be used as part of their decision. It will mostly be him telling them to ignore everything haba said.

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗

Aramis posted:

"What could be more on brand for Donald Trump than malice" is a really good loving line.

Yeah but it's also probably going to be embraced by people too dense to realize that means they're the baddies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Data Graham posted:

you basically can't weigh anything habba said

there, you're caught up

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

lmao "alright, which one of you idiots wants to be dunked on? you? okay, shut up"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NoiseAnnoys posted:

between this and the other trial how could he possibly hide them or refuse to do it?

It's actually quite difficult to collect a judgment if the defendant tries to avoid paying it. Send the sheriff to collect, garnish wages, levy bank accounts, there's lots of OPTIONS but this is Trump and a lot of legal poo poo is based on the honor code and he's going to try and delay it until after the election anyways. The penalty is usually like 5-10% interest a year or whatever for not paying and Trump doesn't give a gently caress about that

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

jokes posted:

I love that she thinks she's being his lawyer-lawyer and this is the Trial Of The Century, and not just trying to mitigate how much money he has to pay.

Also, I'm about 1000x certain he's not going to pay these damages and the sheriff isn't going to knock on his door or whatever lol
He's going to demand to appeal this one to and like the last time Judge Kaplan's gonna be "cash or check" before he hands the mandate to the appellate court.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

god this has to be some kind of record

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kazil posted:

lol found another one

loving highlighter haired bastard.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
lol sidebar during closing statements and rebuttals.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vire posted:

lmfao

this should be what twitter is for, live-tweeting highlights from basically courtTV litigation. not nazi poo poo

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder how much of Habba & Trump's antics are getting through to the jury? Like what a juror who isn't terminally Online, has never followed a trial before, and just knows Trump as the rich guy from TV who lost the last election is thinking during all of this.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vire posted:

sometimes the ukraine thread and this thread overlap and in this case i am thinking of the UA soldier who mugged for the camera and said "we are very lucky they[the russians] are so loving stupid"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

withak posted:

I how much of Habba & Trump's antics are getting through to the jury? Like what a juror who has never been at a trial before and just knows Trump as the rich guy from TV who lost the last election is thinking during all of this.

Generally jurors just join with the vibe/feelings of the judge, as the judge largely has the jury on a leash anyways. if the judge is pissed at you, there's about a 99.999999999% chance the jury is also pissed at you, because they took the cue from the judge. the judge can also amend/reverse their ruling in state court

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

jokes posted:

It's actually quite difficult to collect a judgment if the defendant tries to avoid paying it. Send the sheriff to collect, garnish wages, levy bank accounts, there's lots of OPTIONS but this is Trump and a lot of legal poo poo is based on the honor code and he's going to try and delay it until after the election anyways. The penalty is usually like 5-10% interest a year or whatever for not paying and Trump doesn't give a gently caress about that

couldn’t caroll put a lien on some Trump properties especially if he has to liquidate assets to pay for other judgements?

also hadn’t even thought that Trump is probably gonna try to double or nothing this into an absurd amount of money with an appeal, lol.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

This is so bad for Trump.

It rules.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Lazyfire posted:

I've heard a lot of theories on why THE MARINES is a whole thing (not the sub-branch of the military, the culture around it). The one I buy into is that pretty much from the Spanish-American War to the invasion of Iraq the Marines were the first ones in, so they got the most stories about them which translated into books and movies being made about the Marines heroically facing enemy fire because holding a position long term is the Army's job and that poo poo is boring even if they get shot at more. So pop culture tells you that the REAL soldiers are the Marines and they are the elites and can't fail. Tom Lehrer had a song about them being the way the US projects force in the world and that view hasn't really changed in the last 60 years. "He was a Marine" or some variation of (usually "He IS a Marine, soldier!") is shorthand for a character being a badass. There are several movie series where the entire concept is a Marine does poo poo no one else could against the odds. Sniper, Shooter and the very on the nose The Marine all feature main characters who are just amazing because the Marines made them that way.

The idea is that the Marines are a special thing and so people who were in the Marines obsess about how cool it is that they were a Marine. I have a number of friends who were in the Army and Air Force and they're nowhere near as obsessed about having been in those branches. Not saying all Marines are like that, but I don't see stickers on the back windows of pickup trucks letting me know the owner was a Ranger or whatever.

yeah, that’s how you get morons to sign up to be the navy’s meat shields

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

This is so bad for Trump.

It rules.

but have you considered it is also bad for biden

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NoiseAnnoys posted:

couldn’t caroll put a lien on some Trump properties especially if he has to liquidate assets to pay for other judgements?

yeah, but which property? the one worth $2.5bn (or MORE)????

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

jokes posted:

yeah, but which property? the one worth $2.5bn (or MORE)????

lol if he has to sell Mar a largo and give carroll a chunk of the change, it’s going to actually kill him

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I hate how the primaries work, by the time it gets to PA it's pretty much over and I have never got to pick who I wanted. Why don't they just do it all on the same damned day?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Team Trump finally (sorta) wins one!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I thought they were done with the jibba jabber yesterday and today was purely jury deliberating how many billions Trmp owes

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol if he has to sell Mar a largo and give carroll a chunk of the change, it’s going to actually kill him

Also, no matter what these properties are worth, there is no way in hell they aren't leveraged to hell and back, so this could snowball out of control real quick.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Philthy posted:

I thought they were done with the jibba jabber yesterday and today was purely jury deliberating how many billions Trmp owes

these are closing arguments and deliberations begin afterwards

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Toxic Mental posted:

I’ve never read it, why were people opting for suicide?

Without spoiling the whole story: The idea is that they made a one way trip to a distant star and once they got what they needed off the trip they would send back automated probes, but wouldn't have enough fuel to send their ship back to Earth, so the crew was destined to die and each was asked how they would like to go. The American decided on Nitrogen, the Russian on a heroin overdose and the Chinese guy went with shooting himself in the head, assuming that he would need to put the other two out of their misery if their methods didn't work. Worth a read, but the audiobook feels like the right space for the writing style as Weir's books are more conversational/explanatory than most first person narratives. Artemis works better when Rosario Dawson reads it than when you do as well.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Trump should have chosen an attorney with a solid track record of winning high-profile, difficult cases instead of someone he simply likes to look at but there is a 0% chance that that old dummy has learned that lesson at all.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lmao they are using Trump storming out earlier against him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

post itt every time malice couldn't be more on brand for trump

lol