Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750531413823332651

Again just like with Riot

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1750543289227284649

I hate this industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

OW2 dev
https://twitter.com/TheHornetsFury/status/1750612652873928949

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A bunch of artists got let go as well as almost all the PvE designers. There is almost no chance we'll ever see the rest of the story missions at this point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a shockingly miserable end to what was supposed to have been a bold new dream. just a $15 gravestone to what could have been

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lie about the game investment to juice the launch numbers for the merger is pretty funny in retrospect

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sooo...I'm gonna file the game under "even deader than it already was" then.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

comedyblissoption posted:

lie about the game investment to juice the launch numbers for the merger is pretty funny in retrospect

i doubt a lot of things about blizz-act but i never doubt their ability to cash out

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Meanwhile OW2 apparently made $225m in its first year?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, and Microsoft got just valuated at 3 trillion dollarydoos. Doesn't matter, you're still gonna lose your job. Consolidation sucks.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Sounds like a lot but I don’t think it’s that good compared to what blizzard expected since the big boys take that in monthly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

novaSphere posted:

A bunch of artists got let go as well as almost all the PvE designers. There is almost no chance we'll ever see the rest of the story missions at this point.

At this point, will we even see another cinematic

Or is OW2 doomed to only use gameplay trailers for Season trailers

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Blizzard really stole defeat from the grasp of victory on OW. Just Wild how squandered and mismanaged it’s all been.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

i've heard claims ow1 made 5x that in its first year

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

novaSphere posted:

There is almost no chance we'll ever see the rest of the story missions at this point.
well what the gently caress else is new

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
People like the characters, can we have a cartoon?

Here is a prequel with none of the characters you enjoy.

Well I like the skins that you could get for free, they still do that right?

Recolors and bad skins only.

After all these years the game is finally balanced then right?

Lol

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Maybe it's just me, but Ive never cared about PvE, cinematics, backstory, cartoons, or anything else like that. I see big changes for season 9 and a big rework of the competitive league and I see a game that has a lot of people playing it still. The layoffs are of course insane corporate nonsense, but it's also what literally always happens with a giant company buys another giant company.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

toadee posted:

Maybe it's just me, but Ive never cared about PvE, cinematics, backstory, cartoons, or anything else like that. I see big changes for season 9 and a big rework of the competitive league and I see a game that has a lot of people playing it still. The layoffs are of course insane corporate nonsense, but it's also what literally always happens with a giant company buys another giant company.

Your username suits you lol

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Overwatch has been out for nearly 10 years, the team has lost significant people and a bunch got laid off, people online: maybe this year they will figure out competitive and balancing.

Like it’s season 9, in the sequel, they are still working out the basics.

Had they not had such an s-tier cast, presentation, audio design, and everything but the gameplay itself, OW would have never survived.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The S9 comp rework is basically being designed by one guy because all the other systems designers quit or got laid off. And I have no idea if this one designer even still has a job after yesterday. I don't think he knows either.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

novaSphere posted:

The S9 comp rework is basically being designed by one guy because all the other systems designers quit or got laid off. And I have no idea if this one designer even still has a job after yesterday. I don't think he knows either.

Just wait dude, the guy they pull off LinkedIn to balance and design S10 will nail it though.

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 26, 2024

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

S10 will have an annoying new CQB/Controller hero a la Mei and Reaper so can't wait :shobon:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

toadee posted:

Sure, if you're a diehard for the game itself that's probably all that matters and one could even be cautiously optimistic about it.

But just because it doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it's not an elephant in the room to either lapsed fans, other players, or anybody with a lick of sense who can see other games turning into multimedia phenomena. I suppose technically this would also matter to shareholders but anything that's a moneymaker would.

The brand identity and IP stuff is a big part of the reason why the game got as big as it did and if the population hadn't gotten to the size it did there wouldn't have been a large enough sample size to whittle down to what diehards remain. It's still impressive (derogatory) at how badly Blizzard fumbled the lighting they caught in the Overwatch bottle.

The fact that there are still people who care about it, or specifically lament it, says everything you need to know about the cultural penetration the IP used to have.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

prediction: they try to save the game by making ranked mixed input

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the true shaking the piggy bank upside down moment will be whenever they start doing crossover skins ala SMITE

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Like a One Punch Man Doomfist skin?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zet posted:

Like a One Punch Man Doomfist skin?

jesus christ i legit forgot they'd already done it lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

jesus christ i legit forgot they'd already done it lmao

lmao

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They also already did a Kpop crossover. The piggybank is long smashed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Make goku the next tank

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

comedyblissoption posted:

prediction: they try to save the game by making ranked mixed input

Hey on the upside if they do this we might get keyboard/mouse for console

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
so uh

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/1addd4k/season_9_leaked_patch_notes/

I'm not going to go through all the changes here but sheeee-it, the casualisation is accelerating. A couple of potentially good ideas but buried in a wall of WTF BLIZZ.

I uninstalled last week until S9 because it was just a horrible experience every time I fired it up. I think I'll wait to see what the commentary is around the balance and ranked changes before deciding whether to reinstall.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
All heroes now regenerate 20 health points per second after 5 seconds of not taking damage

proj size increases means damage output will be higher, that is balanced by character hp pools getting increased, but without support getting a comparable increase it effectively is a nerf to total healing output from supports relative to potential burst damage (albeit accomplished without actually nerfing support #s)

interesting changes if real

btw for anyone unfamiliar with fps balancing nuance, proj size changes are incredibly impactful to how effective guns feel and are. it might sound like a weird stat but it's basically just turning the damage dial up without further changing breakpoints

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just give us 6v6 back dang it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

making sustained damage stronger overall and giving everyone passive healing to encourage more flanking plays are good changes

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

increasing health pools and also damage at the same time is good imo. You won't insta die as often so healing is still very relevant, especially if you have good positioning with cover. But also if you can keep sustained damage on someone they should die more easily than before, which makes dps roles feel more impactful and removes instances of someone on the enemy team being way out of position but still not dying because of the focus healing.

whether the numbers they start with will actually enact those changes properly, who knows

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i will say that i'm very glad to see them willing to try something crazy and swing for the fences with season changes. it's indicative of a team that hasn't quite given up the ghost and gone into maintenance mode, and that at least gives some hope for the game's future

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vermain posted:

i will say that i'm very glad to see them willing to try something crazy and swing for the fences with season changes. it's indicative of a team that hasn't quite given up the ghost and gone into maintenance mode, and that at least gives some hope for the game's future

I'm sure they planned this before they got absolutely gutted by firings so we'll see how this goes

EDIT: also lol that almost everyone gets buffs except for Ana, who just gets the default health buff

EDIT 2: can't wait for Hanzo to be firing telephone-pole sized arrows into choke points.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 30, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Accelerating downhill as fast as they possibly can.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

All heroes now regenerate 20 health points per second after 5 seconds of not taking damage

proj size increases means damage output will be higher, that is balanced by character hp pools getting increased, but without support getting a comparable increase it effectively is a nerf to total healing output from supports relative to potential burst damage (albeit accomplished without actually nerfing support #s)

interesting changes if real

btw for anyone unfamiliar with fps balancing nuance, proj size changes are incredibly impactful to how effective guns feel and are. it might sound like a weird stat but it's basically just turning the damage dial up without further changing breakpoints
That health regen change is a LOT more material than I thought it would be. I thought it would be like 5 per second after 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I have not been enjoying the game and I'm close to uninstalling, but reading these changes makes me want to have a reaper season. I love when reaper is strong.

I guess all the sombras will nullify him though.

headcase fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 30, 2024