Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
im officially giving everyone reading this thread permission to watch the royal rumble, if you want
enjoy it. free of charge
ill revoke it if i see u being a little bitch ab it, tho. and the other non wwe fans here are very likely not to give it to u, so dont look a gift horse in the mouth :nono:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Fucker posted:

im officially giving everyone reading this thread permission to watch the royal rumble, if you want
enjoy it. free of charge
ill revoke it if i see u being a little bitch ab it, tho. and the other non wwe fans here are very likely not to give it to u, so dont look a gift horse in the mouth :nono:

I wasn't going to watch it anyway, please revoke.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm also disgusted with people like Cena, Undertaker, Foley, etc. Legends who have been stone silent for the last 24+ hours.

Foley especially, because he's done a lot of volunteer work for RAINN in the past.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

On The Internet posted:

Not enough people are thinking of CM Punk. If WWE dies because it's full of monsters and monster sympathizers will he have to go back to getting his nuts smashed by Satoshi Kojima???? Is that fair to the ol Punker?

Vince and CM Punk will never go hungry because they are welcome to eat my entire rear end.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm also disgusted with people like Cena, Undertaker, Foley, etc. Legends who have been stone silent for the last 24+ hours.

Foley especially, because he's done a lot of volunteer work for RAINN in the past.

Hate to say it but Foley was only ever worried about rape outside of the fed because he needed to make sure he'd always have a job in the future.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Foley gotta stay quiet so his talentless kids still have a shot to work for the Fed again someday.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

TheKingslayer posted:

Vince and CM Punk will never go hungry because they are welcome to eat my entire rear end.

CM Punk and Vince confirmed for the KISS MY rear end CLUB!

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

reminder that in march 2023, almost a full year after everything came out, and after he had already went out for vince's birthday celebration, john cena said "we all make mistakes" when asked about vince

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1227251/john-cena-on-vince-mcmahon-allegations-we-all-make-mistakes/

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Edit: misread

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Cena and Taker were never going to say anything, but yeah, Foley hurts.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Fucker posted:

enjoy it. free of charge

Work with a guy who was getting his rumble watch party ready and has been talking about it all week. Can't imagine he's taken the news well

Not much to add to what everyone's already said but it's just unbelievably grim

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

reminder that in march 2023, almost a full year after everything came out, and after he had already went out for vince's birthday celebration, john cena said "we all make mistakes" when asked about vince

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1227251/john-cena-on-vince-mcmahon-allegations-we-all-make-mistakes/

John Cena said 'pobodys nerfect'

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Maybe it's naive of me but I want to give Foley some time to make a statement. He hasn't been as overtly My Buddy Vince as someone like Taker or Cena, and I don't think it helps to paint people as hypocrites for not immediately speaking up about a situation that is this horrific when they have their own set of legal hurdles they likely have to work through, considering the contracts he's been under. I very much doubt considering his checkered past with Vince that he's ignorant nor would he be a defender, and he's someone with enough connections that he has little to lose, but when someone you're close in any way with is without a shadow of a doubt shown to be so much more horrifying on this level than was expected it can take time to formulate the right thoughts. I can only hope he's working on something with RAINN as well.

If he lets me down he lets me down :shrug: The news broke one day ago and while I know things have been moving fast it is still important to remember that.

Would be nice to get a big "gently caress 'em" post from him though, I won't lie. Because, well, gently caress 'em.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

What, Cena hasn't posted some milquetoast quote about perseverance from a $50 inspirational coffee table book?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

the stamford newspaper doesn't have the lawsuit as a main story on its home page with a pic, headline, etc but it does have "the rock takes picture with local kid outside wwe headquarters."

it does have a story that doesn't go into the worst of the accusations but does mention vince greeted the victim while he was in his underwear (??). that story isn't in the top 7 most popular stories, but the rock one is lol.

i guess stamford really is a company town

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Maybe it's naive of me but I want to give Foley some time to make a statement. He hasn't been as overtly My Buddy Vince as someone like Taker or Cena, and I don't think it helps to paint people as hypocrites for not immediately speaking up about a situation that is this horrific when they have their own set of legal hurdles they likely have to work through, considering the contracts he's been under. I very much doubt considering his checkered past with Vince that he's ignorant nor would he be a defender, and he's someone with enough connections that he has little to lose, but when someone you're close in any way with is without a shadow of a doubt shown to be so much more horrifying on this level than was expected it can take time to formulate the right thoughts. I can only hope he's working on something with RAINN as well.

If he lets me down he lets me down :shrug: The news broke one day ago and while I know things have been moving fast it is still important to remember that.

Would be nice to get a big "gently caress 'em" post from him though, I won't lie. Because, well, gently caress 'em.

