Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh. Well the whole judge not and log in thine own eye stuff is still in there right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hughlander posted:

AITA for kicking my brother and his family out after he tried to give me a whore-a-vention

Un-Christian behaviour: helping the poor, the gambler, the addict, the criminal*, housing the unhoused, supporting family

Christian behaviour: copious judging and ingratitude; stating "I am a Christian"

Hmmmmm

*this still counts even though it's all the same guy

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh. Well the whole judge not and log in thine own eye stuff is still in there right?

It is but Evangelicals Are Now Rejecting 'Liberal' Teachings of Jesus

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

the holy poopacy posted:

There needs to be like a twelve syllable German word for the psychological impulse people have to hold people in contempt for stooping to help them.

Narzisstische Persönlichkeitsstörung

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

"That doesn't work anymore," because the world was so much softer 2,000 years ago.

Also I love how they're literalists when it comes to someone being 851 years old and Noah finding a way to get penguins and sloths and stuff on his boat, but the small smattering of decent stuff in there, nah we know better than Jesus.

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I think int-whore-vention works better. At the least, whore-tervention.

Yes, a Whore-a-vention would have stands and an entry fee.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I could easily get penguins and sloths on a boat

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Peg Sliderskew posted:

Yes, a Whore-a-vention would have stands and an entry fee.

Do you sell tickets online, or...?

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I could easily get penguins and sloths on a boat

Put them on a PIP if they don't

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Biplane posted:

Do you sell tickets online, or...?

I think only fans can get in.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Nocheez posted:

This somehow feels like prostitution with more steps.

Oooh, somebody's gonna get laid in college!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WIBTA for not getting BF a birthday gift, because he asked me to pay off his car or buy him a 2nd car?

quote:

Boyfriend has had 4 cars in the 2 years I've known him. 1 was totaled in an accident, but the others he just gets sick of and trades in. Every time there is negative equity, even though once I helped pay 6k of it, so now he is 12k underwater on the current car, which is a brand not known for reliability, so it's always needing expensive maintenance.

He found out by accident after we started dating that I am wealthy. It is all saved and invested so that it can keep growing for me, but he could tell by my house. I drive a car worth only about 6k.

Since he found this out, he keeps asking if I would "consider" paying off the 22k loan on his current car, of which 12k is underwater. He also keeps mentioning that he wants to put Apple Carplay in it for another $600, which I think is ridiculous since it already has phone-connected music, just not Carplay.

I already gifted him Carplay for one of the previous cars, so it's annoying to be asked for it on the next one.

Then yesterday he mentioned again that he'd like "help" buying a second vehicle, a truck to drive to & from work so that he doesn't put miles on the current car. He's mentioned this several times, but then yesterday he texted me links to some listings.

His birthday is coming up, and he worked down a list of asks, first if I'd pay off the current one which I said no, then if I'd help with a truck, then if I'd get him Carplay for his birthday. I said it creeped me out being asked for specific gifts, I've never had someone REQUEST a specific gift for a holiday or birthday, let alone a car. Then he brought up a sportbike because "they're cheap."

I feel like not getting him anything for his birthday because of this, or only taking him out to dinner and that's all.

EDITED TO ADD: (because someone asked me to add it to the original post) He makes $65k and has no dependents.

Before you start mocking the BF for doing the money gesture for $22K and/or a new vehicle, it may be worth considering what else he brings to the relationship

Constant neediness and pestering OP while they're trying to work, OP has found themselves a toddler with a new car addiction

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

WIBTA for not getting BF a birthday gift, because he asked me to pay off his car or buy him a 2nd car?

Before you start mocking the BF for doing the money gesture for $22K and/or a new vehicle, it may be worth considering what else he brings to the relationship

Constant neediness and pestering OP while they're trying to work, OP has found themselves a toddler with a new car addiction

Is there no rule whatsoever that people have to lay out some reason they actually like the person they are posting about

Because I feel like some of these really need the victim to tell us what in the world they were drawn to the person by

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I guess magic dicks are a lot more common then I previously thought

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

idiotsavant posted:

As someone with a magic dick (can cast disgust at will) that makes me feel less special.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Is there no rule whatsoever that people have to lay out some reason they actually like the person they are posting about

Because I feel like some of these really need the victim to tell us what in the world they were drawn to the person by

Their own crippling fear of being alone.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Inceltown posted:

As someone with a magic dick (can cast disgust at will) that makes me feel less special.

I need a short rest for mine

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

rotinaj posted:

Been saying this for years, I should've applied when they were looking for AITA mods so I could add this into the judgment bot's required response

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
She should give herself the gift of not having to deal with his poo poo anymore.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Fezz posted:

She should give herself the gift of not having to deal with his poo poo anymore.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

AITA for letting my SIL think she gave her kids Irish names?

quote:

My SIL has been a little obsessive over me and my Irishness since we met 7 years ago. I was dating my husband at the time and she loved my accent, said she loved my name (Cáit) and was so excited to have someone Irish in the family. She asked me loads of questions and raved about any mentions I made of growing up in Ireland. Right after my husband and I got engaged SIL asked me if I was going to give my kids Irish names and I said we hadn't discussed it enough yet. She asked if I would like to and I said I would like to incorporate Irish names in there somewhere. A few months later she announced she was pregnant and had decided to name her daughter Neve because it's Irish! She says the name like Neve Campbell and not like Niamh (neev) the actual Irish name. We had clashed a little a couple of months before that because she couldn't believe that I only knew people with Irish spellings of Irish names and not the anglicized versions of names. Her second child she decided to name Ashley and not Aisling/Ashling/Aishling which is Irish. Again she claimed the name was Irish but I said nothing because I honestly don't think it's worth the fight.

She went on holiday to Ireland over the Christmas holidays and came back fuming. Apparently she got corrected while she was there and bragging about her kids Irish names. This came after people used the Irish pronunciations and she corrected them. They then told her the names she gave them were not Irish.

SIL is mad I never told her and she's mad I called her kids by their names vs the Irish versions. She told me I made a fool out of her. I pointed out she argued with me about names before she told me the name for her first and she corrected me on Irish names so I wasn't going to fight her on names again. She told me it made her and her kids look dumb and only her husband stayed out of it.

My husband told her she was being ridiculous and told her I stayed out of something that was none of my business. Her parents also told her she was being unreasonable. But she is adamant I am wrong and I do feel like I could have been a little bit more helpful and tried one time.

AITA?

If the SiL had given her kids names like Ashley instead of Aisling because she didn't want them going through life having people mangle their names, she would've been forward-thinking (and they wouldn't be irish names anymore regardless), but just lol if this is at all a real story.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Courtesy of my new favorite subreddit, r/amitheex

Told my wife (F35) that she couldn’t do it without me (M34). Turns out she can.

quote:

I made one stupid selfish comment to my wife a week or so ago and now my life is in disarray.

My wife is in some crisis. Her work is closed and she’s being paid, but she’s home with our kids now, including one 3 year old. She gets breaks on Monday and Friday with childcare. We went into having kids knowing she wanted to be a working mother. So this has been an adjustment… to say the least.

Onto the OG fight. She spent a long day with our kids and the neighboring kids, and when I came upstairs from work and she asked for a break, I didn’t respond well. I made excuses and didn’t offer help and for the first time in years my wife lost her temper and cursed at me.

Like an idiot I dug in and thought I was right. I admit we both said some unkind things. But after reddit humbled me and she made me sit down and write a list of things I did for the family that day and compared it with her… longer list, I apologized. She accepted and I figured things would go back to normal.

They haven’t. My wife used to include me in parenting our kids. I did dance pick up most weeks and bedtime was split. I gave baths. Made dinner. All the stuff. Since our fight, my wife hasn’t asked me for any help with the kids. The first morning I woke up on what was supposed to be my morning with the kids, I figured she was just being nice or trying to prove a point but it keeps happening. She didn’t even send them down to say good night last night. Normally my wife does this silly game where she sends my son to ask me to read 5 books and then we would negotiate down to 1 or 2 and race upstairs. Last night I heard her racing him and came up to find her doing bedtime yet again. The kids haven’t even noticed. It’s like she’s replacing me.

When we were fighting I said something really really dumb that’s living inside me and festering. My wife was being nasty and said “you wouldn’t see the kids a quarter as much as you do if I didn’t arrange it and I’m done managing you.” I defended myself, I’m not an absent parent- and said something along the lines of “I’d like to see how long you can manage without me.”

Consider my foot officially in my mouth.

She’s started running again. She’s cooking really healthy and often. Every night I come home to my perfectly happy stepford wife, doing it all without me and I feel empty inside.