He's appeared on WWE television as recently as November and sent two of his kids to work for Vince.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Well, at least they'll get punished where it counts, like the Rumble, which is... the biggest gate in non-mania history and still selling tickets at a premium

Hey, maybe there will be a halfhearted chant that gets muted, or a pulled sign?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Man this loving sucks. Rumble night was a big night for our friends group where all of the dads/moms/idiots found one of two times a year to always get together for 15-16 years running. Obviously I'm out on it this year, gonna stay home and knit and watch the last Hercule Poirot movie with my wife, but when I mentioned it to our group chat...

"well Vince has onthing to do with the WWE anymore sooooo"
"I just don't get why the woman didn't just quit her job and report it... why wait until you find out $2mil of your 3mil hush money isn't coming"
"did Vince eat corn before he did it?" <- this text has like, five heart/laughing reacts to it

idk. I'm tired. I have lovely old friends apparently.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
haven't watched wrestling in many years but last i remember of mick foley was him being kind of a creep? if i remember right his second or third book was full of odd, creepy stuff?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I'd hope like Cena wasn't aware of all this and will say something. But pretty much anyone who was an exec or around for that long has a lot of doubt cast on them if they say they didn't know about this.

My one personal experience with Foley was at a comic convention where he was signing his book. But he was spending most of his time talking to and ogling the attractive actress that was set up next to his table and pretty much ignoring everyone else. It also caused him to not give change to this mother and daughter in front of me who paid him to sign his book and they dejectedly walked away since they couldn't get his attention. That experience really made me think he's kind of creepy and I haven't been a big fan since

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 26, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He's appeared on WWE television as recently as November and sent two of his kids to work for Vince.

:sigh:

Well, my hopes are rock bottom then.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zoobtro posted:

haven't watched wrestling in many years but last i remember of mick foley was him being kind of a creep? if i remember right his second or third book was full of odd, creepy stuff?

I read his second book and while there was a lot of juvenile humor in it (mainly mutual interactions with his friends like Al Snow and Edge) I didn't think there was anything creepy.

I haven't read the book he wrote when he was in TNA though

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Honesty, with the amount of concussions Foley has, he probably doesn’t even remember most of his time there- outside of the big “moments” which he’s talked about daily for 25 years

edit: it’s not a excuse for him, just pointing out

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

:sigh:

Well, my hopes are rock bottom then.

If he hasn't mentioned anything by the time his new podcast episode drops next week Friday, he's not going to say anything.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Foley's third book is basically a stalker love letter to Melina

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Zoobtro posted:

His third book talked about his friendly relationships with the Divas, who according to him all liked him. The creepy stuff mostly stems from a situation where he talked about sharing a sandwich with someone, I think Melina but it's been a while, and it reflected something he had written in one of his novels about using a sandwich as an Indirect Kiss. It was juvenile and sold as a funny story between himself and whoever it was, but it comes off as definitely trying to seem cool to the imaginary horny teenager reading The Hardcore Diaries looking for the secret life of their favorite WWE Diva™.

There's a lot of I'm Good Old Safe Uncle Mick stuff in there which is always a sus thing. I don't remember it being as gross as some do, but it was formative in my early fandom because of the peek behind the curtain it gave me and it's been a very long time since I've read it, and I certainly haven't revisited it as an adult lately.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 26, 2024

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It’d be nice if some wrestlers and crew/staff had the guts to not show up to the rumble in protest. I’m expecting nothing from anybody, though, and for everything to go on like normal.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

I read his second book and while there was a lot of juvenile humor in it (mainly mutual interactions with his friends like Al Snow and Edge) I didn't think there was anything creepy.

I haven't read the book he wrote when he was in TNA though

i definitely remember thinking mick was maybe not "one of the good guys" anymore. he was creeping on the women a lot. i think it was melina in particular or maybe i'm misremembering? i'll shut up if there's nothing to this.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

We've talked about how there's no ethical consumption under capitalism.
But it's also pretty hard to have ethical employment under capitalism.
It's sad and it sucks. I don't know what else to say about it.

Zoobtro posted:

i definitely remember thinking mick was maybe not "one of the good guys" anymore. he was creeping on the women a lot. i think it was melina in particular or maybe i'm misremembering? i'll shut up if there's nothing to this.

It was Melina and he definitely came off as a little creepy towards her. Not in a 'cancel this motherfucker' kind of way but in a 'this isn't great behavior Mick' sort of way.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

His third book talked about his friendly relationships with the Divas, who according to him all liked him. The creepy stuff mostly stems from a situation where he talked about sharing a sandwich with someone, I think Melina but it's been a while, and it reflected something he had written in one of his novels about using a sandwich as an Indirect Kiss. It was juvenile and sold as a funny story between himself and whoever it was, but it comes off as definitely trying to seem cool to the imaginary horny teenager reading The Hardcore Diaries looking for the secret life of their favorite WWE Diva™.