How do I fix this? I don’t even know where to begin… at this point I want to beg her to go back to how things were. This wasn’t what we agreed on.

Edit: gently caress guys I get it. I’m a piece of poo poo. I’m going to make this right.
LOL, wifey has checked completely out of her marriage to her useless lump of a husband, and is already exercising and dieting in preparation for re-entering the dating scene, and the lump is like "how can I make this go back to the way things were, this wasn't what we agreed on"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

LOL, wifey has checked completely out of her marriage to her useless lump of a husband, and is already exercising and dieting in preparation for re-entering the dating scene, and the lump is like "how can I make this go back to the way things were, this wasn't what we agreed on"

something about these stories that is always telling on the OP is how they think that it's all because of one single incident and not essentially a massive build up of issues and problems.

If I had to guess he made a comment like "I work for a living, you get a break every single day" or some snipe about how she's getting paid to laze around and doing nothing.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

This reminds me of something that happened shortly after my small hometown got internet access. Maybe a year after we got it, a local woman with the world’s shittiest husband and two absolute dipshit kids starting power walking every night. You’d see her out there just hauling rear end. After maybe four months she was obviously in much better shape, and was really taking great care of herself. Everybody was like “wow she’s decided to do it for herself, that’s amazing” and then maybe a month later whoops turns out she’d met a guy off the internet, went ham getting herself and her life figured out, and had left her worthless husband and two high school age children for him. Whole town was astonished like “you can do that?!”

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The Bramble posted:

I need a short rest for mine

Is that with the gritty realism optional rules where a short rest is over night?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

idiotsavant posted:

My magic dick keeps on disappearing, I blame it on the cold.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

“you wouldn’t see the kids a quarter as much as you do if I didn’t arrange it and I’m done managing you.”

And when she stops arranging it, he stops seeing the kids, that's interesting. Funny how all of his examples are "here's how my wife initiates me interacting with my children, somehow I can't figure out how to do it on my own without her."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru posted:

This got an update.

quote:

Edit 2: thank you to the handful of people that reached out with advice. Believe it or not, I do want to be a good father and husband. I’ve royally hosed up and I see that and fully admit it. This is going to be my only edit and then I’m going to get off my phone for a while and focus my attention on my family. My wife had dinner cooked when I got home. Everything is fine between us so there wasn’t any tension. After we cleaned up I went upstairs and ran my wife a bath, put Taylor swift on her Alexa and lit a few candles. I told her to go relax upstairs for the night. She was surprised but smiled and went on her way. I’m currently on the toilet watching my kids take a bathe. People mentioned love bombing etc. but I’m just trying anything I can to show her I do appreciate and love her and our family and I want to be a present father. I’m going to do bedtime tonight and probably all next week. I’ll tell her she does so much during the day and deserves the break because it’s the truth. I get that I come off as an rear end in a top hat. I grew up in a not great situation and didn’t have the best role models growing up. I’m terrified of my children not having enough and I overcompensate by working too much. This new job came with a big pay increase but the hours are longer and I feel like I can never keep up. I’ve reached out to a few recruiters tonight. I used to love my job and was always home by 4:30. Even if it means taking the lost income, I’m thinking about going back.

Relationships are hard. And humans aren’t perfect. For all the people telling me my kids don’t love me and I’m a waste of space, idk guys, just remember I’m an actual person. That shits rough. Anyways that’s all I have for you folks. I need to watch these kiddos and start planning out my long road of groveling and reconnecting. Thanks all!
I'll give dude credit for acknowledging the First Law Of Holes ("If you find yourself in one, stop digging") which so few of the exhibits in this thread manage to do. Best of luck to him, I guess.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quantumwell posted:

My magic dick keeps on disappearing, I blame it on the cold.

Take a short rest (long rest if you're a wizard)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Sagebrush posted:

I'm paying for a seat that reclines three inches and I'm gonna use all three of them. If you put your knees up against the back to try to stop me I'm gonna shake the seat right after they serve your drink. This is the law of the sky.

:hmmyes:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Captain Hygiene posted:

idiotsavant posted:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TIFU by watching a cruise ship video around step kids

quote:

I have 2 tween step kids and they normally don’t pay any attention to anything I watch. I even tried showing them a ship tour video of the cruise we’re taking later this year and they had absolutely no interest.