There's a lot of I'm Good Old Safe Uncle Mick stuff in there which is always a sus thing. I don't think it's as gross as some do, but it was formative in my early fandom because of the peek behind the curtain it gave me and it's been a very long time since I've read it, and I certainly haven't revisited it as an adult lately.

ah there we go. maybe it wasn't as bad as i remember.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

the sex ghost posted:

Work with a guy who was getting his rumble watch party ready and has been talking about it all week. Can't imagine he's taken the news well

Not much to add to what everyone's already said but it's just unbelievably grim

I had to explain this poo poo to my team today. None of them are big wrestling guys and I don't think this has made the news in Finland at all, but they know me as the wrestling dude and one of them had heard something about Vince, so we had a 10 minute discussion about why Vince is a massive piece of poo poo, which involved some googling because a couple of them wouldn't believe half of the poo poo.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Omnikin posted:

Man this loving sucks. Rumble night was a big night for our friends group where all of the dads/moms/idiots found one of two times a year to always get together for 15-16 years running. Obviously I'm out on it this year, gonna stay home and knit and watch the last Hercule Poirot movie with my wife, but when I mentioned it to our group chat...

"well Vince has onthing to do with the WWE anymore sooooo"
"I just don't get why the woman didn't just quit her job and report it... why wait until you find out $2mil of your 3mil hush money isn't coming"
"did Vince eat corn before he did it?" <- this text has like, five heart/laughing reacts to it

idk. I'm tired. I have lovely old friends apparently.

People are flippant about this stuff because it is low brow entertainment with zero stakes, and that leeches into their perception. Also wrestling fans are the type to have never progressed past 6th grade. I don't really care if people watch the Rumble or the WWE product as a whole, no ethical consumption in capitalism and etc. I personally am not 1) because I don't watch WWE and 2) I have things to do. If you have been doing this for years knowing who Vince is, what is the difference ultimately? It's just entertainment.

I still expect nothing to really come of this until proven otherwise. Dana slapping his wife in public on video was more visceral and he skated. Vince backed down once but he will not do it again. It'd have to be by force.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That complaint is loving insane. Multiple people should be in jail because of this. And we know that this was just one hush money payment of many. It's sickening.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Think people need to be mentally preparing themselves for the fact that a LOT of wrestlers/wrestling figures that they really loved/respected are gonna turn out to have either actively participated in this poo poo or at the very least knew it was happening and didn't care.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dave has mentioned or intimated multiple times over the years that Foley may have some sort of rep/history, but has not mentioned anything particular. This was his reaction to Foley inducting Stacy, for example

"Because Mick is such a big fan of the women's wrestlers, it almost like comes off..it's like he's too big of a fan, you know what I mean? It's like its...I don't know how to explain it but I don't think too many people will disagree with me on this one either. There's like a line, like you can be supportive but it's just like...[groans] I don't know. It's, it's...I don't want to say "creepy," that's too strong of a word but there is a word there that I can't come up with right on the spur of the moment. It's not smooth to watch. I'll just say that. There's something about it that's not quite...I don't know."

Does dave have a receipt? Who knows. But he seems to at least have a price tag.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

JethroMcB posted:

What, Cena hasn't posted some milquetoast quote about perseverance from a $50 inspirational coffee table book?

It wouldn’t shock me one bit if Cena deliberately went out of his way to never ever know what was going on so that when he says he didn’t know the scope he’s technically telling the truth. Cena ain’t stupid.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

UnleashedDad posted:

I personally am not 1) because I don't watch WWE and 2) I have things to do. If you have been doing this for years knowing who Vince is, what is the difference ultimately? It's just entertainment.

I guess I never looked too deeply? I'm part of the complicity problem, I suppose. But now that it's actively flying right in our faces, holy poo poo something has to change.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

projecthalaxy posted:

Dave has mentioned or intimated multiple times over the years that Foley may have some sort of rep/history, but has not mentioned anything particular. This was his reaction to Foley inducting Stacy, for example

"Because Mick is such a big fan of the women's wrestlers, it almost like comes off..it's like he's too big of a fan, you know what I mean? It's like its...I don't know how to explain it but I don't think too many people will disagree with me on this one either. There's like a line, like you can be supportive but it's just like...[groans] I don't know. It's, it's...I don't want to say "creepy," that's too strong of a word but there is a word there that I can't come up with right on the spur of the moment. It's not smooth to watch. I'll just say that. There's something about it that's not quite...I don't know."

Does dave have a receipt? Who knows. But he seems to at least have a price tag.

I mean, one of Foley’s books was one big Nice Guy message to Melina so…

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I help host a Royal Rumble party every year at my friends bar. It’s the only time we ever watch WWE anymore, but now we might just cancel the whole thing.

Also, there’s a lot of people using Triple HGH not being named as an excuse to still watch the fed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Drakkel posted:

Think people need to be mentally preparing themselves for the fact that a LOT of wrestlers/wrestling figures that they really loved/respected are gonna turn out to have either actively participated in this poo poo or at the very least knew it was happening and didn't care.

It's often been said in this subforum that (until proven otherwise), it's easier to just accept that almost every single pro wrestler is, at best, a horribly broken person; and at worst, a gigantic piece of poo poo.