Yesterday I started watching a ship tour video of a brand new ship that recently debuted. I was planning to book a cruise on it next year for my husband and I. We didn’t have much of a honeymoon because of Covid and figured this would be a nice treat for us. It’s an expensive ship to cruise on, so we would get a lower end room and a drink package.

I put the video on while the kids were busy with their electronics to see if the ship is a good option for us. Within about 5 minutes of the video, THE KIDS PUT THEIR PHONES DOWN!!! They are enamored with this ship as well and actually paying attention to the video. I’m internally thinking “oh poo poo” as I see their expressions.

I asked them at dinner how mad would they be if we went without them. To put it mildly, they would be very very upset.

We weren’t planning on taking them. It becomes almost twice the price and we can’t fully relax. All four of us would be in one room. I wouldn’t be able to afford the drink package because we would have to get them the non-alcoholic one as well. We couldn’t do the chefs table dinner. We couldn’t do the private island club because they would be bored and it would be too expensive for 4 of us.

I love the kids, but getting them to do anything is a battle and makes planning anything difficult. When we try to get them to do something, it’s always “I don’t know” or just straight “no”. The oldest told us “I don’t want to do any excursions ever at all”. We wouldn’t be able to just wonder the ship on our own doing what we want when we want because we have to be with them. They are still too young to let run around on their own. Teen and kid clubs only last so long. We couldn’t stay up late looking at the night sky having a cocktail because they would want to be in bed and would get anxious if left alone in the room. I would have to share my husband’s time, and he would be stressed trying to have dedicated time with all of us. We don’t like to drink in front of the kids (my husband especially), so we can’t have casual cocktails just because.

Now we are in a position where they will be pissed if we go without them, but we won’t fully enjoy it if they do.

This person deserves their kids.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
drat dude sucks you have to account for your kids when planning a vacation

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Space Kablooey posted:

Cheese pizza is lame and boring though

Agreed.

But hectoring a 40 year old about their boring and lame tastes for years is worse. (Especially when you have form in running away from an italian restaurant for not having anything on the menu that you particularly find familiar or delicious.)

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Dear Prudence,

My wonderful husband of 15 years stopped using soap about five years ago. I am all for body autonomy, but this is seriously impacting my ability to get close to him. I used to love the way he smelled and would bury my nose in his neck. It was one of the things that really turned me on about him, but about four to five years ago, he stopped using soap after reading something about how it can disrupt a body’s natural microbiome or something to that effect. The result is that his skin now feels a bit oily and he constantly smells of low-grade body odor. It’s only noticeable when you get really close to him, but I’m the person that gets close to him. He showers every day and is a generally clean person, but I’m starting to get grossed out and don’t enjoy our skin-on-skin contact anymore. I love him more than anything and do not want to hurt his feelings, but I would really like him to use soap again. Bare minimum, wash his armpits. Any suggestions?

—Missing His Scent

quote:

Jenée Desmond-Harris: So stinky spouse questions come up pretty regularly for me. I wouldn’t say they’re a huge theme, but this is really familiar to me. A lot of people think their spouse stinks, and I always say when I get these, it’s so interesting because I know there are relationships in which someone could say, “Oh my God, you stink. The no soap thing isn’t working. Take a shower.” And there are relationships in which that would feel impossible and it would feel so mean and cause someone to spiral and feel so hurt. The letter writer would not have written to us if she felt like she could say, “Please bring the soap back. I’m getting an odor. Can you just handle that?” So it’s obviously a very sensitive issue, right?

Cheryl Strayed: Yes. And I think she absolutely has to do that. I think she has to say, not, “You stink,” but “Hey, I understand your concerns about soap, but I’ve just noticed that since you stopped using soap, there’s this odor that’s just not pleasant. How about we explore other things that you can do [like] more natural soap?” I mean, there’s certainly lots of natural soap out there that can be used. Here’s the thing about that. I hear what you’re saying and I thought the same thing. My relationship is one of those where you can say to the person, “I love you, but you stink.”

And, in fact, I want to say Jenee, I feel like—and I laughed with my husband when I read this—I actually have firsthand experience with this thing. My husband, Brian, wonderful, beautiful man who I’ve been with for hundreds of years now, who I just adore and love, and he is just the sexiest, most beautiful human on the earth. He, every once in a while, has these natural hygiene ideas. One of them was when he went through this little phase where he just thought deodorant was toxic. And so he showers a lot, but he was experimenting with not using deodorant. And I pretty quickly detected this and inquired about it, and he shared this toxic ideology with me. I was like, listen, I don’t care. I don’t care if it shaves 10 years off of our lives. You’ve got to use deodorant.

Jenée: Every online conversation I’ve read about natural deodorants, which I’ve explored, kind of ends with people saying, well, you just have to get used to the way normally you smell as a human. It’s natural.

Cheryl: No. And I say this with real concern for the letter writer’s relationship because the minute you start using those words like grossed out and not enjoying skin-on-skin contact, when you start to be repulsed by your lover, that’s doom. That spells doom to me. You could be right that this relationship is very sensitive, and it’ll be devastating to the husband to hear the no-soap thing isn’t working. It could also just be that the letter writer is very considerate and sensitive and afraid of hurting somebody’s feelings. I think that the rule for me is when you do have to say something honest and hard to somebody and you are afraid of hurting their feelings—which is if I have to say something hard and honest, I’m always concerned about people’s feelings—there is a way to be kind and honest at the same time.

The letter writer can say, “I love you. You are the most wonderful person, and I couldn’t be happier with you as my partner. And I’m just feeling like your body odor is turning me away from you, and I don’t like it. I love you, but I don’t like it.” And sort of take it outside the, it’s not personal. It would be one thing if this person had a health condition that they couldn’t change or help. It would be like letter writer, you have to live with that and accept it or not. But in this case, it is a choice that the partner made to not use soap. It is a choice that has consequences. And one of the consequences is his partner is repulsed by him. So I think that I would want to know if I did something that repulsed my partner.

Cheryl: I always think about this. What’s the universal unsolicited advice I’d give to everyone? This is something I sometimes have people do when I teach writing workshops: Write down the one sentence that you’re not allowed to say or say out loud the one sentence that you believe you’re not allowed to say. And it’s just the truth. It’s just the truth about something you want or the way you feel about something. And I think that that is the way we grow and evolve and make our relationship stronger and better and the way we grow our own lives as well. Being brave enough to say the one true thing. And obviously, sometimes that one true thing is very deep. It’s like, I want to be a writer instead of an attorney, or whatever. And other times it’s like, I love you, but your body odor is turning me away from you. It sounds silly, but it’s a radical and necessary truth to share.

I don't know, if you're going to give up on regular, accepted hygeine, I don't think you get to be sensitive when people tell you you smell bad and they don't want to be around you. You should be thankful someone is wiling to tell you something so awkward.

eta:

Space Kablooey posted:

Cheese pizza is lame and boring though

Not if it's good pizza. I like toppings as much as the next person but sometimes it's nice to enjoy a chewy, well-made crust, a well-flavored sauce, and a nice blend of cheese.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 27, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You smell like dog rear end hun

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Akratic Method posted:

What the hell is “theater sports”?

Improv

And from his use of FIFO, I am assuming this bloke lives in West Australia or Queensland.

Making him an arsehole by definition

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Improv

And from his use of FIFO, I am assuming this bloke lives in West Australia or Queensland.

Making him an arsehole by definition

Now, now, he could also live in Tasmania.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

PokeJoe posted:

You smell like dog rear end hun

In fact, I've taken a swab from your skin and a swab from the dogs butt, and it turns out theyre scientifically identical !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
This one is interesting for the combination of Missing Missing Reasons, spinelessness, and wishy-washy advice.

Dear Annie: My boyfriend’s kids hate me so much, I wait in the car when they visit

quote:

Dear Annie: My boyfriend’s kids hate me for genuinely no reason. He sees his kids twice a week for dinner, a dinner which I cook, but then I have to leave the house while the kids are visiting with him.

It’s been five years of his kids ignoring me and kicking me out of the house when they come to visit. When this happens, I usually have to wait out in the car. It’s ridiculous. What can I do?

-- Five Years Excluded

quote:

Dear Excluded: I am shocked that your boyfriend allowed this sort of behavior from his children at all, but even more so that he’s let it continue for so many years. Something bigger is going on here, without a doubt. You might not have done anything directly, but it makes no sense for them to dislike you for “no reason.”

Open up the lines of communication with your boyfriend. He needs to know what kind of toll this treatment is taking on you. Hopefully he can provide some clarity on how his kids feel and, better yet, ways to put you all on the path to a more amicable relationship.